"Then Id Own You": Getting Hooked on Veronica Mars

• Please log in to reply

1742 replies to this topic

heavenly08

heavenly08

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 7, 2008 @ 8:26 PM

Hey, I'm new to Veronica Mars. I got all three seasons on sale for under 40 bucks mainly cause it got such great reviews in Entertainment Weekly, my favorite magazine i've depended on since like '95. anyway, i just spead throught the first season, and I LOVED it. its rivaling season 2 buffy for my favorite season of television ever. I also have developed an alarming amount of love for Veronica/Logan. I know from skipping ahead that the series ends open ended with them apart which I hate. I"ll still watch the rest of the series for the hope it will be even half as good as S1.

rowanceleste

rowanceleste

Stalker

Posted Feb 7, 2008 @ 11:40 PM

I know from skipping ahead that the series ends open ended with them apart which I hate. I"ll still watch the rest of the series for the hope it will be even half as good as S1.

Ahhh, but it's so obvious that its not over between them though! :)

worldwouldend

worldwouldend

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 8, 2008 @ 12:32 AM

its rivaling season 2 buffy for my favorite season of television ever.

This is exactly how I felt when I watched it! I actually think it's exceeded it at this point; maybe I'll have to do a Buffy rewatch concurrent with the upcoming VM rewatch to be sure. Either way, I was kicking myself for putting the show off for so long just because I didn't like the Buffy comparisons.

Eurybia

Eurybia

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2008 @ 1:20 PM

This is exactly how I felt when I watched it! I actually think it's exceeded it at this point; maybe I'll have to do a Buffy rewatch concurrent with the upcoming VM rewatch to be sure. Either way, I was kicking myself for putting the show off for so long just because I didn't like the Buffy comparisons.

I felt the same way! But it's soooooo good; I kicked myself too for waiting so long. Next time Joss Whedon calls something the best show on televison, I am so listening right away. I'm definitely going to have to do the VM rewatch. (I didn't even know this forum was still here/open!)

Ahhh, but it's so obvious that its not over between them though! :)

Seriously! :D

kleinssoap

kleinssoap

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 27, 2008 @ 5:34 PM

Really late to the party here, but I got season 1 for Christmas last year, and have now watched it all except the season finale. Was lukewarm on the first few episodes (because let's face it, the high school setting is somewhat preposterous), but now I can't work, sleep, or eat for thinking about Veronica Mars.

The only things I know about the rest of the series are that Logan and Veronica continue to have a "tempestuous relationship" (I had to check on that because I was afraid he was going to get killed off in season 1), and the series ends abruptly with all loose ends hanging. I'm naively trying to remain unspoiled, yet I am drawn to these boards like a moth to a flame. Just had to confess to folks who would understand.

worldwouldend

worldwouldend

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 27, 2008 @ 9:25 PM

As a fellow latecomer, I think it's awesome people are still getting hooked! And my advice is that no matter how tempting, it is absolutely absolutely worth it to be unspoiled. Sometimes I wish I could watch it unspoiled all over again -- is that weird?

A cool feature of the awesome Mars Investigations reference site is that you can select the latest episode you've seen from the upper right corner, and it filters the site to be spoiler-free.

let's face it, the high school setting is somewhat preposterous

It's funny you say that, because I found Neptune so much more realistic than almost any high school-setting I've seen on TV, despite the murder, noir, rampant wealth and corruption, etc. Something about it felt right.

kleinssoap

kleinssoap

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 28, 2008 @ 9:46 AM

let's face it, the high school setting is somewhat preposterous

It's funny you say that, because I found Neptune so much more realistic than almost any high school-setting I've seen on TV, despite the murder, noir, rampant wealth and corruption, etc. Something about it felt right.

Some parts of it do ring true to me -- the interactions of the cliques and the individual characters, particularly. What I still have a hard time with is the fact that these kids are almost never in class, and seem to have ultimate freedom to wander through the school, work on private projects in the journalism room, cross-examine the vice principal, steal files from administration, etc. I just learned to suspend my disbelief.

Thanks so much for the hint about Mars Investigations. I had seen that site, but was afraid to really look at it for fear of being spoiled.

Finished season 1 last night... disk 1 of season 2 should be arriving via Netflix today if the gods are with me.

Edited because, oh dear, he's not the "vice principle."

Edited by kleinssoap, Jun 28, 2008 @ 9:47 AM.

closedblueyes

closedblueyes

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 30, 2008 @ 10:00 PM

Hey everyone. Add me to the list of those late in the game. My roommate owns seasons 1 & 2, so I decided I'd start watching them last weekend. Well, a week later, and I've spent about 80% of my time (including what would be sleep time) watching VM. I'm so addicted that I've gotten all the way through season 3, and I am now contemplating just starting over again.

I've also been reading through all the season 3 Logan talk in his thread. Like a lot of people, I really grew to love his character and s3 kind of dropped the ball. I'm not so upset with the cliffhanger ending; if I were RT and I'd been treated the way he was by the CW, I would likely have done the same thing. I guess I just felt like Logan's character took a nose dive up until the last episode.

The funny thing is, I watched the first half of season three when it was actually airing because I'd heard so many great things about the show. I couldn't stay focused with it because I didn't get why Veronica was in love with Logan. I just kept waiting her to figure out that Piz liked her and move on to someone new. Now, watching ALL of season three and the two previous seasons before to understand their past, it was like I was watching a completely different show.

The whole things makes me wish I had watched VM from the beginning when it aired. Having a week of anticipation and time to think more slowly about the previous week's episode would have been so different. Being able to speed through 64 (holy crap, seriously??) episodes in a week, I didn't focus on little details or allow myself much time to try and figure out the major mysteries on my own.

Sorry, I'm trying not to give away too many details to those that want to remain unspoiled.

rowanceleste

rowanceleste

Stalker

Posted Jul 1, 2008 @ 1:57 AM

I've also been reading through all the season 3 Logan talk in his thread. Like a lot of people, I really grew to love his character and s3 kind of dropped the ball.

In Season 3, Logan was living his life for Veronica and having her in his life was the only reason for happiness. He went to college, because she was, he attended classes because it made her happy, he tried to stop drinking and gambling because it made Veronica happy, etc. He wasn't making any choices based on what he wanted to do or what would make him happy. It wasn't until after he and Veronica broke up, he hit the depths and met Heather that he actually started to think about trying to figure out what made him happy, instead of making Veronica responsible for his entire happiness.

I loved the finale, because while some people would say 'the old Logan was back', to me, it was even better, because you could see that Logan realized that while he might love Veronica, with her or without her, he was still going to be okay and that was a huge step forward for him. It was one of the reasons I was really looking forward to Season 4, because Logan and Veronica would be coming together on more equal terms, rather than Logan being desperate to hold on to Veronica and Veronica trying to protect her heart from him, because she was expecting him to self-destruct and take her heart with him. I think Veronica was also under the delusion, from S1 through mid-S3, (until Logan broke up with her), that if she didn't tell Logan he was holding her heart, then he couldn't break it, which was a fallacy, as we saw.

Edited by rowanceleste, Jul 1, 2008 @ 2:02 AM.

Moonlighter

Moonlighter

Stalker

Posted Jul 1, 2008 @ 3:26 AM

Being able to speed through 64 (holy crap, seriously??) episodes in a week, I didn't focus on little details or allow myself much time to try and figure out the major mysteries on my own.

Hee! My friend summerkins went through my DVDs (with me right along with her for every episode except for "Rat Saw God" ... for some reason, I must have been really tired and fell asleep, oops!) in about that time, too. Well, actually, we had taken a week-long break after 3x9. We started around (US) Thanksgiving and finished before the end of the semester, so about December 11th, I think. But yeah if we didn't have that break, I'd say it'd be a week.

Anywho, I must have talked about VM plenty to this one friend 'cause she's just started. She thinks the OPJ is an idiot, which makes me smile. Noticed he's in the credits, so she thinks he'll stay around for a while. (Though when STP leaves, I will probably point out. "See, characters in the credits don't always stay in the credits." *is mean*) Doesn't seem to be too spoiled. Hopefully, she'll remain that way.

Edited by Moonlighter, Jul 1, 2008 @ 3:27 AM.

ChicagoTim3123

ChicagoTim3123

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2008 @ 10:28 PM

I became hooked also from Season 1 received this past Christmas.

I have watched Season 1 three times and Season 2 twice. However, and I am wondering if I am strange in this regard: I have resisted watching Season 3 because the show is over and I don't want to have no more new episodes to look forward to. I have heard certain things that happen in Season 3, but have generally remained unspoiled. I will watch it, but I am just deferring it for the time being. I am afraid now that I am going to watch it and not enjoy it because of the fact that 'this is it'; I need to kick that mindset and get into a more positive one where I will have fun watching it.

In the meantime, though, I have hooked my parents, sister, and two people from work and their families through lending them the DVD's. This show has to be among the top ever in terms of the % of people who love the show to those who have actually watched it. While the latter is glaringly small because of the incompetence of the WB and CW promotional departments, the fact that everyone who watches it loves it really makes it baffling that this show was not picked up by a TNT, FX or USA. It is even more disappointing considering the garbage that currently toxifies the current CW lineup. Here's to hoping that the right person catches onto it gets it back on the air.

rowanceleste

rowanceleste

Stalker

Posted Jul 3, 2008 @ 11:45 AM

I have resisted watching Season 3 because the show is over and I don't want to have no more new episodes to look forward to. I have heard certain things that happen in Season 3, but have generally remained unspoiled. I will watch it, but I am just deferring it for the time being. I am afraid now that I am going to watch it and not enjoy it because of the fact that 'this is it'; I need to kick that mindset and get into a more positive one where I will have fun watching it.

I completely understand! It's sort of almost like you just want to 'hold onto it' as something 'new', because you know you won't get more later. Hee...it's why I didn't read Neptune Noir in forever, because it was my last 'new' VM thing. Definitely kick the mindset and just enjoy it with friends...I just hooked another co-worker and they powered through seasons 1 and 2 and they're watching Season 3 now. It's funny, because finally in Season 3, he has been converted to a Logan/Veronica fan, where previously he was Veronica/Duncan, but it took him 3 seasons!

Nytemayre

Nytemayre

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 4, 2008 @ 3:19 PM

Add me to the list of latecomers with this show!

I've gone through all three seasons in about 3 weeks. I've got the last ep of S3 to watch tonight, and I have to say I'm dreading it a bit. I hate getting to the end of a show knowing it should have carried on much longer! I might even consider starting over from the beginning again. ;)

closedblueyes

closedblueyes

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 6, 2008 @ 6:05 PM

Well, I'm back.

My OTHER roommate (not the one that owns VM 1 & 2) and I were nursing our 4th of July hangovers yesterday. We ran out of DVR'd shows, so I told her I was going to make her watch the pilot of VM. After that, we could turn it off or keep going. Well. It's a day later and we're 8 episodes in.

She's mad at me because she knows that the show ends after season 3. I have a habit of doing this to her: Firefly, Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me... I still say it's worth watching despite VM being cancelled 3 seasons in.

She still doesn't see why I love Logan yet. I'm giving her time :)

LauraGilmore

LauraGilmore

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 6, 2008 @ 6:26 PM

I think it's great that people are still getting hooked on the show! I still am trying to convince my sister to give it a try. She is really busy lately though so I don't push it too much. I'm sure she'll watch it someday. Though I'm guessing once she does watch it she'll say something like "Why didn't I watch this sooner!?" LOL

Chyna

Chyna

Stalker

Posted Aug 16, 2008 @ 6:24 PM

I just finished season 3, and I have two friends who are anxiously awaiting the season 1 DVDs because of my recommendation. But I think I want to rewatch right away! I'm torn.

I totally agree with your assessment of season 3, rowanceleste. I didn't really like watching MopeyLogan (mainly because SnarkyLogan is hot), but given how the last few episodes went (and thus, where things were probably going to go in season 4), I see what the writers were doing there so I was OK with it. And I may be in a minority, but I liked how things ended with Veronica and Logan, even if they weren't officially together--the look on Piz's face says it all.

Sigh. I think my friends may have to wait a few more days to get season 1.

Spadada

Spadada

Fanatic

Posted Aug 17, 2008 @ 5:48 AM

I just finished watching the pilot with a friend before loaning her my S1 DVDs. I can't wait to get her frantic emails/voicemails/texts about how much she loves the show :D

Moonlighter

Moonlighter

Stalker

Posted Aug 21, 2008 @ 1:13 AM

Woot, I got a friend watching VM a few weeks ago. She was sorta "eh" for the first few episodes, I think, and then she accidentally saw episode 15 instead of episode 5 and then she saw episode 6. I'm pretty sure after that, she took a break and when I talked with her next (a few weeks later), she had bought season 1 on DVD and had watched "Pilot" thru "MAD" in two days. So we chatted about that and I prodded her for spec on the last two episodes of season 1. When that was done, she went to watch ATttD and came back for some finale spec. Totally didn't expect Aaron. A couple days later, I talked with her and she said she had seen the season finale and the first couple of season 2. A few more days go by and that brings us to now. She's finished season 2. And just now, she admits she's seen season 3. And is already thinking of people to convert.

Yep, this conversion was a total success.

Chyna

Chyna

Stalker

Posted Sep 3, 2008 @ 11:12 AM

I've gotten a friend hooked too. A couple days ago, I got an e-mail with her thoughts on "Russkie Business," with comments about how she's loving the Logan character, so I was just thinking, Wait for it...wait for it... She just watched "Weapons of Class Desctruction" last night, so this morning I got the "squeeeeee!" e-mail. :)

Teuton

Teuton

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 5, 2008 @ 3:37 AM

I got hooked myself by coinsidence: while zapping through my TV-Program on a early Saturday afternoon (yeah - thats the time Season 1 was aired in Germany - at the beginning, later on more) I got a glimpse of a cute blonde chick on the screen. So I stayed for a while (it was "The Girl next Door") and was immidiately enthusiastic. After missing the next episode on TV I couldn't resist and ordered Season 1 and 2 on DVD (it was spring 2007) ans season 3 as soon as it was available.

trouble in Germany is: nobody has ever heard of VM. Reasons are: the show was aired on a public channel which is not known for modern television. And it was aired on Saturdays at 2 pm. In the middle of season 1 the time was switched to shortly after Saturday-midnight. Later on the episodes were aired on Saturday 1:30 am. So the show obviously never got a chance to become nown in Germany.

Nevertheless I started telling friends/colleagues/family about this gorgeous show and offerede to borrow them my DVDs. What can I say: Everyone was hooked immidiately! Either they had to admit that it actually is the best show they had ever seen, or they had to argue which one of two ultimatly is the better on (i.e. e.g. 24 vs. VM).

Slowly but constantly the VM-Fans-community is growing - in 2008. Even in Germany.

Edited by Teuton, Sep 5, 2008 @ 4:03 AM.

ChicagoTim3123

ChicagoTim3123

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2008 @ 8:26 PM

So I stayed for a while (it was "The Girl next Door") and was immidiately enthusiastic.

So Teuton, are you saying the show in Germany was not called 'Veronica Mars', but rather, 'The Girl Next Door'?

Either they had to admit that it actually is the best show they had ever seen, or they had to argue which one of two ultimatly is the better on (i.e. e.g. 24 vs. VM).

So '24' is big in Germany? VM and 24 are my favorite shows, so this is exciting to hear. And oddly enough, Elisha Cuthbert, who plays Jack Bauer's daughter on 24, starred in a movie entitled 'The Girl Next Door'.

Slowly but constantly the VM-Fans-community is growing - in 2008. Even in Germany.

This is what I hope that some network would be smart enough to realize, that most everyone who watches VM becomes an instant, dedicated fan......and gets it back on the air!

HeyJuliet

HeyJuliet

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2008 @ 11:09 PM

So Teuton, are you saying the show in Germany was not called 'Veronica Mars', but rather, 'The Girl Next Door'?

I think they're referring to the episode name. It was the title for 1.07, when Veronica's next door neighbor is pregnant and then goes missing.

Teuton

Teuton

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 6, 2008 @ 4:28 AM

HeyJuliet figuered ist out. ;)

So '24' is big in Germany? VM and 24 are my favorite shows, so this is exciting to hear. And oddly enough, Elisha Cuthbert, who plays Jack Bauer's daughter on 24, starred in a movie entitled 'The Girl Next Door'.

Well - it is not really big. But every season has been aired on a normal time (10 pm). Meanwhile 24 has even got an uprgrade concerning the network. The first five seasons were on a relativly small channel. Season 6 now runs on one of the biggest German networks. I never really cared 'caus I couldd never wait until the show ultimatly was airted in germany and always had to order the DVD boxes from amazon.co.uk (which is always some weeks earlier than amazon.com). Another reason is that I don't like the sychronisations and prefer watching the shows in the original language.

American series often fail in Germany for different reasons. E.g. "The Sopranos" is a show most Germans haven't even heard about. Other shows which go quite well (but far beyond what they earn) are Lost or Prison Break. Well - Buffy and X-Files did quite well, too.

ChicagoTim3123

ChicagoTim3123

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2008 @ 4:01 PM

I think they're referring to the episode name. It was the title for 1.07, when Veronica's next door neighbor is pregnant and then goes missing

Thanks for the clarification.

AuntieLizard

AuntieLizard

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2009 @ 2:01 PM

Another friend hooked! We watched 1-1 to 1-6 without a single break last night.

This friend invited me to band night at a local bar some weeks ago and I had to decline. Afterwards she told me that the Ashmore twins were there, but at the time, she had no idea who Aaron Ashmore (Troy Vandergraff) was. I was all "Troy from Veronica!!!!!!!" and she responded with the blank stare. So I took my trusty S1 DVD over to her place and it all became clear. She said that AA was every bit as cute in person.

As she's currently unemployed, I imagine it'll take her the next 2 days to finish S1 and beg me for S2.

boggartlaura

boggartlaura

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2009 @ 10:22 PM

My sister started watching my season 1 DVDs two days ago. She finished season 1 tonight and immediately came to talk to me about how awesome the show is.

Chyna

Chyna

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2009 @ 11:13 PM

I lent my s1 DVDs to my BFF, and I'm sooo tempted to bug her each day and ask her if she's started watching, but I have to restrain myself because I know that if she did, I'd have gotten a phone call.

(I also have ulterior motives for getting her to watch ASAP, because the mister has agreed to watch it--after another guy recommended it--so I have an excuse to rewatch!)

drunkeymonkey

drunkeymonkey

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 4, 2009 @ 10:44 PM

I just discovered that episodes 1-1 through 1-4 are on Comcast's On Demand under "The WB." Another good way to get people hooked. Or they could catch up on "Hangin' With Mr. Cooper." Whatever strikes their fancy.

umme

umme

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 13, 2009 @ 1:41 AM

I just discovered that episodes 1-1 through 1-4 are on Comcast's On Demand under "The WB."

Aaaaand I love you, drunkeymonkey, for bringing this to my attention. Thanks!

dagojr

dagojr

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 30, 2009 @ 1:51 PM

Late comer to VM here, just a few months ago actually. I had bought season 1 because I had heard such great things about the show, and I had watched a pirated version of the pilot online. Hey! It's not like I was stealing! I ended up buying season one, right? In my defense, I wasn't about to shell out all of that money to buy a DVD set when I hadn't even seen any episodes of the show.

There are some shows that don't hook me right away. Buffy was like that for me in that I had to watch several episodes before liking it. But VM hooked me right from the pilot. It's one of the best pilot episode I've ever seen (I can't decide between the VM pilot and 33 from Battlestar Galactica). There's a lot of talk on this thread about "converting" people to the show, and I can't imagine starting anywhere except with the pilot.

I love how everyone on here schemes about how to convert people. VM is one of those special shows where you watch it you think to yourself, "Wow, how can I convert other people to this beautiful show." Most television imo is cheap entertainment that only lasts for a half hour to and hour, but I love shows like VM that continue to live in your head long after you've turned the television off.

I got through season 1 a few months ago, and I had put off watching season 2 because I had heard that the TV executives meddled with VM, and it's painful to watch a once great show become a shell of its former self. But I caved, and I'm now watching the second season on theWB.com. I had forgotten how fun it is to watch. So far, I might actually be enjoying it more than season 1, and that's saying a lot. From what I'm reading on a few of these threads, maybe it's season 3 in which they screw up the show, because so far season 2 is awesome.

I should stay away from this board though. I'm so afraid of spoilers right now. I've been clean so far. Every time I see a mention of season 3 or season 2, I skim over it before I find out too much. But it's hard to stay away. There's something infectiously joyful about reading how other people love the show as much as I do.

Edited by dagojr, Jan 30, 2009 @ 1:53 PM.