The Apprentice Sugar-Style (UK)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

2157 replies to this topic

InigoMontoya

InigoMontoya

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2005 @ 5:04 PM

Compare and contrast...

Never ever underestimate me because you will be making a fatal error. I don't like liars, I don't like cheats, I don't like schmoozers, I don't like arse-lickers...

More serious. More swearing. Fewer (or any) pretty people.

The ones that aren't gonna impress me are the ones who come back with a load of wilted pansies

Selling at a loss and giving them away insured that there were no flowers left but the girls lost on the money count and Adenike wilted away instead.

Edited to add the Guardian's review.

Edited by InigoMontoya, Feb 17, 2005 @ 5:23 AM.

modge

modge

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 17, 2005 @ 7:26 AM

ooh, glad to find this thread.

Compare and contrast? Well I dont intend to spend the entire series doing a US-UK comparison, but it was interesting to see how much the first episode mirrored the first episode of the US season. Similar task, similar setting to present the task (right down to Sugar/TD being up on some podium looking down on little ant contestants), and I have to wonder if Sugar has been watching tapes of TD because he had some of the script and pointing gestures down pat. Sugar has a better boardroom table though.

I thought it was an interesting episode, we were introduced to at least some of the contestants, I can only hope that some of the others will get their air time as the series progresses. I was astounded at the patronising tone of Saira not three minutes after the teams had got together, honestly if anyone ever said to me can I just interrupt you for two minutes and I'm going to tell you why I've interrupted you... in that honeyed tone, I'd have to have words. Mind you, she did make a relatively successful project manager. Relatively.

I was disappointed to see how quickly the women (and to a certain extent the men) jumped to the idea of using their "sexuality" to sell, but pleased to see that it didn't end up playing a major role in the sales patter. O the patter though, "I'm muslim, you are muslim, you buy my f-l-o-w-e-r-s?", "you're a painter? My dad was a painter, buy my flowers"... made my teeth ache. Guess that's why I'm not in sales. I'm surprised that First Forte (heh) did so well selling at Kings Cross, because I would have thought commuters - especially London ones - would be stomping home and definitely not up for messing around with bouquets. They can't have sold them for much though, given their final total. As another small point, I thought that Impact ("Impact means... impact!") looked a bit odd at Baker St wandering around with one or two bunches each trying to sell them - there is no way I'd buy from a seemingly desperate guy wandering aimlessly trying to sell two bunches of flowers for 2. Still, didn't matter in the end.

I thought that Adenike was fair game for firing. She hadn't shown herself to be a proactive seller, and wasn't very forthcoming in the boardroom. Although Miranda lost some money, she at least stuck by her point and her reasoning, and Sugar did say he would have rather they came back with money than dead product. She made a bad call, but at least she had the courage to make a decision, which is probably what saved her.

Next week? Saira drives me crazy by coo-ing over a toy.

edited to correct punctuation.

Edited by modge, Feb 17, 2005 @ 7:33 AM.

InigoMontoya

InigoMontoya

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2005 @ 6:28 PM

Hey modge, glad to have a mate.

I was noticing the differences last night, specifically the very different styles of Trump and Sugar. Sure they are both egomaniacs of the nth order but that's where the similarity ends. Trump seems more focused on the entertainment to me and I thought that the lines lifted from him to Sugar did not transpose well. He sounded stilted when using the Apprentice 'catchphrases'. The only times he seemed remotely natural was when he was in his 'East End lad' mode, such as in the quote above and when he told them to get on their bikes.

It is obviously going to take time for Margaret and the other one to gain personalties. Also, is it usual for George and Caroline to exclusively shadow only one of the groups each? I got the impression they both saw both teams in the course of the task.

As for the contestants, my initial impression was that I was glad I was self-employed.

The women had no cohesion despite talking up a storm but one has to have a grudging admiration for Saira for trying to hold it together. Impact seemed to work much better as a team despite Timothy's leadership being almost invisible. Maybe that was a good thing. Hard to tell.

Early, wholly shallow, dislikes have emerged. Matthew comes across as proof of the stereotype of arrogant Tory twerp and Sebastian, despite saying nothing as far as I can recall, was smug everytime he was on screen. Be interesting to see if the show takes off here.

The Vahki

The Vahki

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 17, 2005 @ 6:38 PM

This was one of the most unlikable groups of people ever. I dont want any of them to win.

modge

modge

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 18, 2005 @ 8:15 AM

Definitely agree about Sugar seeming awkward when parroting TDs catchphrases, he sounded much better when - as you say - he was being himself. I'm not sure why it's even necessary for him to say the same lines (beyond saying "you're fired") but if he is going to copy TD, I'd appreciate a few more yooges and a few less finger points.

The women's team were awful when they had to discuss things, and when compared to the straight talking of the men's team, far less business-like. However when it came to talking about the task afterwards, it was First Forte that were able to come together more, whereas the men seemed less tight at that point. I think that Matthew is going to be problematic for the group in future episodes, he has a different background and job experience from a lot of the other city-types and has already annoyed other members of his team.

I don't think they are all unlikeable though, and in a final comparison to the US version, was pleased to see that there are fewer "good looking" types. Maybe us Brits are just naturally more ugly.

InigoMontoya

InigoMontoya

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2005 @ 5:01 PM

Why on earth did Lindsay ignore the focus group that preferred the robots to the semephore cards? How can they have done their best when they split their energies on the two different products right up to the last minute? Another girl bites the dust.

Sugar complains that everyone is too polite. Sad to say that whilst that is the preferred state of human beings with one whom interacts, it is making for dull television.

Interesting idea of Lindsay's that Sugar should have kept her because she had failed and could now learn from that failure. Duh!

gyc1

gyc1

Posted Feb 23, 2005 @ 7:19 PM

I just saw the first episode of this and I quite like the different feel of this show versus The Donald's Apprentice. It feels much more like a documentary with the voiceovers and I liked the two viceroys giving their opinions as the show went along. I also liked Sugar's boardroom much better than The Donald's. I just can't figure out why Sugar didn't fire Miranda in the first task except perhaps he thought it was easier to cure stupidity than subordination?

Kikishua

Kikishua

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 23, 2005 @ 7:36 PM

I'm with the little lad who said his ideal present would be his own bouncy castle - how wonderful is THAT?!

I was disappointed that the girls didn't go to the kids to get ideas before their brainstorming. But once Lindsay had that idiotic Secret Signals idea, it was pretty clear she'd never let it go, no matter what.

Sadly, no outstanding loonies in the UK version. Where is our Sam or Omarosa?

InigoMontoya

InigoMontoya

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2005 @ 7:38 PM

Matthew has loon potential.

Oz37

Oz37

Posted Feb 23, 2005 @ 8:05 PM

Just looked at the BBC site, and I must say Sir Alan and his board are quite haggard looking. Even the contestants aren't something to look at. I guess one of the draws for me is to have some eye candy present, and the UK Apprentice just doesn't have that.

Edited by Oz37, Feb 23, 2005 @ 8:05 PM.

gyc1

gyc1

Posted Feb 24, 2005 @ 3:55 PM

This episode was so frustrating to watch. Lindsay is so the female David Brent. I was cringing everytime she went against her team and wouldn't let go of her stupid idea. She just wouldn't get a clue that no one liked her Secret Signals idea. Who wants to bet that she gave Secret Signals the full 100 points when they were voting? And then she still lost yet somehow decided that they were split on the decision.

Like Herod

Like Herod

Posted Feb 27, 2005 @ 4:33 AM

Well, that was interesting; I just finished watching the first episode. (I'll "barrow" episode 2 tomorrow.) The whole narration thing is odd; they don't have that on the U.S. version. And the British accent made it sound like the Micheal Jackson documentary. Haha, why no, I don't watch British television ever; why do you ask?

It's nice to see the stereotypes that groups of women are just catty, arguing bitches is confirmed beyond the American Apprentice and Survivor installments.

I don't understand why he fired the black chick at all. And I don't think his advisors understood it either. A bad first firing if you asked me. I wonder how much stock the blonde woman sold wholesale, 'cuz she could have very well fucked up the entire task. I think Sir Alan just fired the other one 'cuz she didn't defend herself well enough. That can make a difference but, in setting the tone for the season, I think he should have fired the chick who really fucked up.

The drama isn't set as intensely as the American version. Even the music doesn't hit as hard. But it's an interesting take on a show I currently watch. Yay, another helping of reality crack. I like that they get to swear. Heehee.

Edited by Like Herod, Feb 27, 2005 @ 5:24 AM.

Kikishua

Kikishua

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 27, 2005 @ 5:15 AM

Oh we all swear like troopers here ;)

modge

modge

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 27, 2005 @ 5:41 PM

The women on this show do seem, I'm sad to say, to be somewhat lacking in the presentation department. The fact that they even showed a clip of the male team snarking on the women's make-up just emphasised it. They (the women) look like school teachers on parents night, not business executives; that is, they look okay but not booted and suited and ready to wow people. It only serves to weaken their already weak position.

Two episodes in and I'm disappointed by the women. I would like to think that women I know are able to behave better than this, without resorting all the time to eye rolling and stealth bitching. I'm hoping this will get better, or at least be diluted, by the mixing of the teams next week.

Like Herod

Like Herod

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 11:37 PM

Interesting second episode. It was basically the first task last season in the US. The boys' idea seemed really interesting until Sir Alan showed all those other toys that were basically the same. Secret Signals sucked ass, but I wonder if they had chosen the robot, would Sir Alan said the same thing to the girls then -- that there were too many similar toys on the market? If not, I definitely think that the robot could've won. (And I have to add, those toy makers made all the ideas turn out really cute.)

Sort of ironic that Lindsay said to her team "put your personal feelings aside..." when all she did the entire time was ignore her teams' opinions, the focus group, or market research due to her own stupid personal ego. And then in the limo she says that she thinks executives shouln't fire employees if they mess up because they have learned from their mistake -- I guess Lindsay doesn't understand the premise of the show. Having them do two presentations, let alone two prototypes, was just retarded. Goodbye Lindsay.

I think I like the US version better but not neccessarily because of a cultural difference or something. The narration makes it feel to documentary-esque but the main difference is that I think the characters on the US casts have much stronger, interesting and dynamic personalities. So far, anyway. But I'm enjoying this UK version.

gyc1

gyc1

Posted Mar 12, 2005 @ 12:46 AM

Man First Forte was really unlucky to lose the Harrod's task. It looked like they did everything right at the start. Tim is really impressing me for stepping up to be project manager twice and doing a good job planning the Harrod's task. Although Paul did mess up the math he seems like a really good salesman. He also looks a lot like Robert Downey Jr.

Smackfu

Smackfu

Posted Mar 12, 2005 @ 4:59 PM

I like the narrator. Why do American reality shows hate narration so much?

Kikishua

Kikishua

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 12, 2005 @ 6:43 PM

And now that's four women axed in a row... (jumping first didn't fool any of us, Adele!)

That was by far the best task to date, not least because it was so close. Different initial tactics and planning, changing those plans as they went along. This was the first time it seemed that the teams were really THINKING about what was required - even though both made various small errors along the way.

trustno1

trustno1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 5:15 AM

It seems likely that a female will not win this.
That's a shame.

Like Herod

Like Herod

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 5:08 PM

Is it just me or did it seem kind of unfair that the other team saw how well Tim's team started out initially, and then begged Harod's for help, resulting in their bear costume thing? It just seemed like the team had screwed itself over by not planning well, and then got bailed out by Harod's when Tim's team really did the better job.

I suppose the task one won on salesmanship though. And as high-intensity as Siarra is, I like her. But sadly, I don't like any of the other girls. They're all kind of nitwits compared to the guys, so far. We haven't seen much of Miraim or the ugly blonde one. I really like Tim, the other leader with the grey hair, and the Robert Downey Jr. look-alike. I hate that "mature student." He's just a temper tantrum waiting to happen.

I'm not sure if I like the way Sir Alan is deciding on firing some of the people though. His advisors never even say anything. Still a good show, I like the tasks a lot.

gyc1

gyc1

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 8:47 PM

I agree, Like Herod, that it was unfair for Harrod's to step in to save Impact. Saira is probably the only woman that's impressed at all but she did a pretty poor job when she was project manager.

gyc1

gyc1

Posted Apr 9, 2005 @ 3:21 AM

I'm really loving this show a lot more than the Trump version. I loved how Alan Sugar gave a lesson in the latest boardroom on exactly how to keep a product under budget. I think I learned more there than in all of Trump's advice segments.

corgi-ears

corgi-ears

Fanatic

• Interests:30 Rock, The Amazing Race, Battlestar Galactica, The Closer, Damages, Friends, How I Met Your Mother, The Office, Project Runway, Wonderfalls

Posted Apr 9, 2005 @ 6:27 AM

Since I'm among friends, I feel that I can reveal how I'm a little in love with James.

Like Herod

Like Herod

Posted Apr 9, 2005 @ 6:35 PM

I'm sad. I haven't seen the past 2 episodes because the torrents of the episodes haven't been posted on the torrent websites for some reason. This sucks.

SillyMamma

SillyMamma

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2005 @ 8:50 PM

James lost a little of his luster for me when he wouldn't really run with the whole jams idea. Yeah, Saira took control--but she brought the team a solid victory.

Who thinks that she's the "loudmouth" for this coming episode?

gyc1

gyc1

Posted Apr 16, 2005 @ 1:28 AM

I can't believe Alan Sugar didn't fire Saira. She pissed off the marketing guy for the club by being rude and threatening to tell Sugar and got trounced in the competition. I guess she was saved by Raj admitting that he's not good at sales. It seems obvious that this group of contestants have never watched the U.S. version because they should've known that admitting any sort of weakness in the boardroom will be very deadly.

Kara

Kara

Posted Apr 17, 2005 @ 1:41 AM

When they were jarring jams, did anyone notice how unsanitary it was? I wonder how long that stuff would last without spoiling.

And the soup? It was kept room temperature all day. That venison stew was just awful looking.

corgi-ears

corgi-ears

Fanatic

• Interests:30 Rock, The Amazing Race, Battlestar Galactica, The Closer, Damages, Friends, How I Met Your Mother, The Office, Project Runway, Wonderfalls

Posted Apr 17, 2005 @ 4:44 AM

Heh. I don't think there's any way for "venison stew" to not be awful.

Saira has been walking the line between "go getter" and "obnoxious loudmouth" for a while, and the balancing act could mean that she has to go soon. Right? Right? God? I'm still calling a final two of Boyfriend James and Alison "Miriam" Janney.

Kikishua

Kikishua

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 21, 2005 @ 3:07 PM

Aha - I'm not the only one getting a C J Cregg vibe from Miriam, then. Excellent.
But she did not deserve to be fired tonight - and for a tenuously scraped together reason at that.

Why on earth is he keeping Paul in despite everything he's said and done?! Because "you remind me of me". Very bad move. Believe me, Alan - if he was working for you you'd soon start disliking him BECAUSE of that!

gyc1

gyc1

Posted Apr 21, 2005 @ 7:47 PM

I also think Miriam shouldn't have gone and I agree that the rationale for firing her was really weak. They failed because Tim and Paul did no research in choosing their products and Tim thought he was so clever in his negotiating. I think Tim will definitely go next week. He's been solid but really hasn't shown much star quality. Paul is an excellent salesman but not very good at anything else. Saira meanwhile has has lost both times she was project manager, has no idea on how to lead a team, and she's just so annoying and condescending. I really don't see how James can possibly not win.