The Apprentice Sugar-Style (UK)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

2157 replies to this topic

boewyr

boewyr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 1:09 AM

So another task where the more you cut corners, the more chance you have of winning.

Disagree on this front. I thought Tom's win was pretty finely calculated. If you want to see the contrast in management skills, see how Tom controlled Katie, Stephen and Adam's buying vs Laura to Gabrielle and whatshername. At the end of the day it wasn't a task about refashioning shit it was about finding good buys from other people's rubbish. I thought Laura's team just bought anything and assumed they could sell it. And even then they had contempt for what they were selling. And she was an atrocious PM. I knew she was losing when her analysis of the day so far was 'We seem to be selling alot. I don't know exactly how much. But we seem to be selling alot.'

Firing Jane was a mistake, in an entertainment and an 'if this was real' sense. Karen had a point but she also shadowed her on her two worst tasks.

And for some reason I feel really compelled to express this: I hate Adam. I hate his whining. I hate his misguided belief in himself. And most of all I hate his goddawful polyester suits.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 5:58 AM

At the end of the day it wasn't a task about refashioning shit it was about finding good buys from other people's rubbish.

Wasn't the task explained to them by Lord Sugar in terms of upcycling though, when he briefed them in The Old Cinema? Tom basically ignored that side of things and won, whereas Laura's team fell for that side of it and got carried away.

NotPatrick

NotPatrick

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 12:43 PM

He didn't mention it in the episode - I think the issue is that "upcycling" was explained by the voiceover before anyone else actually mentioned the idea, so it seemed like it was supposed to be part of the task when it wasn't. The closest Lordalan got was saying that rag n bone men, charity shops etc took stuff other people didn't want and turned it into stuff that others wanted to buy, but I doubt they did that by scribbling a Union Jack on it.

I thought Tom did an excellent job of PM'ing, but I can't get invested in him. It's like someone took Yasmina's bland uber-competence and sucked out all the actual personality that went with it, and thought that turning her into a vaguely hot guy would recompense. Well it won't! (Not much anyway...)

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

• Interests:Foreign language and culture study, cooking, dancing, music, reading, and television, of course!

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 2:59 PM

The closest Lordalan got was saying that rag n bone men, charity shops etc took stuff other people didn't want and turned it into stuff that others wanted to buy, but I doubt they did that by scribbling a Union Jack on it.

Yeah, I rolled my eyes at that. The Union Jack? Only American tourists might go for that sort of cheesiness (no offense meant to the Brits; it's just that I can't see a Brit waxing all that excited about things with a Union Jack stenciled on them.)

And Steven still looks (and even sounds) like a poor man's Anton Du Beke to me.

Lazlo

Lazlo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 7:54 PM

legaleagle44
Yeah, I rolled my eyes at that. The Union Jack? Only American tourists might go for that sort of cheesiness (no offense meant to the Brits; it's just that I can't see a Brit waxing all that excited about things with a Union Jack stenciled on them.)

Not to mention they had a non-Brit on the team. Jane is not only Irish but (unusually for an Apprentice candidate) not even living in the UK. I'm not saying she'd have found it offensive or anything but in her shoes I might have found it a bit difficult to get enthusiastic about it.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 8:52 AM

That exercise programme episode has to be one of the strangest episodes, and possibly one of the most inexplicable results. That development deal from Virgin to make Groove Train into a family workout rather than what it was pitched as didn't quite sit right with me, especially since the cost of the equipment wasn't really taken into account in the costs, even with Stephen saying Space Hoppers would be a pound and hula hoops 50p or whatever numbers he was pulling out of his arse.

I'm a little surprised to see Duane going so early, as he seemed like a favourite from quite early on. It seemed like his early successes went to his head a bit and he became overbearing when directing the video, but there's plenty of others I'd rather have seen go before him.

I know Laura probably shouldn't have been taken back to the BR as she did what she was supposed to do on the task, but she really gets on my nerves screeching like a fishwife whenever someone disagrees with her. I'd happily have seen her go on that basis alone.

Tom is looking like he could be a contender - first there was his win as PM last week, and then this week he was the only one to predict the problems the gyms would have with storing the Groove Train equipment.

Ricky was a better PM than I thought he'd be, and was at least finally putting his money where his mouth is after being so critical of the earlier PMs (unlike say Adam). It looks like Adam and Jenna finally PM next week, but it'll be interesting to see if they volunteer or if Lord Sugar makes them do it.

boewyr

boewyr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 6:32 AM

Surprised to see Duane go over Laura based off the wider process but so be it, it's SrAlan's tv set.

I still don't know what to make of this episode to be honest. It was that bizarre and neither team really did all that well on the product front.

Nick, Katie and Tom are my favourites. I liked Jade going off on Adam. She reminds me a bit of a less useless Helene. Ricky was a good PM but I'm still not that convinced.

I suppose Helen didn't come out of the woodwork really until episode seven last year so it's still early days. I'm still waiting for Stephen, Adam and Jenna to get the shaft, though I expect one of them will last a while for entertainment value a la Natasha.

BK1978

BK1978

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 11:17 PM

Sadly they only showed the first season of this over here in the States (On BBC America)but I did enjoy it and it was cool seeing how different the English and American shows were.

myriadphalanx

myriadphalanx

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 12:33 AM

Finally got around to watching last week's episode and was doubly surprised, first at the result of the task and then at Duane being the one who was fired since I had him pegged as an early contender. I have to argue the result given that the one club bought the 'groove train' class with the intent of aiming it at children --- that may be a fine idea, but it's not specifically what the team was selling. It really feels like the Stephen-led team just stumbled into victory based on nothing that they actually did themselves.

Occasional Hope

Occasional Hope

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 3:57 PM

It makes a nice change to see the quality product winning over the cheap and nasty. Those meatballs looked vile. Mind you, while the casserole looked very nice, I don't think I'd want to eat it *in the street*.

Adam was useless and should have been fired.

I wonder if Azhar was quiet because he had a problem with a pork product?

Edited by Occasional Hope, Apr 26, 2012 @ 1:56 AM.

chocolatine

chocolatine

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 7:59 PM

I can't believe nobody even suggested a vegetarian Indian or Thai curry. The cost price would have been much lower than for the meat-based dishes, it's easy to put a gourmet spin on curry, and both cuisines are extremely popular in Edinburgh (or at least were when I last lived there in 2006). And taking a food truck to a football match? Adam misunderstood the food truck concept entirely.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 4:22 AM

It makes a nice change to see the quality product winning over the cheap and nasty.

That was refreshing. And I dread to think how much more cheap and nasty Adam's product would have been too, if Tom hadn't been on hand. Corned beef? Tom seems to have his head screwed on right, and is seeming like more and more of a contender.

I'm kind of sorry to see Katie go, because she seemed like one of the more normal and reasonable candidates, and at least wasn't hiding through the process, even if a lot of her ideas weren't very good. I guess with it being her third time in the boardroom though, it was kind of inevitable. Adam got very lucky, because otherwise I think he should have gone for sure. He's one of the most un-self-aware candidates yet. "I'm perfect!"; "I'm your number one candidate!" Seriously?

Stephen's getting really slimy now - I can't believe how much he was outright lying in the boardroom, saying that it was his idea to give up on the bus thing (it wasn't), and how he'd been campaigning for a lower price (he hadn't).

So is Jade the only candidate left who hasn't project managed yet? Surely she has to step up next week, or be made to by Lord Sugar?

Lazlo

Lazlo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 6:41 AM

I'm kind of sorry to see Katie go, because she seemed like one of the more normal and reasonable candidates, and at least wasn't hiding through the process, even if a lot of her ideas weren't very good.

I agree. I think she was probably the right choice to go but I liked her a lot more than most of the candidates and unlike many firees she displayed a personality on YF. I'll miss the Blonde Assassain.

What surprised me about Adam was how weak he came across in the boardroom after showing decisiveness earlier (as when telling the subteam to give up on the buses.) He's lucky he didn't bring in Stephen - Stephen would have made mincemeat out of him.

boewyr

boewyr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:14 AM

I suspect if he'd brought in Jade he'd have been mincemeat because Katie and Jade shared alot of responsibilities. They would've defended the same decisions and the two voices would've drowned him out. The sooner Adam and Stephen are out the better. Honestly I felt this was probably the worst stuff up of a task since the Marakesh one (besides the catering task in series 5 which was just abysmal) in that just so many damn things were wrong. Even in say the biscuit task last year where Zoe got wallopped by Helen there was at least direction from the PM and a consistent (albeit misplaced) strategy. Here there wasn't even that.

If it was a double firing I could've dealt with Katie going but leaving Adam in for anything other than entertainment value is just mind boggling. (Also on ADAM: WHERE ARE HIS EYEBROWS??!!!)

I think the criticism of the marketing was a bit misplaced given they were supposed to be going for the gourmet/upper crust market. I thought it was contempoary and worked well enough for the ends of this task. I know for example that if I see non-Italians selling something branded Italian that I tend to think dodgy.

Tom is looking more and more like a shoe-in for this.

Jenna surprised me.

qurtalain

qurtalain

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 3:24 PM

Stephen's getting really slimy now - I can't believe how much he was outright lying in the boardroom, saying that it was his idea to give up on the bus thing (it wasn't), and how he'd been campaigning for a lower price (he hadn't).

I re-watched the boardroom scenes and oh my God, he's such a fucking creep! Urgh. It was really annoying to see how much influence he had over Adam and how he goaded him into taking Azhar back into the boardroom. Azhar saved his skin with a good defence and summary of his own skills. He's not much a talker but he got it just right - you could see Lord Alan change and then turn his laser beam focus to Adam who seemed to say everything wrong and annoy Alan even more.

However, it was time for Katie to leave. I don't think she was a blundering mess but she made noticeable mistakes.

At least Tom and Azhar have clocked onto Stephen. I was glad that Tom called him out on his lies. Hopefully, they separate Stephen and Adam next week.

boewyr

boewyr

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:59 PM

Jade was really disappointing. Probably the weakest group of female contestants in any of the series, which is a bit of a shock really because women have always done really well on this iteration. I can't picture Gabrielle, Jade, Jenna or Laura in the final boardroom.

I think Nick and Tom are the only clear frontrunners at this stage, with Ricky a bit behind them.

I understand Azhar going but like Katie last week it should've been a double firing with the PM.

When was the last time they used the Art task? Series 3? I'm kind of looking forward to it.

myriadphalanx

myriadphalanx

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 3:20 AM

Azhar was no great shakes as a candidate but man, Jade made so many glaring errors on this task that she absolutely deserved to be fired at this point. I thought she was coming off as really desperate in the boardroom (she'll make Sugar 'several' multi-million pound businesses? Really?) whereas Azhar seemed to be making the smart move by sitting back and letting her hang herself. Oh well.

Smart move to split up Adam and Stephen, though it seems Ricky may be also be part of their little clique.

Jade was really disappointing. Probably the weakest group of female contestants in any of the series, which is a bit of a shock really because women have always done really well on this iteration. I can't picture Gabrielle, Jade, Jenna or Laura in the final boardroom.

Gabrielle and Jenna both seem like competent workers that are good to have as part of a team, though neither were very good leaders (Jenna's win last week notwithstanding). I could see them in the final interview round but yeah, it's definitely looking like Tom and Nick are the two favourites at this point. Then again, I thought Duane was a big favourite a few weeks ago and he surprisingly got the boot. Don't forget the lesson of Tom from last season, who was a clearly poor candidate in the context of the show but had a great business plan which we never got to hear about until the very end; for all we know, Jade's plan actually is brilliant and she'll be kept no matter how badly she performs.

Edited by myriadphalanx, May 3, 2012 @ 3:23 AM.

Agent Poops

Agent Poops

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:09 PM

I think this was my favourite exchange (paraphrased), was in the car when Stephen and Ricky were told that they'd need to be "trained" in how to sell fake tan:

Ricky: Bwa ha ha, teach us how to sell fake tan! How hard can it be!
Stephen: <unconvincingly> Yeah you would just say..um... it will make your skin darker...
Ricky: <eyebrow>

There is something really weird about the structure of Stephen's face that I find off-putting. Are his eyes too low down on his face? Or his nose is too high? And his face is kind of diamond-shaped or something. He just looks odd.

A couple of people I know have met Ricky, he's a recruitment agent for an agency that does jobs in the scientific sector. He's one of my connections on LinkedIn, it always makes me chuckle when I get a notification from him, coz there's a little picture of his face and he's on the Apprentice! It says in his profile information that he's a "current contestant on BBC's The Apprentice", I guess he's under contract to not say whether he won or not.

Occasional Hope

Occasional Hope

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 2:12 PM

Jade was completely and utterly useless.

Kirblar

Kirblar

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 3:01 PM

Why is Sugar completely unwilling to fire PMs this season? It's pathological at this point!

boewyr

boewyr

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 6:19 PM

Don't forget the lesson of Tom from last season, who was a clearly poor candidate in the context of the show but had a great business plan which we never got to hear about until the very end;

True, though I would've hoped they would've changed that after the way the finale was received last year. And IIRC Tom's business plan that he submitted actually sucked as much as (if not more than) the other three did, he just had the thoughtbubble/blip on the CV about the nail file which drew Sugar in like a Magpie.

Gabrielle and Jenna both seem like competent workers that are good to have as part of a team, though neither were very good leaders (Jenna's win last week notwithstanding). I could see them in the final interview round but yeah, it's definitely looking like Tom and Nick are the two favourites at this point.

I'm sure one of them (including Laura and Jade even) will make the final four just in the name of balance.

Adam's selection in suits are offensive enough for me to want to punch him in the face. That's before he opens his mouth. I hope they don't blow too much smoke up his arse over this week because I don't think he can get too much credit for doing what he does day-in-day-out well with absolutely no other responsibilities. If I was PM and I gave someone a task that was their day job and they did anything less than a great job I'd be fuming.

Lazlo

Lazlo

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:04 PM

I'm sure one of them (including Laura and Jade even) will make the final four just in the name of balance.

I dislike Gabrielle (I find her embarassingly immature for a nearly thirty year old woman and I think she got far too easy a ride in her trips to the boardroom) but she does have genuine creative talents and I can't see either Jade or Laura outlasting her.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

• Interests:Foreign language and culture study, cooking, dancing, music, reading, and television, of course!

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:45 PM

There is something really weird about the structure of Stephen's face that I find off-putting. Are his eyes too low down on his face? Or his nose is too high? And his face is kind of diamond-shaped or something. He just looks odd.

I've been saying all series long that he looks like the poor man's Anton du Beke.

And while I understand why Azhar got the chop, I completely agree that it should have been Jade, for her numerous mistakes on the last task. I think even she realized just how big a bullet she dodged.

I want Adam and Stephen both to make the interview round, just because it would be worth the price of admission to see them both get shredded by Margaret, if she did the interviews again this year.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 6:43 AM

And while I understand why Azhar got the chop, I completely agree that it should have been Jade, for her numerous mistakes on the last task. I think even she realized just how big a bullet she dodged.

I agree - if we look at the whole process, and even at that task, Azhar hadn't contributed a whole lot (even his win as PM was largely down to others, mainly Duane). But Jade completely fialed to grasp the point of the task at all, was a bad people manager, and couldn't make decisions. Azhar did possibly have some valid points to make about the team's lack of strategy, but he had such a waffling, jargonistic way of putting things that it just makes people switch off. If he'd simply reinforced certain points in a straightforward way and language that they couldn't ignore to show up the flaws in Jade's management, things might have worked out differently for him. Or maybe not.

I did think Jade showed a pretty nasty side of herself in the BR and afterwards. Her idea of fighting for her place just seemed to consist of shouting over others, being evasive (saying stuff like "I wish I could remember saying that.") and stretching the truth. And refusing to even shake Azhar's hand afterward just came across as cold and bitchy. I always hate when candidates do that (or, conversely, if the fired candidate does a Melissa Cohen and refuses to acknowledge or even shake the hands of the other two). I think that kind of thing shows her in a very bad light.

I want Adam and Stephen both to make the interview round, just because it would be worth the price of admission to see them both get shredded by Margaret, if she did the interviews again this year.

Oh, that would be awesome to see those two bullshitters come up against Margaret (and Claude)! I can't see Jade doing very well in interviews either.

The art task next week looks fun - when that task was done in series three and in Junior Apprentice it was pretty entertaining both times.

NotPatrick

NotPatrick

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:40 AM

My favourite iteration of the art task will always be Series 1, if only for Saira trying to pitch her team to the artists by telling them what everyone's favourite colour was. And then throwing a MASSIVE STROP when she didn't get her way, and claiming it was only because Miriam and James went to a posh school and had rich daddies and rode horses everywhere and this WASN'T FAIR because people only liked them because of their backgrounds... about a week after she blagged a free Freeview box on the Ten Items task by claiming to a Pakistani shopkeeper to be on "Team Asian" with Raj whilst getting Paul to hide round the corner, and having approached a woman on a street sales task bellowing "I AM MUSLIM, YOU ARE MUSLIM, WE ARE SISTERS!"

Ah Saira. This series could do with a Saira. I almost fell asleep in this episode.

(NICK TO WIN!)

Edited by NotPatrick, May 4, 2012 @ 7:44 AM.

boewyr

boewyr

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:53 AM

My favourite iteration of the art task will always be Series 1, if only for Saira trying to pitch her team to the artists by telling them what everyone's favourite colour was. And then throwing a MASSIVE STROP when she didn't get her way, and claiming it was only because Miriam and James went to a posh school and had rich daddies and rode horses everywhere and this WASN'T FAIR because people only liked them because of their backgrounds... about a week after she blagged a free Freeview box on the Ten Items task by claiming to a Pakistani shopkeeper to be on "Team Asian" with Raj whilst getting Paul to hide round the corner, and having approached a woman on a street sales task bellowing "I AM MUSLIM, YOU ARE MUSLIM, WE ARE SISTERS!"

Ah Saira. This series could do with a Saira. I almost fell asleep in this episode.

(NICK TO WIN!)

I remember that! Oh, I kind of miss the desperate incompetence of the candidates in series 1 through 4 (well, maybe not 2, that was just tragically bad). Though I suppose there's always the American series for that, nothing will ever beat 'Buy a chocolate bar and I'll drop my skirt' as a sales tactic.

boewyr

boewyr

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 2:49 AM

Surely Shugz was just teasing the camera/outcome by saying that he was considering firing Tom because he 'was taking a seat' because he already had a succesful business?

What kind of retarded logic is that? I got how that applied back in the 'its a job' days but no idea how it fits in here.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 4:09 AM

Surely Shugz was just teasing the camera/outcome by saying that he was considering firing Tom because he 'was taking a seat' because he already had a succesful business?

What kind of retarded logic is that? I got how that applied back in the 'its a job' days but no idea how it fits in here.

I thought that was strange too. 250,000 investment money is not to be sniffed at, even if you've already had a successful business.

It seemed pretty obvious Tom wasn't going to be fired anyway, especially after Lord Sugar so obviously wanted Laura brought back into the boardroom by flagging up her bad sales figures so obviously. I'm not sorry to see her go - her verbal diarrhoea was really annoying.

In a way I thought Gabrielle's team were very lucky to win considering how badly they muffed the commercial client deal. I think those guardsman images did seem quite well suited to the brief, but I don't think they even showed them to them? Not even asking about the budget or the space that the piece would be presented in was just stupid, and Stephen handled the clients when they showed up at the gallery space as badly as anyone could have handled them. Did he even tell the rest of the team they were there? It didn't look like it. I guess having the Pure Evil paintings to sell really did save them. They did seem like the best of the bunch.

I thought Tom was lead really badly by Jade and Adam in choosing the contingency artist when they didn't get Pure Evil - those SPQR pieces seemed very Banksy-like and probably would have sold. Those massive monstrosities painted by that really disinterested-sounding guy were awful.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 6:54 AM

Still no PMs fired this series. It has to be intentional at this point, surely? Although I'm sure many will be hoping that trend is bucked next week when Stephen has his much-trumpeted second shot at project managing after making his so-called bet.

Tom was very lucky to have won I thought, considering his deathly dull advert and website, and because he didn't seem to be overly involved in either the branding or the ad, in favor of going to the wine tasting and being a know-all. Ricky seemed to do well until everything was scupped by the cheesy ad.

I felt bad for Gabrielle being targeted by Stephen in the boardroom, especially after she'd had to spazz-wrangle him through the first day. He's getting slimier by the week. I especially hate his tactic of saying something's a good point or a good question and then ignoring it completely.

If Stephen's team have any sense, they'll hang him out to dry when he manages next week.

NotPatrick

NotPatrick

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 11:54 AM

I love Stephen's awful transparent boardroom tactics. I'm sure he thinks going "Gabrielle sucks and never contributes anything or makes any decisions and she can't sell or manage and she SMELLS LIKE FISH...but she did do well coming up with that logo" makes him look fair and balanced but instead it just makes him look incredibly insincere on both counts. I never really get like this, but I'd love to see him get screwed to the wall (...metaphorically speaking) at interviews.