Andrew Van De Kamp: Totally Evil!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

716 replies to this topic

Darn

Darn

Stalker

Posted Feb 21, 2005 @ 1:03 AM

Well, that was surprising. I wonder how Bree and Rex will react. Being (not) gay is certainly better than being an unremorseful almost-killer druggie jackhole, right? You never know.

BigTomDC

BigTomDC

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2005 @ 2:39 AM

I wonder how Bree and Rex will react.

Bree will no doubt look for a suitable Christian academy where Andrew can receive intensive reorientation therapy, including electrodes strapped to Andrew's private parts.

Rex will buy Andrew his own handcuffs and cat-o-nine tails and ask his son to show Daddy some love and discipline.

Subsequently, Bree will perfect a new recipe for her prize winning Bran Muffins that incorporates both valium and saltpeter along with plump raisins.

kc2win

kc2win

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2005 @ 3:37 AM

Just your typical teenaged "not-gay" American Psycho in the making! Go Andrew!

nwestwood

nwestwood

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 21, 2005 @ 3:40 AM

Looking forward to seeing how this works out - especially if Bree freaks out like we know she will!

FYI interesting new article on the gay kiss/storyline, with a good quote:

Two teenage boys kissing in a pool isn't going to raise many eyebrows on a show that features storylines about a housewife seducing her teenage gardener, a PTA mom working as a high-class call-girl on the side, and a husband and wife exploring S&M.

Not4Me

Not4Me

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2005 @ 9:04 AM

Bree will no doubt look for a suitable Christian academy where Andrew can receive intensive reorientation therapy, including electrodes strapped to Andrew's private parts.

Gah! I'd hate to see Bree go all Anita Bryant on him. That would ruin her for me.

Cyb

Cyb

Stalker

Posted Feb 21, 2005 @ 9:29 AM

Maybe she'll just try a little good old "ignore it and it'll go away" because she thinks it's Andrew's way of "rebelling" or shocking his parents. Or maybe she'll think he's acting out as a result of his parents' marital difficulties. And then eventually she'll come to relish her role as Bake Sale Organizer for the local PFLAG.

cbs2news

cbs2news

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 21, 2005 @ 10:38 AM

SHe might even remove his penis as Rex suggested earlier.

Losky2

Losky2

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2005 @ 11:32 AM

I'm really unsure about how Rex will react. While I'm sure the initial reaction would be surprise and shock; since he has his own peculiarities would it be a double standard to accept his own but not accept his son's orientation? Even though he did say his is a "preference," would you think that given he's a doctor he'd have some knowledge of the research regarding homosexuality and that it isn't necessarily a choice?

Cyb

Cyb

Stalker

Posted Feb 21, 2005 @ 11:36 AM

SHe might even remove his penis as Rex suggested earlier.

Justin could share his for a while.

Edited by Cyb, Feb 21, 2005 @ 11:38 AM.

gertrude

gertrude

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2005 @ 1:30 PM

It's cool that they're doing a gay storyline with a male teen character. But it's too bad that a) said character is the thoroughly unlikable Andrew and b) said storyline will probably get next to no screentime.

deaja

deaja

Stalker

Posted Feb 21, 2005 @ 2:00 PM

Well, that was surprising. I wonder how Bree and Rex will react. Being (not) gay is certainly better than being an unremorseful almost-killer druggie jackhole, right? You never know.

Unfortunately, being gay doesn't change the fact that he is an unremorseful almost-killer druggie jackhole....... at least he's not one-dimensional!

rmk

rmk

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 21, 2005 @ 2:39 PM

a) said character is the thoroughly unlikable Andrew and b) said storyline will probably get next to no screentime

I know that some characters on DH are more likeable than others but I think every character on this show is going to have some pretty unlikeable qualites. I'm sure this storyline will show up again.

In May.

Jessica

Jessica

Stalker

Posted Feb 21, 2005 @ 3:11 PM

Please check before starting a new thread. We had a combined Andrew and Danielle thread, which I've closed because I do think they need their own. But in the future, make sure you're not duplicating stuff.

Thanks.

Edward1985

Edward1985

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2005 @ 3:51 PM

Some jackhole on the ABC site wants to boycott advertisers so that they'll get the gay storyline pulled. I find it a bit silly since this person obviously had no problems with all the other storylines in the show.

Unusual Suspect

Unusual Suspect

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2005 @ 4:48 PM

I just accept that the PTC and their crowd hates this show even before the gay plotline, and that's indicative of the PTC.

My main concern is that it looks like Andrew is gonna repress his orientation, and Justin is gonna get hurt.

Darn

Darn

Stalker

Posted Feb 21, 2005 @ 5:44 PM

Please check before starting a new thread. We had a combined Andrew and Danielle thread, which I've closed because I do think they need their own. But in the future, make sure you're not duplicating stuff.

For the record I did. I had no clue their threads were combined and only searched for something with Andrew Van De Kamp in the title.

Knots Landing

Knots Landing

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2005 @ 6:56 PM

I've always found Andrew interesting, and this new development just takes him to a new level and it--makes total sense!

I too can't wait to see what the very Republican Van De Camp's have to say. BTW, I thought the Camp was spelled with a C not K. Am I wrong?

druish princess

druish princess

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2005 @ 8:21 PM

Since the creator is a republican, I find it very amusing how the Van de Kamps ( I like to spell it like the fish rather than the recreational area) are portrayed. I wonder if he will make them compassionate conservatives or Sponge Bob avengers.

FakeFratDude

FakeFratDude

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 21, 2005 @ 8:26 PM

Wow... his personality has layers!

Ana Isabel

Ana Isabel

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 21, 2005 @ 8:40 PM

Since the creator is a republican, I find it very amusing how the Van de Kamps ( I like to spell it like the fish rather than the recreational area) are portrayed. I wonder if he will make them compassionate conservatives or Sponge Bob avengers.

The character of Bree is actually based on Marc Cherry's mother, so it makes perfect sense for Bree to have a gay son. I'd imagine that this storyline will play out very much like Marc's real life experiences with his mother.

But then again, I highly doubt that Mama and Papa Cherry were going at it S&M-style, so you never know.

And for the record, it's spelled Van de Kamp. Says so on Bree's checks to Dr. Goldfine, Rex's hospital records, Rex's prescriptions, and on the official ABC site.

GoBruins

GoBruins

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 21, 2005 @ 9:20 PM

Although Andrew can be a major asshole at times, I don't think he's all evilness. I really liked that scene he had with Bree in his bedroom after she got him out of the strip club. It was a nice tender scene between the two actors. I can't wait to see the reactions of Rex and Bree either when Andrew comes out of the closet.

I wonder if he will make them compassionate conservatives or Sponge Bob avengers.

Since Mark Cherry is a gay Republican, I doubt he will make Bree a SpongeBob avenger (hee!). I'm glad that Bree had a picture of Ronald Reagan instead of George W. Bush too.

sugahoney77

sugahoney77

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2005 @ 12:29 PM

Although Andrew can be a major asshole at times, I don't think he's all evilness.

I don't think so either. It wouldn't make sense that Justin was starting to fall for him if he was. Andrew probably has a sweet and sensitive side that we just haven't seen before, and probably won't see for years to come. That being said, I agree with those who think that while Justin would eventually want their relationship to become public, Andrew will break things up along with his heart. Awwww...

JalapeñoSpiceBoy

JalapeñoSpiceBoy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 22, 2005 @ 1:10 PM

I always thought Andrew was cute, until he showed up on Sunday night with that hair. WTF? They're totally uglifying him with that do and they better cut it quickly. I really hope they don't turn him into a total soulless unfeeling jerk like they were threatening to make him out to be. We have enough soulless unfeeling jerkish teens in real-life.

BTW, aside from Nicollette Sheridan, Mark Moses, Roger Bart and Harriet Sansom Harris, was this the first time we had all the characters in one episode? Even Penny made an appearance this time around. I thought that was neat. The main problem with this show is that they continue to introduce new plotlines without advancing the 2468 they've already introduced, forcing us to wait 16 months before they return to one. It's really annoying.

kc2win

kc2win

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2005 @ 1:48 AM

Andrew probably has a sweet and sensitive side...

Well, the only time we saw a sensitive side was in Episode 11 when he found out Rex did indeed cheat on Bree, and he took Bree's side for once. Mother and son actually had a bonding moment. I could almost imagine he was once a sweet kid before becoming an offensive teenager who smirked at everything. Remember his "Mama" plead to Bree at the end of Episode 7 after the hit and run.

For someone who has only appeared in 7 episodes so far (1, 4, 7, 8, 9, 11, 15), he has certainly grown on me. Shawn Pyfrom is a fairly good young actor who has great chemistry with Marcia, which really brings the tempestuous mother and son relationship to life.

Edited by kc2win, Feb 23, 2005 @ 1:53 AM.

Hick

Hick

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2005 @ 4:51 AM

I like Andrew. Of course he's far from being an angel, but who in this show is. In the few episodes he appeared in, he became a really layered and multidimensional character, much more so than some of those who are in the credits. And yes, as a person he is unlikable, but not more so than the other characters on Wisteria Lane. The only one who are more or less sympathetic are Susan and Julie, the others are so much fun, because they are not sympathetic, but still human and with good sides.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Feb 23, 2005 @ 2:40 PM

I have stayed away from the recaplet and these boards until I could FINALLY watch my tape of the show last night. I did not see the Andrew is gay thing coming. I like it, though. It gives him some depth and could make for an interesting storyline for him, since it looks like the Mama Soliz thing is going on the back burner (at least for the moment).

I really liked how it was played out, too. A lot of teenagers struggle with their sexual identity. I wouldnt have expected him to be all "yeah, I'm gay. What of it?" when Susan caught him in the pool. Well done, writers.

mr_nobody

mr_nobody

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2005 @ 10:47 AM

This probably won't happen because it would end up being perceived as politically incorrect, but I think it would be really interesting if it turned out that Andrew doesn't want to be gay because some embittered older gay man filled his mind with horror stories from the gay singles' scene. (And as a gay man who has heard some stories himself, I can tell you "the scene" does indeed have a pretty massive sleazy underbelly full of some of the most messed up people you'd never want to meet!) That way young gay men who might be watching the show could learn that there are things that as young gay men of which they should really steer clear, and that just because you are attracted to your own gender doesn't mean that you need to let a bunch of lost and clueless people define what "being gay" is for you.

Apologies if I sound a tad bitter myself, but sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade, IMHO.

Late Lamented

Late Lamented

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 8:48 AM

I was just reading Jessica's recap of the pilot and I was struck by how amusing this particular sentence seems in hindsight:

Wee dickweed Andrew -- who, I am telling you now, will make his future wife's life hell

Perhaps Lynette could give Andrew's wife some pointers on how to survive marriage to a gay man.

fadooski

fadooski

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 5:00 PM

I don't think I'll ever like andrew. The one most consistent aspect of his characterization so far, is cruel indifference to to other people. The way he's treated his mom, his lack of remorse for putting Mrs. Solis in a coma and now the fact that he's callously using another guy for sex; a guy who's in love with him, no less. He's just too cold.

Also, as a gay man, I have no sympathy for closet cases who conduct their intimate lives with such duplicity. He's lucky, at his age, to have a cute guy who loves him and instead he's shitting on that.

ArtificialLard

ArtificialLard

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 11:08 PM

Also, as a gay man, I have no sympathy for closet cases who conduct their intimate lives with such duplicity. He's lucky, at his age, to have a cute guy who loves him and instead he's shitting on that.

I noticed that you said as a gay man. Keep in mind that Andrew is far younger than man-age (less than 18, too lazy to look up actual age...) And teenagers in that state of transition frequently act out and do strange things with their feelings, particularly if they have to wrestle with the gay. This would probably be compounded by the fact they seem to be living in a suburban neighbourhood and Andrew is in a heavily conservative family, that would make any young gay kid confused.

And he really hasn't done anything yet, although his 'I'm not gay!' line near the end probably has the Andrew Denial= Hurt Justin storyline coming up. Still we should see before judging. I actually like this take on a young gay storyline and it could've been a lot hokier, and I also like how Justin is actually kind of cute. Usually the 'gay guy' has this asexual 'gay face' vibe as Jack McFarland once said.