Leave It to Beaver

• Please log in to reply

259 replies to this topic

bumblehare74

bumblehare74

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2008 @ 4:53 PM

She had clear expectations as to her her sons' conduct, but she didn't make impossible demands of the boys nor did she berate them at length when they made mistakes. I thought she was a pretty good mom, overall.

I agree with you.

I do think Ward does compare well with Andy Taylor. Those two dads, didn't always seem to have a
great amount of faith in their kids. Where as, Fred Rutherford seem to pump up his appreciation for Lumpy in public, but in private not so much.

Groovy Chainsaw

Groovy Chainsaw

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 2, 2008 @ 6:19 PM

Today is Jerry Mathers' birthday -- The Beaver is 60 !

Happy Birthday, ya little goof !

dustylil

dustylil

Stalker

Posted Jun 2, 2008 @ 8:48 PM

Today is Jerry Mathers' birthday -- The Beaver is 60 !

So he was eleven when he first started playing the Beaver? I thought he would have been a few years younger.

andyllina

andyllina

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 2, 2008 @ 9:23 PM

So he was eleven when he first started playing the Beaver? I thought he would have been a few years younger.

He was nine years old. Leave It to Beaver premiered in 1957. Jerry Mathers was actually two years older than Beaver, who was seven when the series began.

dustylil

dustylil

Stalker

Posted Jun 2, 2008 @ 10:46 PM

andylina, of course. My apologies.

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2008 @ 4:54 PM

Jerry Mathers was actually two years older than Beaver

I did not realize that. It kind of, sort of, explains some of why Beav in the later seasons was so horrifically awkward, if he was consciously trying to play younger than he was. Sadly for JM, the facial expressions that said "cute little kid" at the age of nine are no longer cute at 14-15.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Aug 5, 2008 @ 5:33 PM

I don't know how you guys feel about the New Leave It To Beaver series that was on TBS but I watched it when I was a kid in the 80s. A young Giovanni Ribisi played Wally's daughter's boyfriend. I know it's nowhere near as good as the original but Eddie Haskell turned out just the way you think he would. My favorite episode(after the one about an good conditioned Fantastic Four #1 Beav's kid found) is when June reminisced about how she first met Ward at a USO during WWII. They flashback to their younger selves. I checked and it didn't really from the old continuity. Ward did say he was in the Seabees. I just thought Barbara Billingsley was really great.

candynecklace

candynecklace

Fanatic

Posted Aug 5, 2008 @ 5:54 PM

I never watched that, but if it were re-run, I'd check it out.

Eddie Haskell is great, isn't he?

indianhoop

indianhoop

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 7, 2008 @ 4:21 PM

Eddie Haskell has to be one of the signature TV characters of the last 50 years. How many TV characters can you apply a character trait/flaw to i.e "That kid is such an Eddie Haskell!!" Not many. Great work Ken O.

candynecklace

candynecklace

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2008 @ 6:21 PM

Eddie Haskell has to be one of the signature TV characters of the last 50 years.

On one of those "Top TV Characters" lists, he ranked pretty high, but now I can't track down what it was. I believe it was the TV guide list.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2008 @ 3:51 PM

Wow, Dow!

'Leave It to Beaver' actor to show at the Louvre

Edited by Limbonaut, Nov 11, 2008 @ 3:51 PM.

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2008 @ 3:55 PM

How cool! I had no idea that Tony Dow was also a sculptor (and has been, apparently, for most of his life).

candynecklace

candynecklace

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2008 @ 8:12 PM

Good for him-I bet he's thrilled. I didn't know he was an artist either.

About LITB-wish TV Land were running it at a more accessible time for me-I sort of miss seeing it! I've decided I like the early ones, when Beaver was little and getting into trouble with sidekick Larry Mondello, and the later ones, when Beaver (and Jerry Mathers) was at his awkward adolescent stage. I say that because in the later ones, the focus shifted to Wally, which I liked and a lot of those episodes were pretty funny. Besides having Eddie Haskell being more of a smart ass than ever.

dustylil

dustylil

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2008 @ 9:06 PM

Congratulations Mr. Dow!
I always knew my long ago crush on Wally was warranted.

mhinrichs

mhinrichs

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 16, 2010 @ 7:20 PM

R.I.P., Barbara Billingsley.
http://www.latimes.c...0,7345907.story

I've been watching the earliest episodes on Netflix and find myself surprised at how sharp the writing was (especially the Ward/June exchanges); the show is not nearly as corny or dated as its reputation suggests.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Oct 16, 2010 @ 9:04 PM

Yeah Ward and June were always really kind of unexpectedly cool in their scenes. I love how they were both on to Eddie Haskell's act.

RIP Barbara.

Edited by Limbonaut, Oct 16, 2010 @ 9:04 PM.

Homily

Homily

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2010 @ 9:10 PM

I never saw Leave it to Beaver as a child and have only seen a handful of episodes as an adult but I have to say I really liked what I saw. It was nothing like I expected it to be. And a large part of that surprise was the wonderful Barbara Billingsley. Even with the pearls and the dresses she was still a cool mom and I loved the interaction between her and Hugh Beaumont and the boys. RIP Ms Billingsley.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Oct 16, 2010 @ 11:17 PM

I'd like to think she's now teaching jive to Hugh Beaumont.

Seeing the earlier praise of Eddie, I have to concur and was totally shocked to discover the actor was a complete straight arrow in real life and quit acting to become a cop once the show was over.

dustylil

dustylil

Stalker

Posted Oct 17, 2010 @ 12:25 AM

Yeah Ward and June were always really kind of unexpectedly cool in their scenes.

They were, weren't they! Ward and June were pretty much my favourite sitcom married couple of that era. The characters showed genuine fondness and mutual respect for one another. Rare then and rare now.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Oct 17, 2010 @ 2:11 AM

I also got a kick out of seeing Barbara and Hugh Beaumont in other roles. Hugh was in two B-movies shown on Mystery Science Theater 3000, "The Lost Continent" and "The Mole People". A couple of years ago I saw The Bad and The Beautiful starring Kirk Douglas and Lana Turner and directed by Vincent Minnelli about an ambitious producer. I was surprised to see Barbara in this scene.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Oct 17, 2010 @ 11:20 AM

Beaumont was also supposedly the narrator in the MST3k short A Date with Your Family, though he isn't credited.

My favorite episode is when Ward and June invite Miss Landers for dinner, and Beaver and his friends realize that their teacher is a real person. It's such a great representation of the mindset of that age, when your teacher seems to be this larger than life figure who only exists for their time with you. The best moment is when they're shocked that she has toes.

fernsehen

fernsehen

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 17, 2010 @ 1:43 PM

Limbonaut: Yeah Ward and June were always really kind of unexpectedly cool in their scenes. I love how they were both on to Eddie Haskell's act.

And how Eddie had no idea for a long time, until Ward was on the extension when Eddie and Wally were talking about some trick Eddie pulled. Ward told Eddie that if he didn't fix whatever it was, Ward didn't want to see Eddie at the Cleaver house ever again.

Ward used to be a little sarcastic with June from time to time (proto-snarky?), which seems realistic for people who've been married for close to 20 years.

I heard the news on the radio this morning. I didn't know she'd been ill. She lived to be 94 years old, which is considerable, to say the least.

RIP and thanks for everything, Ms Billingsley.

oceanblue

oceanblue

Stalker

Posted Oct 17, 2010 @ 4:45 PM

And June gave the snark back as good as she got it. I liked that it was never mean snark, always in fun.

candynecklace

candynecklace

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 11:22 AM

I'm sure Ms. Billingsley never thought her June Cleaver character would become a part of pop culture-Go June! I loved the show when I was a kid, and I still love it. Hopefully TV Land will do a mini-tribute and run some episodes this week.

GoMocs

GoMocs

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2011 @ 11:53 AM

I posted this elsewhere, but thought yall would enjoy it. Hugh Beaumont spent his teenage years in Chattanooga TN. He went to the University of Chattanooga (now University of Tennessee at Chattanooga) for his freshman year, then his family moved to southern California. Hugh was on the freshman basketball and football teams. Below is a photo of the freshman basketball team for the 1930-31 year, photo from the yearbook. Hugh is the one below the arrow. Also, anybody but me think that the tall kid in the middle back row looks like Ryan Stiles? :)

http://blog.lib.utc....-Basketball.jpg

Edited by GoMocs, Jul 27, 2011 @ 11:53 AM.

ThemsSnails

ThemsSnails

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 27, 2011 @ 7:39 PM

Very cool, GoMocs, thanks! Just curious, who's the guy on the left with his leg amputated? He looks young enough to be a student/player; was he injured in the war?

GoMocs

GoMocs

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 28, 2011 @ 7:33 AM

No idea, guessing he was the team manager. This would have been 10-11 years after WWI, so he would have to be 28 to 30 to be from WWI.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 12:16 AM

I borrowed a LITB DVD from the library and was watching the fifth season episode where June and Ward were worried that Wally was getting serious with a girl whose older sister was already married to a guy just three years older than Wally. They thought Wally hanging out with them would give Wally ideas about marrying too young. Then Wally and the girl went to have dinner at her sister and her husband's apartment. The sister had her hair in curlers, they had broken furniture and when the husband got home from work they started arguing in the other room. It wasn't as bad as married people fighting in real life of course, where if they were living next door you'd call the cops for domestic abuse, just kind of slightly raised voices arguing about money. It took me a while to realize that the young husband was played by Ryan O'Neal!

Houston77055

Houston77055

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:42 AM

I borrowed a LITB DVD from the library and was watching the fifth season episode where June and Ward were worried that Wally was getting serious with a girl whose older sister was already married to a guy just three years older than Wally. They thought Wally hanging out with them would give Wally ideas about marrying too young. Then Wally and the girl went to have dinner at her sister and her husband's apartment. The sister had her hair in curlers, they had broken furniture and when the husband got home from work they started arguing in the other room. It wasn't as bad as married people fighting in real life of course, where if they were living next door you'd call the cops for domestic abuse, just kind of slightly raised voices arguing about money. It took me a while to realize that the young husband was played by Ryan O'Neal!

Ryan playing someone with domestic issues? Some jokes just write themselves...

GreekGeek

GreekGeek

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 7:21 AM

I'm re-discovering some of the episodes on Netflix streaming. I saw "In the Soup" yesterday, and the parts about the soup billboard were funny, but it sure took a long time to get Beaver there! A lot of screen time was taken up by the preparations for Wally's party--which Beaver managed to screw up without even being in the house. (Nobody was coming to Wally's because they were too busy staring at the billboard.) I thought people didn't contact Beaver's parents because they didn't know it was Beaver there; he was doing his best to stay hidden. I was also expecting June to serve Beaver a bowl of that same soup to comfort him after his ordeal!

One thing that struck me was that the show admitted parents were not always right, and that Ward and June could create problems as well as solve them. Case in point--"School Play," where Beaver was cast as a canary. Ward's "pep talk" scared out Beaver so much that he almost didn't go onstage at all, and ended up switching roles with Whitey (a mushroom!) And in "The Tooth," Ward's insistence that Beaver be a "brave soldier" caused Beaver to have a screaming and crying fit at the dentist's that the whole waiting room could hear. In other episodes, June also made Beaver unhappy by sending Miss Landers that "cute" baby picture of him in the altogether, and by not wearing the blouse he bought her.

I especially liked the "Voodoo Curse" story, with a very young Eddie. The irony is that "Pinocchio," which Ward and June wanted the kids to see instead of the voodoo horror movie, could easily have freaked out Beaver just as much or worse!