Rob & Amber: TAR 7 and All Stars

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

4551 replies to this topic

MarquisDCarabas

MarquisDCarabas

Posted Feb 8, 2005 @ 11:26 PM

Is it too early to start this thread?

Boo for stunt casting. Between the two of them they've four chances to win a million, and she did win.

Let's hope they last about as long as Alison and Donny.

czechmix

czechmix

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 8, 2005 @ 11:54 PM

Yes, I agree about the stunt casting. I do not want them on TAR just because they have celebrity status and that they said they've been big fans of TAR. This show is for teams who are normal, every day people. Rob and Amber have had their fame and I personally do NOT believe they warrant any reason to be on this show. It's just not right, IMHO. I HATE that they will be on TAR7 and I HOPE they are the first team eliminated.

riley702

riley702

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2005 @ 12:41 AM

This show is for teams who are normal, every day people.

Good Lord, after the season we just had? Also, having appeared on a reality show before doesn't necessarily mean they're abnormal, etc. Yeah, it's stunt casting. Yeah, TPTB have done it before, and they'll do it again. Sometimes it's a spectacular failure, other times...not so much. Yeah, I'm a little tired of seeing them everywhere. But, I think they may just kick ass on TAR. They seem to plan, strategize and work together well. They may also bring much-needed comic relief, if we get to hear Rob's snarks about the other teams. So, I have no objections to them being on the show, OR doing well.

Textell

Textell

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2005 @ 12:44 AM

I personally, am excited for them to be on TAR. I know that it was stunt casting, but I think they'll work better than Donny and Alison did. They're both physically and mentally strong. I don't know if I want them to win the million, but I want them to last for awhile.

kjob

kjob

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 9, 2005 @ 12:48 AM

I HATE the fact that they are on the next season. The only thing that would have made it tolerable for me is if Ethan and Jenna had also been recruited to compete against them. Talk about a favorite team, that would have been awesome. I can't stand Rob's smirk and I hope that they don't taint much of the season. I don't want to NOT look forward to a show that I've been excited about since it hit the air. grrr. Rob summed it up in the preview "they don't want us to win again. too bad." He is such an a$%

kjob

kjob

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 9, 2005 @ 12:49 AM

the only thing I hope their presence does is get the ratings even higher. the more folks that watch the show the better....

robirds

robirds

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 9, 2005 @ 12:55 AM

I have nothing against Rob & Amber, I kind of like them. And I understand why the producers probably figure their appearance will bring more viewers. But that said, I simply don't like it when previous reality show contestants are allowed to jump to competing on other shows. There are thousands of unknown people who are more than ready, willing and able to be contestants on shows like The Amazing Race. I'd rather they were given a chance than having contestants be recycled. It simply doesn't seem fair to me, I guess.

Edited by robirds, Feb 9, 2005 @ 12:56 AM.

scrounge

scrounge

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2005 @ 12:57 AM

I actually think these two will make pretty decent racers. Well, Rob will and Ahmbah will dutifully follow. :) I think they (read: he) has the drive, guile, and smarts to understand the difference between a campout and a race. I could be wrong, of course...

Hey, at least it's not Rupert!

emholl

emholl

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 9, 2005 @ 1:14 AM

I have to say that as much as I loathed Rob and Amber on Survivor All-Stars, I did walk away from that show with a lot of respect for the way they played the game. And, I think that their strength as a couple will make them good contestants on TAR. Both of them are physically strong and Rob is a good game player. I think he may prove to be as good a racer as Colin--although hopefully a lot more quiet and less verbally abusive.

But more than that, I think that they will add a dynamic to the race that we haven't really seen before. As Rob said on the trailers for TAR7, no one wants them to win because they've already won a million dollars. It could be cool to see a team start the race with the entire pack out for their blood.

On an entirely unrelated note, was anyone surprised to see how plain and average looking Amber was in the previews?! I almost didn't recognize her without her TV makeup or tell-tale Survivor buff.

Textell

Textell

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2005 @ 1:22 AM

On an entirely unrelated note, was anyone surprised to see how plain and average looking Amber was in the previews?! I almost didn't recognize her without her TV makeup or tell-tale Survivor buff.

I kind of did too. During the previews, I spent my time looking for her, and didn't recognize her until Phil announced Rob and Amber.

I think it will be interesting to see how they handle the stresses of the race as a couple. I think TAR is a lot different, stress wise than Survivor. I know both of them are pretty stressful, but with TAR, sometimes you have to deal with things that are completely out of your control, such as taxis, planes, etc.

I think they'll be interesting to watch.

Krissie

Krissie

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2005 @ 2:10 AM

Is it too early to start this thread?

Probably. But let's hope it stays open. Snark on!

Hey, at least it's not Rupert!

Sometimes there isn't enough word in the universe.

Bleh. ASS was so boring, I didn't even finish watching it. Hopefully, they will be better TV on TAR.

Etta Place

Etta Place

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2005 @ 2:12 AM

I've missed that Boston accent. I think they're going to be great .. I suspect one of their main strengths is going to be that Rob is not afraid to lead and Amber is not afraid to trust his judgment. Now, whether or not his abilities extend to finding flights, having a good sense of direction and most importantly, choosing a good cab driver remains to be seen.

Lexcentric

Lexcentric

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2005 @ 2:14 AM

H.A.T.E both of them, but him especially... smarmy, self congratulating prick!! damn, BVM, why did you have to stoop to CBS' wishes to cross-cast, and why this tool and his appendage ?!

Driatye

Driatye

Posted Feb 9, 2005 @ 2:23 AM

Shocked to see Boston Rob in the previews. After this sucky race I'm thrilled to see Rob in the race. Oh and yeah...Amber too, yawn. Hope they last a good long time.

royalfan

royalfan

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2005 @ 3:32 AM

Is it too early to start a "GET THE HELL OFF MY TV!" rant?

I thought it was a little ironic that "survivors" Rob and Amber are going to be up against a POW. You see Rob's arrogant smirk contrasted against the guy's video that was no doubt plastered all over Al Jazeera. I bet the famewhores didn't think they'd be competing against a real-life survivor.

LTG

LTG

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2005 @ 7:12 AM

I think it is a little too early to start this thread. Since Miss Alli's usual practice is to start the threads for a new season's racers all at once (and to move the former season's racers to the past seasons area at the same time), I'm going to close this for now. I'm sure it won't be long before she re-opens or restarts the thread.

nck

nck

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 1, 2005 @ 9:18 AM

The Rob & Amber love dingy* floats again!

*TM Sureshot26

ABJ

ABJ

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2005 @ 12:03 PM

The Rob & Amber love dingy* floats again!

*TM Sureshot26

nck - I cannot wait to set sail !

Love, Love, Love them (well, Rob - Amber is just part of the package and what a fine package it is)

Edited by ABJ, Mar 1, 2005 @ 12:03 PM.

LawDog

LawDog

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2005 @ 12:11 PM

Yes, nothing says fun and high-larity than a man who can spit out the word "queer" to describe a fellow contestant.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Mar 1, 2005 @ 1:30 PM

Major, major love for these two and I don't care who knows it! Seriously, they're going to have to do something Spazzpants level to make me root against them.

easjer

easjer

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2005 @ 3:31 PM

While I typically am against cross casting, I think this was brilliant casting by BVM, etc. Survivor, despite how crappy it has become, still has enormous ratings, and pulling in these two are well known (and bring immediate strong emotions, love and hate, to the table) was brilliant. Ratings are going to go way up.

Look at how intense the focus has been on these two already -- people will be tuning in to see them succeed or tuning in to see them fail. And if that gets my favorite show back on the air (after the flop I expect season 8 to be), then rock on.

Personally, of all the potential cross casts, I think this is a great choice. They are actually fans of the show, and smart, and physically fit. And the stuff they pulled to win on Survivor will not help them in this race, so I can't wait to see what they do.

I'm not exactly on the love train, and I'm not on the hate train. I'm on the definitely think this will prove to be interesting train.

Let's see how they do.

mallycat17

mallycat17

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2005 @ 3:55 PM

While I typically am against cross casting, I think this was brilliant casting by BVM, etc. Survivor, despite how crappy it has become, still has enormous ratings, and pulling in these two are well known (and bring immediate strong emotions, love and hate, to the table) was brilliant. Ratings are going to go way up.

Look at how intense the focus has been on these two already -- people will be tuning in to see them succeed or tuning in to see them fail. And if that gets my favorite show back on the air (after the flop I expect season 8 to be), then rock on.

Personally, of all the potential cross casts, I think this is a great choice. They are actually fans of the show, and smart, and physically fit. And the stuff they pulled to win on Survivor will not help them in this race, so I can't wait to see what they do.

I will personally be surprised if these two have a huge impact on the ratings, and quite honestly, don't want the ratings to go up solely because of them (just to prevent other cross casting in the future, and the last thing their egos need is to think people were only watching because of them). Phil said in that TV Guide interview that Rob/Amber were the ones asking to be on, not the other way around, so at least if these 2 hadn't campaigned so hard, they wouldn't have been put on. If I have to give Rob a compliment (and I still think Amber is a really crappy Survivor player) he is entertaining, in an obnoxious sort of way. And there are a couple of teams that I hope go before these 2.

phantomframe

phantomframe

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2005 @ 4:01 PM

I'm very interested to see these two compete outside of the "Survivor" realm. I can't imagine Ambuh is whiny, but it will be fun to see them when the travel stress hits them both. Reading maps, asking for directions--these are things I just don't see Rob doing.

The article in the new TV Guide has pretty much everyone in the race hating the two of them. Not a big surprise!

zalargo

zalargo

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 1, 2005 @ 4:12 PM

Rob and Amber are both athletic and competitive. Amber is intelligent; Rob excels at challenges. In my opinion, they have an excellent chance to win.

keram

keram

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2005 @ 4:13 PM

The article in the new TV Guide has pretty much everyone in the race hating the two of them.

I've read other sources that relate the same information. If there is a general obnoxiousness towards Rob and Amber, it will make me root for them big time.

Unless, of course, they turn out to be a couple of jerks.

Lucine

Lucine

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 1, 2005 @ 4:50 PM

I'm very interested to see these two compete outside of the "Survivor" realm. I can't imagine Ambuh is whiny, but it will be fun to see them when the travel stress hits them both. Reading maps, asking for directions--these are things I just don't see Rob doing.

I think their experience on TAR will be very different, becuase there is a lot more circumstantial luck involved (if this season is like the last, what with all the bunching). I can see Rob getting really worked up when him and Amber hit a challenge hours ahead of everyone, only to find that it doesn't open till the next day...and by then everyone else will be there. He can't sweet talk and handshake his way through that.

And although cross-casting is a scam for more ratings/money, such is the world of big-name network television, no?

Edited by Lucine, Mar 1, 2005 @ 4:51 PM.

Miss Alli

Miss Alli

Stalker

Posted Mar 1, 2005 @ 5:36 PM

A small part of me roots for them for one reason and one reason only: to spite Lex.

auntlada

auntlada

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2005 @ 5:38 PM

That's a good reason, Miss Alli.

Quite Nutty

Quite Nutty

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2005 @ 5:41 PM

Spiting Lex is always a good reason for anything.

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Mar 1, 2005 @ 5:43 PM

Rob? Yuck. Silly obnoxious even if he has goods. I'm not about to put a halo on his dickness. That's what a cockring is, and even if it's purposeful and effective it still looks ridiculous.