Intervention

• Please log in to reply

18838 replies to this topic

moldyfig

moldyfig

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 21, 2013 @ 4:18 PM

Does anyone know what happened to Allison's cat after it was taken away?

Her mother kept it for a while, like a year and then Allison flew out to get it and returned back to where she was, CA maybe.

LoftyHouse

LoftyHouse

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 21, 2013 @ 7:50 PM

Valerie really bugged me. I think she was enjoying being on TV entirely too much. Every talking head was well-coiffed, made up and spoken as if scripted.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed this.  I got a too-perfect, scripted vibe from her the second she appeared, but it was really cemented during the intervention when she read her letter.  It was so obvious that she wrote the letter months in advance, and had sentences ripped right from other episodes of the show.  To wit, she said the old standard: "if you don't enter treatment, I will no longer be a part of your life..." line, but of course in the pre-intervention, Donna had advised her to separate from him and move on regardless of whether or not he goes to treatment.  So she simply tacked on a new line at the end along the lines of "I need to let go and let you move on."  It was so transparent. 

I can only imagine that this has probably happened before since the show's been on the air for quite some time, but I've never seen it so transparent and obvious.  It really rubbed me the wrong way.  I usually feel so bad for the loved ones of the addicts, (as I did for Eric's father in this episode), but man, she was horrible.

suznw

suznw

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 21, 2013 @ 11:01 PM

Not sure if this has been posted,  Post Intervention Deaths

aussieinsydney

aussieinsydney

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 21, 2013 @ 11:32 PM

Thanks for the stories, both successful and not so much. I'll miss you, Intervention.

sunrisepink

sunrisepink

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 3:57 PM

I got a too-perfect, scripted vibe from her the second she appeared, but it was really cemented during the intervention when she read her letter.

The whole episode seemed a little contrived to me. I almost had a feeling that for the series finale they were going to throw in some twist or do some kind of mock intervention as a nod to the loyal fans. Perhaps I've just gotten too used to today's brand of scripted reality TV. In any case, I didn't really appreciate all the weird filming techniques and cut-screens. Intervention is dramatic enough without those gimmicks.

Fairyinterested

Fairyinterested

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 5:18 PM

For the last episode it was a great disappointment for me. It was a short season to begin with and then we get a halfsie at the end. They made changes for the worse IMO. 

The only part I did like was the end with the past interventions. I actually would have enjoyed an hour of updates rather than the half assed double.

And now my Tuesday phone call with my father will be without recapping the episodes. I loved you like crazy Intervention.   

edie3

edie3

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 7:56 PM

So glad to see Sylvia doing well.  I thought I read somewhere  that Cristy had died, this was on the A&E board.newpaper.jpg

Oh, sorry says the article is a hoax on the boards.

Edited by edie3, Jul 22, 2013 @ 7:29 PM.

Norasuke

Norasuke

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 8:16 PM

On that wonderful BuzzFeed feature, Ken is quoted as saying, "Always at the intervention, I ask who is the fastest runner." Who would have guessed that Limber-Limbed Lollipop-Lickin' Linda would've been the fastest runner at her own intervention?

Joymarie

Joymarie

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 8:50 PM

Fortunately for Linda there was a wide open parking lot so she didn't have to turn left 

Orton

Orton

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2013 @ 12:42 AM

Eric's story was a bit of a meh note to end on. The only thing that stood out to me, other than camera-loving friend Valerie, was that he looked like a cracked out version of Andy Roddick. And that Eric seemed to have received the best genes from his parents looks-wise (compared to his dumpy brothers) and the worst genes addiction-wise.

It did amuse me that post-rehab Eric didn't appear to miss Val at all. He was all about meeting someone else and settling down, whereas she'd hinted that she could envision them getting back together if he stayed sober for a few years. Guess sober Eric figured he could do better.

StephInMN

StephInMN

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 24, 2013 @ 3:16 AM

I watched Linda's episode today (free if you have amazon prime!) Wow. Her mom really DID believe her delusions!

I do wonder, though, what mental illness suddenly began at the age of 27. That's late for schizophrenia.

Hope Sam is doing well and has a happy life. He deserves it.

And yes, after that running, her mother should have been more convinced than ever that she didn't have joints popping out all over. But she had doctors convinced enough to give her fentynol lollipops and social security to give her disability! so...yeah. She must have been quite convincing with her popping out sockets. She WAS disabled, just not with whatever it was she said she had.

Funniest part:
"I can't make left turns."
"What?"
"I can't make left turns"

"Then make three right turns and you're there."

Indy1

Indy1

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 24, 2013 @ 7:42 AM

Funniest part:
"I can't make left turns."
"What?"
"I can't make left turns"

"Then make three right turns and you're there."

I loved this part.  Poor Sam.  I've said it before, but I really hope he's somewhere where he can wear red and turn left. 

Major Misfit

Major Misfit

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2013 @ 9:20 AM

I finally got around to watching the final episode and...meh. It seems like after this truncated "final season" and last year's season that started featuring the WSOJ and the fancy editing/music, that everyone involved was just phoning it in. I will miss what Intervention was--but not what it became. It ended with a whimper, not a bang.

I wished they had an update on Gabe, Chucky (the Three Dog Night lead singer's son), and Jimbo the scariest asshole ever to be featured on this show.

moldyfig

moldyfig

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 24, 2013 @ 10:39 AM

I think that Intervention should have done an episode, or 5 minutes or so, of the interventionists talking directly to the camera and saying their catch phrases, acting out a mini-intervention on the viewers, with the recovered people reading "letters" saying "If you do not give up the show, I will no longer..."

About Linda possibly being schizophrenic, I knew someone who had a psychotic episode in her 20s.  She didn't tell the family because of familial schizophrenia, then was fine until she went full blown schizophrenic in her early 30s.  Unfortunately she was also Jehovah's Witness and it played into her psychosis.  Sometimes I miss the days of opening my door to two Witnesses signing at me, as I'm deaf and they have a huge group of deaf/signing members.  Yes indeed, this woman signed me up for visits, but alas, it was when she was not in psychosis so it can't be blamed on that.

I'm not surprised that Linda is out and about, or has unfettered net access even if she's in a mental health facility.  They are not prisons, and as long as you're physically healthy enough and not a danger to yourself  or others and you can function enough to deal with the outside world, you're allowed out. 

I wished they had an update on Gabe, Chucky (the Three Dog Night lead singer's son), and Jimbo the scariest asshole ever to be featured on this show.

I read that Gabe is working as a medical technical writer and still gambling his parents' money away.

Edited by moldyfig, Jul 24, 2013 @ 10:40 AM.

The Mighty Peanut

The Mighty Peanut

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 24, 2013 @ 10:58 AM

I still find it unbelievable -- I mean, I believe it, but it's unbelievable -- that the alcoholics seem to have the highest death rate post-intervention. You'd think it'd be heroin, but nope -- "boring" old legal alcohol. 

Edited by The Mighty Peanut, Jul 24, 2013 @ 10:58 AM.

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2013 @ 11:13 AM

It seemed that most of the addicts had very strong bodies underneath the addiction.  There were so many who I couldn't believe were still alive after what they did to themselves.

Bruno 75

Bruno 75

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 21, 2013 @ 6:26 AM

I don't know if it has been mentioned elsewhere, and if so I'm sorry for the duplicate, but there are 5 new episodes of intervention on youtube (search for "intervention final 5"). AFAIK, these were never broadcasted (but I don't live in the US). The BSOJ of the last episode (E05) gives the overall success rate of the show over its whole lifetime.

Well I think some of them are really good. Esp. the one with Dana, who became addicted to pills and then crack cocaine after losing her children in the fire of her apartment. In the same episode, we can see Angry Candy upstaged by another counselor. Yep! I know, I know, hard to believe...

JCVinEden

JCVinEden

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2013 @ 8:40 AM

...and I’m a professional and I don’t want to look at your face.

I have got to figure out a way to use this line at work.

I thought I read somewhere  that Cristy had died

I think the hoax is that she's still alive. What the heck is that girl made of? Does the military know about it?

mythoughtis

mythoughtis

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 21, 2013 @ 2:09 PM

Bruno75

Those episodes were broadcast.  They were the final season.

StephInMN

StephInMN

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 21, 2013 @ 9:14 PM

Isn't Kristy in a residential care facility?

CoCoYoYo

CoCoYoYo

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 22, 2013 @ 11:15 AM

Isn't Kristy in a residential care facility?

I was under that impression as well. There is a video linked a few pages back where her sister comes to visit along with her dog.

Tony Gancarski

Tony Gancarski

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2013 @ 9:37 PM

I think (hope) this show will be remembered as one of the seminal 00's shows with real value. It definitely put a ton of real, relatable names and faces on addiction and the impact of such on families and friends. In a way, I think it ended at the right time because I really didn't want to see them trying to top their own levels of viscera. Ending the series with two or three shows made of updates on some of the subjects would have been nice but the brief montage worked well, I think.

Indy1

Indy1

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 29, 2013 @ 2:10 PM

I was listening to Eminem's newest song "The Monster" this morning on the radio and he makes a Jeff Van Vondren reference.  Not sure how I feel about the song yet, but I do love a good Intervention reference in anything pop culture. 

raiderred

raiderred

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 20, 2013 @ 2:21 AM

Indy1, I was coming here to say something about JVV, too. Nice shout out, Eminem, because we miss him like crazy!

LadyScorpio

LadyScorpio

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 2:41 AM

I loved this show, is it canceled? Does anyone know if you can buy the dvds of it?

Xerographic

Xerographic

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 2:49 AM

I loved this show, is it canceled?

Yes, it was canceled back in May 2013.

LadyScorpio

LadyScorpio

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 3:46 AM

I wonder why they canceled it. I thought it was really good

Kathleen8

Kathleen8

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 8:58 AM

I think it had something to do with the fact that people were manipulating the show.  Like that bulimic guy towards the end that sent his own letter in and was in on it the whole time.  I mean, as good as this show was, the formula can only work for so long.  At some point, people are going to realize they are not in a documentary about addiction and that they are "soon facing an intervention."

louveciennes

louveciennes

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2014 @ 1:37 PM

I loved this show like crazy and have been watching old episodes on YouTube. Lollipop Linda was all over the comments of her own episode of course, her user name is linkizzy77 (also her email address @yahoo.com). She claimed she was no longer "abusing" pain killers, but was still claiming to be in horrible pain from EDS. And there was a whole lot of babbling about healing people with tourmaline crystals, generating static electricity, and being able to detect radiation levels in people affected by the Fukushima reactor meltdown. So whatever the truth about her drug use, as of 2 years ago (when most of the comments were made) she was still crazier than a s***house rat*. Oh, and she also claimed that Sam was abusing her.

*I have sympathy for people with mental illnesses, I'm just not sure Linda has one. I think 1/3 of her problem is drug addiction, 1/3 is her being a histrionic manipulator, and the remaining 1/3 is her being dumber than a bag of hammers. Lots of people believe stupid crap, they don't all have "delusional disorders".

I think the hoax is that she's still alive. What the heck is that girl made of? Does the military know about it?

LMAO!

Edited by louveciennes, Feb 9, 2014 @ 9:38 PM.