Bleach

• Please log in to reply

7011 replies to this topic

Ryan227

Ryan227

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 17, 2006 @ 7:06 PM

Of course it was going to Viz. Viz is basically the the American arm of Shueisha, and from what I heard they have first dibs on all Shounen Jump properties. I was kind of hoping it would go to someone else but I knew it wouldn't. Now I wonder who's going to dub it? I really hope it goes to Adult swim. One thing that makes it seem like it will was in intereview in which the VP (or something...) of Cartoon Network said the Bleach seemed like it would be a better fit for Adult Swim then for Toonami, so that sounds good!

Edited by Ryan227, Mar 18, 2006 @ 2:19 AM.

ulquiorra

ulquiorra

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 17, 2006 @ 10:25 PM

Bleach has officially been licensed by Viz.

So does that mean they won't alter Ichigo's bankai blade from looking like a backwards swaztika? Because that sword would look pretty plain without the cool hilt design.

Just to be clear, I don't like the symbol because it resembles nazi paraphernalia, the design just makes the sword look neat.

Edited by ulquiorra, Mar 17, 2006 @ 10:28 PM.

ParasiteTwin

ParasiteTwin

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2006 @ 11:36 PM

Maybe they'll give it the Naruto anime treatment, like how Neji has an "X" instead of the Manji symbol on his forehead.

I really hope it goes to Adult swim. One thing that makes it seem like it will was in intereview in which the VP (or something...) of Cartoon Network said the Bleach seemed like it would be a better fit for Adult Swim then for Toonami, so that sounds good!

I managed to track down that article! I remembered reading that, too, a few days ago. I strongly agree that it should be an [as] show. It'd be a real good successor to Inuyasha and FMA, which are both coming to an end.

ulquiorra

ulquiorra

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 18, 2006 @ 3:22 PM

That makes sense, ParasiteTwin. They did the same thing with Ace's tatoo in One Piece. But I can't picture that looking as cool. Oh well, it's not a big deal, and he still has the cool duds.

Though it makes you consider how plain Ishida would look if this aired on four kids. That guy's coverd head to toe in crosses. Even his weapon's one.

Edited by ulquiorra, Mar 18, 2006 @ 3:31 PM.

ParasiteTwin

ParasiteTwin

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2006 @ 3:01 PM

Good news, everyone! Adult Swim is going to air Bleach this fall:

Adult Swim has locked in two representatives of the genre with Eureka Seven (out April 15) and Bleach (out fall 2006).

I only hope they don't screw around with the scheduling, as they are wont to doing. [as] has a short show summary on their announcements. Looks like Soul Reaper = Shinigami.

Edited by ParasiteTwin, Mar 30, 2006 @ 3:32 PM.

GirlieZot

GirlieZot

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 30, 2006 @ 6:36 PM

I would have liked them to use Death God instead since it sounds cooler.

Kilonji

Kilonji

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 30, 2006 @ 8:42 PM

I would have liked them to use Death God instead since it sounds cooler.

I agree. It sounds a lot like Dead Like Me, and that show was a completely different concept.

Anyway, has anyone found any info on the VA's? I'm dying of curiosity here.

Smeg

Smeg

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2006 @ 10:51 PM

I'm very excited about this! And I'm amazed at the estimated turnaround time. That's fast.

ParasiteTwin

ParasiteTwin

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2006 @ 11:53 PM

I'm really excited about this, too. It might be some time before news about the dubbing studio comes out ... or it might not since this news did come out super fast. But VAs I wouldn't mind hearing:

Vic Mignogna as Hitsugaya - Wishful thinking on my part since Romi Paku was Ed in FMA and is also Hitsugaya, but it would be a funny parallel.

Crispin Freeman as Byakuya - Because let's face it, Byakuya reminds everyone of Amon!

I have no idea who I'd like for the main cast though.

Orion7

Orion7

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2006 @ 2:42 PM

What do all of you like about this show? I know it has a lot of fans (from reading on other boards), but haven't read a lot of specifics. It was more OMG I LOVE THIS SHOW!!11!!, which isn't much to go on.

ParasiteTwin

ParasiteTwin

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2006 @ 3:39 PM

Here's a review that I think will shed some light on the enjoyable aspects of Bleach. Some things I personally like about it are:
  • How the main characters aren't total cliches. skyegazer mentioned this at the beginning of the thread and I wholeheartedly agree. Sometimes the main protagonists become unpopular over the course of a series, but I haven't felt that way about any of the ones in Bleach.

The second part of the series introduces even more characters. And the additional characters are just as great as the main ones. Even some of the villains are of the love to hate, but hate to love variety. It's a lot like Naruto and Fullmetal Alchemist, having a huge cast.

• The story is compelling and doesn't drag like other shows. Even the filler is really good.

• Kubo Tite's art style, which is unique and just plain awesome. While the anime never looks as highly detailed as the manga, something I really love that's in the anime are the wacky title frames - the graphics are always fascinating and cool.
Okay, I'll end my Bleach fangirlishness now. I'm glad that since this will be on Adult Swim, more people will have a chance to see it and discuss it here.

Orion7

Orion7

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2006 @ 3:52 PM

Thanks, ParasiteTwin. It's so nice to have people to do my anime research for me...
No, really it helps to hear about the new shows from people who I know like other shows I have liked.

I'll have to go back to that link and check out more of that magazine.

DumbBrunette

DumbBrunette

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2006 @ 9:44 PM

I'm looking forward to this show. I'm glad Adult Swim will be showing it, since with FMA done and InuYasha finally ending, I'm feeling strangely empty.

Edited by DumbBrunette, Apr 1, 2006 @ 9:45 PM.

Kilonji

Kilonji

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 15, 2006 @ 12:35 AM

It's about time this thread got a BUMP.

I read somewhere that it's been confirmed but not announced that we'll be seeing Bleach on [adult swim] sometime in September. My question is this: Will bad VA's be enough to run any of the fansub denizens off, or do you think they'll keep watching just to nit-pick the translation? I'm not saying they'll be bad, but part of me is really worried that if it isn't done right the show won't attract the audience it deserves. Especially if the subbers badmouth it.

ParasiteTwin

ParasiteTwin

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2006 @ 2:17 AM

A 70+ episode series deserves a great dub, so I'm optimistic that Bleach will get it. I don't think Viz would want to alienate new or fansub viewers alike. Since it'll be on [as], I hope that they'll air the 1st OP and that Ichigo won't sound like Randy Newman. (Okay, Sanji's dub voice has since grown on me but who can honestly imagine him sounding like that at first?)

Kilonji

Kilonji

Channel Surfer

Posted May 20, 2006 @ 11:52 PM

Good lord this thread needs a BUMP.

Now with that over with, has anyone been watching the fillers at all? I have, but they need to start getting somewhere before I get reeeeaaaallly bored. The last one was a filler ep within a filler arc. Frightening.

ParasiteTwin

ParasiteTwin

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2006 @ 12:20 AM

I thought episode 80 was cute, but I agree, this Bountou arc is coming along slowly. But I still think this filler is pretty good in comparison to Naruto nowadays.

As for the manga, Aizen's spying on Inoue? Interesting.

I don't know if this is confirmed or just speculation on their part, but Anime News Network has Studiopolis (they do the Naruto dub) listed for ADR Production.

Ryan227

Ryan227

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 21, 2006 @ 12:37 AM

I stopped watching it when the fillers started, and I havn't been keeping up with the manga lately either :/ But I'm looking foward to it being on Adult Swim this Fall. About the dub, some of the voice actors are on some Naruto Forums and they said that it would be done in LA, which makes me happy...

Marigold Futura

Marigold Futura

Video Archivist

Posted May 21, 2006 @ 4:06 AM

I was really hoping they would keep "Shinigami" for the dub. I know "Soul Reaper" is in the manga translation and all, but since they left all the jutsu names in Naruto, I was hopeful. Of course, if they would edit "God of Death" out of Gundam Wing, they wouldn't leave it in here.

I'm not really a fan of shounen-ai or anything, but it would be hilarious to see Ichigo's reactions when another boy makes advances towards him. He already gets so flustered with other girls that I think he would fall over and die from his embarrassment.

I'd love to see Ishida making advances toward him. Not that I'm really into that couple and read fanfic and cruise for fanart on it. Moi? Of course not.

It does tickle me that Ichigo's bedspread design resembles a Quincy cross, but it's been like that since the first episode. (It's fate!)

Edited by Marigold Futura, May 21, 2006 @ 4:13 AM.

nausicaa

nausicaa

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 28, 2006 @ 9:37 PM

I'm iffy on the filler arc. On the one hand, it could be worse, much worse. On the other hand, the new villains aren't terribly compelling- although I did enjoy the interactions between Ishida and Yoshino. TheirloveissodoomedandOedipal!

Ichinose gets on my nerves. Former Shinigami leaves his squad to protest Zaraki's bloodthirsty mob regime. Very noble. But what does he do afterwards? Becomes some threepenny vampire's (oh, excuse me, <i>Bountou's</i>) footstool. Good one, dumbass.

Marigold, Ishida would definitely be the one to initiate, yes. But Ichigo ain't no wilting wallflower, neither. He did, after all, order Renji to drop trou. Personally though, I'm fond of Ishida with Orihime. The seamstress boy with the mecha-loving Boobed One? Yes, oh yes.

Edited by nausicaa, May 28, 2006 @ 9:50 PM.

Marigold Futura

Marigold Futura

Video Archivist

Posted May 29, 2006 @ 12:26 AM

Personally though, I'm fond of Ishida with Orihime. The seamstress boy with the mecha-loving Boobed One? Yes, oh yes.

But Tatsuki/Orihime is SO CANON! (Even though I don't particularly care for shoujo-ai...or Magical Hairpin Fairy Boobs, for that matter.) I honestly thought they had a little sumpin'-sumpin' going on when I first stumbled into the series. (I also thought Tatsuki was a dude, but briefly.)

ParasiteTwin

ParasiteTwin

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2006 @ 12:12 PM

No love for the Ichigo/Chad pairing? They both share a love of tight shirts, LOL.

For any Card Captor Sakura fans: the Bleach/CCS OP. Really hilarious and well done.

Edited by ParasiteTwin, May 29, 2006 @ 12:17 PM.

GirlieZot

GirlieZot

Channel Surfer

Posted May 29, 2006 @ 12:31 PM

That was awesome!!! Very well done. I like how they changed bleach to release, heh. I think its funny how they made Li into a giant so he would be taller than sakura, like ichigo is to rukia.

blank stare

blank stare

Couch Potato

Posted May 31, 2006 @ 1:10 AM

No love for the Ichigo/Chad pairing?

There's got to be something there, especially after the I'll fight for your sake and you fight for mine pact they made.

ParasiteTwin

ParasiteTwin

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2006 @ 2:56 PM

OMG. Episode 82 defies conventional logic by being an awesome filler episode: Besides bringing back the silly "Justice" helmet (nice continuity), we got Hollow Ichigo! Silly me, I kept trying to predict who would show up to save the day: Yoruichi, Hitsugaya ... heck, maybe even Byakuya or Ukitake. I also kept wondering why they weren't playing "Number One" (aka Ichigo's Resolve Theme) and I guess that's why: "Hichigo" showed up instead.

ETA: This begs the question, will anyone yell "bankai" while using the remote? Bleach on Nintendo Wii teaser site.

Edited by ParasiteTwin, Jun 7, 2006 @ 12:35 PM.

darkguardian

darkguardian

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2006 @ 12:06 AM

The Nintendo DS game was created by Treasure, creators of Astro Boy for GBA, Gunstar Heroes for Genesis and Guardian Heroes for Saturn among other fantastic games, so between that and wi-fi online support, it sounds great.

Treasure also developed if memory serves, the incredible Tobal 1 and 2 (released of course by Squaresoft) which IMO is one of the greatest fighting games ever made (well Tobal 2 was anyways). So if they are involved I am very optimistic.

As for the show itself its probably one of the best anime's of this type that I have seen. Even the filler stuff now is nowhere near as bad as Naruto's filler. The show is also very very funny. The only character I dislike (mostly cause he isn't a bad guy like Aizen and yet is in some ways just as sadistic) is the captain who took Urahara's place. The Kabuki mask kinda guy. most of the captains and their seconds I like, especially because there is so much yet we have not seen. We barely got to even see Ukitake, Old Man Yama and the napping samurai guy fight. Not to mention alot of the seconds have barely been covered. There is alot of relationship stuff to be explored as well so it seems like once the Aizen arc resumes (presumably this would be in December? Since they say it takes a year for the sphere to "mature"). Anyways the filler so far has been interesting though nowhere near as engrossing as the Soul Society Arc, but considering how bad filler can be, I'm counting my blessings. I think its gonna be a big hit for AS.

The animation quality I think its actually quite good. Kinda. If you pay attention you will notice about halfway through the Soul Society arc the animation quality improved gradually. Once the manga connected arc ended and they went to filler the animation quality dropped. The biggest indicator is when they cut back to the Soul Society, Hatsugya and his second look pretty terrible compared to how they looked during the arc episodes.

While being on AS is good in the sense that it gives the show a big audience, I am too much of a purist, I can't stand dubs and 90% of the voice acting for dubs makes me grind my teeth. Not to mention translation wierdness. So I probably won't watch it as its shown here, rather I'll stick to fansubs if I can find them. Unfortunately the guys who did such a great job already stopped fansubbing it once the official announcement of acquisition was made. But you can always find decent fansubs anyways, even if its not the best.

Edited by darkguardian, Jun 21, 2006 @ 12:13 AM.

Pat Agonia

Pat Agonia

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2006 @ 4:03 AM

Treasure also developed if memory serves, the incredible Tobal 1 and 2 (released of course by Squaresoft) which IMO is one of the greatest fighting games ever made (well Tobal 2 was anyways). So if they are involved I am very optimistic.

Actually Dream Factory was behind the Tobal games. (The 2nd one by many accounts kicked all kinds of ass but unfortunately never made it over.) Akira Toriyama worked on the designs though.

One other Shonen Jump property I just remembered Treasure worked on: Yu Yu Hakusho for the Genesis/Mega Drive, which only came out in Japan, and like other scarce Treasure games, goes for over $100 on eBay. Maybe it'll turn up on the Virtual Console if licensing isn't an issue.

So is Bleach going to be a non-union dub?

ParasiteTwin

ParasiteTwin

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2006 @ 5:55 AM

So is Bleach going to be a non-union dub?

That's what the folks at the Bleach7 site say. They also mention that Kate Higgins (Sakura on Naruto) has gotten a part. According to Anime News Network, she's voicing Karin.

As seen on a recent bump, we have finally have a proposed [adult swim] premiere date: September 9th!

Edited by ParasiteTwin, Jun 21, 2006 @ 6:13 AM.

darkguardian

darkguardian

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2006 @ 11:55 AM

Yea it was Dream Factory that did the Tobal games (I think Dream Factory split up after and became some other developing company), I dug out my PS this morning to check, cause I was a bit hazy on it. Its a absolute travesty that Tobal 2 was never released here, any of you who know where to find that kind of stuff, there is an english translation image file of the game, definitely worth tracking down if you can find it. I will warn that the game can be frustrating cause its very deep and pretty challenging. The translation while somewhat helpful for the fighting game, is best for the incredible and awesome quest mode of the game. Anyways, back to Bleach.

Treasure did do Guardian Heroes though, which is a game I absolutely loved. Based on the games they have developed I have to wonder if its going to be a straight fighting game at all. Might it perhaps be a game like Guardian Heroes? All I've seen so far as Ichigo with Soul Slayer with the Bleach name and the Wii logo.

September 9th is pretty soon, it will be interesting to see how popular Bleach becomes because I like it quite a bit more than Naruto.

The Real Nemo

The Real Nemo

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2006 @ 6:30 PM

Recent great dubbing jobs like Naruto and Fullmetal Alchemist have given me confidence that this one will be good as well.