American Dad

• Please log in to reply

3179 replies to this topic

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Jan 26, 2005 @ 9:38 PM

This new series from Seth MacFarlane features an ultra-conservative dad and his equally liberal daughter, plus other family members which include a fugitive alien. EW describes it as All in the Family meets Alias. I predict it'll last three episodes after Fox gets done screwing with the schedule.

Alyna Kuirt

Alyna Kuirt

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2005 @ 12:58 AM

I'm just afraid Seth will be too influenced by Family Guy. Think about it: 6 members in the family. 2 members talking who definitely shouldn't be. The "pet" type seeming to be in love with the mother & wife. Cutaways (Seth said they'll relate to the episode of AD they're in, but still).

I predict it'll last three episodes after Fox gets done screwing with the schedule.

Heh, word.

Edited by Alyna Kuirt, Jan 27, 2005 @ 12:58 AM.

brandmed

brandmed

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2005 @ 9:46 PM

I'm really excited about this show, but I second both of your fears of cancellation and being too similar to FG.

Engage

Engage

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 31, 2005 @ 6:12 PM

Do the voices in this one all seem to be "B" voices to anyone else?

Kind of like Family Guy contained all the voices that came easily, and these almost sound forced?

RabidChipmnk

RabidChipmnk

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2005 @ 4:58 AM

To me Stan is a cross between Mr. Pewterschmidt and Joe. The alien didn't seem particularly forced to me, but then again I've only seen the 6-minute pilot thing, so. I guess we'll find out Sunday.

StickyKeys

StickyKeys

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2005 @ 6:47 AM

It actually got a pretty good write up in EW so we'll see.

RabidChipmnk

RabidChipmnk

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2005 @ 9:11 PM

Haha, really??? EW?? Aren't they notorious for hating FG?

There was a not-too-favorable Variety review on American Dad.

painter

painter

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2005 @ 1:58 AM

Somebody, PLEASE stop Seth McFarlane. You don't have to be gentle.

Canadian Tyler

Canadian Tyler

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2005 @ 2:06 AM

Is this show supposed to be a spin-off of Family Guy or something, all the characters I've seen look very close to Family Guy...maybe it's the same animator or something.

Alyna Kuirt

Alyna Kuirt

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2005 @ 2:08 AM

"
Ladies and gentlemen, Canadian Tyler just validated my fears. I love Family Guy and the whole she-bang, but I rillllly don't want it to be like Family Guy's kid brother or something.

StickyKeys

StickyKeys

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2005 @ 9:47 AM

I think it was stated that this was to come out when FG was cancelled and never to return. AD (hmm, lucky initials?) has about the same makeup as FG, but the story line is a bit different. I think they'll be a little more political where FG is pure pop culture satire.

At least I hope so.

And, there was one reviewer at EW that hated FG, but I think the mag as a whole loves it.

Screamie

Screamie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2005 @ 5:16 PM

I've never been a fan of Family Guy, but the AD scene where the Dad gets the "gay call" is going to make me tune in for the premiere.

That, and anything with the initials AD can't be all that bad.

brandmed

brandmed

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2005 @ 7:39 PM

That, and anything with the initials AD can't be all that bad.

Word! I really hope I like it, but the increasing amount of reviews/press/etc. I've been reading say it's just a pale imitation of FG. I pray they are wrong. Fingers crossed.

glitter5579

glitter5579

Stalker

Posted Feb 2, 2005 @ 9:33 PM

The first time I saw AD (I was suckered into buying the Freakin' Sweet DVD) I said, "Oh look, Joe can walk!" It looked exactly like Family Guy and I found myself anxious for Peter, Brian and Stewie to randomly appear. I think this show was created to replace FG, but now that FG is back it has no purpose. I did however laugh outloud when he launched the gum across the street thinking it was a bomb, I'll give them that.

Alyna Kuirt

Alyna Kuirt

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2005 @ 11:36 PM

Yeah, me too (about the gum).

Stan actually reminds me more of Quagmire than Joe. I think it's the shape of his head or something. He's got that big ass-looking chin (versus the usual testicle-looking chin).

Clockstomper24

Clockstomper24

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2005 @ 12:23 AM

The show was made before FG's renewal, so the similarities may have been out of Seth's desire to make more FG. Hopefully when the production of episodes catches up to when FOX renewed FG, Seth will have done something to differentiate the two shows.

RabidChipmnk

RabidChipmnk

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2005 @ 1:03 AM

And, there was one reviewer at EW that hated FG, but I think the mag as a whole loves it.

Hmm, I was just basing that on the fact that Seth/FG has taken several jabs at EW.

From what I've heard, the show is supposed to be a more political FG, like FG meets All in the Family. Anyway, I'm gonna give it at least a few eps, because I love FG and besides, I'm already watching FOX Sunday nights anyway. :D

(I've taken to calling it ADad myself, just to eliminate confusion between American Dad and the other (inevitably better) AD.)

nothing new

nothing new

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2005 @ 9:27 AM

Given Seth MacFarlane's lack of talent (he does everything, but badly), I'm not optimistic, but Fox always treats his shows with kid gloves -- eg renewing Family Guy for 50 episodes despite the terrible ratings -- so ADad is likely to get lots of promotion and probably stick around a couple of seasons. But the whole FG cult-phenomenon thing isn't likely to happen again.

It was Ken Tucker, Entertainment Weekly's TV critic, who hated Family Guy. (FG was even going to do a scene where Peter said "up yours, Ken Tucker," but it got cut.) He's no longer at EW, so the magazine doesn't bash the show as much. Though it should.

Alyna Kuirt

Alyna Kuirt

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2005 @ 12:44 PM

[Entirely off topic]
What's the "other" AD? Arrested Development or something?
[/cipot ffo yleritne]

RabidChipmnk

RabidChipmnk

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2005 @ 9:52 PM

Given Seth MacFarlane's lack of talent (he does everything, but badly)

I'm just gonna have to disagree with you there. Whatever you may thing about the rest of his work, he has a wonderful singing voice.

What's the "other" AD? Arrested Development or something?

Yep. You should watch it. :) [/shameless plug]

Alyna Kuirt

Alyna Kuirt

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2005 @ 11:15 PM

he has a wonderful singing voice

<Channeling Loretta's voice>Mm-hmm.
One of the greatest examples is in Brian Wallows And Peter's Swallows, in the "You've Got A Lot To Seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" song.

And I think Seth himself said it best: "People either love [Family Guy and his style of animation], or they completely hate it. There's no middle ground."

I may end up liking this show, but to me, it'll never be as good as the original.

StickyKeys

StickyKeys

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2005 @ 3:02 AM

He's no longer at EW, so the magazine doesn't bash the show as much.

When did he leave EW? Last I read there was an article by him.

I love FG and think that if they take this show in the right direction, it will thrive. Love Seth and think he can almost do no wrong.

bbf2

bbf2

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2005 @ 8:09 PM

Yeah, the family make up is entirely too much like Family Guy. You have the father, mother (who for all intents and purposes looks like she'll act in pretty much the exact same manner as Lois) liberal older daughter, younger dorky son, and then a sarcastic, mature talking alien that looks to be a clone of Brian, as well as the evil goldfish who seems to be the same mold as Stewie. It should do okay for awhile, but once FG starts up again, I predict that it will go on Seth's backburner and die out.

Edited by bbf2, Feb 5, 2005 @ 8:10 PM.

StickyKeys

StickyKeys

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2005 @ 1:38 AM

all intents and purposes

Heh, Sars would be so proud!

I had a comepletely different take on the family which may be why this show might work.

Dad - Joe
Mom - A little more Bonnie than Lois
Son - Neil Goldman
Daughter - we were actually together, only she's nothing like Meg to me.
Fish - Brian/Quagmire
Alien - Stewie

This is of course only because of the FS preview.

Also, on the FS collection, I couldn't sit through the Season 4 highlight thing, does he ever talk about season 4?

RabidChipmnk

RabidChipmnk

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2005 @ 2:22 AM

Also, on the FS collection, I couldn't sit through the Season 4 highlight thing, does he ever talk about season 4?

At the end he does, he talks about upcoming storylines and stuff.

If you go to fox.com they have some more clips of ADad (not like it's airing tomorrow or anything...) but anyway, they've changed the voice and design of Steve from what's on the FS collection. ...I think I like the first one better, but hey, any show that blows up Hilary Duff is cool by me.

ParasiteTwin

ParasiteTwin

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2005 @ 2:35 AM

I love Family Guy and the whole she-bang, but I rillllly don't want it to be like Family Guy's kid brother or something.

After checking out those show clips, ADad does seem to be like FG's little brother. But I guess I'll make my final assessment tomorrow after it airs. If all goes well, this can tie me over until FG returns.

I think the son's cute, even though he does remind one of Neil Goldman. He's nerdy, but not in a Napoleon Dynamite mouth breather kind of way.

BTW, I like the ADad abbreviation. It's like A-Rod, but a billion times cooler.

jase-bot

jase-bot

Stalker

Posted Feb 6, 2005 @ 3:42 AM

The clips at the AD site are hilarious - "Don't play coy with me, you cardiganed jezebel! I have photographic evidence of you having sexual relations with the Creature from the Black Lagoon!" [cue photo with girl's head taped onto actual photo of woman in bed with Creature from the Black Lagoon]

I don't care about the similarities, I think it looks fucking priceless. Cannot.wait.

RabidChipmnk

RabidChipmnk

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2005 @ 7:54 AM

But I guess I'll make my final assessment tomorrow after it airs. If all goes well, this can tie me over until FG returns.

Hehe, but unfortunately the actual ADad season doesn't start until May 1, when FG returns, and making the most bitchingly awesome hour and a half of programming ever.

ParasiteTwin

ParasiteTwin

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2005 @ 12:43 PM

Dang, so it's just a sneak preview. Thanks for clearing that up, RabidChipmnk.

The alien (Roger) sounds a little too much like Snagglepuss, to make a non-FG comparison.

Alyna Kuirt

Alyna Kuirt

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2005 @ 1:47 PM

So do we have a time on when its sneak peek is airing today?