S4: Naima

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

2050 replies to this topic

fuzzykitten

fuzzykitten

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2005 @ 4:04 PM

Cute and young looking, but I don't think she has a shot of winning, because of her height. Not digging the hairdo, but I could see her doing well in pictures as long as she closes her mouth. I'm getting memories of Jay yelling at Heather (who?)

grammarcore

grammarcore

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 18, 2005 @ 12:14 PM

I'm not quite getting why people think she'll rock the beauty shot. I think she is very interesting looking, but I don't think she has a traditionally beautiful face. I would assume people with more facial symmetry would fare better in the beauty shots, while she would probably rock full-length, clown-jumping-on-trampoline-with-her-alter-ego shots.

It'sAllAboutTheGiants

It'sAllAboutTheGiants

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2005 @ 2:47 PM

WHAT'S THAT? SPEAK UP, WHY DONCHA? I CAN'T HEEEEEEAR YOU!

Sorry. I can't get past the ears. Fug.

gracie18

gracie18

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 18, 2005 @ 3:17 PM

Didn't they cut that one girl last year because her hair was too "out there?" what are they going to do in her make-over? Give her extensions? If they do, then her hair will overpower her features, which look very delicate to me.
She's cute, don't get me wrong, but after looking at her picture a few more times I really don't think she's model material

FahrVerGnugen

FahrVerGnugen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 23, 2005 @ 12:06 PM

I'm not as much inclined to the full-length shot on the UPN site as I am to her face shot. I think she's very pretty. It's true what someone mentioned upthread about having an "exotic" girl each cycle, yet none has made it far enough to really contend for the title.
It hinges on what they're looking for in the season. I think the proliferation of tall, light-haired, blue-eyed types means they're aiming for that. Either way, I'm trying to not get too attached since my favorites have a tendency to fall short (Mercedes, Nicole). Either way, here's for hoping she does well...

As for her ethnicity, anyone think she might be Maori? I'm just putting the whole 'Whale-Rider' thing in context when guessing.

suurenkai

suurenkai

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 24, 2005 @ 12:51 AM

At first glance, she totally reminded me of Nora from Project Runway. I think it's the coloring and hairstyle.

enjoyallison

enjoyallison

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2005 @ 7:42 PM

It's true what someone mentioned upthread about having an "exotic" girl each cycle, yet none has made it far enough to really contend for the title.

Wasn't Yaya intended to be last cycle's "exotic" gal?

Amber4481

Amber4481

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2005 @ 2:16 AM

I think she's beautiful. Having said that she will most likely act like a total monster.

itsnothere

itsnothere

Posted Feb 27, 2005 @ 2:41 AM

Shes smokinly feirce in the red dress shot, and uniquely soft and feminine in the close up shot on the upn website. Shes striking in both face and body. And shes got a cute voice in the video in the spoliers thread.

Boy some of her comments are daft though, she wanted to become a monk, and thought a mohawk would be "ideal to acheive that", go figure. And apparently she thinks that centering the hair on her head will center the substance inside her head. Yeah...you might want to try another method....cuz it ain't working.

But...umm...at least shes thoughtful.....

I predict she'll be the Yaya of this season. I hate the pretentious bullcrap she was spewing...but, hey, shes still my fave so far.

enjoyallison

enjoyallison

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2005 @ 7:46 PM

I predict she'll be the Yaya of this season.

Please, please, no. I don't know if I can take another Yaya, and Naima is so cute and wonderful. Then again, I haven't seen the video preview. Yet. Oh, Christ.

ghettofabman

ghettofabman

Stalker

• Interests:Snark, snark, and more snark....what else were you expecting?!?

Posted Mar 1, 2005 @ 2:57 AM

I like Naima....well, the bit that I saw of her from that link. Is it just me or does anyone else get a "Digable Planets" girl vibe from her. Not to worry, I'm cool like 'dat, I rhyme like 'dat, I'm stacked like 'dat, I'm out (Hee!).

skittishkitten

skittishkitten

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2005 @ 1:12 AM

Whoa. Definitely a car coming down the street with both doors open. Jason Behr, much?

Naima sorta reminds me of that mannish chick in Jay-Z's "Change Clothes" video. I guess it's the cockatiel hairstyle...

Edited by skittishkitten, Mar 2, 2005 @ 1:13 AM.

ladysaw

ladysaw

Posted Mar 2, 2005 @ 8:29 PM

I love her hair and think she's gorgeous. Another one of my favorites.

prmami

prmami

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2005 @ 8:44 PM

Is it just me or does anyone else get a "Digable Planets" girl vibe from her.

Totally.

I'm digging Naima for now. I love the one shot they showed of her before she cut her hair off.

Girl McGee

Girl McGee

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 2, 2005 @ 8:54 PM

I totally got the Yaya vibe too. But who knows - maybe she'll kick some ass?

fouroclock

fouroclock

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2005 @ 8:56 PM

From what I've seen, she is the Nicole that never was, and I hope she stays that way.

Edited by fouroclock, Mar 2, 2005 @ 8:57 PM.

JohnnySunshine9

JohnnySunshine9

Video Archivist

• Interests:baseball and low-quality reality tv or documentary specials, pop culture crap that MTV puts on aimed at 12 year old girls. Let's be honest, I will watch anything that doesn't attack me first.

Posted Mar 2, 2005 @ 8:56 PM

I have the Yaya vibe too, I think it's the way she carries herself (dancer). God, she is stunning, she's my favorite, I think she is going to tear up the beauty shots.

sepia

sepia

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2005 @ 10:35 PM

Pretty girl, graceful, and named after a musical piece! Yay! I like her mohawk, too, which is strange. Naima is my favorite as of now. She sort of reminds me of Yaya, without the daunting confidence.

Amber4481

Amber4481

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2005 @ 10:47 PM

As of this moment I will say that Namia is my favorite. I think she's the best looking/most intersting of the lot. I just hope she doesn't punk-out and make me hate her by episode 6.

skittishkitten

skittishkitten

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2005 @ 11:42 PM

Though I still can't get over the the ears (which I decided were kinda cute in a way), she is rockin' that mohawk. And it fits her personality. I loved how she had a deeper meaning for chopping off the longer locks. And not just to be "punk rawk!" like some people out there. *coughAshleeSimpsoncough*

Knowing more about her than just her picture, she's definitely one of my favorites. And she looked gorgeous today.

InfiniteSam

InfiniteSam

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 3, 2005 @ 1:14 AM

Is it wrong for me to want for her to win this thing?? I think that Naima is absolutely gorgeous!! She better win this or I will be so upset.

Ember

Ember

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2005 @ 1:56 AM

I am loving Naima. She has a great look, and I hope she goes far. And I hope they don't continual berate her for her dance experience.

Laballatician

Laballatician

Posted Mar 3, 2005 @ 2:43 AM

After watching the Insider video she is my no.1. She is def. NO Yaya. She comes across as very sincere and not condescending at all.

Benito

Benito

Posted Mar 3, 2005 @ 2:48 AM

What was all that jibber-jabber about her haircut again? I mean it sort of works for her, but I'm not sure I understood half of it.

nowrite2000

nowrite2000

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2005 @ 3:37 AM

Bitch was fierce in the photobooth. I can't wait to see her portfolio develop.

Edited by nowrite2000, Mar 3, 2005 @ 3:38 AM.

crethas

crethas

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2005 @ 10:03 AM

She thinks people dislike her because she's so beautiful, and because she's happy and they're not, but she will "cure them with compassion." Oh. My. God. Bitch is truly the new Yaya. Kill me now.

MontyAshley

MontyAshley

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2005 @ 11:28 AM

Love her.

And with Tyra saying "fierce" every eight seconds, Naima is the only one who comes close to actual fierceness. So I think she'll be around for awhile. I hope so, anyway.

Ona

Ona

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 3, 2005 @ 2:43 PM

Something about the way she posed in her photobooth pics was reminiscent of Elyse. I like her, I like her look, I like her attitude, I like monk mohawk and her reasons for cutting her hair off. Tyra better not pretend to forget who she is!

enjoyallison

enjoyallison

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2005 @ 4:12 PM

I am totally digging Naima- I'm not totally sure that's a good thing, though, because in this show, I tend to early-pick girls who turn out to be bitches. Like Yaya last season.

Anyway, I liked all the stuff she said (except perhaps explaining who Coltrane is, because... duh... but anyway). I liked her reasons for having the mohawk. I don't know, it's easy to understand why she would want to cut off all her hair to feel like a new person. A new look can help you shed a feeling that you are stuck in a persona.

Anyway, NAIMA RULES yes forever.

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Mar 3, 2005 @ 4:14 PM

I got the Yaya vibe from her, too. It was mostly in her superior smirk in her interviews. She seemed to be so certain that based upon being the daughter of musicians and named after a John Coltrane piece and having gotten a mohawk to cleanse herself,that she is in possesion of all of life's mystery...and is better than the rest of us for that, but she will impart her superiority as life lessons for the inferiors.

Edited by vallegirl, Mar 3, 2005 @ 4:15 PM.