S4: Naima

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

2050 replies to this topic

qtmcwhiskers

qtmcwhiskers

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2005 @ 3:10 AM

She just doesn't have the CoverGirl look, and with their heavy sponsorship of the show I have a hard time believing they're going to let her win, regardless of what potential she might have in the modeling world outside of hawking "LipSlicks."

ghettofabman

ghettofabman

Stalker

• Interests:Snark, snark, and more snark....what else were you expecting?!?

Posted May 13, 2005 @ 4:24 AM

From jump, I have always said that this competition is Naima's to lose. She has the backing of two judges......Nigel and Janice. Then again, Mercedes had the same backing and look how that turned out. Let's just hope that Janice hates her in the final 2 if she gets there so she can have a shot at winning this.

vicesick

vicesick

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2005 @ 2:51 PM

More on the "we just don't know who you are" b.s.--sometimes the most interesting people are the ones that take a while to know. You see little glimmers here and there. So let her be a little mysterious, dammit you judges!

Edited by vicesick, May 13, 2005 @ 2:51 PM.

enjoyallison

enjoyallison

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2005 @ 5:04 PM

Dude, vicesick. Obvious and loud is the new elegant and mysterious.

amore

amore

Posted May 14, 2005 @ 5:10 AM

I saw this somewhere, I hope it's ok to post it here

Naima It's the 4th entry under the May 11th blog.

JennaC

JennaC

Posted May 14, 2005 @ 12:02 PM

Naima picking Keenyah to share in the challenge winning, just rocks my world.
Even though none of the people on the show are apt enough to realize it, Naima picking Keenyah is a subtle, brilliant way of exposing how idiotic and pathetic Keenyah is for trying to bring Naima down. It was Naima showing how above all the cattiness she is. And how above Keenyah she is, because even helping Keenyah won't damage Naima.

Naima is a competitor; she plays to win. She feels that Kahlen is her competition; therefore, by default, she picked Brittany and Keenyah to have more shots. I like Naima, but she ain't sweet and innocent....she just plays the game at a higher level than someone like Keenyah who shows all of her cards at once.

HaySpayTu

HaySpayTu

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2005 @ 6:18 PM

Naima rawks, despite her shyness, and all CoverGirl needs to do is use those WetSlicks to slick Naima's hair back if they don't like the mohawk.

Also, for those upthread: YaYa's Sephora campaign. Apalling.

consterno

consterno

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2005 @ 1:32 AM

Naima is very reminiscent of the early dark-haired Madonna in many of her photos.

Yes, I made that comment before, she looks a lot like Madonna in her eary years sometimes. Especially in her audition tape.

Totally!

She also reminds me of Gwen Stefani in the ostrich/pervy Bertini/40s shoot a little bit.

But i totally don't see the J.Lo thing. Maybe cause I don't want to.

Steph

Steph

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2005 @ 6:09 AM

She also reminds me of Gwen Stefani in the ostrich/pervy Bertini/40s shoot a little bit.

But i totally don't see the J.Lo thing. Maybe cause I don't want to.

She reminded me of Josephine Baker in the pervy Bertini shoot!

anna0312

anna0312

Channel Surfer

Posted May 16, 2005 @ 10:59 AM

I find Naima's voice so annoying, it almost fascinates me.

wereallgonnadie

wereallgonnadie

Posted May 16, 2005 @ 12:12 PM

Maybe Naima talks so slowly because she is just trying to emulate Tyra who always speaks slooooooooowly when in front of the contestants.

Mint Tea

Mint Tea

Posted May 16, 2005 @ 4:41 PM

I really have to wonder what's up with Miss Mora. It's almost as if she's tyring to sabotage herself. This is not the place to be shy and demure. It's a reality show competition! You're SUPPOSED to toot your own horn and stand out. I love you Naima but damn girl. Step it up!

I agree, kidcore. Maybe she doesn't really want to win. Maybe she knows it will ruin her "artistic credibility" or something. (And maybe she's right!)
I love Naima, and by the way the thing about her 3/4 face in photos is crap, her big photo here which is nearly straight-on is what made me love her in the first place.

Edited by Mint Tea, May 16, 2005 @ 4:42 PM.

KeepinItReal

KeepinItReal

Posted May 16, 2005 @ 10:13 PM

Naima's grandmother Elizabeth Catlett the sculptor, who was discussed in this thread, was a guest at Oprah's Legends Ball on Saturday. Here is a picture of her...
Naima's Grandmother

Amber4481

Amber4481

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2005 @ 11:22 PM

Naima's grandmother Elizabeth Catlett the sculptor, who was discussed in this thread, was a guest at Oprah's Legends Ball on Saturday. Here is a picture of her...
Naima's Grandmother

That grandma isn't dark enough. To me, she's not Black, same with Oprah. [/Keenyah]

I think Naima speaks the way she does because unlike the rest of the wack-o-loons on this show, she actually takes her meds.

Mysignaturewalk

Mysignaturewalk

Channel Surfer

Posted May 17, 2005 @ 1:06 AM

I love Naima, and by the way the thing about her 3/4 face in photos is crap, her big photo here which is nearly straight-on is what made me love her in the first place.

I dont even think she's stunning in that photo. Notice in the photo next to it her face is in profile and she looks alot better. I think she looks like a puppy. I don't think her or Kahlen has really stepped it up enough to deserve winning. Naima is so reserved and in the fashion industry you have to be talkative and inviting. She's not really inviting to me. Kahlen is edited as being so helpless when in actuality she's bitchy. I'm glad Keenyah is honest and I sooo would have pushed the girls out of the way too. Its a COMPETITION...not a sorority.

Edited by Mysignaturewalk, May 17, 2005 @ 1:17 AM.

qtmcwhiskers

qtmcwhiskers

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2005 @ 1:28 AM

For once I have to agree with the judges, Naima is less than stunning head-on. Something about her from that angle just makes her look like a damn gelfling. I think she's beautiful in a lot of her pics, but in the UPN close-up there's too much of that freaky elfin vibe, same deal with the wood nymph one. And when you look too elfin for a nature shot where looking like a wood nymph should be a good thing...well...it just ain't good.

Melewen

Melewen

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2005 @ 7:50 AM

gtmcwhiskers, I agree. But I think a lot of that has to do with being over-airbrushed. Instead of people, they make their models look like statues. So much expression is in the small lines and muscles of your face. By erasing them, they make Naima (and the other girls) just look wooden.

gracie18

gracie18

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 17, 2005 @ 11:11 AM

Something about her from that angle just makes her look like a damn gelfling.

OT And what's scary? If my boyfriend were one of the judges he'd make Naima the ANTM because she looked like a gelfling. He thinks gelflings are hot. And yes, I do realize that he's incredibly weird.OT

Topic? I agree that Naima looks better in profile, because her features aren't angular enough in a full face shot. But I still think she does better on the runway than any of the other girls

Mysignaturewalk

Mysignaturewalk

Channel Surfer

Posted May 17, 2005 @ 1:10 PM

But I still think she does better on the runway than any of the other girls

I think Keenyah has a killer walk. Naima doesnt look as confident as Keenyah does and this IMO will be her downfall.

Edited by Mysignaturewalk, May 17, 2005 @ 1:11 PM.

ghettofabman

ghettofabman

Stalker

• Interests:Snark, snark, and more snark....what else were you expecting?!?

Posted May 17, 2005 @ 2:34 PM

I disagree. I happen to think that Naima is the one with the killer walk. Did you see her work that mop in the K-Mart runway challenge?? I could not take my eyes off of her!! There is something about her in live motion that makes me not wanna take my eyes off her for one second. I agree with Tyra that Quagmire has boring energy.

Amber4481

Amber4481

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2005 @ 5:15 PM

I have to say that were I a designer, I would be much more drawn to the quiet composed girls than those with "personality or attitude". "Personality and attitude" shows up drunk/late, refuses to wear certain outfits and overshadows the clothing, whereas quiet composure (i.e. Naima) is always professional, treats the jobs like a job and always strives to make the clothing/line look good rather than herself. I think it's a comparison similar to Jance (in the 70s, we've all seen the True Hollywood Story, not Janice now, I get the feeling Janice now works her ass off) vs. Cindy Crawford. Photographers loved to work with Cindy because, like Naima, she worked her ass off, kept her composure and knew when to keep her mouth shut. Drama is great for TV. but bullshit to work with and I think that's why Naima might actually have a shot once this whole shebang is over. Afterall, after winning Covergirl of the week 14 thousand times, Covergirl would be straight up stupid not to throw her some work.

chrismoloko

chrismoloko

Posted May 17, 2005 @ 5:33 PM

Amen to that, Amber4481!

This especially:

Afterall, after winning Covergirl of the week 14 thousand times, Covergirl would be straight up stupid not to throw her some work.

[Please use quote tags when quoting another poster. --Potes]

Edited by Potes, May 18, 2005 @ 9:49 AM.

BlkChile401

BlkChile401

Posted May 17, 2005 @ 5:46 PM

Naima looks like Justin Timberlake. They could be fraternal twins.

LoganTheHuge

LoganTheHuge

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2005 @ 6:01 PM

Naima looks like Justin Timberlake. They could be fraternal twins.

ack! Why did you have to say that? Now I can't stop seeing him when I see her and I HATE Justin Timberlake with the passion of a hungry Keenyah. Thanks a lot, Blk, you've ruined sweet, adorable Naima for me forever.

BlkChile401

BlkChile401

Posted May 17, 2005 @ 6:08 PM

ack! Why did you have to say that? Now I can't stop seeing him when I see her and I HATE Justin Timberlake with the passion of a hungry Keenyah. Thanks a lot, Blk, you've ruined sweet, adorable Naima for me forever.

Sorry): LOL The resemblance between her and Justin Timberlake is so amazing I'm surprised it doesn't get said more often around here.

She's still cute though:)

curve112

curve112

Posted May 17, 2005 @ 6:53 PM

Here are two photographs of Naima from her partying days (taken from another board)

http://img.photobuck...awlidchild1.jpg

http://img.photobuck...awildchild2.jpg

Sty

Sty

Posted May 17, 2005 @ 7:57 PM

God, she just looks so weird without short hair. It definately suits her.

That photo from her childhood in the recap episode was quite unacceptable...

Edited by Sty, May 17, 2005 @ 7:59 PM.

Watermelon

Watermelon

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2005 @ 11:57 PM

Wow. In that first pic she reminded me of Chilli from TLC only lighter.

I have to say that were I a designer, I would be much more drawn to the quiet composed girls than those with "personality or attitude". "Personality and attitude" shows up drunk/late, refuses to wear certain outfits and overshadows the clothing, whereas quiet composure (i.e. Naima) is always professional, treats the jobs like a job and always strives to make the clothing/line look good rather than herself.

While I can agree she's almost always professional Naima was 45 minutes late getting back from the go-see challenge.

emylou

emylou

Channel Surfer

Posted May 18, 2005 @ 12:31 AM

qtmcwhiskers, you are my hero for your Dark Crystal reference. :)

soma

soma

Video Archivist

Posted May 18, 2005 @ 11:41 AM

Maybe if there is any live action in the sequel to Dark Crystal, Niama could kick off her acting career.