American Dad

• Please log in to reply

3179 replies to this topic

olvidado

olvidado

Fanatic

Posted Dec 27, 2010 @ 12:00 PM

I think the reason we still love American Dad is that, unlike Family Guy, most of the characters are still likable and funny, in a twisted way.

For me, it's a comparison of a couple corollaries: One show has an annoying football-headed, pamper-filling toddler with a talking/anthropomorphized dog. When I see them, I want to punt the little fucker as hard as I can, and lace the dog's food with crushed up Oxycontins. The other show has an annoying, stereotypical inverted-teardrop-headed alien and a talking goldfish But I LIKE them.

Reuben

Reuben

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 27, 2010 @ 2:44 PM

olvidado
When I see them, I want to punt the little fucker as hard as I can, and lace the dog's food with crushed up Oxycontins.

Rare Stewie hater, I wager?

Sucks we're not getting any new episodes or any new episodes. But you never know. Maybe the new show will actually be good. Or not. We'll see.

Paul O Regan

Paul O Regan

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 27, 2010 @ 5:16 PM

Apparently we're not getting new episodes, let alone reruns, of American Dad on Fox until this new Bob's Burgers show either gets cancelled or is moved to a different time. SON OF A WHORE!

Is there a link for that? When did they decide against the 7:30 airings?

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

Posted Dec 31, 2010 @ 12:20 PM

That sucks!!!! I want new episodes dammit!!! Even if Bob's Burgers might be a good show, I just want it to fail so I can see AD again.

Fuzubanu

Fuzubanu

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 31, 2010 @ 2:54 PM

I'd rather they cancelled Cleveland show than Bob's Burgers. There was a little trailer thing for it before the It's A Trap dvd and I actually thought it was pretty funny. Brought back my joy watching Home Movies.

Glad that Adult Swim is putting American Dad in the 10-11 spot. I really think that this show will benefit from it, like the other shows that FOX cancelled/ignored in the past.

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

Posted Dec 31, 2010 @ 9:43 PM

I also think the American Dad in the 10 pm spot on Adult Swim is an excellent idea. It's a great lead in to Family Guy.

On the whole thing with AD being missing, I actually don't even care if they decided to cancel Cleveland Show or Bob's Burgers, either one goes and I'm happy. But Cleveland Show seems to be raking in higher ratings right now and that makes me worry for AD. If Bob's Burger is a success, I guess we can say goodbye to AD.

Sunny Skies

Sunny Skies

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 2, 2011 @ 11:33 AM

No! They can't cancel American Dad just because of a new show coming! There is plenty of room for both of them, but Bob's Burgers is the newest show and so it deserves the 7:30 time slot. American Dad was actually renewed for a 7th season and the 6th one hasn't even finished airing yet, so we can't jump to conclusions. This is hopefully just an experimental idea and American Dad will get a good time slot again. The good shows shouldn't suffer just because of something new.

Actually, the next episode is premiering on January 16th, 2011. It's called "Fartbreak Hotel." You can find the episode synopsis at Fox.com. I personally don't know what to make of it, but I guess we'll see!

I guess American Dad is accepting the new time slot, Fox's American Dad page posted a 'Twas the Night Before Christmas style recap on the Christmas special, in case people forgot because of the lengthy amount of time until the next episode. Klaus does the commentary, and he makes a point of saying that American Dad will be back on January 16th at 7:30. It kind of sounded like Klaus was trying to show enthusiasm about this but wasn't really thrilled.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2011 @ 1:10 PM

Is there a link for that? When did they decide against the 7:30 airings?

Oops. Just rechecked the Fox schedule. You were right. It will be back on Jan 16 with a new episode at 7:30. Sorry for jumping to conclusions, I just assumed it would be a repeat of the Sons of Tuscons...

lkalways

lkalways

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 2, 2011 @ 3:17 PM

Did they ever continue the running gag about the movie inside the show about the golden turd. The last one I saw was the cop bring it home to his wife and her maybe poisoning him. It may sound crazy but I kind of want to know what happened with that.

Reuben

Reuben

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 2, 2011 @ 4:50 PM

It was concluded in the Rapture episode from last season. They used it as a weapon or something.

lkalways

lkalways

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 2, 2011 @ 5:56 PM

I'll be on the lookout for that episode. Thanks.

starfires

starfires

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 4, 2011 @ 12:01 AM

I think they used it for fuel for Roger's spaceship in the episode to make it fly, or something like that. But still in that episode.

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2011 @ 12:14 AM

They did finish the golden turd thing, but I actually don't even remember since it was a while ago.

I still fear that AD might suffer from ratings drop because of the 7:30 slot, which let's be honest, is a horrible slot. I don't know why Fox would like to experiment and put shows in jeopardy when the ratings aren't really even that bad considering how much goes into making one episode.

Anthony W

Anthony W

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2011 @ 7:07 PM

Just saw the trailer for the movie "Paul". I was suffering from American Dad withdrawal symptoms so I imagined that Roger's voice was coming out of the alien.

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2011 @ 2:15 PM

Glad that Adult Swim is putting American Dad in the 10-11 spot. I really think that this show will benefit from it, like the other shows that FOX cancelled/ignored in the past.

I am thrilled that American Dad is on Adult Swim from 10-11pm. I was getting sick of seeing King of the Hill every nite. Plus Sunday evening isn't a good time for me to watch tv so it being on every night is super PLUS I like that they are airing the episodes in order from the beginning.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Jan 16, 2011 @ 8:10 PM

I'm probably alone in this, but the Somewhere in Time subplot made me squeal all excitedly. I love how this show references things you generally wouldn't think to reference and makes them freaking hilarious. I was more excited than I'd been for a cartoon pop culture reference since The Simpsons did that Heavenly Creatures episode. Which probably sounds like faint praise, but my point is, I freaking loved it. The mainplot was okay, nothing really new (except wait, Francine hates the Chinese? Aren't her parents Chinese? I guess it was just a character thing.) but still entertaining, and I'm starting to enjoy Roger again.

I'm so glad to have this show back!

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 12:29 AM

You're not alone! I knew as soon as the music started playing and it zoomed in on Steve that it was going to be a "Somewhere In Time" reference and loved it! I also liked how it tied in with Francine's storyline at the end. That also reminded me of a Twilight Zone episode where a woman went back in time to try to prevent her younger self from making a mistake. Hector Elizondo was hilarious.

Edited by Limbonaut, Jan 17, 2011 @ 12:31 AM.

Jabua

Jabua

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 2:51 AM

McKay
I'm starting to enjoy Roger again.

I'm . . . not quite there with him yet, but at least he didn't monopolize the episode. He was actually the voice of reason, for once, which was a nice change.

Minimal Stan was also good to see. I like him, but as the title character, he takes center stage almost every week, so the rare episode where he takes a backseat is always nice to see.

Didn't like Francine's plot much, which is odd, as I usually like her storylines. But I liked Steve's a whole lot. Best part is obviously when he finds out he's his own dream girl.

Hayley and Jeff's absence from the episode tells me this might've been intended to be aired before they moved home. Or it was after, but the writers couldn't find a way to work them in.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 3:47 AM

Hector Elizondo was hilarious.

I love it when actors just dive in and send themselves up a little bit. They gave him some nice lines though. "It's next to my Tony." Ha. I've played a concierge in over 400 films to pay the bills for my real passion. Concierge-ing!

I love Roger's characters. They are just out of nowhere. Even Francine was like "really?" when he shot himself with insulin! Even though she suddenly knew how to tap dance!

It's interesting that when Francine wasn't being a housewife that she was pretty successful. It would be cool if she had a job too now.

Stan's plot was great. I actually would have liked to see more of him in the 80s.

A pee pee in the coke joke is never not funny to me. They know math, they know kung fu and they've been going pee pee in our coke for years!

Forn

Forn

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 4:02 PM

I'm probably alone in this, but the Somewhere in Time subplot made me squeal all excitedly. I love how this show references things you generally wouldn't think to reference and makes them freaking hilarious.

It was a good show, but sometimes I think they use these references as an excuse to steal a plot.
Can't think of a good suplot this week? I know, let's parody Mary Poppins. That way we'll have the subplot, all we have to do is write the jokes around it. I'm not saying it doesn't take skill to do that, but you see enough of these parodies on these cartoon shows, and you start thinking they just want to use the storyline.

Having said that, I still like the references. Moreso when they throw little bits in, than when they base the whole show around them though.

Fuzubanu

Fuzubanu

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 4:09 PM

It's interesting that when Francine wasn't being a housewife that she was pretty successful. It would be cool if she had a job too now.

I've always enjoyed seeing episodes where Francine proves to be great at stuff. She was great with the muffin kiosk, proved she still knows how to get backstage when Stan was obsessed with My Morning Sweater, and even did a good job acting as the doctor for the Handicapped Mafia. She was even able to go toe-to-toe with Roger when they pretended to be an old married couple (before things went so, so right).

On the other hand, Stan seems to flounder when he is on his own. I'm watching the episode where Stan and Francine get a divorce so he will have meaningless sex and get over Francine sleeping around before they met, and it is hilarious watching him try to hit on ladies. "INTERCOURSE!"

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 4:23 PM

Don't forget that in Stan Time, Francine became a published marine biologist in about the space of a week!

My Morning Sweater

I don't know if this was done purposely, but it's making me chuckle.

Edited by JessicaLovejoy, Jan 17, 2011 @ 4:23 PM.

Fuzubanu

Fuzubanu

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 4:40 PM

I'm going to say it was done purposely. Any time I mess up something it is totally intentional.

And I had forgotten about the marine biology plot. That was another great one where you saw Francine succeeding on her own while Stan floundered.

I caught myself trying to see if I could see what color socks Stan has on in earlier episodes, to know which he wanted to put on this week.

GeoBQn

GeoBQn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 4:52 PM

Blue suit, it should be navy blue socks.

I'm watching the episode where Stan and Francine get a divorce so he will have meaningless sex and get over Francine sleeping around before they met, and it is hilarious watching him try to hit on ladies. "INTERCOURSE!"

FOREPLAY, THEN INTERCOURSE!

dougfir

dougfir

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 7:59 PM

Haven't seen Somewhere In Time so I didn't know what they were parodying (some Reese Witherspoon romcom? some Stephen King non-horror story?) until I read this thread, but I still enjoyed the ep.

The shot of downtown Portland was pretty accurate (right down to the Hawthorne Bridge), so someone was obviously doing their homework.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2011 @ 10:56 AM

I'm probably alone in this, but the Somewhere in Time subplot made me squeal all excitedly.

Me too. Not a particularly fan of the movie, but it holds sentimental value. And Steve was dressed up like Marty McFly in Back to the Future!

Loved this episode, but I'm still adjusting myself to the new 7:30 timeslot. No matter how disappointed I was with FG, watching AD at 9:30 always helped me end Sunday night on a high note.

valdawn

valdawn

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2011 @ 5:27 PM

Loved the beginning with Francine and the same shit different day. I was right there with her because I know how she feels.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2011 @ 6:58 PM

Haven't seen Somewhere In Time so I didn't know what they were parodying (some Reese Witherspoon romcom? some Stephen King non-horror story?) until I read this thread, but I still enjoyed the ep.

Christopher Reeve learns to time travel via hypnosis to meet the girl of his dreams, played by Jane Seymour. Based on a novel by Richard Matheson.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Jan 19, 2011 @ 12:08 AM

I wasn't aware of the movie that the episode was based on, but I liked it just fine anyway. Which is a credit to the writing that I can enjoy it, while you all who knew the movie got a little extra kick.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Jan 19, 2011 @ 2:46 AM

I've only watched parts of the movie and not for a long time. I remember thinking what a weird method of traveling through time it showed and that Jane Seymour looking unbelievably beautiful. Also the John Barry's score is great. The trailer is as super-romantic(no pun intended). Seeing it makes me wish Steve really did meet his dream girl!