Bleach

• Please log in to reply

7011 replies to this topic

ParasiteTwin

ParasiteTwin

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2005 @ 12:17 AM

Based upon the highly popular manga series in Japan, this anime is one of the best I've seen. So I thought I'd start the thread for it.

Quick synopsis: The protagonist is Ichigo, a surly teenager with orange hair, hence the title. He always tries to keep up his cool, tough guy persona, but he's really an intelligent and caring guy underneath. An interesting ability that makes him different from most: he can see ghosts.

One night, he comes across a ghost who is being pursued by a "hollow" (a ghost that has turned malignant and seeks out humans with high spritual power to devour their souls.) The hollow ends up being attracted to Ichigo's enormous amount of spirit power and stirs up trouble in his neighborhood, even trying to kill his sisters. Enter Rukia, a Shinigami (death god), that sends wandering ghosts to the afterlife (Soul Society). The Shinigami also defeat the hollows, but in order to purify their souls. Upon getting beaten badly by the hollow, Rukia transfers some of her power to Ichigo and thus starts the Bleach saga.

I discovered this series through a Naruto site. It still cracks me up that they cast the guy who does Sasuke's voice for Ishida. Same brooding personality = same voice, I guess. And while Ichigo is also a fair haired teen with an abnormal amount of power like Naruto, Ichigo is really in a class of his own. Something about his cockiness and bluntness is just highly entertaining.

skyegazer

skyegazer

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2005 @ 8:41 AM

Only 18 episodes and already a topic. Isn't that a little early for an anime? Never mind. Can you share that link for the epsiode downloads? unless it's Bittorrent, then never mind.

Well, this is my fav managa, but not my fav anime yet (still GetBackers). Since I didn't really fall for this title till the 2nd arc, wich they haven't reached yet. But other then that, I did like Ishida's first aperence and the Renji Ichigo fight.

And the creators of the anime know exacly what the fans wanna see, Heh. Why else did they create that Shingami with the hat and are constanly showing previews of the Shingami captains. They're just wetting are whistles untill the show goes from contemporary Inuyasha to Kenshin on steriods. Not that I didn't like the Ghost-of-the-week story lines, I just liked the other stuff alot more.

I agree about Ichigo being better then the average shonene hero. He's definetly more popular. One of the things I like about him is he actually has friends. Why is it every shonen character is almost completley alone till they meet thier sidekicks or raivals? they're suppose to be average kids, but Ichigo has tons of friends and all of 'em are actually intresting, not just the super powerd one. Though, I wish they'd give that cute girl Ryou, more scenes. She was really funny when she started chasing after Kon and it was even more funny when Chad started runing with her, both of them with stright faces and not at all weirded out by a walking toy Bear.

Also, I think that asshole Byakuya is the ghost of Amon from Witch Hunter Robin. J/K take those curlers outta his hair and the resemblence is uncanny.

ParasiteTwin

ParasiteTwin

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2005 @ 12:34 PM

Urahara (Sandal Hat) is a cool character. They haven't told any of his backstory yet, but I suspect that he was a shinigami that did something to be sentenced to death (which could be why he knew about the 30 day execution thing) and that Yoruichi (cat girl) rescued him and they both became vigilantes.

I just love Ichigo. He's such a badass. The weird thing about Ichigo is the stronger the person he fights, the stronger he becomes afterwards. He's probably got enough power to supply Las Vegas and then some.

It's rare when I find myself liking all the characters in a show, no one is really annoying. Except maybe for Ichigo's pervy dad, but it's funny. Everybody's got their little quirks and personalities. Such as Ishida and his handicrafts skills, hee.

I recommend this site for all things Bleach since the other one I relied on is now defunct. (It's Bittorrent, though.) They have a spread the Bleach mission statement/campaign, which I think is a good thing because I know I've run across some others who are trying to monopolize sharing the manga and whatnot.

Edited by ParasiteTwin, Mar 25, 2007 @ 10:55 AM.

skyegazer

skyegazer

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2005 @ 1:14 PM

I'm actually registerd there already. Thanks anway, though. I've only seen the first 2 eps, sicne I can't add Bittorent and only the Real Player downloads seem to work. But the artwork was kinda..I dunno, it just loked very rushed. But I saw later screen caps and the animation looks better.

Urahara's OK. He's not really my fav, though. I prefer Ishida, Tatsuki, Renji, Hisagi and Histugaya, in that order, but I think youre right about Urahura. It's funny that the character droped so many hints about being a Shingami and most people weren't aware to they actually showd him in a black Kimono. It's like the whole Gin speculation of course he's evil.

I like that on first glance the characters seem like cliches Chad; the big, dumb thug. Ishida; the cool and mysterious rival character you see in every shonen series. Only Chad's actually smart and a real softie and Ishida's a huge dork. Ichigo's also alot more layed back then youre Naruto or Yusuke's, and thankfully he not constantly trash talking or throwing around insults and he actually really cares about his family and friends, and sin't fighting to be "recognized" or some crap.

The only characters are sorta dislike, are Byakuya and Zaraki. I can't stand arrogant characters like Byakuya who are always getting thier asses kissed (plus, he dosen't have much of a personality). and Zaraki needs to tone down the ego as well. All he dose is boast, and If he's the strongest then why'd Ichigo have to train so hard to beat Byakuya. I just love the fact that, for all of Zaraki's braging, I bet Byakuya the old man, and those long haired guys can wipe the floor with him.

Ryan227

Ryan227

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 5, 2005 @ 12:19 PM

Wow this thread is dead. I forget where the anime was at then but still... Zaraki had physical and spiritual power. I think at the time Ichigo was fighting him he had the same type of power as Zaraki. I don't care much for Byakura either but you just know he has to have some sad back story because he' too pretty not to :P

Anyway I love this show so much. I never even bothered to watch Naruto but something about this just makes me love it so much. The characters are great, expecially in the soul society arc. I really like most of the captains (exept for like Mayuri and a couple of the boring ones). But I did lose intrest a couple of times during the really long fights. Some of my favorite episodes are the backround story episodes, because I am really interested in the characters.

ParasiteTwin

ParasiteTwin

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2005 @ 5:33 PM

Ishida's a huge dork.

I saw this hilarious desktop wallpaper that had a picture of him and the words "Sewing Superstar."

Some of my favorite episodes are the background story episodes, because I am really interested in the characters.

The flashback where Ichigo saved Chad from those thugs is my favorite. I loved when Ichigo was sizing up the punks and called 911 saying they'd need 5 ambulances.

I did lose interest a couple of times during the really long fights.

Me too. Some Shinigami talk waaaayyy too much. Especially the very first guy Ishida fought.

The current manga chapters have some very interesting developments, which I can't wait to see happen in the anime.

Dariendude15

Dariendude15

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 5, 2005 @ 7:24 PM

I was toying with the idea of starting a BLEACH forum myself, but as always, somebody is way ahead of me. I love this series. Anybody wanna guess how long til it gets licenced? Or is it already? Anyway, I like how Ishida is the stereotype cool-calm-collected-guy-on-a-mission. Right up until he starts trying too hard to seem cool. Or until he breaks out the needle-n-thread. And how bout that Ichigo? For the record, I don't think the show is called BLEACH because of Ichigos hair. He has said mutliple times that it's naturally orange. But then again, why else would it be called that? The only character I can't stand is the dad. I mean it's one thing to be a skirt chaser. But this guy is a total child-molesting-incest-loving-freak-job!!! It's absolutely sick the way he's always hitting on HIS OWN ELEVEN-YEAR-OLD DAUGHTERS! UGH!!!!! I think this show is prime Toonami material. Seriousely. I don't think it deserves to be broadcast at midnight alongside Inuyasha. A snip-snip here and and an edit-edit there, and you got yourself a fine DBZ replacement.

Ryan227

Ryan227

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 5, 2005 @ 9:32 PM

I wanted to like Ishida but I can't, sure he's pretty funny and cool sometimes but other times he's just plain boring. I was thinking about why the show was called Bleach the other day and I'm also pretty sure it's because of Ichigo's hair, everyone thinks its bleached but it's not. The dad drives me crazy sometimes too but... I think there's waaay more to him. I'm pretty sure the goofy thing is all an act, he cares for his daughters but I don't think he wants to do them or anything. Yeah this doesn't really need to be in spoiler tags but still. Yeah there's lots of stuff in the manga that I can't wait to see animated but I'm really worried about how fast the anime is catching up to the manga. This arc seems like it will be over soon In the manga the next arc has hardly even begun. So far all we know is the basics, the bad guys the situation all that but I really can't see them animating this stuff so close to the manga. So what now? All filler?

I think Bleach should be on Adult Swim, I'd say it's more violent and bloody then Inuyasha. Then again I've never seen Naruto and that's on Toonami so I really don't know how violent that gets. Oh and then there's the fact that no one dies ever (well almost ever). Sometimes I really wish there was a block for anime that wasn't Toonami or Adult Swim. I could really see Bleach getting a good teenage audience.

skyegazer

skyegazer

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 6, 2005 @ 11:50 AM

I just find Ishida cool in a dorky way. Actually, I think he's at his best when he's being a spaz and I'm glad there is at least one human that doesn't follow the DBZ steryotpe of being a completley worthless pushover. And even though I'm not normally a "shipper," I sorta like the idea of Ishida being with either Inoue or Mayruri's daughter, Nemu.

The current manga chapters have some very interesting developments, which I can't wait to see happen in the anime.

Same here. But, I just wish that one woman would go away. Yes, Matsumoto we see your breats, i fact we can always see them. Now how about they develop her personality more. I mean, I know she's their for some teary-eyed Gin confrontation, but she's coming across as one note character with the blatant fan service.

Does anyone else find Chad incredibley useless? Don't get me wrong, I like the character, but for all his lifting phone polls out of the ground and taking steal beams to the back, he's surprisingly kind of a wimp. Since he's came to Soul Society all he's done is get his ass kicked. He barely interacted with the others and the only character development we got was that he's Ichigo's bestest friend and he likes to help people. But we knew from the first flashbacks he had. So it's as if him coming along had no impact on his character or the story.

Then back on earth, the poor guy gets his asskicked by someone who by all acounts is the weakest villian of the arc. *sigh* The Yamcha-ficaton of Chad conitnues.

Ryan227

Ryan227

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 6, 2005 @ 3:10 PM

Aw I like Matsumoto usually I don't like fanservice characters but there really is more to her, she's funny and I'm a huge fan of her and Gin and I'm not usually a shipper either. I mean how Gin acted towards her when he was leaving, I honestly think that's the first time Gin's ever said something without smiling, he was really serious. That made me curious, I hope he gets a really good back story all we've seen so far is him and her from her point of view, there's something more to him of course, like a reason he did what he did or something I don't know. But sure she is pretty usless in the current arc so far but at least that means Hitsugaya comes along. Hitsugaya is my second favorite captain, my first is Ukitake but I don't think he'll be coming to earth anytime soon I can always hope though.

skyegazer

skyegazer

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 7, 2005 @ 4:46 PM

Alot of people seem to think Gin's really a good guy deep down, but I just can't see it. He seems like a sociopath to me. The guy just gets to much pleasure out of screwing people over for me to belive he's anything but evil. I mean, I can see Tousen as a sort of moraly ambiguous character, who learns from his mistakes and becomes good again, like Anji from Kenshin. But with Gin, when he had his goodbye scene he seemd pretty nonchalaunt, IMO and I interpreted that scene as him basically saying "well, this was fun but I goota go." I can't really see him caring about Aizen, Rangiku or anything. I just have this weird feeling that he'll kill Matsumoto after she gives him some heart felt plea or something. But I think it'll be easier to get a handle on that scene when we hear his voice in the anime.

Although, to be fair. I also thought Byakuya was a heartless bastard, so what do I know.

Yeah, I like the midget too. Something about ice powers I guess.

Man, how awesome are Ukitake and Shunsui? I'd kill to see the fight they had with the old man. It seems like those two are the strongest subordinates Yamamoto has left. But you just know Urahara and Ishhin are on the same level if not better. But what sucks is they're all so strong, I doubt most of them will have a fight that lasts more then a few pages.

So many black bars.

Edited by skyegazer, Oct 7, 2005 @ 4:49 PM.

Death of Rats

Death of Rats

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 20, 2005 @ 10:27 PM

First, I have to say: C'mon, guys! We could've at least named the forum "Bleach: I see dead people." Especially since I'm pretty sure Ichigo's actually said that at some point in the series. Or maybe "Bleach: I kick dead people's asses."

Anyway, agree that Kyouraku and Ukitake are the most awesomest ones. Granted, it's prob'ly because Kyouraku and I have a lot in common (we're both random and like nothing more than napping), and also, I totally ship the pairing. I also like Zaraki, tho; he's all "I'm a big tough shinigami" but is pretty much Yachiru-whipped. Yes, he is secretly a big woobie papa bear!

Also, a fanfic recommendation: Bleach Drabbles A collection of random short stories that has everything from angst to psychotic comedy. Zaraki getting addicted to Naruto is particularly hilarious. Has slash, gen, het, something for everyone. As an added bonus, the author puts up a new chapter almost every day "__"

skyegazer

skyegazer

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 18, 2005 @ 10:17 PM

Just thought I'd share this with all those like me who don't have bittorent or the like to watch downloads. Episode 58 BANKAI! This is probably my most anticipated episode since Renji's bankai or Ishida vs Mayuri.

I actually got used to Ichigo's newer version of that outfit, so seeing the old higher cut one with all the bandages seems odd now. Still, I gotta say it's a great fight. It's cool that theres a cartoon with great swordfights that actually last longer than a minute *kicks Peace Maker DVD's* Now I have something to watch other than Clone Wars and Samurai Jack reruns.

erendis

erendis

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 20, 2005 @ 2:14 PM

The first few episodes of the anime really sucked in comparison to the manga, I thought, since something about the art was just lost in translation - as opposed to Naruto, where the anime art seemed fairly consistent with the manga. But then it grew on me, corny music and all.

My only quibble (spoiler for those of you only watching the anime) is that every Tom, Dick and Harry seems to have reached Bankai now. C'mon, Ikkaku?

Ryan227

Ryan227

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 20, 2005 @ 2:36 PM

I love Peace Maker, I actually like shorter fights that don't take forever to finish...

Anyway, I like Ichigo's bankai outfit, the top kind of looks like Zengatsu's(SP) outfit and wonder if that's on purpose. I watched the anime first so that might effect my opinion of it but I thought they did a really good job animating the manga from the very beginning. The art in an anime is never going to be as nice as the art in a manga, in Bleach the art is pretty detailed and to they had so simplify it for the anime and I thought they did a good job of doing that.

As for the manga I havn't read the more recent chapters but I don't mind Ikkaku getting his bankai. I mean for all we know he could be strong enough to be a vice captain and if Renji could get his why not Ikkaku? He could have been training for it just as long as Renji.

skyegazer

skyegazer

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 22, 2005 @ 3:30 PM

Well, personally I can't say I care for the way Ikkaku and Yumichika -who never held much intrest for me outside thier first battles- are getting even more attention over other characters who were never really givin the chance to shine, like Hisagi, the fat guy, "Aerol Flynn" or Nemu or even half of the main characters. But Ikkaku's fight's been so damn boring, I'm willing to except his Bankai if it'll make things more intresting. Just as long as the characters killed off or disapers from the spotlight, because it feels like we've seen so much of the 11th division already. Bring on Rukia's brother or any of the badass older captains, I say.

manticoraus

manticoraus

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 23, 2005 @ 3:38 AM

No..please don't tell me

not another tournament to clear a crime/qualify to do shit better accessed with a written or on the job eval/ some ludicrous power move to seize the special organization that runs the world!

manticoraus

manticoraus

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 26, 2005 @ 3:05 AM

Caught up... all the way.

I would honestly have to say if Rukia doesn't at least reclaim her spine if not some semblance of power I'm going to HATE this show.

I prefer the Hollows and the number of dramatic potential them and the family story could give us as to selfcontradictory anachronistic soap opera in the afterlife. Or as the Zanpaito Turns.

Favorite character Ganju, though his showing to BK means all the fights will be illogical chest thumps from now on.

Gin, could you scream how you're a red herring ANY louder. No, really, lets use Uryuu's deductive logic. What has Gin done, precisely that is off. Aside from looking smug, on which point can we kill ALL the upper Squad management, and talking big. He did try to kill a subordinate just to win a duel, no debate on his general scummy character.

I heard Captain 1 (its always a Yamamoto, the sheer point of the rank general is to have a Yamamoto in it, if there is a general in anime with no Yamamoto tie detact yourself, its a tragedy) being compared to Kejak Cheop (Exalted ref.). I get that now.

And finally, Steve Wonder- Super Samurai Black. I do like that some of the captains are not total tools. I can totally buy them just going with the flow on the execution and they treated the 'ryoka' pretty evenly, all things considerred.
This arc however been hell to base assumptions. "Never seen a soul collector that big" Rukia well unless its been released or acheived bankai but let's forget that.

I do like that despite my initial misgivings and dislike Don K'onji turned out to not be a fraud. He's a little zany and off the wall... okay alot. And he's not all that on the ball but he seems to genuinely care about the well being of others. And before the Save Rukia arc wasn't 'that' off, now he's beyond pathetic. To his credit he's the only guy aside from Uryuu who doesn't derive his powers from the carrot topped plot device that is Ichigo.

Bankai= Neo meets Versus.

Edited by manticoraus, Nov 26, 2005 @ 3:06 AM.

ParasiteTwin

ParasiteTwin

Fanatic

Posted Dec 18, 2005 @ 1:13 AM

I hate how we don't see exactly how Matsumoto defeats Kira. (I have to admit, I always forget that guy's name. My friend and I always call him "Flock of Seagulls" because of his hair.) It's just Ash Cat, cut to something else, he's beat.

As for the manga, I wonder if Chad is somehow linked to the cracked mask Hollows. I'm not saying that Chad is evil, but it's just that they've got some glaring similarities: 1) they speak Spanish, and 2) they have body type weapons, not swords.

Kilonji

Kilonji

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 18, 2005 @ 8:31 AM

I hate how we don't see exactly how Matsumoto defeats Kira. (I have to admit, I always forget that guy's name. My friend and I always call him "Flock of Seagulls" because of his hair.) It's just Ash Cat, cut to something else, he's beat.

I'm with you there. But I think we're about to find out. Did you notice in the most recent manga chapter while that Arrancar is gloating over Hitsuguya, Matsumoto is actually awake? If we don't get to see her kick all forms of ass in the next chapter I'll be seriously suprised.

deadpill

deadpill

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2006 @ 4:39 PM

I seriously watch this show for one reason: KEIGO ASANO!!!! He and Azumanga's Tomo need to go on a date.

Dariendude15

Dariendude15

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2006 @ 8:17 PM

Let me pose this question: If and when they lisence this show, who do you think would make a better Ichigo? The american voice of Inuyasha or Yuske Yurameshi? I vote Yuske. That of course is assuming that the choice is between those two voices.

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted Feb 22, 2006 @ 10:45 PM

I'm a huge fan of Clorox, but has anyone tried Clorox 2? That stuff gets colors brighter! Brighter!

*Chuckle*

Okay, on topic (and bad jokes aside). I've never seen the show, don't even know what channel it appears on, but has anyone seen the game coming out of the Nintendo DS? I've seen screenshots, and it doesn't look half bad.

Edited by Stinger97, Feb 23, 2006 @ 7:14 AM.

Pat Agonia

Pat Agonia

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2006 @ 12:28 AM

The Nintendo DS game was created by Treasure, creators of Astro Boy for GBA, Gunstar Heroes for Genesis and Guardian Heroes for Saturn among other fantastic games, so between that and wi-fi online support, it sounds great.

Let me pose this question: If and when they lisence this show, who do you think would make a better Ichigo? The american voice of Inuyasha or Yuske Yurameshi? I vote Yuske. That of course is assuming that the choice is between those two voices.

I think that would depend on the recording studio/group used.

ParasiteTwin

ParasiteTwin

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2006 @ 4:08 AM

I'm conflicted when it comes to Bleach getting licensed, but I would love for that game to be released here in English.

I'm enjoying the anime filler so far. What's not to love about Rukia's early return and more Ukitake scenes?

Edit: There's some current buzz about the Bleach anime being acquired by Viz Media. Since Viz already has the manga, I'm not too surprised, but there hasn't been an official announcement yet.

Edited by ParasiteTwin, Mar 10, 2006 @ 2:50 PM.

ParasiteTwin

ParasiteTwin

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2006 @ 10:45 PM

Bump. Bleach has officially been licensed by Viz. Here's the press release.

Dariendude15

Dariendude15

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 4:58 PM

Let me be the first to say YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

I am SO glad 4Kid$ didn't get it's grubby hands on this one. I thought for sure that VIZ would be strapped for cash after liscencing Naruto to the tune of $600,000 per episode for the first 52. This show alongside Naruto is gonna rock Toonami. Yeah you heard me, TOONAMI. Just like Naruto, this show does not belong on Adult Swim. There may be a (helluva) lot of blood in it, but nothing really adult. My suspicion is that they may be able to cheat with the blood so they don't have to edit out too much of it. They could make Hollow blood green or yellow, and they could make spirit-world blood blue. Now let's see... Last year, it took Naruto from February to September to primier, so we should be seeing this puppy in English by at least November. Start your clocks.

deadpill

deadpill

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 11:25 PM

Hmm, I don't think it should be on Toonami. There are a lot of dark elements in the show, even if they press the "reset" button a lot.

Kilonji

Kilonji

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 11:31 PM

Hmm, I don't think it should be on Toonami. There are a lot of dark elements in the show, even if they press the "reset" button a lot.

I'm in complete agreement here. I know it's unlikely this won't be edited all to hell, but damn, someone has to stick up for Chizuru and the hilarious lesbionic outbursts. They definitely wouldn't play on Toonami, but maybe we'd get to see them on AS.

deadpill

deadpill

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2006 @ 2:55 PM

There's also the really disturbing story concerning Ichigo's mother. I'm 19-years-old and I still got nightmares from that story, granted I love my mama. And, don't even get me started of psychological rapings of Sousuke Aizen.

And, they could edit the blood if there wasn't so damn much of it. And, they're not even buckets of blood, they're more like explosions of blood.

There's also two more things I'd like to see in this show. They need to have more episodes featuring Ichigo's twin sisters, Ururu, Jinta, and Don Kanoji, as well as Kon. Those two episodes where they act as Super Sentai were my two favorite episodes in Bleach. Absolutely, ingenius. Also, they need a gay love interest for Ichigo. I'm not really a fan of shounen-ai or anything, but it would be hilarious to see Ichigo's reactions when another boy makes advances towards him. He already gets so flustered with other girls that I think he would fall over and die from his embarrassment.

ETA: I hope I didn't sound assy by wanting a gay love interest for comical reasons. I just meant that seeing how Chizuru's interactions with Orihime are hilarious (and surprisingly poignant at times), I think it would be funny for Ichigo as well.

Edited by deadpill, Mar 17, 2006 @ 2:58 PM.