Avatar: The Last Airbender and the Mistake of a Movie

• Please log in to reply

7980 replies to this topic

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Feb 22, 2005 @ 2:33 PM

So, a new show debuted on Nickelodeon Feb 22. Avatar looks really promising, Miyazki-esque animation and well-scripted fight scenes. Will it end up like Invader Zim? Only time will tell. Nickelodeon will be re-playing the pilot episode all this week, before Avatar settles in it's "permanent" spot Fridays at 8pm. The pilot should re-play before then.

Marysmary

Marysmary

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 22, 2005 @ 2:49 PM

This show is actually pretty good! Does this show have a theme song?

Or is it just that introduction?

bossu

bossu

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2005 @ 6:19 PM

After seeing some early concept designs, my interest level was already high, but I still came away very surprised. The character animation was fantastic. I'm talking "straight-to-video" quality animation here; lush, detailed backgrounds, amusing character moments and imaginative fight sequences (re: Zuko v. Ang). The voices were also good; especially, the little kids who sounded like, well, little kids (re: "I gotta pee!"). I didn't come away feeling like the show's anime-influence was heavy-handed enough to be a distraction, and I think that will work in its favor. The show's creators seem intent to carve out a niche of their own and I think their well on their way to doing that.

What about the bad? Well, it's early, and I'm trying not to be blinded by the pretty animation. But I hope the writers expand on the reasons why Ang "disappeared" and why his powers "flare up" the way they do.

In case anyone's interested about the staff behind AVATAR, here's a recent article posted to AWN:

Link

Edited by bossu, Feb 22, 2005 @ 6:20 PM.

SeeeTeee

SeeeTeee

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2005 @ 6:33 PM

This show is really good. I love the idea of there being people who control air, water, fire and earth and that our hero can control all four. I love powers. I even love the giant flying bison.

I saw two episodes this weekend. The one with the girl warriors with the fans and the one where the village of airbenders is forbidden to use their powers by the fire people. Both were really good. I set my Tifaux to record all the episodes. I hope the Avatar makes it to the North Pole.

Marysmary

Marysmary

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 9, 2005 @ 7:09 PM

The animation is awesome I agree, it's wayy better than some you see nowadays..

They don't advertise it enough.

The Plot Device

The Plot Device

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2005 @ 7:23 PM

Caught a mini-marathon of it today. I'm pretty sure this is the closest American animation will ever get to Anime and I likes it!

dariusbig

dariusbig

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2005 @ 8:31 PM

I'm amazed at how surprisingly good this show is. The funny moments actually make me laugh out loud, the monster and character designs are actually really cool looking, and the characters actually behave realistically and interact in consistent ways. On Nickelodeon of all places. Who would have thought...

SeeeTeee

SeeeTeee

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2005 @ 7:18 AM

This show is so pretty. I can't believe I'm dvr'ing something on Nick. I want this show on dvd as soon as possible.

bakaney

bakaney

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2005 @ 11:40 AM

I've caught this show a few times by mere chance. And loved it. Even though I tend to think the writers merely twerked the Naruto backstory, it still totally works. And it's on Nick! Nick!
and

I'm pretty sure this is the closest American animation will ever get to Anime and I likes it!

So true.

Cet

Cet

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2005 @ 10:07 PM

Oh good, other people are watching Avatar.

This show is completely out of left field. It's the second one I've seen to sucessfully blend Eastern and Western animation for children's television (the other being Teen Titans). And surprise, surprise, Nickelodeon has it. Though epic quests and hand-to-hand combat have long been a staple of such shows, it's the first time I've seen it on Nick. It's a nice change.

Does anyone know where I can find a character list? I'm having a lot of trouble keeping the names straight, particularly the girl Water Bender and the Prince Fire Bender straight. (Prince Zuko? Prince Suko?)

Speaking of the Prince - it's a lot of fun to watch him fight. This is the first time I've seen someone directing elemental powers through their feet.

"Shouldn't we be running away from the large explosions?" - Saka

SeeeTeee

SeeeTeee

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2005 @ 8:07 PM

This show gets better every week but I'm really ready for the Avatar to learn some new elements. His growth is really slow. Hopefully his meeting with the former Avatar will light a fire under his little behind.

El Guapo

El Guapo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2005 @ 8:25 PM

A truly wonderful show. Wasn't expecting much, as I'm not an anime fan, but my 6-year-old and I are stone-cold hooked. Particularly like the off-beat characterizations, and some astonishingly inventive design and fight sequences.

My personal favorite episode was with the crazy earth-bending king. Gotta love the quicksand move he did with his feet, and taking the prisoners to the "refurbished room that used to be the bad room"

Don't ever want to see Uncle Airo in the bath anymore, though.

BTW, from below, Abba looks like a big flying caterpillar. Yip-yip!

jadeblue

jadeblue

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2005 @ 10:07 AM

My sister called last night talking about this show. My adorable little niece just LOVES it. (And my sister admits that she watches it when there are no kids in the room). I haven't watched it yet, but it sounds like a good show.

My nieceís birthday is coming up and my sister was hoping to get some Avatar merchandise for her. (Dolls, tapes, books, anything). I have looked around, but canít find anything. Do any of you have any ideas or sources? Is someone taping who would be willing to "tape swap" with me? Please?

ETA: After all my research, I am starting to get desperate. And, something happened with *both* episodes I tried to tape last night. If anyone has a tape of the shows/marathon they would be willing to share, I would really appreciate it. I will pay for the tape, s+h and your trouble. Thanks!! If it helps you understand, my I talked to my niece on the phone last night. She is almost 3. She kept saying that "my aunt jade is getting me an avatar doll." Her mom tried to explain that it might not happen. But, she is 3. Anyway, if there is a tape, that would help. Thanks again.

Also, tvtome has a pretty good description and character guide for the show. It includes news items, a broadcast schedule and a links to either watch or listen to the opening theme.

Edited by jadeblue, May 7, 2005 @ 1:04 PM.

jadeblue

jadeblue

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2005 @ 12:42 PM

I realize I was the last post, but I have edited my last one about 3 times now. (A telling view into my level of desperation).

I tried to tape the episode on Sunday and the power went off *again*. So, it was a bust for me for all 3 episodes that aired this weekend.

I really need help. If you have the episodes on tape, could you let me know if you would be willing to share? If you don't want to make a copy, I would be willing to do that for you. I could even edit out the commercials, etc. and send you that copy as well as the original back. I am willing to pay for the tapes, all S+H and your time.

So it doesn't just seem like I am begging for help and not contributing anything:

A link to a great Avatar Website

Marysmary

Marysmary

Video Archivist

Posted May 14, 2005 @ 9:53 AM

I had a tape of the marathons..then I recorded over them. 0_0

I don't think there are any Avatar merchandise..

ParasiteTwin

ParasiteTwin

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2005 @ 2:36 AM

I caught this show today and absolutely loved it. Big fat word about the surprisingly great animation quality. It's gaining some popularity, so Avatar merchandise might be a possibility in the near future.

blueeyedbaby210

blueeyedbaby210

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 23, 2005 @ 10:11 PM

I always wondered how Katara and her brother found out he was the avatar. Also, the frog thing was funny. They were saying how good they were and then they jumped out of their mouth.

Hugin

Hugin

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2005 @ 10:41 AM

I just saw this for the first time, ran across it randomly. It's so neat. I like the little world they've built and the character designs. It's clearly kiddie oriented but I still found it amusing, and the animation and action scenes are of unusually high quality.

Kalina Ann

Kalina Ann

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 16, 2005 @ 1:13 PM

New episodes of Avatar will supposedly air on Sept. 23. Just thought I'd mention it for those of you who would like to know.

bossu

bossu

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 16, 2005 @ 1:35 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't even know the show was in reruns. This is a great series, but I find myself forgetting to watch it (or record it) on fridays nights. I'm strugg-a-ling to keep up. This show needs to be on another day, but I read that its making a killing---ratings-wise---in its timeslot.

Dariendude15

Dariendude15

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 16, 2005 @ 4:28 PM

Although I think that a show of such high quality and such broad appeal is wasted on the now-tween-obssessed Nick, I still gush waterfalls of praise on it. After so many trial-and-error-anime-wannabe shows (Totally Spies, Martin Mystery, Super-Monkey-Robot-what-the-hell-ever, but not Teen Titans, I like that one), it's nice to see someone finally get it right and perfectly blend the east and west cartoons. Avatar is the epitome of western animation with an eastern influence. Now let's just cross our fingers and hope that Nick doesn't cancel it because it didn't reel in the teenagers.

Kalina Ann

Kalina Ann

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 16, 2005 @ 5:44 PM

Hey, Bossu, Avatar re-runs also show on Saturdays and Sundays. I'm not sure about the exact times, though. And this past Monday, Nickelodeon aired a couple of episodes in the early afternoon.

Penguin Zero

Penguin Zero

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 17, 2005 @ 2:05 AM

I am a bit miffed that I have yet to see the first two episodes. And also that the schedules Nickelodeon sends my Tivo bear only a vague, tangential relationship to reality. More than once, I've set it to record what was listed as those episodes, only to find, say, Catscratch, or Fairly Oddparents, in its place.

Ah, well. Hopefully I'll stumble across them sooner or later. Or, failing that, keep on trying until they decide to release a DVD many years from now.

Kalina Ann

Kalina Ann

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 17, 2005 @ 6:04 PM

I went on Amazon.com and discovered some good news. An Avatar: The Last Airbender DVD is in the works.

MartianIceQueen

MartianIceQueen

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2005 @ 5:29 PM

There's an article in the NYTimes, it sounds like Nick is quite pleased with the show...They're talking about doing a card game and a video game. No word on action figures.

Kung Fu Fightin' Anime Stars, Born in the USA

SeeeTeee

SeeeTeee

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 29, 2005 @ 7:20 PM

I would totally buy an Avatar video game. That would be hot. I'm happy to hear about the dvd too. It's so rare that Nick puts on something cool that I can't stop geeking out about this show.

But I'm ready for the Avatar to start training with fire and earth and water more.

davidmello

davidmello

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2005 @ 7:39 PM

New episodes on the 23rd? Great. I guess the second "book" will look at Ang's efforts to learn the other powers before that comet comes back. I also expect Prince Zuko to realize that his efforts to win back his father's love just aren't going to work, especially if that comet is supposed to make the Fire Nation Emperor almost invincible. Once that happens, this show will get a whole lot more interesting.

Edited by davidmello, Aug 29, 2005 @ 7:39 PM.

Cet

Cet

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 29, 2005 @ 10:26 PM

Woo-hoo, new episodes! Glad to hear that.

I also expect Prince Zuko to realize that his efforts to win back his father's love just aren't going to work

I'm waiting for Zuko to yell, "@%#! this!" and go join the happy little Avatar group. (With his uncle trailing after and reprimanding, "Watch your language!") After all, where else is Ang going to pick up Firebending skills?

Dariendude15

Dariendude15

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 30, 2005 @ 6:54 PM

That would be cool. I defiantely think it's a possiblility

It's so rare that Nick puts on something cool that I can't stop geeking out about this show.

Word. But as previousely stated, I just hope they don't cancel it before it's finished. That would ultimately suck.

Cet

Cet

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 30, 2005 @ 10:28 PM

That would be cool.

Hot, actually. Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

So, I can guess where the Firebending comes in, but I'm wondering about Earth. So far the group has only interacted with two Earthbenders (Ang's old friend (literally), and the kid in episode where the Fire Nation was enslaving Earthbenders.) In fact, Earth is the only major element without a regular representative in the show, which I find odd. Anyone else curious about this?

Also, anyone know which Book is coming next?