The Apprentice Sugar-Style (UK)

• Please log in to reply

2157 replies to this topic

qurtalain

qurtalain

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 2:52 PM

If Stephen's team have any sense, they'll hang him out to dry when he manages next week.

If there's any justice in the world, this has to happen. I HATED the way he was critiquing Gabrielle's performance - doesn't Lord Alan usually slap people down for pulling that kind of crap?

I thought Tom was lucky to win. Surely, missing the brief is a greater mistake than making a crap advert? Anyway, I was impressed by Ricky's presentation. I thought he did really well (until he showed the ad and disgusted everyone).

boewyr

boewyr

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 11:38 PM

Tom was very lucky to have won I thought, considering his deathly dull advert and website, and because he didn't seem to be overly involved in either the branding or the ad, in favor of going to the wine tasting and being a know-all. Ricky seemed to do well until everything was scupped by the cheesy ad.

I felt bad for Gabrielle being targeted by Stephen in the boardroom, especially after she'd had to spazz-wrangle him through the first day. He's getting slimier by the week. I especially hate his tactic of saying something's a good point or a good question and then ignoring it completely.

I think at the end of the day, they thought a competently executed if dull campaign that respected the product and was in line with a luxury product was better than one that just didn't work. As dull as Tom's team's effort was, it was what I'd have expected as a strategy, and frankly was a good advert away from being really solidly put together. I don't agree with the criticism that they totally missed the brief altogether: I thought the ESW brand and the plan to put it on each bottle, and a campaign promoting that, was pretty smart. I think it lacked a bit of flair to catch on to the mainstream, but I thought all in all they'd put together a pretty solid piece of work.

Moreover, since Tom and Nick are clearly the frontrunners I would've thought it'd be a shame if they'd lose and one of them got the chop over Jade or Adam.

Stephen's phony criticism of Gabrielle actually made me think for a minute and realise she's actually done a fair bit this series. I think she, Ricky, Tom and Nick *should* be the final four.

We're due for a double firing soon surely?

NotPatrick

NotPatrick

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 6:11 AM

Spoiler

Occasional Hope

Occasional Hope

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 1:08 PM

For a moment there I thought slimy, slithery Stephen had got away with it again.

Wee S

Wee S

Video Archivist

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 1:51 PM

Stephen was such a patronising prick, I'm glad he's gone. Possibly one of the worst contestants I've ever watched on this show.

I did love how Ricky was just constantly eating scallops and of course Adam and Tom and their little bromance..bless. I definitely felt sorry for Gabrielle, she was just out of her depth and with being partnered with Inspector Gadget (heh!) all day I'd give up on the task too.

boewyr

boewyr

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 2:13 PM

I thought Jade did pretty well this time. Sorry to see Gabrielle go but the writing was on the wall. Stephen was bad but she was also all over the place. Wasn't a Ricky fan until he started smacking down Stephen in the boardroom. The scallops thing was fun too.

I find it hard to imagine Adam beating both Tom and Ricky next week but we shall see.

I enjoy the interviews and didn't mind them as the finale last year but I still see no reason why they couldn't keep the interview round as a tool to whittle the finalists down to two potential business plans/partners and then have a big final task showdown a la the old series. "I like your business plans now let's see if you have the gumption to pull it off etc". They could still shoehorn whoever Shugz' preferred winner is in somehow. Though granted, if you had pitted Tom against Helen in a PM-off it probably would've been even harder to justify.

Promethea Again

Promethea Again

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 5:11 PM

The scallops thing was totally set up by the production crew for a laugh, good on them.

And good on Siralan, or whoever actually decides on these things, for firing both those useless lumps.

I enjoyed this episode because I get a lot of those deals sent to me so it was interesting to try to guess what would do well. Must say I don't feel KGB is that high end though, they seem to send me the same as everyone else.

Tom: looks clever but actually screws up a lot
Adam: good comedy value, never going to win, intriguing to wonder what his business idea might be though
Jade: annoying voice, too corporate to win
Ricky: they seem to constantly edit in all his facial ticks and neck movements, other than that I have no strong opinion although he did well this week
Nick: most likely winner by default, in that he's slightly under the radar never having screwed up enough to be in the boardroom yet (I think?), that One Direction hair has got to go though

boewyr

boewyr

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 4:13 AM

The scallops thing was totally set up by the production crew for a laugh, good on them.

Yeah that crossed my mind. Was funny so I didn't care.

Tom: looks clever but actually screws up a lot

The bit in this episode where the hotelier basically said no and he was stumped, and then caved to the 35% wasn't the best endorsement. I realise that by this point of the competition they're sleep deprived and surviving on a diet with all the nutrition value of cardboard but I think it showed that he's still very young. Sure, Susan Ma was younger but she'd also been bartering in market stalls since she was 10 or something ridiculous.

Adam: good comedy value, never going to win, intriguing to wonder what his business idea might be though

I suspect he'll make the interviews for that reason alone.

Jade: annoying voice, too corporate to win

Agreed and agreed.

Nick: most likely winner by default, in that he's slightly under the radar never having screwed up enough to be in the boardroom yet (I think?), that One Direction hair has got to go though

He's a techonology guy too. So odds are if his business plan isn't written in pig latin Litner and others will recommend him highly since it's probably up Shug'z alleyway.

boewyr

boewyr

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2012 @ 6:55 AM

Adam had grown on me, but his appearance on You're Fired probably has to be one of the most embarassing along with Alex from series 6. Not even the 'I've made a cock of myself' shame the Stephen/Stuart Baggs types typically display.

Jade impressed me again. I think the deal with Nick 'not speaking up' that Karen and Nick have been playing in this episode and The Final Five is a bit of a beat up to be honest. I think it's a tight field, especially in contrast to last year.

Also is it just me or is Karen speaking up alot more than she used to? I like it, she's got bite. It took awhile for Nick and Margaret to come into their own so I suppose it makes sense.

Edited by boewyr, May 31, 2012 @ 6:59 AM.

Promethea Again

Promethea Again

Couch Potato

Posted May 31, 2012 @ 7:14 AM

They've got to say something about Nick or it looks like a walkover - I don't think he's put much of a foot wrong so far. Apart from the hair, obviously.

qurtalain

qurtalain

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 31, 2012 @ 12:10 PM

I think Nick deserved his criticism for being 'too nice'. In fact, I think they were pretty lenient. I thought Nick was a numbers guy who understood profit margins and yet he let the entire pricing issue slide, probably knowing that Adam would take the wrap for that as PM. I mean, in a team of three people he can't make his voice heard? That's kinda lame on his part. I thought he had the same skills as Tom & Ricky in attention to detail.

But don't get me wrong, Adam was shambolic and deserved to be fired. Jade's gone up in my estimation. She was definitely the creative thinker and force behind the team. I missed the part when Adam was named PM and I thought that Jade was PM all the way through until the boardroom.

As for Adam on You're Fired? Yikes. He clearly likes himself a lot.

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2012 @ 1:08 PM

I used to really love this show, but it feels this season like every task is basically the same. (Or probably it's always been that, but I'm just noticing.)

Promethea Again

Promethea Again

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 4:35 AM

Adam's website is HILARIOUS. He's trying to set himself up as a corporate/motivational speaker. It irresistably reminds me of David Brent, 'Simply the Best'. Apparently he's also going to be flogging washing up gloves to go with his veg box business.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 9:17 AM

Adam's website is HILARIOUS. He's trying to set himself up as a corporate/motivational speaker. It irresistably reminds me of David Brent, 'Simply the Best'. Apparently he's also going to be flogging washing up gloves to go with his veg box business.

OK, this I've got to see. Link, please?

Sure, Susan Ma was younger but she'd also been bartering in market stalls since she was 10 or something ridiculous.

Speaking of Susan Ma, Lord Sugar just invested in her skin care line, per his recent tweet:

Lord Sugar ‏@Lord_Sugar

Here is my 50/50 business with Susan Ma from last yearís Apprentice. Have a look at the web site http://bit.ly/KZG6vb and see the video.

I always knew he'd get involved with her business eventually; he actually seemed very proud of her last year even though she didn't win.

boewyr

boewyr

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 10:01 AM

Jade's gone up in my estimation. She was definitely the creative thinker and force behind the team.

Definitely. I'd completely dismissed her after the reinvesting task but the last two weeks she's made a pretty impressive contribution I think.

I think Nick deserved his criticism for being 'too nice'. In fact, I think they were pretty lenient. I thought Nick was a numbers guy who understood profit margins and yet he let the entire pricing issue slide, probably knowing that Adam would take the wrap for that as PM. I mean, in a team of three people he can't make his voice heard? That's kinda lame on his part. I thought he had the same skills as Tom & Ricky in attention to detail.

Oh don't get me wrong, I think it was warranted in this instance, on this task, because I agree with your criticisms. But to go on like it's some fatal flaw as they have the last week and that he deserved to be fired on his first time in the final boardroom over it is just baiting the cameras.

Though I suppose that's the point.

I always knew he'd get involved with her business eventually; he actually seemed very proud of her last year even though she didn't win.

As I recall Hewer was a big fan as well. She would've been a more deserving winner than Tom, certainly.

I can't see Ricky getting it without a seriously good business plan. I think it's up in the air between Tom, Nick and Jade. Brady is a big backer of Jade (always an assett) and I think the points about Tom's maturity are fairly valid. It's a surprisingly tight race actually.

I used to really love this show, but it feels this season like every task is basically the same. (Or probably it's always been that, but I'm just noticing.)

I don't think it's any different; though this is certainly the most boring cast they've had for a couple of years.

Edited by boewyr, Jun 1, 2012 @ 10:03 AM.

Promethea Again

Promethea Again

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 10:50 AM

Adam Corbally.co.uk
"Thereís no better way to start the day than with a fresh, motivational quote from Manchesterís very own Mr. Motivator, Adam Corbally."
SO tempted.
The "exciting new product" links to preordering "magic wash marigolds" which I guess explains why Dara was mucking about with rubber gloves on You've Been Fired. Mm.

HauntedBathroom

HauntedBathroom

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 6:09 PM

Good grief. Adam has a career as a speaker? To be honest, any time he's tried to make a speech or a pitch on The Apprentice, his speaking style has seemed to me to wobble between charmingly shambolic, and just plain shambolic. But then again, Alex Wotherspoon apparently had a post-Apprentice career as a speaker, albeit to younger children. The magic of TV really can't be discounted, can it?

fimo

fimo

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 8:13 PM

The colour scheme makes it look like he's shilling for IKEA!

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 10:51 PM

What's even odder? Evidently there's going to be a phone app for him that will be available for downloading later this year. How pompous can you get?

And WHY couldn't we have had him stick around long enough to get skewered by Margaret and the other interviewers? She alone would leave him curled up in a fetal position by the time she was through with him.

NotPatrick

NotPatrick

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 7:10 AM

Loads of the ex-candidates go round schools talking about business. I remember Jo Cameron did a talk at my school shortly after I left. JO CAMERON. Compared to her, Adam's a rocket scientist.

I find myself not really caring who wins, in either direction. They all seem nice enough, but they've all got flaws. I think it's between Nick and Tom though. They have an entrepreneurial track-record that the other two lack.

Promethea Again

Promethea Again

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 6:08 PM

It's such a swizz that you can't really guess who might win until you hear what their business ideas are. Nick seemed highly investable until he revealed his utterly pointless, poorly researched idea (seriously, what WAS he thinking?); Tom's and (particularly) Jade's were far too potentially damaging to Sugar's already dented reputation; so Ricky's reasonable sounding recruitment company was immediately, obviously, the winner. All they could say against him was the silly CV boasting, but everyone involved in the process must know that that's purely a result of him trying to get on a TV show which is looking for crazy characters. Clearly he (nor any of them) would never have a CV like that in any real business situation, so it's not a real flaw. Over the course of the series, Ricky was hardly the frontrunner, but from the plans, no contest. Like last year, though less so, it makes all the previous episodes immediately seem redundant.

Apparently Nick is going out with Gabrielle, so at least he got a consolation prize. Maybe he can help with whatever her business plan was, for it can't be worse than his.

boewyr

boewyr

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 7:32 PM

I agreed with the panelists on You're Hired that Nick's idea wasn't bad at all. It wasn't perfect (and definitely the numbers seemed idealistic) but I saw potential there and thought Littner and SrAlan showed how they were still in the stone age with their failure to understand it. I'm 20 and know plenty of people (and myself) who buy stuff online almost impulsively and I think it was a great idea on how to sucker the foodies into e-commerce while they're vulnerable. Littner, Sugar's and other's attitude seemed to be 'who could be bothered?' while failing to understand that it was really about convenience.

And the failure for Matthew Riley to grasp the idea that many people plan their week's menu in advance was quite puzzling, I have to say.

It was refreshing how all four actually had half-decent business plans after last year's train wreck. I think they still need to have a final task. They should use the interviews to whittle down the business plans to two and use the final tasks to at least create the illusion of the tasks being in some way relevant. They can edit around actual performance to support the winner. It just feels odd to have them be awarded the winner after either making fun of them or pointing out all their flaws.

Who would've thought Ricky'd be the boring choice to win? Margaret's reaction to Littner's praising of him was priceless.

Edited by boewyr, Jun 3, 2012 @ 10:43 PM.

Mr Basset

Mr Basset

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 8:44 PM

I thought Nick's idea was definitely very original and something I'd like to be able to use. I think the interviewers and Sir Alan, Nick, and Karen are just too out of touch with us plebes. I wonder when was the last time any of them went grocery shopping and cooked for their own family.

whammo

whammo

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 10:45 PM

I don't think Nick expressed his idea that well -- my first impression of it was that I could upload a single recipe and the site would order the ingredients for me, which didn't seem that useful. A site where I could upload the recipes I planned to make in the next week and get a full shopping list generated and ordered, though, I would use today. And, it seems like you could generate revenue from a number of angles -- users, featured recipes, grocers. Their collective failure to see the utility -- and potential profit -- there was a bit mindboggling. He should have won, IMHO.

Leave it to Jade to propose a partnership in the most annoying business imaginable.

I thought Tom might have it in the bag when Sir Alan started talking about whether he wanted to go risky or safe. Surprised he decided on the latter.

A recruiting agency. Yawn. Maybe they could spice it up by having Lord Sugar and The Fitness do adverts and joint appearances together.

A disappointing end . . . another blowhard wins another Apprentice.

Promethea Again

Promethea Again

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 4:33 AM

I didn't see You're Hired and it sounds like they explained the idea a lot better, then. I had the impression that you would go on, say, Jamie Oliver's site or a newspaper site and read a recipe, then there would be a box to click for "buy the ingredients and we'll get them from the cheapest supermarket". I couldn't see how that would work, because with delivery fees, you'd have to be ordering a bunch of ingredients and while people may cook from recipes a couple of times a week, they probably just make regular things the rest of the time that comes from their regular shopping trip. But from what you're saying, perhaps it's more like a non-dieting version of Tesco Diets, ie you generate a week of menus (but in this case picking your own meals, not having them generated for you to fit calories) and then that generates a shopping list which you can either take to the shop or, in this case, order directly. Is that right? Thing is though, it's not that convenient as inevitably you already have rice or butter or olive oil in the cupboards - no one's starting from scratch with NO ingredients - so you have to fiddle about taking those bits out. It can all take up to an hour and is that really better than just going to the shop (or shop site) and picking out what you fancy?

I thought Tom might have it in the bag when Sir Alan started talking about whether he wanted to go risky or safe. Surprised he decided on the latter.

Maybe he just thought it would be weird to have two Toms winning the investment two years in a row!

qurtalain

qurtalain

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 6:05 AM

I thought Nick's idea seemed all a bit fiddly and not as convenient as it made out. He's an entrepreneur for the future though and if I were Lord Alan I'd want to keep in touch with Nick to see what other ventures he has in the pipeline.

I thought Ricky was a good winner for this series. His proposal wasn't groundbreaking but I think it's nice to see someone be given the chance to start their own business from scratch. I became more impressed by Ricky as the weeks went on is a journey of sorts I suppose. His competence and business skills started to show through. I thought there was an element of suspense because Tom's idea seemed to appeal quite strongly to Lord Alan. Needing 25 million for capital sounded quite ambitious though. If it failed it would be catastrophic. Also, can I be a meanie and say I don't think Tom wrote his amazingly impressive business plan? He smirked when he said he wrote it himself and there's a part of me that thinks he got help.

All in all I'm pleased for Ricky (and a little bit sad he's giving up wrestling).

chocolatine

chocolatine

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 10:07 AM

I don't think Nick's idea was bad at all. Here in the US I know of at least one company that's working to implement something similar. My former employer, the world's largest online store, also has a local grocery delivery service in my city. They hold regular "hack days" for employees to prototype their ideas, and one of the prototypes in the last hack day I attended was pretty much exactly what Nick described, except it was limited only to our grocery business. I think the reason Lawd Sugga and his advisers didn't understand it is that they're far removed from the meal planning and general running of their own households.

I was rooting for Jade up until the finale, but as soon as the words "call center" came out of her mouth I knew she was toast.

I'm glad to hear Lawd Sugga is investing with Susan. Hers was the only business plan last season that I could see making money. If the product is any good at all and gets picked up by Boots or another chain, she's golden.

Lara

Lara

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 3:18 AM

Late I know, but I just finally caught up with the final episode.

I wonder if Nick will ever take Sir Alan's advice in You're Hired on relocating to the US, because he certainly seems a great fit for the Bay Area/Silicon Valley. The lack of focus isn't even necessarily an issue since often the end goal is to get purchased/acquired, and then you can move on to the next project.

chocolatine

chocolatine

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2012 @ 11:41 AM

I wonder if Nick will ever take Sir Alan's advice in You're Hired on relocating to the US, because he certainly seems a great fit for the Bay Area/Silicon Valley. The lack of focus isn't even necessarily an issue since often the end goal is to get purchased/acquired, and then you can move on to the next project.

Nick's a smart guy, but the Bay Area is oversaturated with smart young entrepreneurs. I think he'd be better off developing his business idea for the UK market; if that becomes a success, then he might be taken seriously in the Bay Area.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Nov 2, 2012 @ 9:11 AM

So did anyone else catch the new series opener of The Young Apprentice last night?

I guess the task wasn't really anything new, being a slight twist on the usual fashion-selling or sell a load of old tut tasks. The kids seemed a bit more natural at selling it than a lot of their adult counterparts though.

I kind of expected who would be fired, as he seemed to be making the classic early mistake of hiding away and doing a non-sales related task. The team leader made some big mistakes, especially spending a lot of money on making stuff like the weird kimono wetsuit dress and leaving the shopping mall, but seemed to have a bit more get up and go to him than the Boris Johnson-alike Max. Him customizing the clothes kind of reminded me of Gabrielle in the last series of the grown-up Apprentice sticking table legs on suitcases. Aw, I loved Gabrielle.

The girls' team leader seemed wiser by keeping a tight hold on the purse strings. Or maybe I'm just imagining the wisdom because she looked like a thirtysomething mum with that hairstyle. Some of the other girls seem like they could be argumentative further on down the line though, like the Northern Irish girl in the scarves and the Sylvestra Le Touzel lookalike in the braces.

Most of the others seem to be blending into one a bit right now, especially the girls. The Northern boy who was working on the market stall seems likeable and like he could be a contender though.

Edited by Pooki, Nov 2, 2012 @ 9:12 AM.