Jason Dohring: Yes, He's Married.

• Please log in to reply

1039 replies to this topic

depudor

depudor

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2005 @ 12:53 AM

I think the arms are new. He's been working out. Definitely did not have the guns firing earlier in the season.

I'm glad he's lightening his hair. The closer he gets to blonde, the prettier he looks. It plays so nicely off those golden-brown eyes.

Apparently his sisters were with him at the Dallas event. Too bad no one got a Dohring family photo; I'm wondering how the kids turned out. Seem to be red-heads, which is cool.

Must be weird to be in a family of five kids and be the only one who's not a twin. Perhaps he married so young to combat a sense of isolation.

KeyserSoze

KeyserSoze

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2005 @ 7:29 AM

Okay, but really? Someone posted a link to a photo of Jason & Francis on the cast appearances thread and he has freakishly LARGE arms! I don't know if he's flexing (please god) or what, because otherwise his arms are out of control - especially compared to the rest of him. No wonder they don't show him in t-shirts - he would look way too old.

Actually, in person they look foine...I mean...fine. I think the camera and the t-shirt might might just be accentuating them a bit there. This comes from a girl who likes her guys lanky and not all that built, but the size didn't stick out at me in person.

I think the problem might be that we haven't seen Logan's arms in a looong time. Pilot flashback, maybe? I could be wrong about the episode but he definitely wasn't lifting back then.

Edited by KeyserSoze, May 2, 2005 @ 7:30 AM.

firestarter

firestarter

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2005 @ 8:32 AM

Someone posted a link to a photo of Jason & Francis on the cast appearances thread and he has freakishly LARGE arms! I don't know if he's flexing (please god) or what, because otherwise his arms are out of control...

The words each make sense separately, it's in English and all, but I have no clue what the meaning is. Heh. Jay's got god arms--he's almost at Jamie Bamber level cute-boy guns. Don't listen to any criticism, Mr. Dohring. Keep pumping that iron.

Edited by firestarter, May 2, 2005 @ 8:35 AM.

Minkey

Minkey

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 2, 2005 @ 8:52 AM

Aww... Jason's arms are really nice. I noticed that he has a really nice upper torso in the AEFC. He's wearing a white shirt with a green stripe down the side and I think he looks really solid.

firestarter, I think you're dead on. :)

vogue500

vogue500

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2005 @ 11:44 AM

I like some nice arms, but that picture has them looking very strange. But since I haven't seen him in person, I'll take your words for it that they're hot instead of abnormal.

snoopypez

snoopypez

Video Archivist

Posted May 2, 2005 @ 4:21 PM

I noticed that he has a really nice upper torso in the AEFC. He's wearing a white shirt with a green stripe down the side and I think he looks really solid.

I noticed that too, in the same episode. However, he was half naked at the time. ;)

I half agree with all of you on the arms. I like 'em a biiiit less.. big. But I also don't find them abnormal. Hee.

ostentatious

ostentatious

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2005 @ 4:29 PM

I'm an equal opportunity lech. I like the big arms, I like the skinny boys, I like 'em all. But I do think that the more JD expands, the less believable he is as a teenager. There were some pre-season pics of him doing costume shoots linked elsethread and the gangliness really helped give the impression that he was younger. The more he pumps, the older he looks, so I do wish for the sake of the character he'd back off. It's pretty, but it's distracting.

Minkey

Minkey

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 2, 2005 @ 4:32 PM

I'm an equal opportunity lech. I like the big arms, I like the skinny boys, I like 'em all. But I do think that the more JD expands, the less believable he is as a teenager. There were some pre-season pics of him doing costume shoots linked elsethread and the gangliness really helped give the impression that he was younger. The more he pumps, the older he looks, so I do wish for the sake of the character he'd back off. It's pretty, but it's distracting.

ITA. I don't want Jason to fall into the same trap that Ben McKenzie has on the OC. The more pumped he gets the less he looks like a highschooler.

depudor

depudor

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2005 @ 5:20 PM

Isn't Ben McKenzie 27? I think the only thing that allows him to play a teenager is the fact that he's short.

Jason's problem is that he's tall, so when he buffs up, he definitely looks like a grown man. Despite what a good actor he is, I have a hard time remembering that he's supposed to be a kid. In fact, when I read the scripts, I at times find myself picturing someone else in my head, someone much younger. I think it's a combination of JD's physical size (it doesn't help that he towers over Kristen) and his natural confidence and charisma. Logan on paper is not that confident or that charismatic. That being said, I certainly wouldn't want any other actor to play Logan.

Did I post this before? I'm having this weird deja vu feeling.

ETA:

Logan in a wifebeater.... mmmmmm.

Edited by depudor, May 2, 2005 @ 5:22 PM.

para

para

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2005 @ 6:20 PM

I don't know, but JD can play kid very convincingly. In his nightime scene with Haaron in Return of the Kane (when Haaron throws him onto the couch), he looks seriously like kid who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Very young, very small, very juvenile delinquent. More recently, only his goofy faces kind of remind me that he is supposed to be seventeen, when he is serious, he looks like he should be in college.

BTW does anyone remember Chardo? Weevil looks like a high schooler compared to him. Logan is in elementary school when compared with Chardo.

Edited by para, May 2, 2005 @ 7:06 PM.

arabian

arabian

Posted May 2, 2005 @ 6:38 PM

Honestly, I'm so used to seeing adults so clearly playing "teenagers" on television, that I pretty much am immune to the unreality of it. I just happily accept willing suspension of disbelief. At this point, Percy is the only one who is believable as a teenager to me anymore. And hey if hot!Jason with killer guns is the price I have to pay to suspend that disbelief just a little bit more, I'm willing.

Very willing.

Minkey

Minkey

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 2, 2005 @ 7:02 PM

Very willing.

Moi aussi. :)

sunworshipper

sunworshipper

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2005 @ 7:05 PM

Those two pimply-faced kids in MAD, to whom Veronica said, "It's all fun and games until you get my foot up your ass", looked so much younger than the usual "teens" on the show. I think they were supposed to be freshmen but they looked like junior high kids compared to KB. In real life, I'll bet they might be the only actors anywhere near 18 on the set.

I don't really pay attention to how old JD or KB look. I'm used to the fiction of 20-somethings playing teens. It's only when they mix in real teens that I notice.

Video Archivist, yea!

Babsonite

Babsonite

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2005 @ 9:32 PM

Logan in a wifebeater.... mmmmmm

I think I just died and went to heaven!! Or fainted for a little bit...

So about the scientology thing...I was reading about the different stages of it, and it said when members reach the last stage they normally go raving mad, if they haven't already. Anyone know what stage Jason is in?

ostentatious

ostentatious

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2005 @ 1:32 AM

He's "clear" IIRC, which means he's, err...done. And I don't know about the going mad thing. Never heard that. Going bankrupt, yes, but as rich as his dad is that wouldn't be a problem. =)

Edited by ostentatious, May 3, 2005 @ 1:34 AM.

JenJenL

JenJenL

Posted May 3, 2005 @ 7:14 PM

I know it has already been written a lot, but I just had to share my kudos for JD on the acting. I can't remember when, if ever, I have seen such talent from such a relatively young and unknown actor. I wish the show would have submitted RotK to the Emmy committee, because in it we see the BEST of JD- frightened, resigned, insincere happiness, disgust. The belt/closet scene alone should have won it for him. As has been stated before, he uses his whole body to communicate with the audience- especially the eyes. It is just amazing.

There is one scene that puzzles me though. In MAD, when Logan watches Veronica go to fix her lipstick, I can't for the life of me figure out what he is thinking.

On a totally different note, his wife is a Scientologist too, so hopefully they will have a long and successful marriage and buck the Hollywood failure rate.

kissyboots

kissyboots

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2005 @ 7:32 PM

There is one scene that puzzles me though. In MAD, when Logan watches Veronica go to fix her lipstick, I can't for the life of me figure out what he is thinking.

'I am going to kill my father in his sleep tonight for interrupting me before I could tap that ass?'

I think he just looked kind of dumbfounded that he had managed to bag Veronica, and not just in the sexual sense.

jacedes

jacedes

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2005 @ 9:03 AM

Ha! But I agree, kissyboots. I think he was just amazed that He was with Veronica and they had just been making out on the couch.

I loved JD's line delivery from ATttD. Even "small" lines like the allergic to shellfish part are delivered perfectly. And the best was when he told Dick that if he had a problem with Veronica, he was dead to him. Beautiful scene. JD is definitely my favorite actor these days. Logan would be so dramatically different if he were portrayed by anyone else. And that would be bad.

pacifica

pacifica

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 4, 2005 @ 2:04 PM

The thing about Jason is that he's an amazing actor when it comes to the romantic scenes. He knows how to do the googly eyes that make girls melt. He knows how to kiss to make it look more passionate. And just in this latest episode in the scene when V tells Logan about the non-rape, she looked down at one point and he lowered his head down too to get a good look at her like he was seriously concerned about her well-being. That gave me warm feelings just watching that. And watching his other body language gives me warm feelings too. Even such a subtle act tells me that Jason knows how to treat a girl; he knows how to make girls feel mushy; he knows what a girl needs, which is affection and adoration. His wife is one lucky woman.

Juliebijoux

Juliebijoux

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2005 @ 2:26 PM

I know that JD's ressemblance to Edward Norton has been noted in this thread and others, but when I was watching the ep last night my brother came in during the shellfish scene and was like, "Hey there, Edward Norton."

I just thought it was funny b/c he has only seen a couple of eps and they haven't had Logan in them and he got the Edward Norton vibe from just one little scene. Not that I don't think that JD has potential to become like a billion times more famous than EN.

JenJenL

JenJenL

Posted May 4, 2005 @ 3:00 PM

Pacifica, I agree about him lowering his head move. When I watch tv usually I think "wow, that person is acting really scared, mad, happy, etc." But when I watch VM I think, "wow, that person really *is* scared, mad, happy, etc." And Logan/JD most of all has some very subtle emotions, some even layered, to portray. That last make out scene, I totally got the feeling that he was being sincere, yet underneeath like 10 layers there was a hint of desperation/creep so that we viewers would suspect him, without Veronica suspecting him and without it being too over the top. (The first time I watched it I thought creepy, but after that, all of the other things he is doing, thinking, and feeling come to the surface.) I am just so in love with JD's Logan. Sigh.

outoffashion

outoffashion

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2005 @ 8:26 PM

I love the mannerisms Jason has pretty much given Logan... the way he always has to do some sort of trick with whatever object he has in his hands (either keys or the screwdriver) and the way he sort of sighs, when he lets all the air come from the bottom lip up (I guess that's a good way to describe it... he does it in the bathroom scene in M.A.D. and the scene in the guest house in ATttD.)

Francophile

Francophile

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 5, 2005 @ 12:55 AM

Just had to add my love for Jason after last night's episode. I know there's been some ambivalence to his performance in the episode thread, but I really thought he knocked it out of the park. I think everybody did, really. But I was so convinced in every one of JD's scenes, especially on re-watching. I love this guy.

Edited by Francophile, May 5, 2005 @ 12:56 AM.

Jenzep

Jenzep

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 5, 2005 @ 1:16 AM

he was being sincere, yet underneeath like 10 layers there was a hint of desperation/creep

Perfectly stated. I was trying to figure that scene out and I certainly didn't want to deal with the possibility that it was bad acting. Not possible.

Quick Like Cat

Quick Like Cat

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 5, 2005 @ 10:53 PM

Cute thing in the scary pool house scene in "...Dentist" -- when Logan is trying to confess with Veronica on top of him (right before the "this is the makeout portion") whenever she leans in to kiss him, his bottom lip and nose go up, like he wants to kiss her back, but then thinks better of it and goes back down. It happens two or three times. Not sure if that was a conscious or unconscious decision by JD while trying to be kissed, but it was cute.

Minkey

Minkey

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 6, 2005 @ 8:55 AM

Just had to add my love for Jason after last night's episode. I know there's been some ambivalence to his performance in the episode thread, but I really thought he knocked it out of the park. I think everybody did, really. But I was so convinced in every one of JD's scenes, especially on re-watching. I love this guy.

Word. Word. Word.

I can't get over my love for this guy. He conveys so much not just in the delivery of his lines but in his body language! I loved when he told Dick to "evaporate" his eyes went up to the sky. It was just a hilarious little moment.

I also love all his little skips and jumps. When he swings Kirsten around on the way to the poolhouse. *So endearing*

JenJenL said it best--I love JD's Logan.

Limber

Limber

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2005 @ 9:26 AM

So to be "clear" on the Scientology courses -- does that mean that they don't have to go in for those auditing sessions anymore, or pay for courses? I'm reading about it online, and good lord. Are JD's parents Scientologists? I also stumbled across a Scientology website he sponsored, apparently at the age of 16.

vogue500

vogue500

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2005 @ 11:39 AM

I know this isn't a Scientology thread, but once you are clear, I believe the levels you have after that are confidential and no one outside the higher ups in Scientology know what happens during them. I don't know if his parents are Scientologists too, but if they are and that's why he is, that's just sad. He wouldn't have had a shot at not being one.

ostentatious

ostentatious

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2005 @ 12:01 PM

Well, his parents are, and if he was by 16, it's probably for the same reason any kid ends up following their parents' religion - because it's their parents' religion. Right? Unless something indicates otherwise.

vogue500

vogue500

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2005 @ 12:25 PM

Scientology is a bit different than normal organized religion. It does a lot to absolve you of your action and it has a certain amount of activity similar to hypnosis (detractors say brain washing). It was hard enough for me to become a lasped Catholic with relatively religious parents - Scientology and how it is set up would make it much harder for a child who grew up believing in it to look to other belief systems. Check out Dyanetics - it's a really interesting read.

Edited by vogue500, May 6, 2005 @ 12:25 PM.