The Whipping Post: Bo Bice

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

13628 replies to this topic

Jacob

Jacob

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2005 @ 6:23 AM

Okay, you're not Boo Radley.

Now show me who you actually are.

Thread title by the effervescent Purplish.

Edited by Jacob, Mar 29, 2005 @ 2:12 AM.

Adetunji

Adetunji

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 17, 2005 @ 6:31 AM

Okay, you are a rocker and your favorite band is Matchbox 20, and your friends would be surprised you own a Metallica album? I am calling bullshit on this one.

I mean it's fine, you have your box, you are crammed into your box, you have self-cramming into the box. But girl please. Sheryl Crow and Matchbox 20. whatevah.

Lexcentric

Lexcentric

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2005 @ 7:13 AM

"Bice Bice Bo Bice, banana fana fo fice"... whoever came up with this gem in the episode threads ? you rock... and so does he...

Edited by Lexcentric, Feb 17, 2005 @ 7:14 AM.

WanderingSnark

WanderingSnark

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2005 @ 9:31 AM

I really don't find myself saying this very often but when looking at the standing/posing portion of his pic I though "Damn... Bo is effin HOT!" Being a straight guy that's in a "Wish I looked more like him, chicks just gossa dig him" than a "Wish I could date him" way but it caught me off guard nonetheless.

I dunno he's never declared himself a rocker; though the show and ConstantCreed did so I'll wait to pound on him about his bio answers. He didn't for example say that if he didn't win Idol he'd continue to 'rock'.

I can say that I think that this is damn impressive though:

What other talents do you have? I play piano, guitar, bass, sax, harmonica and write songs.

Edited by WanderingSnark, Feb 17, 2005 @ 9:34 AM.

RichJ7

RichJ7

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 17, 2005 @ 10:02 AM

Bo is an excellent musician who has long been a favorite on the North Alabama music scene. He's very talented, and he's a helluva nice guy. Glad to see he's doing so well.

Never heard him play any of the others, but he's a very good guitarist.

Edited by RichJ7, Feb 17, 2005 @ 10:03 AM.

FellowWaitress

FellowWaitress

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 17, 2005 @ 10:06 AM

FellowWaiter said to me, "Why do you keep cheering when this guy makes it through?"

"I just like him, okay? Don't ask me to explain it."

"His look is completely cheesy."

"DON'T ASK ME TO EXPLAIN IT."

jsgoddess

jsgoddess

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 17, 2005 @ 10:31 AM

I can't explain why I'm rooting so hard for Bo Bice, either, but I am.

Go Bo! Even though you get the name game stuck in my head for hours, I still like you!

Right now, I'm hoping for a final with Bo and Anwar.

darkguardian

darkguardian

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2005 @ 10:44 AM

Okay, you are a rocker and your favorite band is Matchbox 20, and your

Wether or not this makes him a rocker or not the fact is that AI were the ones that proclaimed him a rocker. I've never heard him say he is (though Constantine did) in fact I've hardly heard him say anything at all.

As to the music choices. Thats favorite POP band. I'd be hard pressed to name a authentic rock band that is considered pop as well. I dunno about the Metallica thing, but he doesn't strike me as a metalhead, rather a southern rocker. Chances are if he's a good guitarist as people say (which is way cool) then he bought the Metallica album for the guitarwork.

I haven't heard enough to know wether I like him or not but because he looks like me and is a guitarist like me, so he gets my vote.

lightwards

lightwards

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 17, 2005 @ 11:01 AM

TPTB are clearly trying to create a rivalry between Bo and The Big Con, somewhat like what they did with Julia DeMato and Kim C. It's only because they are in alphabetical order by name, but I laughed outloud when I saw that Bo and Con were right next to one another on the contestant page. Although Con's head is (appropriately) twice as big.

Bo doesn't seem to be on board with the manipulation, though. He seems like a real sweety. I hope he does well on Monday, because the competition is going to be stiff.

RichJ7

RichJ7

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 17, 2005 @ 11:59 AM

dark guardian:

He really is a great guitarist. I hadn't heard him in awhile, but he popped in at one of my band's recent shows (a dual gig with another band) and sat in, playing and singing "Voodoo Chile". He's great. I've only met him a couple of times, but he's pretty tight with our vocalist and the guys from the other band that played that night. If you go to the American Idol forums and search for Bo Bice, I think my pal Craig has put up a link to some of his vocal/guitar work. There are also some pics of Bo performing on our website. If you're interested, I could get you the links.

Mmm... Free Goo

Mmm... Free Goo

Stalker

Posted Feb 17, 2005 @ 3:08 PM

Anyone notice that Simon and Randy refer to him as "Harold". Probably to point out that he's not a REAL rocker, in contrast to ConstantPoser.

I don't think Bo's a "real" "rocker", because they wouldn't audition for AI. But he isn't really shoving it down out throats, and hiding a theater background in favor of pimping the band he left to audition.

Make It So

Make It So

Stalker

Posted Feb 17, 2005 @ 3:17 PM

While I think Me My Mo Rice can sing, I think I'll tire of the perpetual hair-flinging schtick quite quickly.

darkguardian

darkguardian

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2005 @ 3:18 PM

I don't think Bo's a "real" "rocker", because they wouldn't audition for AI. But he isn't really shoving it down out throats, and hiding a theater background in favor of pimping the band he left to audition.

Randy calls him Bo. Only Simon calls him Harold (unless I missed a time when Randy called him Harold too), and I agree with you that he probably does this because he hates Bo (rockers in general I think).

As for being real. There is no doubt in my mind that he's the real thing, from what people on other boards who know him and work in the clubs where he lives say the guy has been toiling in the club circuit for some time.
I think if you watch his video bio you will get a sense of a guy who loves what he is doing but feels he's not getting anywhere with it and wants to achieve some measure of success. Its damn hard to do that in the music business these days in any genre and rock is not doing as well as it used to. Thats why all the rockers who auditioned this year are older I think.

Edited by darkguardian, Feb 17, 2005 @ 3:23 PM.

Grace_Dimitri_fan

Grace_Dimitri_fan

Posted Feb 17, 2005 @ 3:22 PM

I'm hoping for a Bo Bice vs. Scott Savol finale. That would rock. Best voices in the competition. Bo rocks and I loved his manner last night. Low-key, respectful, caring but not betting his life on this contest. However, his fans are really going to have to power-vote to make sure he gets to the Top 12.

Gracie 77

Gracie 77

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 17, 2005 @ 3:36 PM

My grandfather's name was Harold. People called him Pete. Which makes about as much sense as "Bo." NOTE TO BO: Making something alliterative does not make it good.

I'm glad to hear that he's genuinely talented, but I'm just not digging him. I think it's the hair. It's not 1987 anymore. Blech.

Cherry Wire

Cherry Wire

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2005 @ 5:30 PM

I like this guy, but you've got to be realistic about his chances. He's basically in a showdown with Constantine since there's really only room for one long-haired rock god in the final 12. And in that matchup, he's the clear underdog, regardless of talent, because all the viewers know who Constantool is by now. It would be a sweet upset if Bo came out on top, though.

TheDuchess

TheDuchess

Posted Feb 17, 2005 @ 5:34 PM

I REALLY hope he beats ConstanTool in the rocker vs rocker showdown.

FellowWaitress

FellowWaitress

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 17, 2005 @ 6:30 PM

I'm thinking he'll be one of the first to go. I'm not liking this thought.

I predict him and Aloha Guilbeaux. Out in the first or second week.

Phan

Phan

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2005 @ 7:37 PM

I'm pleasantly surprised that Banana Nanna Bo Bice made it through to the Top 24. Hopefully, he'll stick around for at least a few weeks.

Neato

Neato

Posted Feb 17, 2005 @ 8:09 PM

I was cheering when he made it through. I too really hope he beats ConstanTool, especially after watching both their "introduction" videos. He needs a bit more flash of his personality though.

RobertBlue

RobertBlue

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2005 @ 8:46 PM

Wait? How did TPTB let a real musician through on American Idol? Has this happened before?

He's my favorite, which means he will make the final 12 and get booted immediately, like Lea Labelle, and Vanessa Olivarez, and (I'll admit it!) Ejay Day. Or else he'll barely crawl his way into the top three ala Nikki McKibbin or Jasmine Trias and be hated by everyone. Or he just won't make it out of the semi's, like Rodesia Eaves, or Patrick Lake, or Patrick Fortson, or Suzy Luca, or Briana Ramirez-Rial...

Whatever. Maybe he'll beat this trend of me actually liking a contestant making the semi-finals. Hopefully. Good luck Bo Bice (hee)! Make us real musicians proud.

note: I am not trying to argue that there haven't been talented people on the show before. I am just saying that Bo Bice seems to actually know and understand more about music than just singing, a fact I believe seperates a musician from just a singer, or just a guitar player, etc.

Neato

Neato

Posted Feb 17, 2005 @ 9:42 PM

'American Idol' picks 24 semifinalists

- Bo Rice, 29, Helena, Ala. Has performed live and recorded with Johnny Neel of the Allman Brothers.

Here is another excerpt from a bio run down on the 24.

'American Idol 4' wraps auditions, reveals its 24 semifinalists

Bo Bice, a 29-year-old from Helena, AL (Auditioned in Orlando) - Bo Bice is a native of Alabama and currently lives in Birmingham, AL. He has performed in shows all across the USA, UK and Ireland after starting his career at the age of 9 in a local school competition. Bo has performed with many bands, which helped mold him into the singer he is today. He has opened for Blackfoot and Warrant, and has performed live and recorded with Jonny Neal of the Allman Brothers.

Edited by Neato, Feb 18, 2005 @ 12:25 AM.

Girlysogroovy

Girlysogroovy

Posted Feb 17, 2005 @ 9:57 PM

It will be interesting to see what TPTB do with his "look."

Grace_Dimitri_fan

Grace_Dimitri_fan

Posted Feb 17, 2005 @ 11:36 PM

Hey, Neato, and I was just thinking that Bo reminded me of the Allman Brothers. I missed the heyday of classic rock music in the seventies, so I'm excited to see throwback Bo and how he just knows how to interpret a song so the lyrics sound like they mean something.

mercenary13

mercenary13

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2005 @ 12:42 AM

I will be pleasantly surprised if Bo makes it, but I won't be holding my breath. Will the people who actually vote be willing to send a real rock musician into the final 12?

Actually, Bo, Crapstantine, Scott, Anwar and Judd Harris in the final 12 would make me very happy.

Baralai

Baralai

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 18, 2005 @ 1:39 AM

I like him. He's better than Constantine, that's for sure.

tvweb44

tvweb44

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2005 @ 2:04 AM

A ticket on the Bo train please. His voice was the only one to make me hit rewind. He reminded me of Gregg Allman. I love the raspy voices. He has the most unique voice of the competition. As long he doesn't morph into Michael Bolton on soul night I'll be happy.

Edited by tvweb44, Feb 18, 2005 @ 2:06 AM.

AraniSatyr

AraniSatyr

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 18, 2005 @ 8:56 AM

I like Bo. I also like Constantine. I don't think there needs to be a rivalry between them, their voices are very different.

I'll be interested to hear how Bo adapts, though I can think of a few tunes he could rock out to on "Soul Night"... his edge would kick on "Try a Little Tenderness."

rememberwhen

rememberwhen

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 18, 2005 @ 5:20 PM

On the Fox idol forum someone who's known him all his life said that his mom used to call him her little Humphrey Bogart thus the name "Bo". Apparently it means
alot to him, he's been called that since the begining and he loves the name because of its history. Just thought I'd pass that along.

aiwop

aiwop

Posted Feb 18, 2005 @ 8:55 PM

On the Fox idol forum someone who's known him all his life said that his mom used to call him her little Humphrey Bogart thus the name "Bo". Apparently it means
alot to him,

So how special do you think it was that Slimon made a point of calling him Harold.

So glad that Bo called Simon on who was the "No" in the crowd.

Edited by aiwop, Feb 18, 2005 @ 8:56 PM.