Looney Tunes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

301 replies to this topic

muchsarcasm

muchsarcasm

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2005 @ 4:57 PM

Despite having watched each short dozen times, I still love the Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies shorts. They've been playing on TV for several decades and it's amazing how well they've held up.

Elmer: "It's rabbit season and I'm gonna bwast you."
Bugs: "Ok. Do you want to shoot me now or wait 'til you get home?"
Daffy: "Shoot him now! Shoot him now!"
Bugs: "Oh, you be quiet. He doesn't have to shoot you now."
Daffy: "Well I say he does have to shoot me now. So shoot me now!"
BLAM

There just aren't a lot of cartoons today that appeal to both little kids and grown-ups. I blame this on Klasky-Csupo.

So what are your favorite Looney Tunes?

Jess Sayin

Jess Sayin

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2005 @ 3:55 PM

Despite all the "new" cartoons, for me, Bugs Bunny & Friends will always rule!

Arguing in front of Elmer:

Daffy: "It's Wabbit Season." (points gun at Bugs)

Bugs: "Duck Season." (points gun at Daffy)

D: "Wabbit Season." (pgaB)

B: "Duck Season." (pgaD)

D: "Wabbit Season." (pgaB)

B: "Wabbit Season." (pivots the gun, but points it back at himself)

D: "Duck Season -FIRE!" (as he quickly grabs the gun and points it at himself)

(after smoke clears, shot of beak on Daffy's head)

D: "You're dissssthpeccable."

Comedy gold, I tell ya.

Fearless Freep

Fearless Freep

Posted Apr 28, 2005 @ 4:58 PM

I like 'em all, but I never really got over being written out of the one with Yosemite Sam and Bugs on the high dive. < Sigh. >

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2005 @ 7:29 PM

Hee. Ah, memories. My favorites were the Duck season!/Wabbit season! routines, the totally random ones where the artists would just start screwing with Bugs or Daffy or whomever, Knighty-Knight Bugs (dragons is so stupid!), Birds Anonymous (I was a three bird a day pussycat...), any of the Sylvester and Son ones (Oh, the SHAME...), and the classic Duck Dodgers in the 24th and a Half Century.

I'm sure there are plenty more that I'm forgetting.

Also, it must be said that I vastly preferred conniving Daffy to "woohoo!woohoo!" Daffy.

Edited by McKay, Apr 28, 2005 @ 7:30 PM.

Lux Lisbon

Lux Lisbon

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 4, 2005 @ 1:24 AM

Duck Dodgers

*Threatening Marvin the Martian) "Prepare for my Magnificent Disintegrating Pistol! And when it disintegrates, it disintegrates!"

*Pulls trigger.. gun turns to dust in Daffy's hand*

"Huh.. whadaayaknow, it.. disintegrated.."

Edited by Lux Lisbon, Jul 4, 2005 @ 1:24 AM.

ParasiteTwin

ParasiteTwin

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2005 @ 2:28 AM

A couple of obscure shorts I loved were the one with the squirrel who desperately tried to crack open a coconut. And the second was with the dog who'd use a cat and mouse to get food and always say, "What? No gravy?"

muchsarcasm

muchsarcasm

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 4, 2005 @ 3:23 AM

Also, it must be said that I vastly preferred conniving Daffy to "woohoo!woohoo!" Daffy.

Definitely! We all know the great Daffy/Bugs cartoons, but if you compate the woo-hoo Daffy/Porky vs. conniving Daffy/Porky and it's no contest, whether he's trying to sell him black eye insurance or playing Robin Hood.

DAFFY: "I'll rob that rich person and give it to some poor deserving slob.
That'll *prove* I'm Robin Hood."

A couple of obscure shorts I loved were the one with the squirrel who desperately tried to crack open a coconut. And the second was with the dog who'd use a cat and mouse to get food and always say, "What? No gravy?"

I loved both of those. IMO, there were very few bad Looney Tunes shorts.

An obscure cartoon I also like is the one where the two mice gorge themselves on so much cheese that they decide to kill themselves. They keep trying to jump into the cat's mouth, which eventually confuses him so much that he tries to kill himself via the neighbor's dog. "It don't add up!"

El Guapo

El Guapo

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2005 @ 7:54 PM

Elmer: "It's rabbit season and I'm gonna bwast you."
Bugs: "Ok. Do you want to shoot me now or wait 'til you get home?"
Daffy: "Shoot him now! Shoot him now!"
Bugs: "Oh, you be quiet. He doesn't have to shoot you now."
Daffy: "Well I say he does have to shoot me now. So shoot me now!"
BLAM

Hmmm. Pronoun trouble.

Definitely, and one of my all time favorites was Hassan Chop (which come to think of it, would be a good screen name):

Daffy to Bugs: "Down, Down, Down! Mine! Mine! Mine! Go, Go, Go!"
"I'm rich. I'm wealthy! I'm comfortably well-off."

Everytime I pass Pismo Beach on the 101, I think of Bugs taking a wrong turn at Albuquerque.

potzrebie

potzrebie

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 13, 2005 @ 2:12 PM

Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol. 3 will be released on DVD October 24, 2005. It appears to be the best compilation yet.

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Oct 13, 2005 @ 10:50 PM

I love Bugs as a Genie. The thing he does before granting Hassan his wish. Just cracks me up.

cjl

cjl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2005 @ 2:04 PM

Looney Toons volume 3 will have "A Hare Grows in Manhattan," one of my all-time favorites:

She's the daughter of Rosie O'Grady
A regular, old fashioned girl
[Bugs to gang o' dogs: "Look at me, fellas, I'm dancin'!"]
She isn't crazy for diamond rings
Silkins and satins and fancy things
She's just a sweet little lady
And when you meet her, you'll see
Why I'm glad I called up the daughter of Rosie O'Grady

"Dog pile on the rabbit! Dog pile on the rabbit!"

clarkins

clarkins

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2005 @ 2:25 PM

Looney Toons.
Best there ever was.
Best there ever is.
Best there ever will be.

I will not damage my retinas by looking at the new revamped LT. Old School all the way.

potzrebie

potzrebie

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 14, 2005 @ 3:33 PM

Vol. 3 also has "Hillbilly Hare", with Bugs Bunny calling a square dance for a couple of hillbillies. "Thanks just all to pieces".

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Oct 15, 2005 @ 1:09 AM

Oooooh, we're the chorus brothers
We hope you like our show
We know you're rooting for us
But now we have to gooooo!

ArchStanton

ArchStanton

Posted Oct 15, 2005 @ 12:27 PM

I love "Hillbilly Hare"! One of my favorite Robert McKimson-directed shorts, along with the one where Bugs goes to Australia.

dougfir

dougfir

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2005 @ 1:08 PM

...the dog who'd use a cat and mouse to get food and always say, "What? No gravy?"

Ah, yes.... and then the greedy mutt gets his comeuppance in the finale after he's eaten himself into total immobility, and the cat and mouse come up to him with evil looks on their faces saying "This time we didn't forget the gravy" - then stick a funnel in his mouth and start pouring what looks like a 50-gallon drum of gravy.

One of my favorite Bugs/Yosemite Sam matchups is when Bugs tries to thwart Sam's plans to get his hands on the inheritance of a wealthy widow (Granny, taking a break from protecting Tweety from Sylvester). "Boo-hoo-hoo... always a bridesmaid but never a bride!"

candynecklace

candynecklace

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2005 @ 1:12 PM

I can't think of one that wasn't cartoon gold.

One of my favorite Bugs 'toons was when "Baby" wanted rabbit for dinner in the restaurant and Elmer had a heck of a time trying to roast Bugs for Baby's dinner. "Baby" was Lauren Bacall, Bogie was there (funny scene when Bugs thought he was going to blow him away) and other Hollywood actors were portrayed in it too-Peter Lorre and Clark Gable and I think more. Great cartoon caricatures of all of them. How cool is that?

nothing new

nothing new

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2005 @ 1:35 PM

"Hillbilly Hare" makes life worth living. And it's on the new DVD. Life is good.

Promenade across the floor
Sashay right on out the door
Out the door and in to the glade
And everybody promenade
Step right up, you're doing fine
I'll pull your beard, you pull mine
Yank it again, like you did before
Break it up with a tug of war
Now into the brook and fish for the trout
Dive right in and splash about
Trout, trout, pretty little trout
One more splash and come right out
Shake like a hound dog, shake again
Wallow around in the old pig pen
Wallow some more, you all know how
Roll around like an old fat sow
Allemande left with your left hand
Follow through with a right-left grand
Now lead your partner, the dirty old thing
Follow through with an elbow swing
Grab a fence post, hold it tight
Whomp your partner with all your might
Hit him in the shin, hit him in the head
Hit him again, the critter ain't dead
Wop him low and wop him high
Stick your finger in his eye
Pretty little rhythm, pretty little sound
Bang your heads against the ground
Promenade all around the room
Promenade like a bride and groom
Open up the door and step right in
Close the door and into a spin
Whirl, whirl, twist and twirl
Jump all around like a flying squirrel
Now don't you cuss and don't you swear
Just come right out and form a square
Now right hand over and left hand under
Both join hands and run like thunder
Over the hill and over the dale
Duck your head and lift your tail
Don't you stray and don't you roam
Turn it around and promenade home
Corn in the crib pen, wheat in the sack
Turn your partner, promenade back
And now you're home
Bow to your partner
Bow to the gent across the hall
And that is all!

jessbart

jessbart

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 31, 2005 @ 11:33 PM

I love me the Looney Tunes, having grown up watching The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show on ABC every Saturday. One thing always made me wonder though. It made perfect sense to me to have Sylvester as Speedy Gonzales' antagonist. You know, hungry cat+fast mouse=hilarity. Why was Daffy another one of Speedy's nemeses? Is there some sort of duck/mouse dynamic I never learned from Wild Kingdom, or is Daffy just a jerk? I know I'm reading too much into this.

pillboxhat

pillboxhat

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 4:25 AM

I can't think of one that wasn't cartoon gold.

One of my favorite Bugs 'toons was when "Baby" wanted rabbit for dinner in the restaurant and Elmer had a heck of a time trying to roast Bugs for Baby's dinner. "Baby" was Lauren Bacall, Bogie was there (funny scene when Bugs thought he was going to blow him away) and other Hollywood actors were portrayed in it too-Peter Lorre and Clark Gable and I think more. Great cartoon caricatures of all of them. How cool is that?

That was one of the coolest. I only saw it once and it was cartoon love at first sight. Hillbilly Hare, High Diving Hare and What's Opera Doc are three classic favourites of mine.

It was a shame there was no sign of 'Mac n Tosh', the gophers on the DVDs. They were total gold.

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 5:34 PM

One of mine is the one with the bulldog and the wee little kitten. He sneaks a kitten home and it gets into some cookie batter. He thinks his mistress baked the kitten and he cries as she gives him a kitten shaped cookie.

Lux Lisbon

Lux Lisbon

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 6:28 PM

One of mine is the one with the bulldog and the wee little kitten. He sneaks a kitten home and it gets into some cookie batter. He thinks his mistress baked the kitten and he cries as she gives him a kitten shaped cookie.

Oh gosh, that is one of the funniest things I have ever seen. The first time I ever saw it, I literally fell on the floor laughing when the dog's mistress goes "Aww, you look sad. Would you like a cookie?" and hands him the kitty shaped cookie. The look on the dog's face is priceless. And then he mournfully places the cookie on his back like he used to do with the real kitten. Comedy gold.

This short apparently inspired the scene in Monsters Inc. when Sully thinks Boo is being turned in to a cube and makes all those horrified faces.

Edited by Lux Lisbon, Nov 19, 2005 @ 6:33 PM.

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 7:06 PM

That's what I heard too. The similarities are uncanny. Sully even holds the cube of crushed garbage and cries.

H20loo

H20loo

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 8:38 PM

Does the kitten have a name? Because I know the dog's name is Marc Antony

Isaboe

Isaboe

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 9:00 PM

I like the operas. Barber of Seville and the one with Bugs riding that fat horse down the hill. "Returnnn my looove, I want you always beside me"!
The ones where Bugs is always digging to get to Pismo Beach and ends up in Antarctica or some weird place. "I knew I should have taken that left turn at Albuquerque" and "why did they put the south so far south?"
Oh yeah, and the ones with Bugs and the mob.

Angora Deb

Angora Deb

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 9:31 PM

The kitten is called Pussyfoot. S/he and Marc Anthony were in a few others together.

pillboxhat

pillboxhat

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 10:36 PM

Let's not forget that giant orange haired beastie Gossamer in all of this. I love the one, with Bugs and Gossamer in Frankenstein's castle and Bugs remarks (hope I get this quote right):

"Such an innnnnnnnnnnnnteresting monster deserves an innnnnnnnnnnnnteresting hairdo."

and then promptly blows up Gossamer.

Lux Lisbon

Lux Lisbon

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 2, 2005 @ 8:24 PM

I like the operas.

Yesterday at the mall they were playing Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries and I instinctively started singing "Kill the WAB-bit, Kill the WAB-bit, Kill the WAB-bit!". And when I hear the Tannhauser Overture I can't not hear 'Return My Love' in my head.

fitzwits

fitzwits

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 8, 2006 @ 5:02 PM

I've been wanting to ask this question for a long time, and I know that TWoP would be my savior.

It's an episode, where Bugs Bunny is in Sherwood Forest. It's the one where Bugs convinces the Sheriff of Nottingham, to buy a house on the Royal Garden.

There is an exchange of dialogue, towards the end of the episode - that I can't fully remember.

I've seen this episode on teletoon, many times - but they always edit out the part I am trying to remember. I think because Bugs whacks the Sheriff, a good 5-6 times. Anyways, this is how it somewhat goes:

Bugs as the King: Sheriff of Nottingham. In gratitude of your service, I shall knight thee.

Sheriff of Nottingham: You are too kind.

Bugs as the King: In the name of...Arise(fill in the blank)

Bugs as the King: Arise(fill in the blank)

etc.

At this point: that's when the Sheriff, starts to sing, "London Bridges".

Much appreciated, if my fellow TWoPpers can help me on this.

Jess Sayin

Jess Sayin

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2006 @ 5:33 PM

I'm sure one is "Arise, Sir Loin of Beef" as I say that to juniorJess all the time (much to his chagrin). Youth is wasted on the young.

I think another may be "Duke of Earl" but I'm not positive. I'm sure other clever TwoPers will be able to fill in the rest of the blanks. But I do love this episode, epecially when Bugs talks the King into buying a chunk of land for which to build a house and in the middle of mid-hammering, the King finally realizes he's been had. Good times.