• Please log in to reply

3179 replies to this topic

Cerpintaxt815

Cerpintaxt815

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 9:59 PM

"Always bet on red..."

Oh Principle Lewis, I've missed you

LOL loved Klaus filling in for Stan at work!

That was a good ending, bringing back the pedophile gym coach XD. This was a pretty good episode! And Lewis at the end, hahaha

Edited by Cerpintaxt815, Mar 4, 2012 @ 10:00 PM.

GeoBQn

GeoBQn

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

Another episode that aired WAY out of order--Corey Haim is not doing fine.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 10:33 PM

I thought that was the joke.

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 10:47 PM

Another episode that aired WAY out of order--Corey Haim is not doing fine.-GeoBQn

Yeah, he is dead and the joke is dated (unless the joke was that Corey Feldman was doing better than Haim because he is still alive).

Liked this episode and I thought it was better than FG's.

Did anyone catch Principle Lewis betting on a little girl name Susie and seeing that he lost the bet because she was the first to colored outside the line? I know that AD! doesn't always do the cold endings (or whatever; it is the same thing the Venture Bros. do at the end of each episode) but that was just so hilarious.

Edited by TVspectator, Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:42 PM.

Cerpintaxt815

Cerpintaxt815

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

Yeah I actually thought AD episodes never have a tag, so that kind of threw me. But yeah it was hilarious

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 12:33 AM

I couldn't figure out what they were betting on at the end until Lewis was bitching about staying in the lines. That was a brilliant tag.

TDI Ashley

TDI Ashley

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 3:33 AM

TVspectator
Liked this episode and I thought it was better than FG's.

So did I. But hell, I actually thought that even CS beat FG tonight.

Cerpintaxt815
Yeah I actually thought AD episodes never have a tag, so that kind of threw me.

They have them occasionally. In fact, they had one in "The Unbrave One," too, back in January. It had Quagmire from FG at the end of it.

I loved this episode, but Stan was a douche for sabotaging Barry. He found something he was finally good at, and he basically took it away from him.

Laughed at Steve losing to even the simplest of opponents. A no-legged guy and a terminally ill kid? Seriously?! No wonder Stan has issues with Steve's strength and social status!

I'm relieved that Francine pretended to enjoy the museum. And was I the only one to laugh at the trophies coming to life and making out with each other, much to the sadness of the waxed Stan statue?

Pretty Hayley-less episode, but on the whole, still very good.

Edited by TDI Ashley, Mar 5, 2012 @ 3:34 AM.

jediknight

jediknight

Stalker

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 4:17 AM

I'd also add that for a conservative, Stan seems to be ok with his gay neighbors who are a couple.

I'd say he seems more than ok with them. He stood up for them to Terry's dad, who is someone Stan respected. Hell he even later did it in a stadium full of people.

And Stan has gotten his comeuppance, just remember when he was bullying Steve. He got t-boned by Francine for it, and Steve hired Stan's old bully to beat the shit out of him. I don't think you'd see that on Family Guy.

which in-turns makes him hate Jeff.

And he's grown to like Jeff. Heck, even when he hated Jeff, he was disgusted that Jeff's father would let Jeff take the fall for something he didn't do.

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 10:33 AM

I loved this episode, but Stan was a douche for sabotaging Barry.

Barry deserves it. That evil bastard.

vienibenmio

vienibenmio

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 11:05 AM

Too many rape jokes this episode...

Stan is Father of the Year compared to Peter and, in some episodes, Homer Simpson. Peter is outright abusive towards Meg and has no remorse whatsoever. He's never punished for it, either, unlike Stan who always learns his lesson. There was one episode where Meg stood up for herself, but this punishment for Peter was only temporary.

Stan does seem to forget the lessons he learned and repeat his sometimes awful behavior, but that's a sitcom-style-show issue and should not be attributed to the character.

Kendall95

Kendall95

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 11:27 AM

Yeah, Corey Haim died two years ago, so I would say that was the point of the joke.

And was I the only one to laugh at the trophies coming to life and making out with each other, much to the sadness of the waxed Stan statue?

No, I laughed pretty hard at that one.

Also love the tag at the end. Lewis is a great character, but only in small doses. I'm glad they've toned down his appearances this season.

Stalkmylife82

Stalkmylife82

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 11:36 AM

American Dad also puts out episodes that were made back in 2010. Which is two years ago. It could easily be a symbol of the episode being old.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 1:37 PM

I was kind of hoping that Barry's dark side would remerge after finding out Stan was trying to sabatoge him. Oh well, more plots for Roger *rolls eyes*. I did love the return of Principal Lewis and Klaus filling in for Stan at work.

And Stan has gotten his comeuppance, just remember when he was bullying Steve. He got t-boned by Francine for it, and Steve hired Stan's old bully to beat the shit out of him. I don't think you'd see that on Family Guy.

Don't forget when he brainwashed Hayley into marrying a gay guy, which turned her into an assassin that kicked every square inch of his ass and shot him in the head (although he survived). That was my favorite comeuppance.

Blixx

Blixx

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 4:00 PM

I think this episode officially cemented the fact that Haley is the "Meg" of the Smith household.

Stan: "How's Haley?"
Francine: "Oh you know, being a pain in the ass as usual."

And still no appearance either. Overall it was an okay episode, leagues funnier than the ageist/racist freaky-friday episode last Sunday.

SmithW6079

SmithW6079

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 5:00 PM

leagues funnier than the ageist/racist freaky-friday episode last Sunday.

How was the previous episode "ageist"? If anything, I thought it showed that Stan shouldn't judge old people harshly because he's going to be old himself one day.

I loved how they referenced the age of the Nancy Kerrigan/Tonya Harding joke, but what was the movie that Snot first called them on for also being an "ancient" reference?

Sometimes I wonder what Seth MacFarlane's fascination is with pedophilia -- the gym coach in this episode, Herbert in "Family Guy." I think the only show that hasn't had a pedophile yet is "The Cleveland Show."

I think this episode officially cemented the fact that Haley is the "Meg" of the Smith household.

Stan: "How's Haley?"
Francine: "Oh you know, being a pain in the ass as usual."

I disagree. Meg is abused by pretty much every member of the Griffin household. Haley often is a pain in the ass, but she's not abused the way Meg is.

Blixx

Blixx

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 6:09 PM

I disagree. Meg is abused by pretty much every member of the Griffin household. Haley often is a pain in the ass, but she's not abused the way Meg is.

Tomatoes/Tohmattos, my point is/was that the 3 Mac shows are starting to blend for me, and not in a good way.

And the Ageist/Racist comment I made was in fact in refference to the whole point of the episode, he was being ageist by assuming all old people are slow and worthless, yadda-yadda he learns a valuable lesson then turns black for some reason at the end of the episode. Since his becoming old was a handicap (i.e. a BAD thing) for being rude towards an elderly man, I can only assume he had said/done something rude or racist to a black man, but this is irrelevent as it's Stan Smith we're talking about - and it happened offscreen anyway.

Edited by Blixx, Mar 5, 2012 @ 6:12 PM.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 7:08 PM

As bad as Meg gets get is, she's still far better off than Steve and Haley. God, the things Stan has done to Steve alone make Meg's relationship with her parents seem functional as far as all of the vile shit Stan has done to Steve. Not to mention taking away Haley's college fund for some petty bullshit, causing her to have to become a prostitute to help buy the family food as part of the revenge plot Stan cooked up to get back at the car salesman, brainwashing her with her sleeper agent training in order to trap her into a loveless marriage with a gay man to keep her from moving to France, etc.

Peter may be a bad parent but at least he has an excuse of being a legitimate retarded male. Stan's just a cold blooded sociopathic monster who is incapable of any real paternal feeling towards his children. Haley is just an object for Stan to control while Steve exists simply to sacrifice his own sense of self so that Stan can force him to be something he isn't in order to live the life of a popular kid vicariously through his son.

Blixx

Blixx

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 8:27 PM

As bad as Meg gets get is, she's still far better off than Steve and Haley. God, the things Stan has done to Steve alone make Meg's relationship with her parents seem functional as far as all of the vile shit Stan has done to Steve. Not to mention taking away Haley's college fund for some petty bullshit, causing her to have to become a prostitute to help buy the family food as part of the revenge plot Stan cooked up to get back at the car salesman, brainwashing her with her sleeper agent training in order to trap her into a loveless marriage with a gay man to keep her from moving to France, etc.

Peter may be a bad parent but at least he has an excuse of being a legitimate retarded male. Stan's just a cold blooded sociopathic monster who is incapable of any real paternal feeling towards his children. Haley is just an object for Stan to control while Steve exists simply to sacrifice his own sense of self so that Stan can force him to be something he isn't in order to live the life of a popular kid vicariously through his son.

Thank you! These are things that I have said before time and again on other forums and the vast majority of viewers can't come rushing to Stan's defense quickly enough. Stan is a bully, period. At least Peter has the rule of funny on his side (most of the time). If Stan doesn't get his way he manipulates, lies, and cheats until he does, and I never tire of his defender's excuses "he always learns something valuable at the end, which makes him better than Peter, etc." yea he learns a lesson only to have forgotten it by the next episode in order to become consumed by some other issue.

If it weren't for Roger's craziness and Klaus' reality checking, I probably wouldn't watch AD. Granted since it's inception in 2005, the main cast has more or less remained original instead of mutating into buttholes of titantic proportions (*cough*Lois, Peter, Brian, Chris, everyone on FG sans Stewie, Meg, and Mayor West*cough*)

I really do like American Dad - I love Roger/Steve, Roger/Francine episodes because of how they deal with Roger and his craziness. I just hate the feeling of well, hating the main character of a show (Stan) one day then loving him the next (tbh I don't hate Stan I just strongly dislike him). I also dislike how they portray gays on this show (and on every other MacFarlane show), like Madonna is God and Broadway is the church - puhlease.

Edited by Blixx, Mar 5, 2012 @ 8:37 PM.

vienibenmio

vienibenmio

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 10:43 AM

But again, Stan forgets his lessons because that's how sitcoms are. You can't view that as part of his character.

Stan IMO is like Homer. Some episodes he's an outright jerk but most of the time he's portrayed as a caring if misguided father.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 3:24 PM

Most sitcom families haven't changed much in the last 50 years, and none of the Sundays shows are much different in that regard. Except for AD, in every show, the dad goes out to the bar to drink with the neighbors, for example. Stan forgets lessons, or takes things way, way too far. So, TPTBs try to put a different angle on their shows. On BB, the dad is more put upon and the wife does wacky things. On AD Francine is the typical housewife, but she'll still try to murder Clooney, or when she doesn't have to sleep, she'll use her spare time to explore the deep sea. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it falls flat.

It's hard to draw too much characterization from any of them, since continuity is pretty fast and loose.

TDA Jake

TDA Jake

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 3:45 PM

BakerX2
God, the things Stan has done to Steve alone make Meg's relationship with her parents seem functional as far as all of the vile shit Stan has done to Steve. Not to mention taking away Hayley's college fund for some petty bullshit, causing her to have to become a prostitute to help buy the family food as part of the revenge plot Stan cooked up to get back at the car salesman, brainwashing her with her sleeper agent training in order to trap her into a loveless marriage with a gay man to keep her from moving to France, etc.

Peter may be a bad parent but at least he has an excuse of being a legitimate retarded male. Stan's just a cold blooded sociopathic monster who is incapable of any real paternals feeling towards his children. Hayley is just an object for Stan to control while Steve exists simply to sacrifice his own sense of self so that Stan can force him to be something he isn't in order to live the life of a popular kid vicariously through his son.

I'm a full-fledged Stan defender, so I'll stick up for him. I always chalk up Stan's actions (horrendous though they admittedly are) to his terrible childhood. The bad things that happened to him and his mother messed him up badly. So badly, in fact, that his sociopathic tendencies started while he was still a kid. (Remember that he kidnapped all of his mother's boyfriends and dropped them on a deserted island just so he could have his mother to himself.) And he had no one to give him the help he needed, so he grew up to continue his behavior. With any effort to help him at all, he probably wouldn't be like this.

The thing is, Stan even tries not to be the way he is, but almost every episode, something happens that pushes him back over the edge yet again.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 8:11 PM

I realize this is me taking it way too seriously, but this episode annoyed me.

The pin for a three count is only in Professional Wrestling (my soap opera of choice).

In collegiate wrestling (far as I understand it) someone gets pinned, the ref checks to see if the shoulders are on the mat, and if they are, blows the whistle.

Also, there are rounds.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 11:35 PM

It's two shoulders down for one full second for a pin in college. But, they also do points, like a takedown is point, but if you escape that's a point too, and there are rounds.

I don't know how it is in high school, but I wouldn't think that the pin would be longer.

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 4:10 PM

Looks like we might get a less Roger centric episode tonight; although IMO, the plot seems a bit dated (is the US even sending troops to Iraq right now?):

Dr. Klaustus

Plot: Roger acts as the family therapist as his alter-ego "Dr. Penguin" until he is sent out to fight the war in Iraq. Klaus decides to take Roger's role while he's away, but not without major ruckus being caused.

The pin for a three count is only in Professional Wrestling (my soap opera of choice).

In collegiate wrestling (far as I understand it) someone gets pinned, the ref checks to see if the shoulders are on the mat, and if they are, blows the whistle.

Also, there are rounds.-Last Time Lord

Honestly, my knowledge of sports is very limited (I played soccer since I was 6 yrs and one year of swim and track & field back in high school), but don't different leagues and torments use slightly different rules in wrestling? I have heard that some leagues/clubs for other sports (soccer, American football, etc...) would have different rules, respectively, but would technically play the same game.

Edited by TVspectator, Mar 11, 2012 @ 4:19 PM.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

Barry made a cameo in tonight's Family Guy as a kid at a fat camp, but he really wasn't used at all.

Good to see Steve wised up and had Greg & Terry play his parents so he wouldn't embarrass himself in front of Stan & Francine. And they played along because they're bored.

Hey, finally good to see another episode where Jeff and Hayley are married.

I love Klaus. He is just a bastard, and only because he wants respect. It explains why Roger was sent to Iraq: He has a stamp attached to a shoe. Getting Roger to come home was to change his disguise while he slept? And using the Sgt. Pepper persona to get his ideas across? That was damn clever.

TDA Jake

TDA Jake

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 12:53 AM

Fantastic episode!

To think that Klaus went through this just to get everyone's respect. I'm so glad Roger actually directed everyone's thanks to him. He'd have looked like a bastard if he hadn't.

I loved another reminder that Jeff and Hayley are in fact married. I actually liked him -- no, loved him -- going over to make out with Hayley, even if it was over the sight of Francine's breasts. Still, I loved it being confirmed that they are in fact in love with each other. And hey! It was actually kinda refreshing to see him acting like he was part of the family. Didn't understand what the awkward exchange between him and Stan was all about, though.

But . . . Ultimate Frisbee, Jeff? Really? You're gonna spaz out over that? And you're gonna lie to him over that, Hayley?

InvaderNorbert
Good to see Steve wised up and had Greg & Terry play his parents so he wouldn't embarrass himself in front of Stan & Francine.

Steve didn't do that because he didn't want to embarrass himself. He did it because he didn't want Stan and Francine embarrassing him.

InvaderNorbert
Barry made a cameo in tonight's Family Guy as a kid at a fat camp, but he really wasn't used at all.

Voice actor and all! But the focus was on Peter and Chris, so I really don't think there was any way he could've gotten a better use than that.

Edited by TDA Jake, Mar 12, 2012 @ 1:22 AM.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 8:06 AM

I'm so glad Roger actually directed everyone's thanks to him. He'd have looked like a bastard if he hadn't.

I know! He actually did something nice for a change!

Klaus is now my favorite character on this show. Poor guy.

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 1:16 PM

Didn't understand what the awkward exchange between him and Stan was all about, though.

I think it was a nod to the general weirdness of being in a therapist's office. You wouldn't want to be all cheerful with the previous client - who knows what they might have just been talking about - but you also don't want to be an ass and not acknowledge them.

Edited by JessicaLovejoy, Mar 12, 2012 @ 2:15 PM.

TDA Jake

TDA Jake

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 1:32 PM

Ah, that makes sense. For a moment, I thought it was just Stan trying not to be a jerk to Jeff even though they mended finally fences over a year ago.

Kendall95

Kendall95

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 2:12 PM

I'm so glad Roger actually directed everyone's thanks to him. He'd have looked like a bastard if he hadn't.

That was my favorite part. Wasn't expecting it at all.

Loved Klaus crying over the hookers, while holding a candy bar the whole time.