Talk Long and Prosper: The Meet Market

• Please log in to reply

19140 replies to this topic

Peachy Keen

Peachy Keen

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 6:06 PM

Peachy Keen, you remind me that in some other online circles I'm in, they have a tradition of emergency khaki's. Though the problem with those is that everyone knows you put them on.

If I had been driving my own car instead of my mother's aircraft carrier, I would have had emergency pants. Er, pajama jeans, whatever. ;)

Good to hear from you, Jake! I was just wondering if the dark cloud you claim hangs over you had turned into one of those tornadoes and blown you away!

If my Dad will return home on Sunday night. And will not need a pill until Monday morning. When the Pharmacy will be open. Then why the hell does my mother insist on sending me to the pharmacy TODAY? *bangs head on desk* Sometimes I wonder if she things these things through. Or maybe I'm just annoyed because the lady couldn't find the right pills and then was suspicious that I didn't look like [Dad]Keen. *eyeroll*

In other news, The Keen Parents and TeenK left for Elk Snout last Thurs morning. On Thurs afternoon I got a text from the nephew informing me that he had forgotten his shoes and could I please mail them ahead to Nebraska. *boggles* I've been getting myself out of bed, showered and dressed for the day by myself since the 7th grade. He's 22. How the hell can he get in a car for a cross-country roadtrip without shoes?

But it did lead to a hilarious exchange between me and the post office worker. She wanted to know if the goods I was shipping contained hazardous materials. "nope!" I chirped. Then I thought about it. Which made me giggle. Which I then had to explain to the postal worker who must have thought I was a loony for giggling about hazardous materials. "They are the shoes of a 22 year old. They aren't technically hazardous, but I sure wouldn't want to open the box!" She got the joke and offered to stick a hazardous sticker on the box anyway. heh. That wouldn't be at all suspicious.

nelamm

nelamm

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 3:08 AM

jake, it's done three times a year, on the morning of Holocaust Day, and the night and morning of Memorial Day, a week later (the day before Independence Day, which itself is an amazing experience). I always try to be outside when it happens- it's incredibly moving to see, especially on a busy street.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 7:39 AM

Michigan has superheroes. I am both intrigued and scared.

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

Michigan has superheroes. I am both intrigued and scared.

I'm going to have to do some reading on crime levels in Petosky. I've never considered it a dangerous place (nice for vacations though). I'm almost sad there's no one covering my area (the Sentinal in Grand Rapids is the closest).

I've been working the 6 to 4 shift to get some testing done quickly and it's killing me. I'm a night owl and just can't get to sleep any earlier than 10 (if I'm lucky) to go with the earlier start time. The paychecks have been very nice though (I'm still contract so actually get overtime (they've told me a few times the process has started to make me full time but, apparently, this is very slow)).

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 6:18 AM

I hear ya', akg. Took a temp job to make ends meet, it's a rigid 730-4. Getting up early enough to make that was quite a shock to the system.

Edited by cutecouple, May 4, 2012 @ 5:04 PM.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 6:18 PM

This is the most geographically unique skillet set ever. As a custom set, it's horrifically expensive. And some of them seem awfully small.

Still, kinda neat.

Edited by cutecouple, May 6, 2012 @ 6:21 PM.

frenchtoast

frenchtoast

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 5:26 PM

Hee. The pandhandle are of Florida or Texas just got a whole new meaning. That's pretty awesome.

Also awesome--showers. It's so nice to take a shower by myself. I also can make it up and down stairs which means I've been sleeping in my own bed instead of the playroom futon. However, considering the problems we've been having sleeping, I might move back down to the playroom.

It's also nice to be able to meander to the kitchen and get a cup of coffee or a glass of water and carry it back to the living room. Crutches are not fun.

I read Wicked while laid up. It's not my favorite book ever. And I wonder how the hell it was made into a musical. When my headache goes away, I might poke around the internet to see if I can find the synopsis because I'm intrigued.

ETA Aaaand it was really changed. I would argue they even changed the basic premise of the novel, but I think they made it better, so good for them. I still have a headache, though. Dammit.

Edited by frenchtoast, May 8, 2012 @ 8:47 PM.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 8:09 PM

Aha! Found it! After a long time, I have finally found a scan of Nadja Daviar. Is it just me, or does she resemble T'Pol?

I have the original book, but no scanner. One day, I decided to do use this thing called Google...

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 5:57 AM

I have friends who never think to use Google. It boggles me.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 6:48 AM

Google is usually one of my first stops, along with Wikipedia and the relevant sub-wiki. But I think I tried it once before, and didn't get that pic.

So am I seeing things or not?

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 10:33 AM

I didn't really enjoy Wicked either, frenchtoast, but I couldn't completely decide if it was the book or the fact that it stopped too early (when Dorothy killed the witch. Which is where the story of the witch should end but it felt strange to not continue the other perspective on the Wizard of Oz). My aunt got us tickets to the musical next month and I'm happy to know the story has changed.

We're having some testing done in Montreal and I get to go out and observe next week. Has anyone been? Any recommendations on what to do with my minimal free time? I'm looking forward to using my french. Unfortunately, it's been a while and I have no experience with canadian french and minimal knowledge of technical french.

Peachy Keen

Peachy Keen

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 11:39 AM

On my way to work this morning I found my Dad starting to replace the old front door with a new one. He was frustrated because he can't take down the door while Mizu the Cat is running around, because Mizu would run away and TeenKeen would be devastated. "I just can't get that cat to let me lock him in another room!" Dad wailed. I raised one eyebrow. Then without raising my voice I spoke just one word. "Kibble." A streak of black fur races down the railing/bookshelf/staircase and straight into my room. I shut the door. Heh. I would have used the word "PWNED" next but then I'd have to explain it to Dad. Who, on a related topic, doesn't use Google either. *sigh*

Congratulations on the mobility, Toast! I remember how luxurious it was to be able to get my own stuff without waiting for a person passing through to get it for me.

Work has been quite busy. Every person who calls starts screeching "Emergency!" They insist on being put at the top of the emergency list and they are quite rude about it. How on earth did all these people get to their ripe old ages without knowing that being rude to the person who answers the phone does NOT actually get you better service? (Perhaps I should note that "emergency" is not a life/death emergency, just something that needs to happen quickly. I'm not killing anyone. Although there are some I'd like to.) And if everyone is on the Emergency List, then it stops being the Emergency List and just starts being The List. *sighs again*

keeptrying

keeptrying

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 8:37 PM

We're having some testing done in Montreal and I get to go out and observe next week. Has anyone been? Any recommendations on what to do with my minimal free time? I'm looking forward to using my french. Unfortunately, it's been a while and I have no experience with canadian french and minimal knowledge of technical french.

Ooh, I've been! I love Montreal. Whereabouts are you?

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 9:07 PM

Whereabouts are you?

The facility I'm visiting is in Chambly. I'm not sure how much free time I'm going to have but I'm hoping to explore a little.

belsum

belsum

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 9:55 PM

Oh my gods you guys. I got a frickin iPad for Mother's Day!!!

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 7:33 AM

Ooooooooo. Awesome.

Happy Mother's Day everyone!

Edited by cutecouple, May 13, 2012 @ 7:36 AM.

frenchtoast

frenchtoast

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 9:02 AM

Wow, that's so awesome! Now the trick is not let the kids play with it. Because, I'll admit, I'd be the first to let them play games and such on it, were I so lucky to get one.

And having said that, I don't think my kids were too interested in the gift they got me--1776. But I love it and look forward to watching it. And considering that July 4 is less than two months away, I may be able to wait until then. I was a bit shocked when making my next hair appointment after having my hair cut and asked for 8 weeks and she said July 3. And the other lady getting her hair done was a bit shocked, too.

My other Mother's Day gift is Mr. Toast cleaning up the yard from the very mild winter we had. He made gluten free pancakes this morning. And the kids let me sleep late, though I met them coming out of their rooms with their cards.

Happy Mother's Day you fabulous Trek moms!

chancellorjake

chancellorjake

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 11:04 PM

1776. But I love it and look forward to watching it. And considering that July 4 is less than two months away,

I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace; that two are called a law firm; and that three or more become a Congress!

I Love that movie, toast. It is such a good film. William Daniels is a delight as John Adams. Howard Da Silva just shines as Ben Franklin. He's the real star of the film.
I watch it every 4th on TCM and on DVD anytime I need a mood boost.

Very nice, bel. Is it all Trekkian and such?
I honestly admit that I have no clue what it does as I'm living in the technological stone age over here. Just last week, I had a clerk tell me that DVD's and DVD Players were dead and that everything will be digital before the end of the decade.

frenchtoast

frenchtoast

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 6:22 AM

If everything is going to be digital, Verizon better improve their broadband. No way in hell can we use the DSL to download video. It takes longer to download than the video take to play. Not to mention, you know how they're always saying back-up your data. Well, backing up video is DVD/blu-ray. Or am I thinking crazy? We still need hard copies is what I'm saying.

Then again, I got irritated with the e-reader I got for Christmas because the battery would die while I was reading. Then again, it was a cheap, crappy one and Mr. Toast got so irritated with it he returned it. Also, libraries are very constrained with the books they can lend out electronically and until the publishers realize that people might want to borrow the books rather buying the electronic version, especially since the e-version costs the same as the paper version. Sigh. I am such an old fart.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

I was mildly annoyed to find out that in parts of Minneapolis, there's a faster, cheaper option than cable broadband, fiber optic. Grrrr.

I honestly admit that I have no clue what it does as I'm living in the technological stone age over here.

Broadly speaking, it does whatever you want it to. With hundreds of thousands of apps, plus access to the internet, the possibilities are endless.

That said, I believe like every other iDevice, it can be given a name. belsum?

belsum

belsum

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 8:48 AM

No name yet. It's not even been a week so I'm still getting used to the thing. Figuring out what apps replace my usual internet haunts. Using the camera. Playing with the interface. I haven't attempted an ebook yet. My librarian aunt was trying to explain the convoluted lending rules for electronic reading materials and it's incredibly restrictive.

So tell me if I'm way off base here, OK? Yesterday was the office birthday cake gathering for May birthdays. And being one of the May birthdays, I was asked what kind of cake I would like. I provided THREE different places (of varying cost and difficulty) to obtain gluten-free cupcakes. When I got to the cake party yesterday there was NONE. Just a regular ole sheet cake. I mean, I'm not expecting them to go out of their way every month for me. But this was MY birthday month! I was really upset and I don't know if I should say anything or not. They're normally really, really good about that. Making sure there's something gf when we do lunch meetings and the like. Which made it that much more of a let-down I guess.

frenchtoast

frenchtoast

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 10:56 AM

Wow. If they didn't go out of their way for lunches etc, I'd say they just don't get it. But they obviously do, so I don't get why they were so uncaring about it. In a few days, when it doesn't sting as much, may be you could offer to bring in some GF cupcakes since you weren't able to share your birthday with others like your colleagues. The kill them with kindess route. Or, more likely, the passive-aggressive route. Of course, it would set the precedent that you will bring in GF goodies, but honestly, that might be the better thing to do anyway.

Since I'm a terrible person, I'd probably bring in cupcakes and not share. Or the show them how it made me (well, you) feel.

ETA Oh, and I meant to say that it is darn near impossible to "borrow" a book electronically. I read a little about it on my library's website and it seems like there's an impasse somewhere. I don't get it, but it's annoying. Because an electronic book costs as much as a paperback and a paperback won't run out of battery. There are some books that I'd love to have electronically--Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and Harry Potter spring to mind--but only for ease of travel. And since I don't go anywhere, it hasn't really come up yet. If I could easily borrow books electronically, I'd buy a Nook or a Kindle in a heartbeat. But that's not possible yet, so I can wait patiently until then.

Edited by frenchtoast, May 18, 2012 @ 11:55 AM.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 11:36 PM

Or, more likely, the passive-aggressive route.

Which is a very Minnesota thing to do.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 7:20 AM

I haven't attempted an ebook yet. My librarian aunt was trying to explain the convoluted lending rules for electronic reading materials and it's incredibly restrictive.

When you get an ebook program, sometimes they have a limited selection of free books you can download and try. It's a good way to at least check out the interface. Kindle, Nook, iBooks, they're all there.

When my parents got Nooks last year, I was looking into setting up borrowing ebooks from the library for them, but my sister waved me off. I looked at the rules anyway. Very restrictive, and technically complicated. I'm sure you could handle it belsum, but it looked like a pain. And comic books purchased legally on a device seem to be the same price as the real ones.

And apparently, my home town drive in theater is being targeted for replacement by a WalMart. LeSigh.

Peachy Keen

Peachy Keen

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 6:16 PM

I think it's a terrible thing that you missed out on company birthday cake, belsum. I do have one question: Do they regularly get more than one kind of cake if more than one person is having a birthday? Because if they do, and they just flat out ignored your request after they specifically asked you, then I might ask the cake buyer what happened.

Actually I'm hoping that you bring in your own cupcakes, and eat them at your desk, while re-enacting that scene from When Harry Met Sally, where Meg Ryan REALLY enjoys her meal to prove a point. Just to have you look around and say "Gluten-free, folks. Don't know what you're missing." I bet EVERY cake would be gluten-free from then on out!

My mom bought my dad a Nook last year for his birthday, and I don't think he's ever used it once. (I don't think he can figure out how to download books, personally, but maybe he just doesn't like it.) This year she's talking about getting him some kind of tablet. I took her to the neighbor's to let them show her their new Galaxy. Mom looks surprised that it does pretty much the same stuff as her phone. "Why would he need a second device?" *shakes head* Clearly my mother didn't get the memo that in order to be happy you just need More Stuff. Sheesh!Do I have tot each them everything??

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 6:41 AM

Yay, rain.

frenchtoast

frenchtoast

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 8:57 AM

Yeah, as annoying as it's been getting rain lately since we want to get out in the yard and get stuff done (or rather, Mr. Toast does because I'm still in a surgical shoe. Just another week.) As I was saying, we had such a mild winter, and dry one, that municipalities were worried about water supply in the summer months. Spring rain is definitely welcome.

When I was little, my parents rarely bought us stuff while out getting the necessities. For the most part, I don't either because it would be hella expensive. But, I caved yesterday while out shopping for a birthday gift and a few summer things for crostini. (School is great but birthday party invites are met with dread.) I bought SB a Captain American shield and face/helmet. He's so excited about it. Crostini went for the Hulk foam fists which given her irritation with every little thing and how she yells about it, is just right. She's bothered that she doesn't have a helmet or anything, so she wants to add Thor's helmet. Yeah. They loved The Avengers. We had watched both Iron Man movies, Thor and Captain America when I was ordered to the couch during Spring Break, so all detail stuff was very fresh in our minds. SB hasn't started watching Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes on Disney XD yet, but I have a feeling he will probably start soon.

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 9:27 AM

If you have netflix, toast, Earth's Mightiest Heroes is available on instant. I've been catching up. I'm very glad Crostini is figuring out her own Avengers costume. The Target ad with the boys running around a store imagining themselves as superheroes always entertains me until I get sad that there isn't a girl. And, as awesome as Black Widow was, I'm not sure little girls should be dressing like her.

frenchtoast

frenchtoast

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 11:45 AM

We don't have Netflix (because we don't watch the movies we do have), but I looked up on Amazon and I can get it from their Instant Video. We'll have to discuss with SB because of the way the computers/TVs are set up in the house. In other words, the kids take over my laptop, but they're usually limited in time. To be fair to the kids, they usually self-limit and after a half hour, SB gets up and goes outside. Physical discs might work better for us. So he might not want to waste that time from Moshi Monsters (good lord is that a punishment onto parents and I can only bless headphones) with something he might be able to watch after he takes his shower. We'll see how it goes.

He's equally as excited over the albino alligator that arrived at the local zoo yesterday. I have a feeling we'll be visiting the zoo in the next few weeks.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 10:13 PM

Now I'm thinking of "Adventures in Babysitting".

We finally finished 20 hours of rain today.