Olympics Coverage

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1341 replies to this topic

Viperswhip

Viperswhip

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 9, 2005 @ 4:42 PM

Are any other Canadians peeved that CTV won the contract to show the 2010 and 2012 Olympics for Canada?

Somehow not having Ron Maclean there will just be bad, I know it.

It's a long time away and plenty can change, but sports in Canada=CBC from my perspective. It will just be wierd and I can't believe it will be as engaging.

Canadian Tyler

Canadian Tyler

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2005 @ 6:09 PM

I was pretty surprised that the IOC chose Bell/Rogers over CBC.

As you said, it's still a while off and we still have 2 more Olympic games with the CBC - but it sure will be odd to have CTV covering it in 10 and 12.
There's a certain familiarity with the CBC's coverage, and their on-air talent that will be missed. Something tells me Rod Black and Valerie Pringle won't be able to fill the void left by Ron Maclean and Brian Williams.

Tartlet

Tartlet

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 9, 2005 @ 6:27 PM

Colour me unimpressed with the decision to go with CTV. While I'm sure CTV had the better deal financially, as a viewer who remembers CTV's coverage of the 1988 Winter Olympics this is cause for concern. I know alot can change in 20 years, but I remember back in '88 thinking that the coverage, production value and commentating crew was sort of "low rent".

Viperswhip

Viperswhip

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 9, 2005 @ 7:08 PM

I must say that I only really watch hockey on a normal basis, though I do tend to watch a great majority of the olympics.

Watching games on TSN or Sportsnet is painful after watching CBC. Just the camera work is insanely different. While Scott Oak and Steve Armitage will never qualify for the over 85 IQ club, most of the CBC talent is pretty well recognized by Canadians as being part of a top notch broadcasting team.

Where is the loyalty? Why would the IOC prefer to leap onto a new bandwagon after the old one had been so well received? I suppose for the Olympic folks it doesn't actually make a difference. They get paid one way or the other, even if fewer viewers tune in than would have otherwise. For the Olympic Committee it must be a pure money consideration.

Then again, I haven't actually heard the amount of the CBC bid, maybe they bid way lower than CTV.

I think CBC is still the only station you can get all across Canada on just rabbit ears but I could be wrong.

davidmello

davidmello

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2005 @ 10:37 PM

Where is the loyalty? Why would the IOC prefer to leap onto a new bandwagon after the old one had been so well received? I suppose for the Olympic folks it doesn't actually make a difference. They get paid one way or the other, even if fewer viewers tune in than would have otherwise. For the Olympic Committee it must be a pure money consideration.

Well, speaking as an American, you just hit the nail on the head. Money is why the IOC would make the change. It sure explains why NBC got the Olympics for the next 150 years (or seems that way, it's actually through 2012) because they showed the IOC the money. As far as I know, CTV doesn't have any regular sports lineup because CBC has all the major events, especially the NHL. I hope CTV beefs up its equipment, and doesn't heavily borrow from TSN to be more Olympic.

Canadian Tyler

Canadian Tyler

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2005 @ 11:09 PM

Then again, I haven't actually heard the amount of the CBC bid, maybe they bid way lower than CTV.

Reportedly, CBC bid about $103 million, while CTV bid $153 million (US dollars). Big difference, but it really should be about more than just money. Apparently, though, it wasn't.

Edited by Canadian Tyler, Feb 9, 2005 @ 11:13 PM.

RedSonja

RedSonja

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 10, 2005 @ 2:51 AM

Olympic broadcasting is always primarily about money. If it was about quality, there's no way NBC would be allowed anywhere near it.

I lived in Canada for four years, and I'd like to extend my early condolences to all Canadians who will have to listen to Rod Black's smarminess for two weeks straight. I can only imagine how unbearable he'll be with the Olympics actually in Canada in 2010. Ack.

MeerkatNotMink

MeerkatNotMink

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 11, 2005 @ 1:55 PM

CTV is just wrong for sports - they occasionally show skating events which are uniformly craptacular.

And aside from that, and the fact that Rob Black is horrid, my usual summer vacation spot doesn't have cable and only gets the two CBC channels! Although I suppose that may change over the next five years, still...

Viperswhip

Viperswhip

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 11, 2005 @ 6:13 PM

CBC is federally mandated to serve all Canadians, the same as Air Canada lol. That's why Air Canada can never be a profitable airline. So five years from now I don't forsee any other stations serving your vacation spot.

That is a large difference in the cash.

CTV just pisses me off actually. I may be mistaken but I believe that when the CBC offered CTV the rights to simulcast the tsnuami benefit, presumably to increase revenues from advertising, the CTV actually said no lol. Nah, we don't want to raise money for anyone thanks. Asswipes.

CBC has the highest viewership for sports events out of all the Canadian networks and has had more average viewers for the Olympics that CTV did time they had them. One can assume that their bid was tailored in such a way that the corporation would make some money on the process. Given their experience and understanding of the advertising revenues that could be generated by broadcasting such an event, I tend to believe that they made the correct decision.

CBC is publicly accountable for every dollar they spend, being a federally created body. CTV is ultimately owned by large private corporations with public and institutional investors. One only has to look at the valuations stocks are presently being sold for on the TSX, NYSE and Nasdaq to realize that most investors are totally freaking clueless. So the CTV can waste all the money it wants. If they believe they can make more money from advertising than the CBC, go for it, haha.

I would sell Rogers and Bell based on their decision making ability. People that think this is a win for those companies probably aren't investors.

caia1970

caia1970

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2005 @ 6:16 PM

I remember the last time CTV did Olympics coverage. I remember hating it and wishing Rob Black would shut the hell up. In fact I think I barely watched that year the coverage was so bad. It's not the Olympics if Brian Williams isn't there.

And it had to be the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver too. This just blows.

Hasbro

Hasbro

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2005 @ 12:28 PM

Opening day for baseball and another year I'm wondering why we don't get to see swimming and Track & field to counteract the boredom of the national past-its-time.

LondonTina

LondonTina

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 6, 2005 @ 8:50 AM

I bet NBC is delighted that the 2012 Olympics will be held in London. They can just reuse all the stock footage of Buckingham Palace, etc. that they've got lying around. Not that it's any more of a cliche than Paris, but I just get the sense that they will be pleased. I'm pleased, but only because I want to see the look on Chirac's face. Hee.

rafflestv

rafflestv

Posted Jul 6, 2005 @ 2:16 PM

Can you imagine Chirac's face, with his recent comments. Never mind that the British press are totally rubbing it in about France going down the pan and that Chirac is on the way out. Was it me or was Tony wearing the same tie as the Olympic bid team at Gleneagles.

Glad for London getting the games, I'm sure they will do a fantastic job. London could do with the incentive to get the transport system up to standard.

memememe76

memememe76

Stalker

Posted Jul 6, 2005 @ 5:23 PM

For Americans living near the border, the move to CTV means no longer being able to watch Canadian coverage of the Olympics.

CTV is just wrong for sports - they occasionally show skating events which are uniformly craptacular.

Oh, I like CTV's Figure skating coverage just fine. I think Tracy Wilson is the best FS commentator we have. And I heard that Chris Cuthbert will be taking over Rod Black's role.

I actually thought CTV did an impressive job with the Winter Games in 1988. I guess it's my continued love of Johnny Esaw.

And NBC must be ecstatic. 2010 in Vancouver, 2012 in London.

Edited by memememe76, Jul 6, 2005 @ 5:24 PM.

ShellsandCheese

ShellsandCheese

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2005 @ 9:52 PM

I'm already sick of the Olympic coverage :) But seriously I was actually rooting for Paris but London was my second choice. Actually my attitude was any city not named New York.

I was really irked my all the digs at the French, after London was awarded the games. Is that really neccessary. The peeps over at Fox and Msnbc were just so damn catty. It was like being in Jr. High.

Shelly98

Shelly98

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2005 @ 11:30 PM

For Americans living near the border, the move to CTV means no longer being able to watch Canadian coverage of the Olympics.

Oh, god. Tell me about it. NBC's coverage is terrible; and I don't get CTV anymore (I don't remember their coverage of the games in Barcelona, back when I could get CTV with the rabbit ears--go figure!). The Ceeb's coverage, on the other hand, has always been awesome. If I'm still living in the US by then, I'm probably going to go postal.

And I heard that Chris Cuthbert will be taking over Rod Black's role.

Now I'll be missing the fella even more. I've been missing him fierce since the Ceeb's coverage of the CFL started this year. Dammit!

silentbob

silentbob

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2005 @ 9:31 PM

It's not for another 7 years, but I can predict NBC's coverage already:

Image of a double-decker bus
Clip of Michael Phelps
Image of the Queen
Clip of Ian Thorpe
Image of Big Ben
Clip of Misty May on top of Kerri Walsh

Lather, rinse, repeat.

ShellsandCheese

ShellsandCheese

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2005 @ 11:35 PM

It's not for another 7 years, but I can predict NBC's coverage already:

Clip of Michael Phelps
Image of the Queen
Clip of Ian Thorpe
Image of Big Ben

Lather, rinse, repeat.

And now that London has been attacked by terrorists, we will get plenty of coverage of that as well.

Edited by ShellsandCheese, Jul 11, 2005 @ 11:36 PM.

Shelly98

Shelly98

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2005 @ 1:25 AM

Actually, it'll probably go something like this...

Clip of Michael Phelps
Image of the Queen
Clip of Ian Thorpe
Image of Big Ben
Image of Buckingham Palace
Clip of (insert name of up-and-coming USican athlete here)
News footage from London bombings
Clip of (insert name of another up-and-coming USican athlete here)

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Slade347

Slade347

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2005 @ 1:46 AM

Well, we know there won't be any coverage of baseball and softball. Then again, NBC won't have any coverage of baseball or softball in 2008 either.

Edited by Slade347, Jul 13, 2005 @ 1:46 AM.

caia1970

caia1970

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2006 @ 5:14 PM

Dredging up this thread to report that I just read this over at Canoe!:

Brian Williams, for over 30 years the voice of CBC's Olympic broadcasts, is jumping to the private network when his contract runs out at the end of this year. Williams will anchor CTV's coverage of the 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver and the 2012 summer Games in London.

Holy Crap! CTV stole Brian Williams! I am gobsmacked.

Shelly98

Shelly98

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2006 @ 12:08 AM

I knew Brian Williams was going to host the Olympic broadcasts for them, but I didn't catch he was leaving the Ceeb. Eeek!

Yeah, I'm gobsmacked, too.

Canadian Tyler

Canadian Tyler

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2006 @ 8:18 PM

...is jumping to the private network when his contract runs out at the end of this year.

Another development, CBC terminated him this week before the end of his contract. So he won't be involved with CFL this year.
I figured he'd jump to CTV after 2008, but surprised he went early.

AlexDS69

AlexDS69

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 12, 2006 @ 12:10 AM

CTV having broadcasting rights for Vancouver 2010?

I can see it all now.

Ben Mulroney doing color commentary for the opening ceremonies while Jon Dore and Elena Juatco whore themselves next to apathetic, non-anglophone Russian athletes.

Zack Werner joining the figure skating commentators only to throw a trash can at each contestant who falls on his or her ass at least once.

I shudder to think what Jake Gold would do.

ShannenB2000

ShannenB2000

Stalker

Posted Jul 10, 2006 @ 9:52 PM

I know there's no love for NBC on this thread, so I was surprised not to see this mentioned, since it all started a couple months back. Then again, most people don't follow swimming outside of the Games. I'm a swimming fan, so I'm not exactly impartial about it, so I thought I'd post this and see what some non-swimming fan's opinions are.

Basically, NBC is trying to change the structure of swimming at the 2008 Games to suit their own broadcast schedule. Typically, swimmers compete in prelims in the morning, and finals (or semi-finals) at night. However, with the US set to do some damage in the pool, NBC has decided that they would prefer to show the events live. But the time difference in Beijing is 12 hours.

So the plan NBC has come up with? Ask the IOC to move the swimming finals to the *morning* local time instead of at night. So instead of swimming the prelims in the morning, you'd swim them the night before, with finals taking place the following morning.

You'd think the IOC would laugh and throw NBC out on their ear, right? Wrong! They're actually considering it, and seemed set to give the go-ahead until some other nations that have also bought broadcasting rights started making some noise about it.The sport's governing body, FINA, basically told the IOC to do whatever they wanted. Now the IOC says they'll delay a decision until August...but people are still expecting them to become NBC's lap-dog and make the change anyway.

Guess NBC wasn't satisfied with just screwing up the coverage--now they want to potentially screw up the athlete's performances as well!

Edited by ShannenB2000, Jul 10, 2006 @ 9:57 PM.

TarHeelTeacher

TarHeelTeacher

Fanatic

Posted Aug 11, 2006 @ 1:38 PM

Don't be silly. You know the Olympics aren't about the athletes. The Olympics are about the networks and the sponsors. I am at the beach and one of the books I brought was The Boys of Winter -- about the 1980 US Olympic Hockey Team. It made me so sad to remember what the Olympics used to be, or how they used to be. My only consolation is that Katie won't be there for NBC, and Al Michaels is now an NBC broadcaster so we could potentially have him, but much of the other suckage will continue.

concreteblondie

concreteblondie

Posted Aug 11, 2006 @ 1:53 PM

TarHeel, I am so going to have to get that book. It is in my Amazon wish list right now. Thanks for the heads up.

Shelly98

Shelly98

Fanatic

Posted Aug 12, 2006 @ 10:31 PM

Okay, my NBC Olympic coverage hate just went up to the stratosphere. Freakin' morons.

soymilk

soymilk

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2006 @ 10:01 AM

Bah, NBC. Why don't they just make all the swimmers compete in Chinatown in New York? It's close enough.

VeronicaNC

VeronicaNC

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2006 @ 12:24 PM

The Boys of Winter -- about the 1980 US Olympic Hockey Team.

Can you imagine how much present day NBC would have screwed up the coverage in 1980? They would have totally tried to go around Herb Brooks and his "the players are off limits to the press" policy. Khatie would have been hitting on Jim Craig and wanting to massage Jack O'Callahan's knee.