"Then Id Own You": Getting Hooked on Veronica Mars

• Please log in to reply

1742 replies to this topic

SabinaRose

SabinaRose

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 2, 2005 @ 5:09 PM

Veronica says, "You should see me flip my hair -- then I'd own you." I'm hoping like heck she's dead-on with that assessment ...

As I see it, we have a great chance right now to get friends hooked on Veronica Mars, since we're going to start up brand new episodes again next week <squee! of joy> and it seems like a good place where folks can pick up mid-stream . I have all the episodes on tape, and plan to have a mini-marathon and barbecue for a bunch of friends who I think would really dig the show but aren't yet watching. I figure I can show about three -- maybe four -- episodes during the mini-marathon before the natives get restless, so here's my question:

Which three episodes do you think I should show my friends in order to A. get them seriously hooked on Veronica Mars, and B. get them up-to-speed on what's going on so that the new episodes make at least SOME sense? What I'm looking for here aren't necessarily the "wow" episodes, but the ones of substance and development that are crucial to the mythology. I'd love to hear which three episodes you would recommend, in what order, and why these are your choices. Also, if you have eps on tape, I challenge you to do the same and have your own little "Get Hooked on VM" party: "Fire up the 'bachi" and get more folks addicted!

Thanks for the help.

smgkansas

smgkansas

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2005 @ 5:20 PM

I think the pilot is a must. I have a friend who has seen only the last two repeats and is somewhat unimpressed. I think part of the reason she wasn't getting into it is that she didn't have all of the groundwork that the excellent first episode laid.

Edited by smgkansas, Feb 2, 2005 @ 5:21 PM.

persnicketier

persnicketier

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 2, 2005 @ 5:22 PM

I am doing the same thing soon. I am personally going to do 1, 3, and 4. Skipping 2 because I don't have it, but 1 and 3 are phenomenal and all three of those have a lot of great background that is really necessary to understand the rest of the shows. At least I think so.

Seashells

Seashells

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 2, 2005 @ 6:05 PM

I'm having a tough time convincing my friends to join me in my new addiction. I've tried explaining the show to them, but my descriptions don't do the thing justice. When I reach the end of my rope, I usually tell them that something about it reminds me of early Buffy, but then they just look at me like I'm crazy, because, hello, no vampires, mythic arcs, etc. So two questions: How do you describe the show to your friends? And why do I get the Buffy-vibe (which for me is a good thing) from this show?

WynterWolf

WynterWolf

Stalker

Posted Feb 2, 2005 @ 6:39 PM

And why do I get the Buffy-vibe (which for me is a good thing) from this show?

For me, one thing is the quality of the snark and the way it fits perfectly into casual conversation... similar to the way early Buffy did. Early Buffy did had great snark.

Wow, this is a tough question. I am avoiding it myself because I am making full season tapes for my victi... er, people I'm trying to hook. I would agree with including the pilot because it's the introduction to everyone and definitely last night's ep because you really get a feel for Lilly's spirit but as for a third... GAH! I have no idea. This is harder than trying to pick a favorite ep!!

DorianG

DorianG

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 2, 2005 @ 7:04 PM

re: Buffy-vibe First, because both shows are well-written -- wit, plots, attention to detail, secondary and tertiary characters that are actual characters..

Second, both shows use genre situations to explore wider ideas: Buffy was never about vampires, and VM is not about being a detective....

Topic: I would say show the first three epi's; There are reasons they are in the existing order, and if they don't hook your friends, they're not gonna get hooked.

Edited by DorianG, Feb 2, 2005 @ 7:10 PM.

Couch Baron

Couch Baron

Network Executive

Posted Feb 2, 2005 @ 7:31 PM

I'm going to leave this thread, but I'd like to expand it to allow people to post their own stories about how they got hooked, as well as hooking other people. Otherwise there's not going to be enough material to merit a whole thread.

Leahs84

Leahs84

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 2, 2005 @ 7:43 PM

That's definitely a good idea Couch Baron.

I'd show someone the first three episodes to get them hooked on VM. The pilot is a must, and I think in most cases if someone isn't hooked after seeing the pilot, they probably never will be.

I got hooked on Veronica Mars after being intrigued enough to watch the pilot episode. I thought it sounded kinda silly, with her name being Mars, and living in Neptune and everything. But I was pleasantly surprised, because it was one of the best pilot episodes I've ever seen (the first episode of Miracles had a similar effect on me) and I could hardly wait for episode 2.

persnicketier

persnicketier

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 2, 2005 @ 7:50 PM

I got hooked watching the pilot. The acting and the writing combo did it for me. The mystery helped too.

I give people a run-down of the basic plot (Takes place in a wealthy, Newport Beach type place. Veronica's best friend is murdered, her boyfriend who was the girl's brother dumped her, her father was the sheriff and accused the girl's father of being involved, so he got kicked out of office, all of Veronica's friends ditched her, and her mother left them. She's trying to figure out who killed her friend thoughout all the episodes, even though a confessed criminal is in jail, because it doesn't add up. In the meantime, she solves smaller mysteries each week.)

Then I tell them that it is hard to describe and doesn't sound nearly as good as the show is. I say all of the actors are very good, it's not your typical teenage show, it's very well-written (witty), the characters are all very well-developed, and the plot thickens, as they say, every week, but in a totally believable way.

I ask them to watch an episode I have taped it and most will. They all know how much I love the show since I'm always talking about it and I always have a VM quote in my IM profile. Plus they all know I'm a really hard sell on TV shows, so if I like it, most are willing to try it because of that.

As far as Buffy goes, I recommend not using that unless you know for a fact that the person loved Buffy. Then do whatever others suggest. I'm not the person to ask because I did not like Buffy. And if someone had used that on me to get me to watch, I wouldn't have. So make sure of the person's Buffy feelings.

wykbbb

wykbbb

Posted Feb 2, 2005 @ 7:57 PM

If you have the capabilities, you might want to edit the episodes and only show the good parts. Instead of showing the entire episode of The Wrath of Con, edit out the grade B internet scam storyline, and just show the grade A Veronica, Duncan, Logan, and Lilly scenes.

I think the pilot, An Echolls Family Christmas, and the Clash of the Tritons are the strongest episodes. To help bridge the gap between the pilot and episode 11 and 12, you can show the pilot in it's entirety, then edit in the beginning summary teaser and key scenes from each of remaining episodes, and then show X'mas and Tritons in their entirety.

Here's some other ideas for introducing your friends to the show.
1) I found this livejournal entry that does a pretty good summary of the show.
2) Here's another site Veronica Mars for newbies.
3) If your friends are familiar with TWoP and Couch Baron's Buffy recaps, you can tell them that he gave 8 out of the 12 episodes a grade A- or higher.
4) The official UPN site Veronica's Desktop does a pretty good job of capturing the heartbreaking snark of the show.
5) Some people tune into a show because of a particular actor or writer. If you know someone who is a fan of Rob Thomas and Paula Marshall from Cupid, Enrico Colantoni from Just Shoot Me, Kristen Bell from Gracie's Choice, Pootie Tang and Deadwood, Kyle Secor from Homicide, Lisa Rinna from Days of Our Lives or Alyson Hannigan from Buffy, then tell them to check out Veronica Mars.
6) Casually mention Veronica Mars on other TWoP show boards that you visit. For instance if watch the Gilmore Girls, you can mention how the combination of Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars makes for an awesome night of TV viewing. If you watch Smallville, you can mention how the HoYah on VM is so much more fun.

Edited by wykbbb, Feb 2, 2005 @ 9:18 PM.

janedoe4

janedoe4

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2005 @ 8:10 PM

I successfully got a couple of people hooked by showing the Pilot and Clash of the Tritons. The Pilot sets up all the backstory, of course, and establishes the tone of the show (and that the tone is different from what people may expect based on the name/setting/other superficial features). Clash brings viewers up to speed for the new episodes, plus it includes all the main characters, we learn a fair bit about most of the h.s. characters, and it has a good case of the week. Showing that pair does require some clear, concise summary of what's gone on in between (Logan's being not quite so noxious, Weevil's "Lilly" tattoo, and Harron's stabbing are the main points that I think are needed to make sense of Clash). If you have time for a third episode, you can obviously use it to fill in some of that stuff.

Feisty

Feisty

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2005 @ 8:22 PM

If you have the capabilities, you might want to edit the episodes and only show the good parts. Instead of showing the entire episode of The Wrath of Con, edit out the grade B internet scam storyline, and just show the grade A Veronica, Duncan, Logan, and Lilly scenes.

Artistic integrity be damned? :) (Actually this reminds me of a legal issue that came up in trademarks and unfair competition...but I'll refrain from putting the non-lawyers here to sleep.)

Seriously though, wykbbb, like you I enjoyed the flashbacks more than the internet scam plot. But I can't endorse editing out Keith and Icetwin, Keith in his DEA jacket, Wallace and his one episode girlfriend, or Veronica in her Japanime outfit. I think the whole of the episode, the combination of current scenes and flashbacks, works very well...kind of like in the pilot. (The pilot jumped around more than I remembered, but that's how they squeezed so many interesting hooks into less than an hour.) I particularly liked the juxtaposition of Duncan and Icetwin, Logan before and Logan after Lilly died, and Veronica before and Veronica after Lilly died.

ETA: On topic, tie them up and make them watch every damn episode from start to finish. I mean, you'll either convert new viewers or create some new kind of post-VM-a-thon trauma disorder. And that would get some kind of media attention, right?

Edited by Feisty, Feb 2, 2005 @ 8:26 PM.

SomethingBlue

SomethingBlue

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 2, 2005 @ 8:30 PM

I think a big problem with getting people to tune in for even one episode is the premise. The whole girl detective thing sounds stupid. Then think about the storylines: investigating a cult, kid switched at birth, etc. A lot of things about the show, at first glance, seem like overused cliches. Also, so many people make VM sound like some sort of weird cross between Buffy, Nancy Drew, and the OC and I think that turns people off. Of course, as we all know, it only takes one episode to realize that its one of the smartest shows on television. But I know I never would have tuned in for the pilot if it hadnt been for all the great reviews the show was getting.

I'm in the process of converting my best friend and fellow TWoPer, but so far I haven't had much luck. I'm going to have her over for a marathon night, but I know we'll end up getting distracted or talking during the episode and missing an awesome scene and call me anal, but that will drive me crazy. She's a huge fan of Gilmore Girls and Alias, so I'm trying to pick episodes based on her tastes. I think the pilot is a must, "The Wrath of Con", and then "Clash of the Tritons" or "An Echolls Family Christmas". Anyone have any ideas?

ETA:

That is such a good idea. As I watched last night I found myself wishing that the whole computer geek internet scam plot would go away so I could enjoy the Lilly stuff. I think I'll try that with my friend.

Edited by SomethingBlue, Feb 2, 2005 @ 8:35 PM.

Tanker

Tanker

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2005 @ 8:31 PM

I was pretty much hooked from the first scene, but I when I think of the pilot, I think of the scene between Weevil's gang and Veronica, where she's sitting in her car. Backup 1.0's hurtling out the window is one of the series' highlights for me. That's the moment I fell in lurve.

I'd show newbies that Veronica's Desktop UPN front page. How could they not fall for her? That's the cutest pic ever.

Demian

Demian

Network Executive

Posted Feb 2, 2005 @ 8:42 PM

I'd show them the pilot and then skip over Icetwin's arc, follow the pilot with "Like a Virgin," and then end with either "Echolls Family Christmas" or "Clash of the Tritons."

Whatever you do, don't show them "Meet John Smith," because the kid playing the tranny's son bloooooooows.

twentythree

twentythree

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2005 @ 9:32 PM

My sister hooked me onto the greatness of Veronica Mars. She told me to watch MTV the second week the show aired, because they were showing the pilot (I know I am not the only one who wishes they would still show the repeats on MTV) and I just completely fell in love in the first half house. The snarkiness, the cleverness, this was for real? Amazing. So yes, I have to thank my sister for this, and I know she lurks around here, so thanks, sis!

I have, in turn, hooked my best friend on it. I constantly gush about the show, and it was going to get some sort of interest in it, especially since she trusts my taste. The thing is, she lives in New Jersey and I live in Florida. So, every Tuesday night, she calls me or I call here and we watch the show and she asks me questions when she gets confused (although she isn't as confused since she saw the pilot). I've got her hooked AND it's an excuse to talk on the phone on the hour, because our communication is primarily through IMs.

I say, if you want to hook someone, show them the pilot, and Clash of the Tritons, definetely. I think The Wrath of Con really shows Veronica's cleverness, too, so that may be a good one to show, although my answer would probably change tomorrow. They're all just so damn good! It's hard to decide which ones to show.

Auntmoon

Auntmoon

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 2, 2005 @ 9:47 PM

I have been thinking about this as well. I am in the midst of trying to convert a OTH watcher to VM, as is right in an ordered universe. I am sticking with the pilot and Meet John Smith, since I kept those on my tivo. Furhtermore I was hooked, lined and sinkered on John Smith, so it must be a good one.

On Couch Baron's other instruction, I am also posting how I became obsessed with this show: I had heard the good buzz, and was interested in the show, but I messed up the dates and missed the pilot (I have class Tuesday nights and needed to paln in advance to catch it). Then the next week I saw that Paris Hilton was going to be on the show and I recoiled in horror. I vowed then and there to never, ever watch.

Then...Couch Baron, a demi-god of television snark and criticism actually *liked* this show. Flat out stated that despite PH being vile the show was still great. Well, with that stamp of approval I had to watch. The rest is history. I am obsessed. I am not even embarassed to be obsessed with a show about high school life at my age. So, thanks Couch Baron! I heart Couch Baron, but I heart VM more!!

Evergreen

Evergreen

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2005 @ 10:20 PM

I was hooked with episode 4 and all the flashbacks of Lilly. The Wrath of Con, I think? Why was it named "Wrath of Con", anyway...?

The point when I knew I loved this show:
I had seen parts of the first few episodes, but hadn't caught any Lilly. The main storyline in episode four was OK, but the flashbacks were phenomenal. They really made Lilly a true character - one of those golden girls who plays the social game but is smart enough to know they're playing a game and having fun (and don't freak out and become drama queens). I loved her interaction with Veronica and even though, as a teenage girl, I HATE it when people Lilly's age have sex (I don't know, it's a peeve), I liked the character so much by the time they showed the "I Never..." game that I didn't care. So, essentially, the writers were so excellent that they got me to overcome my baseless, judgmental and Catholic guilt-ridden view of sexuality for a character that was/is already DEAD! Similarly, the writers on Buffy had me liking Buffy's character so much in S2 that I didn't care about her/Angel, either.

So, anyway, by the end of that episode, Veronica and Lilly's relationship was just so defined and tragic and great. I loved the Veronica skinny-dipping at the end just because it showed how much Lilly really means to Veronica, and was just so incredibly bittersweet. AND she was wearing a red satin dress, exactly the kind Lilly would have wanted her to wear. It was so seamless and perfect. I started CACKLING and exclaiming about what a fantastic show it was. My twin sister was like, "You didn't like TV this much since you saw Buffy on DVD for the first time!" But I still haven't won her over. She's always making fun of me with threats of impending cancellation. "What does it matter watching it tonight, it'll be cancelled by next week." Why do I love Paige, anyway?

Also, I have a confession: I'm a follower. Well, since I'm a teenager, you guys could assume that. But what I mean is this: I saw bits and pieces of the first few pieces because of TWoP! There was so much love here for the first episode that I liked the show before I had even seen it.

Edited by Evergreen, Feb 3, 2005 @ 7:56 PM.

Benito

Benito

Posted Feb 2, 2005 @ 10:29 PM

I'd like to expand it to allow people to post their own stories about how they got hooked

It's tough, when the answer is simply "I watched the first episode". It's a big part though of why ANY introduction to the show pretty much has to start with that episode--it sets things up more perfectly than ANY Pilot I've ever seen anywhere. Sure, you don't completely understand that, or why, Logan is redeemable. You don't completely understand that "Who's Your Daddy" is more than just the short guy from "Just Shoot Me". You don't understand that The Donut is more than just a boring brainless pretty boy. You certainly don't understand Lily the way you get to by "Wrath of Con". But you understand Veronica in a deeper and truer way than any other protagonist I can think of. You know her, admire her, feel for her and yet also can clearly see but accept most of her flaws right then and there.

I'd argue if the Pilot doesn't hook someone, most of the follow-up shows won't. But an episode like "Echolls Family Christmas", although NOT a major advancement in any of the important plot points, IS the kind of episode which can cement an existing "like" into love I'd bet.

The plot is indeed so spread out I doubt any three eps can can give you a start to finish feel. Go for the ones which hook you emotionally. In the Pilot, the moment she just casually tosses off the line about not knowing how she lost her virginity? Even if she turns out to be wrong about what happened (a speculation a lot of people make) that moment STILL strips things bare in a fashion that totally represents the whole show. There have to be two other episodes, at least, with moments of that emotional intensity. Personally for me those would be "Wrath of Con" and the whole thing with Lily's memorial, and "Echolls" with the Jake/Veronica confrontation scene followed by the stabbing and the mondo-downer anti-holiday cheer final VMVO of the episode.

Will the average viewer understand the plot connectiveness from "Pilot" to "Wrath" to "Echolls"? No. But at least they will understand it's more than a "Nancy Drew" type show.

Edited by Benito, Feb 2, 2005 @ 10:47 PM.

valeriel

valeriel

Stalker

Posted Feb 2, 2005 @ 11:33 PM

My sister hooked me onto the greatness of Veronica Mars.

So did mine! She kept telling me about, telling me to tape it, etc. I was wary since I'm already watching several shows, plus it's heartbreaking to start watching a new show, like it alot, then it gets cancelled. After getting some feedback on the show on my beloved Angel boards, I went for it.
The first ep that I saw, "Like A Virgin," was pretty good. Surprisingly good. I was a little disconnected, but after watching the pilot last week, everything made alot more sense. I heart the pilot.
In answer to the question about which eps to show, the pilot is a must, followed by "LAV" and "Clash..." I haven't seen "Echolls Family Christmas" yet.

SpoiledHeathenPunk

SpoiledHeathenPunk

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2005 @ 12:17 AM

Why was it named "Wrath of Con", anyway...?

I think (and I might be totally making this up because, despite all my other geekiness I am not a trekky) that Wrath of Kahn is a Star Trek movie, and since the episode is about ubergeek conmen. . . well, you understand.

Topic? I was semi-interested in the buzz, caught the end of the pilot, read CB's recap, decided to make a concerted effort to become a regular viewer. I think I fell in love the minute VM walks into the gaming club in Wrath of Con, but I don't think I really understood that I was obsessed until I started trying to strong-arm everyone I knew into watching it, which was probably around. . . the cult episode, the name of which I can't remember.

Douggley

Douggley

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2005 @ 12:24 AM

I just watched "Wrath of Con" and I think I'm hooked. I'd been meaning to watch for a while because of a nasty crush on Amanda Seyfried, and I happened to tune in out of boredom on a Lilly-heavy episode. I ended up really liking the characters, and now I'm trying to catch reruns (reading the recaps frantically) to prepare myself for when the show comes back from hiatus. And I of course need to bully some people into watching it also, so I have something to talk about.

Benito

Benito

Posted Feb 3, 2005 @ 12:42 AM

To expand on my earlier posting, another thing "hooked" me into the show, and I think it may be a common factor among those of us who were earlier adopters of it.

Cupid.

The early Veronica Mars reviews gave a lot of Buffy comparisons, and while that may have drawn some folks, for me it was almost enough of a buzzkill to keep me away from that first episode. I mean, the concept sounded like a cheap bad fit for Buffyism, and frankly I was never such a huge Buffy fan that it's many flaws didn't often bug the crap out of me--even with the early episodes.

But Cupid had been a show I'd almost accidentally stumbled on--watching it's premiere because I a.) was bored that night and b.) had a major thing for Paula Marshall because of her earlier appearances on Spin City (a show I otherwise disliked somewhat). And Cupid surprised me by totally NOT being what I'd expected--a sappy updated "Love, American Style". Instead, it was much more. And so, looking at the somewhat lame pre-season descriptions of Veronica Mars in various Fall Preview Guides, I started thinking... "could it be so bad if the guy who surprised me with Cupid is in charge?" And like with Cupid, it totally defied the obvious.

So, to be honest, I was POTENTIALLY hooked on Veronica Mars even before what I describe in my last post about watching the Pilot. The Pilot simply reeled me in.

Edited by Benito, Feb 3, 2005 @ 12:46 AM.

Aes Sidhe

Aes Sidhe

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 3, 2005 @ 1:01 AM

To expand on my earlier posting, another thing "hooked" me into the show, and I think it may be a common factor among those of us who were earlier adopters of it.

Cupid.

In a word: Amen. At least for me. Cupid made me a believer when it came to Rob Thomas since I saw its episodes; when he was cool enough to spoil the scripts for the unaired episodes? I've harbored great, great affection for him and his work, let's say. The man has a gift for taking improbable-sounding premises and making them great.

I actually sort of dug the initial premise before I knew Rob Thomas was working on the show, but that absolutely sealed the deal for me. It's a pity and a shame that Cupid was also somewhat underwatched, but I believe in my heart of hearts that UPN is going to be far better to Veronica than ABC was to my beloved Trevor and Claire.

As for the three episodes that I'd show to viewers, I'm going to go against the grain and say that it almost might be worthwhile to stick in a lesser effort among the three you'd show a prospective newbie, to be able to say "and this is one of the weaker episodes of this show', or to consider 'Return of the Kane' for the way it throws some depths on Duncan and Logan that aren't there in the pilot, and emphasizes that this is no piece of bubblegum fluff.

ethanvahlere

ethanvahlere

Stalker

Posted Feb 3, 2005 @ 1:20 AM

I agree with everyone who says to start hooking people with the pilot ep. As for how I got here, I try to give at least one new show a try every season. Usually the show I give a try to has either a pedigree I like, or a plot that sounds interesting. While I never saw Cupid, and, like I said when commenting on the pilot, despise Joel Silver, I thought the plot sounded decent. At the time, I didn't remember Kristen Bell from Spartan. I liked the pilot, but I don't think I really got hooked into the show until maybe "The Wrath of Con," with all the flashback stuff that showed you the bonds between all the characters.

wykbbb

wykbbb

Posted Feb 3, 2005 @ 6:48 AM

I watched the pilot because TV Guide named Veronica Mars one of the best new shows of the season. When Veronica told the teacher "Life's a bitch until you died," I smirked like I haven't smirked since Buffy and Angel. By the time Veronica asked Weevil to the prom, my snark loving heart was hooked. At the time I didn't know Rob Thomas (Cupid) was involved with the show, so when I saw his name in the closing credits, I did a major Squee! Luckily I had taped the pilot, so I watched it again that night before I went to bed. I knew I was obsesses when I re-watched the pilot at least 4 times during that first week.

Artistic integrity be damned? :)

Feisty, integrity? What's that? Is it one of those useless, insipid concepts like guilt, charity, and ethics that those bleeding-heart goody-two-shoes keep yammering on about?

I think a big problem with getting people to tune in for even one episode is the premise. The whole girl detective thing sounds stupid.

Here's EC's opinion about the stupid premise of the show. You can read the rest of the interview here.

Del Harvey: Back to the show's description... I was trying to get a fix on it. It says, "Veronica is one of the popular girls by day..."

Enrico Colantoni: [Laughs] You know what, Del? It's silly. There's no way around it. Kind of a stupid premise. You know what I mean? It's like, "What? A teenage detective, she works with her dad... it's absurd. You know? And, in fact, every time I've had to describe it I've felt a little embarrassed by it. It sounds kind of cheesy. But, fortunately, Rob Thomas has been writing teenage novels for years, so he's got such a wonderful knack for creating these great characters. And it's dark, and it's got so much bite to it, that it makes it unique for network TV. And the way it's filmed, you know they're really putting a lot of effort into it, so it looks great. It feels great. And it has a Twin Peaks element to it. There's been a murder that sort of haunts us throughout the season. And, to me, it's a story about falling from grace and sort of trying to restore order into the world. So it has that undertone going on. And then you deal with teenage stuff, but it's not 90210. I don't know The O.C. that well, but I don't think it's that. It's intense and fun to watch. You want to know what happens.

Can I get a witness! Preach on brother man, preach on!

Bec

Bec

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2005 @ 10:13 AM

At first I wasn't even going to give it a chance because of the name. I was all "Veronica Mars? What the hell kind of name is that? Is it another show about teen aliens?" Then I caught and ad on UPN that told me she's a PI, and they had me from there. I do have a thing for the Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys type stuff. Then of course the first episode got me to realise this is tons better than those and made me a diehard fan.

I think the best descriptor of this show for the uninitiated would be "film noir updated". That's closer than saying it's any kind of a cross of Buffy, The O.C., etc. My film studies class is doing a whole film noir theme this semester, and the voiceovers, the flashbacks, the wit, even the way the scenes are shot in this show are all reminiscent of the film noir style. Plus the darker aspects of the show like alienation, obession, murder, rape are all the stuff that film noir is made of.

The best part is that this show is updated from the old black and whites so the protagonist is now an awesome smart girl instead of the ever-present male-protagonists who thinks they're so smart but gets entrapped by the femme fatales who are almost always killed in the end for overstepping traditional female roles. Yeah, I'm gonna be writing my film noir paper on Veronica Mars. I know I can get my prof hooked on the show if I set my mind to it!

Edited by Bec, Feb 3, 2005 @ 10:15 AM.

snowbutterfly

snowbutterfly

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2005 @ 12:29 PM

I found out about Veronica Mars during my tv-junkie planning of what to watch on the full season.

I hate to say it, but I fell prey to the marketing scheme of promo after promo during my closet interest in Amish in the City (there was a song "rumspringer" at this Folk Festival, and there wasn't much on in the summer, and...right, that's another story, I digress.). Yes, dare I say it, less UPN & Ms. Orstroff are reading, blitzing snazzy new promos over and over again, does indeed work. I think I can still recite those promos. Nevertheless, I added Veronica Mars and Kevin Hill from UPN to my fall line up of shows to test out.

The minute the pilot started, I knew I was hooked.
A minute after the pilot ended, I began obsessively looking for anything that KB had done (and believe me, I pulled a full Mars-Investigaton-PLUS on my KB searches - I found that "Tall Paul" clip from the Sherman Brothers, and hidden "Reefer Madness" clip of her singing, and bootlegs of her broadway shows the same week that pilot aired.)

Then to ensure I had company to talk about this brilliant TV creation, I instructed all my TV junkie friends, the ones who would all understand why it's important to watch a show religiously, to tune in on Tuesday nights. No problem - they know good TV when they see it. :)

My converting strategy is to invite the less TV-freaky to my house for some take-out, open a bottle of wine, and seduce them in 3 episodes.

The way I've chosen the 3 episodes depended on the person, but I find that this combination works. I've rarely even had to explain anything.

I will always show the pilot - it has the most backstory exposition (and kinda like the Alias pilot, it totally packs a good punch.)

If I have time I'll make them watch episode 2 - but if there is less time, I'd move onto 3 because "Meet John Smith" kicks ass.

A very strange one to choose, but usually is the clincher is episode 5 - "You think you know somebody" The music, the twist that makes Veronica seem so ruthless and yet fragile, the straining of her relationship with dad, and the final shot with the phone ringing/vibrating seem to hit a lot of points.

The only exception to this method was my cousin, who was over when deputy marble-mouth showed up. She was hooked with his appearance and the 46Bliss song. (She's not really a TV junkie either.) so really, it works out in the end. It's just a damn good show. :)
hee.

topanga

topanga

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2005 @ 1:13 PM

Here's a report on my partially successful "Veronica Mars" advertising campaign:

1. Today, I posted on about 10 different forums/message boards/fansites for Anthony Anderson, encouraging everyone to watch him on Veronica Mars and promising everyone that they would be hooked once they watched one episode. I hope this episode is good or I'd be a liar.

I know I'm fodder for spammers. Fortunately, I have an e-mail address that's reserved for spam e-mails.

2. My unsuccessful venture was the one I was counting on the most. Today, I was unable to speak on the Tom Joyner Morning Show. The TJMS is a nationally-syndicated morning radio show with over 8 million listeners. In the big markets that report their ratings (Philadelphia, L.A., Houston, Chicago, etc.) it has consistenly ranked second only to Howard Stern, who's now gone. It's a predominantly black audience, but there are a significant number of non-black listeners. They often discuss UPN shows on the air.

On Thursdays, the show has a segment every hour when listeners can call in and comment on whatever their heart desires. I was going to plug VM by pumping up the show and telling everyone that Anthony Anderson was a guest star on this excellent program. After 20 minutes of busy signals, I was greeted by a receptionist who took my name and topic (I only said "Anthony Anderson") and said that Tom would be answering calls shortly.

I stayed on hold for 45 minutes, praying--literally praying--that Tom would answer my call. And I was on my cell phone! Can you say overage charges? But this was worth it to me.

Anyway, the secretary eventually came back on and said that Tom was finished answering calls for the day. In the words of "Good Times'" Florida Evans, "Damn, Damn, Damn!"

But I'm not discouraged. I'll call back again (once I know that I can afford my current cell phone bill), and I will bring Veronica Mars to the TJMS audience.

Anabelle Crump

Anabelle Crump

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 3, 2005 @ 1:23 PM

I had heard that the PTBs were giving someone like Chloe Sullivan her own show. Given that Chloe was one of the few characters on Smallville I liked at all, I looked up the VM Web page. It looked like it could be cool. (And of course, it turns out that Veronica is way more engaging than Chloe, plus I don't have to put up with execrable writing to enjoy her.)

Then I heard that Rob Thomas was behind the show. I loved Cupid. Adored it. Wrote letters to save it. Cried when it was cancelled. So I knew that I had to see Veronica Mars.

I sat down the night of the premiere, remote to the VCR in hand, and watched while I taped it.

Smart, snarky, heartbroken girl? Check.
Incredibly witty dialog? Check.
Interesting supporting actors? Check
Twist on noir conventions? Check.
Kick-ass use of dog? Check.

I watched it again. Called a friend to dissect it in excruciating detail. Went to TWoP to see what they had to say. Started checking search engines for information. Wondered how long it would take for the fan fiction to appear. Became obsessed.

Blocked out Tuesday nights until the end of the season.