Old Yellow Eyes: Lt. Commander Data

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

204 replies to this topic

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2007 @ 6:00 AM

Data is in bed, in order to "sleep" and when he wakes up (with a start, naturally) from his nightmare, he is in his full uniform. I don't know if this was intended to be funny, but I thought it was awesome...

ITA. That IS funny. Data in his jammies would have been cute, too. He's the only character we never see wearing any off-duty casual attire. I don't count "The Most Toys" since Data didn't want to be dressed in something other than his StarFleet uniform.

Jank

Jank

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2007 @ 3:37 PM

Yeah, when I mentioned this to Mr. Jank, he thought it would have been even funnier if he were in Picard style jammies - a blouse and hot pants.

jessicajason

jessicajason

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 10:25 AM

it would have been even funnier if he were in Picard style jammies - a blouse and hot pants.

That would be hilarious! But then poor Mr. Spiner woud have had to be covered in even more of that awful gold paint.

Jank

Jank

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 11:26 AM

B'ah. He was well paid for it.

Gilmel

Gilmel

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 1:27 PM

I actually liked that Data was in his uniform while sleeping. I think it spoke really well to his character that he always felt on-duty and was first and foremost a Starfleet officer.

Jank

Jank

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2007 @ 8:48 AM

I figured it was just the he couldn't feel comfort, so why bother changing clothes. Did he even have other (casual, off duty) clothes?
He was adorable in period costume, though. Especially Sherlock Holmes type holideck adventures...

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2007 @ 12:43 PM

Data didn't have to worry about dead skin cells, perspiration or body odor. He wouldn't really need a change of clothes unless wrinkling was a factor. His sleeping in his uniform was consistent with his character being android, but I'd like to think that Data would have chosen jammies since it's so human. Pajamas with the little feet would have been priceless! Might have lead to Android GrrAnimals.

Cleo256

Cleo256

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2007 @ 3:15 PM

Did he even have other (casual, off duty) clothes?

He had some in Insurrection. Other than cases where it wasn't his choice or when he was on the holodeck, I'm completely stumped trying to think of any other time he wore casual clothes.

Jank

Jank

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2007 @ 4:08 PM

I just did a search of Star Trek pajamas and found you can buy Barclay's PJs on eBay. Off topic, I know, but I want to buy them.

Edited by Jank, Apr 10, 2007 @ 4:10 PM.

Cleo256

Cleo256

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2007 @ 2:24 PM

Over in the quotes thread, Roark13579 said:

Yeah, I know Data didn't understand idioms sometimes; I'm just saying that was dumb. He's got a computer in his head that's considerably advanced for the 24th century, and he doesn't have a decent dictionary tucked away in there? Or a cached copy of Wikipedia? I could understand him not being able to use idioms well himself, maybe. Like humor, it can be hard to come up with well-defined rules for when they work. But not being able to understand their meanings when other people used them, that was just silly.

I may have said this before, so I apologize if I'm repeating myself. But I think Data's problem is more identifying when an idiom is being used than in understanding it. In countless cases, someone uses an idiom and Data interprets it literally. Then they'll identify it as a figure of speech, and Data does that "accessing" eye movement he does, and then goes, "ah, [dictionary definition of the idiom in use]", and he more or less understands.

The ability to use idioms and the ability to identify them are more or less the same, and it's a skill Data lacks. But he's programmed to know what they mean.

Dahak

Dahak

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2007 @ 6:53 PM

Cleo I buy that theory. I just don't understand how Data ever got to Lt. Cmdr. without Riker, Geordi, Wesley, and the others to guide him through. Did his first few ships over the 15 or so years just hate him and never talked to him? Sure it sounded interesting to have an android as third in command but it just raises a lot of questions.
I don't mind naive Data who doesn't know when to be quiet. I just don't like 20 year old Lt. Cmdr naive Data who didn't know when to be quiet.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2007 @ 9:26 PM

Did they actually say that Data served on other vessels? He might have just worked in one place where everyone just left him more or less alone and he was promoted because he excelled at his work.

Gilmel

Gilmel

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2007 @ 12:37 AM

I don't know if they ever said that exactly, but it seems unlikely that, even as a Lt. Cmdr., he'd be third in command of the flagship if he'd never been on a ship before.

Mr Nice

Mr Nice

Video Archivist

Posted May 24, 2007 @ 2:50 AM

In the first season ep Datalore, he talks to Lore about his rise through the ranks, and refers to serving in the ensign and lieutenant grades on a veriety starships.

chancellorjake

chancellorjake

Fanatic

• Interests:I love most forms of Sci-Fi including Star Trek (especially DS9), Stargate, and BSG. I'm, also, a fan of quality cartoons including Archer, Venture Brothers, Frisky Dingo, Kim Possible, and the returned Futurama.

Posted May 24, 2007 @ 12:28 PM

In the episode with the xenophobic energy aliens, Clues?, he mentions encountering an unstable wormhole while serving on the Trieste.

Jank

Jank

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2007 @ 12:08 PM

He went to the acadamey at least. He had to have contact with humans and learn a little about idioms there.

John Potts

John Potts

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2007 @ 6:11 PM

It was probably just anti-android prejudice. Look at how Picard doesn't put him in charge of a ship in Redemption (Part 2) until Data points it out - despite having seen Data running a watch on the Enterprise a few times (happens onscreen in Data's Day). I'm guessing that pre-Enterprise he was even less prepared to complain about stuff.

Gilmel

Gilmel

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2007 @ 8:20 PM

I don't understand how anti-android prejudice prevents Data from learning idioms.

Locutus

Locutus

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 11:45 AM

That is the one thing about Data that was puzzling to me. During the 1st season he acted as though he had very little contact with human interaction/communication, yet later we learn he's been in Starfleet for 26 years. He really should of picked up more in all that time, even if everyone ignored him. Script lines used for humor, such as not knowing what snoop and the like is just off. Doesn't he at least have a dictionary in his memory banks.

Mr Nice

Mr Nice

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 12:21 PM

During the 1st season he acted as though he had very little contact with human interaction/communication, yet later we learn he's been in Starfleet for 26 years.

Even without the specific cite of 26 years, even the first season itself indicates that he's been in starfleet for years in DataLore, as I already mentioned Data tells Lore that he spent x years at the academy and several years in the ensign and lieutenant grades (and some unspecified amount of time as Lieutenant Commander is implied).

John Potts

John Potts

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 12:34 PM

Sorry, I wasn't being very clear. I think that Data is still only a Lieutenant Commander because of anti-android prejudice, not that it inhibits his ability to learn idioms (although it probably wouldn't help if people aren't prepred to talk to him - he comments that he found the whole social side of the Academy problematic - in The Game, I think - he's definitely talking to Wesley about his time in the Academy) . Over the course of the show Geordi goes from Second Lieutenant to Lieutenant Commander (and Chief Engineer), Riker is offered (but declines) numerous promotion chances, Ensign Ro becomes a Lieutenant, even Troi gets a bump from Lt Commander to full Commander (yes, Troi outranks Data).

Though I now realise that I've probably been misreading Dahak's post about how Data managed to get to Lt Commander without Riker, Geordi, Wesley and others.

Gilmel

Gilmel

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 1:48 PM

Doesn't he at least have a dictionary in his memory banks.

Yes, he does. And the theory proposed on the previous page makes sense to me regarding the dictionary and Data's difficulty with idioms.

I think that Data is still only a Lieutenant Commander because of anti-android prejudice, not that it inhibits his ability to learn idioms

Oh, okay. That I get.

Edited by Gilmel, Jun 13, 2007 @ 1:49 PM.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 9:51 PM

Maybe Data is only a Lieutenant Commander because he hasn't tried/accepted any promotions? Data knows he doesn't have the hang of everything yet, especially when it comes to intereactions with people, so he probably just advanced as far as he felt he deserved on skill and then is just staying there until he feels he will be able to actually deal with the responsability.

cjane

cjane

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 17, 2009 @ 6:12 PM

This reminds me of a time when a friend was trying to decide if she'd ever had an orgasm. My retort was that she must not have, because orgasms are unambiguous. So too with minds.

If you are a male, you really can't understand her question or her answer. Female orgasms happen on so many different levels, from so many different types of stimulation.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Nov 17, 2010 @ 9:32 PM

That is the one thing about Data that was puzzling to me. During the 1st season he acted as though he had very little contact with human interaction/communication, yet later we learn he's been in Starfleet for 26 years. He really should of picked up more in all that time, even if everyone ignored him.

Yeah, I wondered about this too. 26 years in Starfleet and he acts like he's only just begun to work with and study humanity.

By the time of Star Trek Insurrection, Spiner and I think Braga had begun to hate the emotion chip for whatever reason and wanted to get Data back to the way he was on the show. In ST Nemesis, there's a deleted scene where Data asks Picard why everyone so sad at the wedding. Sometimes I felt like they always wanted to show Data learning about humanity but never show him applying what he has learned. I also thought the decision to pretty much get rid of the emotion chip in the later movies was stupid.