Leaving This Thread for Personal Reasons: Mario Vazquez

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

943 replies to this topic

Grace_Dimitri_fan

Grace_Dimitri_fan

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 6:33 PM

http://forums.televi...forums_boot.gif

Life's too short.

Edited by Jacob, Mar 13, 2005 @ 8:07 PM.

Controversy

Controversy

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 6:35 PM

I'm really sad. Not crushed, but sad. Mario was my favorite and I was really looking forward to seeing what he could do.

I am DYING to hear what the deal is, though. Come on, someone has to leak something soon. This is weirdly quiet.

theseventhbrady

theseventhbrady

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 6:40 PM

After reading that article, now I'm starting to feel bad.

I don't have a good feeling about all this, and I'm not even a Mario fan; in fact, far from one. But if this turns out to be any kind of homophobic blackmail on the part of 19, you can bet I'll become one of his biggest boosters.

cggb

cggb

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 6:42 PM

Well, Clay did it. RJ did it. Jared and EJ tried to do it. It's not new territory.

Exactly. Which is why I doubt that being outed has anything to do with it. He doesn't seem stupid, he had to know that something like this would get discovered if he went anywhere near the national stage.

Tylene

Tylene

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 6:42 PM

Staying on topic (except [snip] there-probably-will-be-talk-about-ai5-contestants'-sexuality-because-there-is-likely-
to-be-someone-gay-on-the-show-next-year), could Mario have a contractual obligation NOT to reveal his reasons for leaving the show, or is that too difficult a stipulation to maintain?

Edited by Jacob, Mar 13, 2005 @ 8:08 PM.

Controversy

Controversy

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 6:46 PM

Maybe Ozzie Smith Sr. is more powerful than we think. He sounded pretty mad in the article about Nikko getting booted! ...Nah. (Although the Michael Jackson theory is quite interesting.)

I hope everything with Mario is okay. I feel terrible for him since he's 27 years old and has been trying to break into the business for quite a while.

jewelmills

jewelmills

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 6:47 PM

could Mario have a contractual obligation NOT to reveal his reasons for leaving the show, or is that too difficult a stipulation to maintain?

I thought AI usually announces the reason. Didn't they do that with Frenchie and the DWI guy?

Not exactly a reliable source, but:

Inside sources tell me that Mario was unhappy and felt like this was not the place for him. He was having a difficult time in many areas and although he appreciated this opportunity, he chose to leave
immidiately.

Immidiately? lol

Edited by jewelmills, Mar 13, 2005 @ 7:00 PM.

sichm

sichm

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 6:57 PM

#1- I hope it's nothing serious.
#2- He's now getting the buzz all the TPTB's pimping couldn't produce.

Ninja Bunny

Ninja Bunny

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 7:08 PM

So Mario's gone...is it because he's a lesbian?

Seriously, I don't think the question of whether Mario's gay or perceived to be gay is the reason why he bagged out. Many people think Clay is gay and he's the most successful one of the lot; I don't think it's an issue.

ETA: I'm with Chief Elf. He probably read the fine print on the winner's contract, discovered Simon Fuller and his 19AlphabetSoup minions would take 50% of his income until the next ice age and decided to bolt.

Edited by Ninja Bunny, Mar 13, 2005 @ 7:38 PM.

StankAttitude

StankAttitude

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 7:18 PM

Uh, except Clay isn't gay.

BWAH! Pity always got jokes. I love this place.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mario's leaving has something to do with his sexuality, but not because of TPTB. I could totally see someone from his past maybe threatening to come forward if he didn't come out so rather than come out, he dropped out.

I'm seriously hoping his sexuality has nothing to do with it but if it does, I doubt we'll ever really know. For many reasons, he strikes me as someone who'll never come out publicly. That's an interesting article, though.

I do though have a problem with bloggers who claim to know people who know someone who said that... when it comes to Mario supposedly attending gay dance clubs or whatever. During AI 2, didn't someone claiming to be from Clay's hometown make similar claims against Clay on a message board that were proven to be untrue? I take such claims with a grain of salt.

Sweetface

Sweetface

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 7:19 PM

Crap! I'll miss you Mario...you were a talented little cutie-patootie.
Kisses.

shilohbus29

shilohbus29

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 7:22 PM

Wow, I hope Mario's okay, but I can't help feeling sorry for Nikko -- unless he wins, which isn't likely, he will be the one who got booted twice.

Chief Elf

Chief Elf

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 7:26 PM

My money's on a contract dispute. The top 12 have to sign new contracts and, from the rumors I've picked up, they get tighter every year. Mario may have decided it wasn't worth it and asked to leave. I don't think 19Evil holds on to anyone not in the top 12.

Grace_Dimitri_fan

Grace_Dimitri_fan

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 7:28 PM

Don't tell other people what to post.

Edited by Miss Alli, Mar 13, 2005 @ 7:36 PM.

ChocolateCherry

ChocolateCherry

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 7:43 PM

My money's on a contract dispute. The top 12 have to sign new contracts and, from the rumors I've picked up, they get tighter every year. Mario may have decided it wasn't worth it and asked to leave. I don't think 19Evil holds on to anyone not in the top 12.

Contestants actually reading the contracts BEFORE they sign them? No way, but I like the theory. Perhaps Mario realized he was the Chosen One and he started thinking about all the problems contestants have had with 19E. He's already gotten a great deal of exposure so he maybe he thinks he can parlay his stint into a career and be relatively free of the Evil hand.
Although I do like the idea that Ozzie Smith slipped Mario a couple grand to have "personal problems"

Edited by ChocolateCherry, Mar 13, 2005 @ 7:47 PM.

annonshay

annonshay

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 7:56 PM

I'm sad. I liked the guy and enjoyed watching him perform, as long as he had one of his sassy hats on. Nikko...whatever.

Edited by annonshay, Mar 13, 2005 @ 8:39 PM.

mscoolbee2000

mscoolbee2000

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 7:58 PM

Although I do like the idea that Ozzie Smith slipped Mario a couple grand to have "personal problems"

That's an interesting theory. However, couldn't Daddy Smith used that same couple of grand to buy his son a recording contract somewhere? Just a thought IMO.

brianf712

brianf712

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 8:07 PM

I somehow doubt that Nikko's famous father instigated Mario's ouster--even in spite of the fact that FOX broadcasts Major League Baseball (including the World Series).

Edited for grammar.

Edited by brianf712, Mar 13, 2005 @ 8:08 PM.

Jacob

Jacob

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 8:10 PM

No Clay talk.

No telling other posters what they can and cannot say.

I am in no mood right now.

sensi

sensi

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 8:19 PM

Whoa, back up the pity truck! This is Fox and 19Evil we're talking about here! There is no freaking way Mario, one of their top vote-getters and draws, would have been allowed to gracefully withdraw from the show without a compelling reason. One would be a family situation so heart-rendering that forcing him to stay would cast the show and it's producers in an unfavorable light (and yes they do care - remember they did respond to the nastiness of the first results show). Or he something about his personal life was about to come to light that wasn't technically a breach of contract but nevertheless would cause an unwelcome distraction to the show.

In any case, he won't be allowed to go near a contract while the show is still on. And June is a long way away.

stlouischili

stlouischili

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 8:21 PM

I hope it's a contract issue. IIRC, in season 2, Trenyce, Ruben, and K-Lo (and possibly Clay & Rickey) had outside lawyers look at their final 12 contracts before signing them, which caused a stink with the AI TPTB.

I ran across that article this afternoon while reading about the Mario brouhaha and red flags went up, since it was published so close to his departure.

I hope something comes out in the media soon. If there is a family emergency people should know so Mario can go out with dignity. If he was booted just for being gay, people need to know so that those of us who think that sucks can boycott the show. (And Mario can still go out with some dignity).

If it was a contract dispute, that should be made public so that Mario can go out with some dignity for refusing to be 19E's bitch.

If he was convicted of a crime the Smoking Gun should tell us so some of us sick f*cks can have a delicious scandal. If he was caught in compromising photos.....well, someone will think of a reason we should be told that, too.

WesternSkies

WesternSkies

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 8:24 PM

Per mario-online.org:

Time for some good news, Madhatters!

Alright, Chloe sister and I just got off the phone with Hanna AND MARIO!!!  OMG it was amazing! He is such a nice person. Very polite, lol. And yeah he's girl crazy. But, seriously he is such a sweet person.

Getting to the news:

1) Mario had some family problems that he needed to take care of. He has ALL of our support. He wants to keep everything as private as possible, so PLEASE respect his wishes. We do not know what the problems are.

2) You certinatly haven't heard the last of Mr. Vazquez. He himself plans to continue on with his career in music. There WILL be more Mario.

3) He has not talked to any press about his deparatue yet, he's only talked to me and Mellie.

4) He LOVES his fans and thanks you all for your support! He's still new to the idea that he even has fans lol.

5) He loves the shirts Hanna designed, which are going to be on sale at www.mario-online.org so you all should buy one! He said he would even wear it.

5) We're keeping in touch with him and Hanna.  So you'll get information on him, this is NOT the end.

6) Now to make you all want to kill us, he sand some Bohemian Rhaspody for us and HOLY *bleep* IT WAS AMAZING! I mean WOW!

I might add more if I can think of it. lol. But, can you blame me? I'm in a dream world right now.

ETA: From the other girl who runs the site:

OKay lets see if i can get through this

*breathes*

Mario is the sweetest human being on earth.. he has some family things to take care of which caused him to withdraw.. but he LOVES all of his fans.. and appreciates the support one thousand percent.

He sang acapella to us.. oh my gosh..

Im still full of emotion.. but please continue to support him right now.. he needs all the support and love he can get.. please

Best wishes to Mario and his family.

Edited by WesternSkies, Mar 13, 2005 @ 8:25 PM.

WinkyDink

WinkyDink

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 8:45 PM

If Mario gave up this dream in order to help his family, I have the utmost respect for him.
Because I'm from Selfishville.

mercenary13

mercenary13

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 8:52 PM

I take him at his word, and I hope that he and his family do not have any health problems. He was one of my least favorite contestants, musically speaking, but he sure seems like a very nice guy, and whatever family problems he has, I hope get worked out.

Still, a dispute over the American Idol contract can't be ruled out. I've read that each time the contestants advance, they have to sign a new, more rigorous contract. Maybe what he (or his lawyer, possibly) saw in the contract for the Top 12 just was too much for him to abide by.

crazy obsessed

crazy obsessed

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 9:08 PM

How serious can his "family problem" be if he has the time and the mood to sing to fangirls on the telephone? Makes me wonder.

lurkrlady

lurkrlady

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 9:16 PM

Okay throwing in my two cents. I really doubt it is about any family "health" problems because I really think they would say so---you know Fox would love to milk it. However, it could be Mario himself has some kind of problem......say like being bipolar. I know in the past I've covered for some of my college students who've dropped class and others ask why---I say personal problems. I just don't see gay as being an issue and one he wouldn't have considered. If he had any major health issues (needs kidney transplant,etc) they would mention it outright or at least leak it out.

18bored

18bored

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 9:22 PM

Phone calls to obsessed fans take up much less time than working your ass off 24/7 across the country. LOL. But that's a good point no less.

I just wish him the best. I didn't have anything against him.

theseventhbrady

theseventhbrady

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 9:22 PM

That's a good point you make, lurkrlady. Using the term "family problems" or "personal problems" covers a wide range of possibilities quite nicely, at the same time politely telling people -- without exactly telling people -- that whatever it is, it's none of their business.

Ladyluck

Ladyluck

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 9:23 PM

Unless his family's being held at gunpoint somewhere, I don't think taking a couple of minutes to sing a few bars of the song is really going to matter.

I wish him all the best. He was one of my favorites, cute and hot, and a very entertaining performer.

nomailbabe

nomailbabe

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 9:28 PM

Fox news claims to have the inside scoop at 10.
In the meanwhile, I give little credence to articles (no fact checking) and most rumors - I think blind guessing is just as valid. I am an equal opportunity doubter and guesser.

My guess is - What ever happened has been growing over the past few weeks, as support for Mario has been dropping. Does anyone know the real backstory of Mario's professional experience? Possibly the loss of income was too difficult for him to over come. Most contestants do not have much income when they appear on the show, so financial hardship is not out of question.