Mary Tyler Moore: I Think She Made It After All

• Please log in to reply

1316 replies to this topic

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 3:41 PM

"whatever happened to...". I want to know that Murray went on to a great job somewhere and is very happy!!

In an extra on one of the DVD's, Gavin MacLeod said that Murray retired and he and Marie spent a lot of time cruising on Princess Cruise Lines. :)

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 4:20 PM

LMAO, vera charles!!! That's great!!

I also have a tendency to "mesh" characters played by the same actors throughout the years. Sometimes I can totally talk myself into believing that the character had one career/family in his or her youth, then changed into another in middle age...

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 4:20 PM

LMAO, vera charles!!! That's great!!

I also have a tendency to "mesh" characters played by the same actors throughout the years. Sometimes I can totally talk myself into believing that the character had one career/family in his or her youth, then changed into another in middle age...

Albanyguy

Albanyguy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 4:46 PM

Yesterday, Hallmark ran one of my favorite episodes, "The Dinner Party". Veal Prince Orloff! Baked Pears Alicia! Fonzie sitting at the little table by the window!

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 5:35 PM

Yesterday, Hallmark ran one of my favorite episodes, "The Dinner Party". Veal Prince Orloff! Baked Pears Alicia! Fonzie sitting at the little table by the window!

That's one of my favorites too. "Mr. Grant, there are six servings of Vean Prince Orloff, just six! You took half! Three people aren't going to have any dinner! You're going to have to put some back!"

Edited by bobbyhill, Apr 21, 2012 @ 5:38 PM.

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 7:52 AM

According to The New York Post, Valerie's writing a book:

Valerie Harper, meanwhile, has inked a deal with Gallery Books (an imprint of Simon & Schuster) to write a memoir about her days playing Rhoda Morgenstern on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" and its spinoff, "Rhoda."

In "I Rhoda Book" (clever title), scheduled to be published next January, Harper also promises to talk about the pressures of starring in her NBC sitcom, "Valerie" (co-starring a very young Michael Bateman) -- which morphed into "The Hogan Family" (starring Sandy Duncan) after Harper was booted off the show following its second season after getting into a dispute with the producers. She's also going to reminisce about working with TV legends including Lucille Ball and Jackie Gleason and, of course, Mary Tyler Moore.

Edited by HyeChaps, Apr 25, 2012 @ 7:54 AM.

catzy

catzy

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 7:16 PM

Don't they mean Jason Bateman, not Michael?

Maverick

Maverick

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 4:39 PM

Has anyone else noticed how much Hallmark has sped up the episodes? It's most noticable during the opening theme, but you can tell during certain scenes of the show too. I've noticed this on other shows as well. The stations airing classic shows already run the closing credits over the show and cut scenes, now they're speeding them up to the point of being noticable. It's hardly worth watching anymore, no matter how good the shows are.

rubaco

rubaco

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 5:10 PM

I did notice that as well - like you said, especially during the theme song. But also when Rhoda was speaking at times. It's not a new phenomenon (though maybe it is on Hallmark Channel). I've noticed it to the point of distraction on other shows that I know like the back of my hand (such as "Friends" when it airs on Nick), which includes knowing the rhythm of the dialogue. Stations will do whatever it takes to get more commercials in.

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 1:00 AM

I noticed that, too. I figured it was a glitch in the tape or something. If that's Hallmark's hatchet editing job, they are getting worse cutting words out of the actor's mouths. Hallmark doesn't bother with doing a good job anymore, apparently. Then why bother showing these vintage shows?

I watched part of the marathon this morning and later in the afternoon. Some of the episodes I saw were depressing: Lou visits his wife and finds out she doesn't want to get back with him, Georgette finds out Ted's cheating on her. There was a boring episode in between. I can't remember if it was the A story or the B story. Murray's daughter gets a job working in the newsroom. Another episode was just so-so was when Phyllis wants Ted to run for public office.

I thought this weekend was going to be a collection of MTM show's classic fan favorites. Maybe the episodes they ran are someone's faves. I'm just saying that I expected to see the top 20 and was a little disappointed.

blaase

blaase

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 4:34 PM

Well I definitely enjoyed that Marathan on saturday, Hallmark ought to do that more often instead of showing a bunch of awful tv movies or goldengirls/frasier for the millionth time.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 5:00 PM

I've never seen the appeal of Frasier. MTM always delivers and remains funny, all these years later.

Sarcastico

Sarcastico

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 8:39 PM

I made a point to save my cooking & cleaning for Saturday, so I could have the tv on in the background. This is my idea of a fun holiday weekend. But the weather has been terrible in the NY area all week and all weekend, so it worked out.

It was good to see a few eps I love and haven't seen for ages, especially Lou's blind date with the old lady; Veal Prince Orloff in the Oven Too Long ("He dies!"); and the creative writing class ("Six brand new baby horses"). This was one ep where I really noticed the editing; I could swear that Mary's speech to Ted in front of the class ("Look at me, Ted") went on for much longer. Maybe I'm wrong. It's one of my all-time faves and it's been centuries since I saw it, so maybe I'm misremembering it.

I did see one I never saw before -- the singles bar, where they do a live feature from a singles bar and inadvertently empty out the joint. Among the barflies were Penny Marshall, who looked about 18, and Arlene Golonka, and the inevitable Dick Schaal.

Somebody said a few pages ago that they were up to the last couple of seasons on DVD, and that there was way too much Ted Baxter. I couldn't agree more. This marathon seemed to end somewhere in season 5, (perhaps 6?) and there's already way too much of him. And every time there was a knock on Mary's door, it was Ted. Phyllis and Rhoda I could understand, as they were in the building, but couldn't he use the telephone once in a while?

Edited by Sarcastico, May 27, 2012 @ 9:23 PM.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 9:41 PM

I thought this weekend was going to be a collection of MTM show's classic fan favorites.

This marathon seemed to end somewhere in season 5, (perhaps 6?)

The marathon was Season 4, in order, start to finish.

DedicatedFan

DedicatedFan

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2012 @ 9:07 PM

Lou's blind date with the old lady

That was Mrs. Dudley, played by Florence Lake. That episode originally aired on November 3, 1973. Florence was born on November 27, 1904, so she was going on 69 at the time. She said that she had been Thomas Alva Edison's flower girl. TAE married in 1871 and 1886. If she was the flower girl at his second wedding and was 3 years old at the time, she would have been 92 when the episode first aired.

Someone said that contacts are so important when getting a news job. Not for Mary - she applied for the job from a newspaper ad. And the job she applied for was secretary, but Mr. Grant told her that that job was filled already. So how come I never remember seeing a secretary there? And why did Mary have to get coffee for Mr. Grant and order supplies? Why didn't the secretary do it?

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2012 @ 6:12 AM

Last night, my 19-year-old son was watching pre-season football coverage and they were talking about all of the cuts the teams have to make right now. Son commented on how terrible that would be, to get called to the coach's office and be told, "Bring your playbook". So, of course, I immediately flashed to Keep Your Guard Up which might be my favorite episode of the entire series. So I pulled out the season 1 DVD and made him watch it.

One very funny bit comes right at the beginning of the episode. Lou tells Mary to locate a camera crew that is covering a riot at the local prison. Mary calls the prison and asks for the warden's office.
Mary: Hello, prison? Would you give me the warden's office, please?...Yes, can you tell me where the riot is today?...Oh, well, um, as you were taking over the warden's office, did you happen to notice a WJM-TV camera crew?...(click)... Hello???

The part about turning in the playbook comes when Frank Carelli, a former pro football player who has been traded to various teams and eventually cut by the Vikings, tries to get Mary to help him audition for a sportcaster job at WJM and gives her a cassette tape of his autobiography that he's working on. Mary and Rhoda feel so bad for him, they spend the rest of the episode helping him turn his life around.

This is the same episode that contains the answer to this Jeopardy question: Before he was Chief Justice of the US Supreme Court, he led the NFL in rushing. Who is Byron "Whizzer" White? When Frank is naming former NFL stars who have great jobs, he mentions Frank Gifford, Jim Brown and the one he terms 'the least liking to ever get fired', Whizzer White.

In spite of all the outmoded technology -- typewriters, film, cassette tapes -- Rhoda's hair in rollers and the crazy 70's clothes, the humor still holds up. My son was laughing out loud at most of it. And when Mary pulled the stained glass up to open the kitchen, he said, "Oh, cool" and rewound to see her do it again.

Interestingly, Ted did not appear in this episode. There was a reference made to him being on-air in the studio and someone rushed some copy to him, but he was not shown at all.

Edited by vera charles, Sep 1, 2012 @ 6:38 AM.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Sep 1, 2012 @ 10:43 AM

I always thought Frank would have been a good guy for Rhoda. He liked bigger girls, so she could drop her dieting and he seemed like the kind of guy who would treat a woman like a queen. I love that episode because Frank is just so endearing.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2012 @ 5:50 AM

I thought that, too, CrumbyButtons, but Frank said he went for "big broads, zaftig, ya know?" Rhoda may have also been too skinny for him, too.

This was only episode five but it looks like Valerie Harper had already lost weight from the pilot and the first couple of episodes. She is dressed (draped?) in oversized clothes, wears a poncho and the blue quilted bathrobe, and it just looks like they worked at making her appear chunky. Mary, of course, looks like a little twig next to her, but that would be true of anybody they stood beside Mary.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Sep 2, 2012 @ 9:08 AM

it just looks like they worked at making her appear chunky

Too true! Remember when she and Mary were exercising up by the window? Mary with her hair done cute, black leotard, looking 7 feet tall and skinny as a rail. Rhoda in a pony tail and an oversized, brown sweat suit, looking like a potato!

I remember once (before weight loss) when Rhoda was just wearing jeans and a striped (horizontal!) tee-shirt and she looked totally cute! Only next to Mary did she seem overweight. And even then, not by much. Especially for that time.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2012 @ 10:38 AM

Since I had the disc out, I also watched Toulouse-Lautrec Is One of My Favorite Artists, which is an episode that I love, and it's also missing Ted. His absence is part of the plot, with Mary meeting the very short author who she has a few dates with because Ted is out sick. The B-story involves Murray substituting for Ted on-air and donning a really bad looking wig.

Since Ted was absent from episodes 5 and 7, out of curiousity, I watched episode 6 today. Support Your Local Mother is not one of my favorites, in that it focuses too much on Rhoda and her mother and Mary is almost a supporting character. Ted only appears in one scene, barking at Mary because the logo on his jacket pocket has come unsewn and somehow it's her responsibility to fix it. Now I am curious about what Ted Knight might have been doing during the weeks that those episodes were filmed, since he had only one scene in three episodes.

jeans and a striped (horizontal!) tee-shirt

In Support Your Local Mother, Rhoda is shown at work, wearing a pair of red palazzo pants with a horizontal striped turtleneck and a vest. The efforts to bulk her up were going strong.

Edited by vera charles, Sep 2, 2012 @ 10:40 AM.

Homily

Homily

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2012 @ 11:03 AM

What bothered me about Rhoda and her weight was in the episode where we have the "big reveal" and Rhoda has lost weight - and enters the beauty contest at the department store - she says she has lost 20 pounds.

Losing 20 pounds is no insignificant achievement but it doesn't make a fat woman thin. Yet in the series up to that point we are supposed to believe that Rhoda is a very heavy gal. Not if she only needed to lose 20 pounds she wasn't! Ok if she was 4'10 maybe.

So irritating that the powers that be at the time equated carrying an extra 20 lbs with being fat and unattractive.

Harry24

Harry24

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2012 @ 12:41 PM

Now I am curious about what Ted Knight might have been doing during the weeks that those episodes were filmed,

I think there were early episodes where each of the supporting actors were left out. I just figured the show wasn't a success yet, and it was a cost-saving measure.

Charlotte Vale

Charlotte Vale

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 8, 2012 @ 10:50 AM

This weekend I saw an early ep. in which Bradford Dillman shows up at Mary's apt. and asks if he can look around, as he's an "architect," then draws a creepy portrait of her. I never realized till now that Bradford Dillman in the '70s was a dead ringer for Ted Bundy! I didn't even realize it was Bradford Dillman at first. I just saw him smirking at her, in his white turtleneck and fake beige leather jacket and went, "Acckkk! Ted Bundy! Mary, don't let him in, yell for Rhoda!" Phyllis was already out back in a shallow grave by then.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2012 @ 12:39 PM

Anyone watching the two Christmas episodes this month? Well, the one actual Christmas episode, Christmas and the Hard Luck Kid and the not-Christmas episode, Not a Christmas Story.

I remember wanting for years to see Christmas and the Hard Luck Kid, then finally watching it on Nick-at-Nite and being kind of disappointed. The long portion of the show where she's working by herself is pretty boring. Then, all her co-workers show up to keep her company (leaving their families at home?), she calls Rhoda and invites her to a party, then they all leave without waiting for Rhoda. Huh?

Not a Christmas Story is funnier, just because of the hats and the singing and the ridiculous situation. And Ted saying, "And it's Christmas!" when it's really supposed to be November.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 7:54 PM

I wonder if back in the day ( of Mary and other sitcoms) that the lead woman had to be noticeably slimmer than the "sidekick."

I don't get that logic at all since there can be two very distinct personalities and looks, but it seems that several hit series of the old days worked that notion into the show (see Lucy and slightly heavier Ethel)

may2

may2

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 7:15 AM

It was in Vivan Vance's contract that she had to stay a certain weight to be heavier than Lucy.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 8:46 AM

I heard it was that she had to be 15 pounds heavier than Lucy. That must have been tough when Lucy was pregnant.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 7:14 PM

I wonder if Murray had to be heavier than Ted Baxter or any male heavier than any other male on the show, for that matter. Wait. I think I know the answer. :)

Edited by ari333, Jan 24, 2013 @ 3:10 PM.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

Actually, that bit about Vivian Vance's contract is an old urban myth that was debunked years ago. Supposedly, it was a "joke" contract that nobody ever took seriously -- but for some reason, the idea still persists that Vivian was actually required to be heavier and frumpier than Lucille.

As for Mary and Rhoda (just to bring this discussion back on-topic)? I think that was just an old trope that was a sitcom staple of the era. It was repeated later on in Rhoda, when Rhoda's younger sister Brenda was introduced with the idea that she would be the "Rhoda" to Rhoda's "Mary."

Edited by legaleagle44, Dec 21, 2012 @ 10:13 PM.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 11:59 PM

Yes, topic please.