Superman: The Animated Series

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

123 replies to this topic

Onslaught

Onslaught

Posted Mar 3, 2005 @ 3:10 PM

Cyper: what was the part of that episode that was dropped?

Cypher21

Cypher21

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2005 @ 7:39 PM

In the original episode, there was going to be the explosion caused by Lex that would cause a huge crack in the sea making the oceans recede by like hundreds of feet due to this crack on the ocean bed. And since Metropolis is right next to the ocean it would have been something like, Metropolis, hundreds of dry seabed, then the ocean. Does that make sense? But they had already blown their special effects for the year so they had to cut it out. The creators said it would have impacted the show greatly. They wanted a great dramatic ending to the episode, and I think this would have bridged the characterizations of Aquaman from STAS to JL.

riffola

riffola

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 11, 2005 @ 3:33 PM

Boomarang just aired Knight Time last night, I love this episode. It's great seeing Supes dress up as Batman. It was also cute seeing him smile like he normally would, and then remembering he is pretending to be Batman, so he quickly stops.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Aug 12, 2005 @ 10:44 AM

Man I haven't seen that ep in forever. Which season was it in? I'm taking a venture and guessing it isn't on DVD yet.

lurk3000

lurk3000

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 12, 2005 @ 1:23 PM

Damn. I missed it. Nope it's not on DVD yet. I forget if it's the second or third season? Was there a third season?

riffola

riffola

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 13, 2005 @ 10:03 PM

Boomarang is not airing the shows in order, also I think next weekend there's a Batman & Superman marathon on Saturday and Sunday respectively.

Curare

Curare

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2005 @ 8:00 AM

I have to say that Mike Ironside as Darkseid was the best casting next to Kevin Conroy as Batman. I feel in love with Darkseid when this show was on. He has two awesome quotes, "I told you Superman, If you'll not be my knight then you'll be my pawn." I think it is from the last ep of the series. And there's this scene where someone says that Kaliback (sp) is his (Darkseid) son and he goes, "A technicality of his birth." I swear Darkseid had some great lines. It is ALL in Ironside's delivery.

lurk3000

lurk3000

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 14, 2005 @ 9:50 AM

Boomarang is not airing the shows in order, also I think next weekend there's a Batman & Superman marathon on Saturday and Sunday respectively.

Sweeeeeeeeeet!

Yep. Mike Ironside totally rocks as Darkseid. Great lines. Ironside also did the voice of the Frank Miller "Return of the Dark Night" Batman in "Legends of the Dark Night" episode.

elle

elle

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2005 @ 1:19 AM

Bringing my question from the Batman:TAS forum over here ---

snowcrash, can you summarize what happens in Superman:Red Son for me? Thanks!

Edited by elle, Oct 5, 2005 @ 1:21 AM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Oct 5, 2005 @ 2:02 AM

Saw "Little Big Head Man" tonight. How come the JLU writers don't bring in Mxy to wreck things? For some reason, I like Gilbert Gottfreid's screechy voice as the imp. "Fish gotta swim and birds gotta fly! And I'm gonna bug that jerk til I die! [pause] Or he does!" And I like the end...Mxy stranded on Bizarro's home planet, stripped of his powers by the 5th dimensional council, and treed by Bizarro's killer pet. And there's Supes, chillin' in the Fortress with his feet up, sighing, "Life am good."

elle...Here's the Wikipedia entry. Maybe that could help. It was an alright miniseries, and I ended up getting a Batman sketch from Dave Johnson based on that book.

elle

elle

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2005 @ 4:07 PM

Thank you, Lantern7! off to read it now...

Edited by elle, Oct 5, 2005 @ 4:07 PM.

MereyGB

MereyGB

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2005 @ 7:45 PM

I need some recs, please. I finished my first Superman graphic novel/TPB (Birthright) and now I want to read more Superman stuff. So, what do you all recommend? To start off, I prefer non Elseworld stuff. I figure I should stick to continuity to get a better sense of the Superman timeline and then tackle the alternative world stuff.

Harrison Fjord

Harrison Fjord

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2005 @ 11:58 PM

Publicity stunt or no, I think "Reign of the Supermen" was a pretty nice arc. "Doomsday" was kinda lame for being the story that killed Superman, but once he was dead, I thought things took off. Not sure how or if the Reign was ever collected, but I never looked either, since I still have all of the originals.

monsterzero

monsterzero

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 6, 2005 @ 9:29 AM

need some recs, please. I finished my first Superman graphic novel/TPB (Birthright) and now I want to read more Superman stuff. So, what do you all recommend?

Have you read Superman for All Seasons by Loeb? I don't know if its technically in continuity, but it's a nice retelling of Superman's early years from the point of view of those closest to him.

Harrison Fjord

Harrison Fjord

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2005 @ 11:02 AM

oh yeah, that one. and, at least at the time it was published, it was considered continuity (no elseworlds label, at least). unfortunately, Birthright has screwed up Clark's early years fairly badly, in my opinion, and it's hard to tell what is actually "in continuity" around that time anymore.

SpacePPoliceman

SpacePPoliceman

Posted Oct 6, 2005 @ 11:11 PM

He has two awesome quotes,

Oh, dude, I agree about Darkseid, but neither of those can hold a candle to "Had I known one human's death would pain you so, I would have killed more." Awesome.

Edit, because I forgot to add--"And kill more I shall."

Edited by SpacePPoliceman, Oct 6, 2005 @ 11:12 PM.

nothing new

nothing new

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 10, 2005 @ 9:33 PM

The one thing about this show, good though it was, is that I don't think they ever quite worked out the problem of how to give Superman satisfying villains. Most of Superman's villains are just anybody who's powerful enough to fight him, which leads to long, long sequences of Superman and the villain of the week throwing each other into walls and such. Luthor is the exception, of course, but he has the problem that he can't actually fight Superman directly (he'd lose) so he has to be the guy who sends the villain of the week out to fight Superman, leading to more long fight sequences with pre-determined outcomes.

I noticed that in the "World's Finest" crossover (which I just watched), it sort of points up the weaknesses of the Superman universe by having Batman and the Joker waltz into Metropolis and basically kick everybody's asses. I've heard it speculated that the writers are just basically Batman fanboys at heart trying to make the Superman characters look bad by comparison, but really, I think the Batman characters just have an inherent coolness that the Superverse can't match -- which is why it'll always kinda be second fiddle.

Love the Mxy episode, though. It's like a Bugs Bunny cartoon with Supes as Bugs and Mxy as Elmer Fudd.

mrow

mrow

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2005 @ 1:27 AM

I fanwank Batman and the Joker's ability to stand up against guys like Superman and other super powered individuals by their lack of inherent powers forcing them to rely on cunning. I mean, I do think that Superman is even in the cartoon portrayed as being highly, you might even say super, intelligent, but being able to punch your way out of most problems probably stunts your ability to problem solve on the fly. Despite being a super genius Lex probably suffers from a similar problem. I think he too often thinks in terms of bigger weapons and tougher muscle when he plots Supermans downfall. To much use of power when finesse would do for both of those guys.

lurk3000

lurk3000

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2006 @ 10:16 PM

According to Fanboyplanet Boomerang will have a 24 hour Superman:TAS marathon (along with Batman Beyond and Justice League) on June 24 in honor of Superman Returns

Edited by lurk3000, May 23, 2006 @ 10:16 PM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2006 @ 8:06 PM

Brainiac Attacks? Sucked. Sucked so hard. I mean, I totally understand if new voice actors are put it. But with a few plot changes, this could have been servicable. Instead, we're talking The Batman/The Zeta Project levels of crap. Lex Luthor isn't supposed to act like a bitch, Jimmy Olsen isn't supposed to have a boner for Mercy, and Clark should know that Lois would throw herself into danger on her own.

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2006 @ 8:24 PM

Wow, I only saw the last half hour but, Lex Luthor was (and sounded like) the world's biggest chump.

lurk3000

lurk3000

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 18, 2006 @ 1:16 AM

Well - it was written by one of "The Batman" writers. I'd rather not taint my enjoyment of Superman:TAS with this crap.

lrdmordain

lrdmordain

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2006 @ 1:47 AM

Ok that really sucked hard. I don't know what superman universe that took place in, but thank god we never have to watch anything else from it. I mean come on, they turned Lex, the man with the ultimate power suit, into a wennie with no charm...That's just...horrible. Plus the whole resolution to the lois sickness was just so...bad. It's like it was written in a fanfic. I will admit, given that I love the character, I really wanted to see what Mxyzpitilick (sp?) was up to down town.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jun 18, 2006 @ 11:20 AM

Well - it was written by one of "The Batman" writers.

I should have known. Only thing missing was Lex leaping into the air and kicking Superman thirty times before hitting the ground.

fatneck

fatneck

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2006 @ 6:41 PM

Jimmy Olsen saying how Lois always gets in trouble was the line of the year! Geez, I know figure out that Lois is an action junkie!

We saw how she was in her car chasing a missle and then this afternoon on S:TAS, Identity Crisis she was in car following a police chase with robbers shooting! This time Clark was present, whether he was there to protect her or was strong-arm, I dunno! Now that seriously messed up!

About the movie, it had 1 good freeze breath scene in the beginning and the rest was just dull! It was like a step backwards!

john mora

john mora

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2006 @ 10:20 PM

Braniac Attacks is stated as not being related to any previous Superman continuity.

Cypher21

Cypher21

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2006 @ 11:41 PM

Yeah, the mooks behind this dtv movie probably issued that statement after they watched and realized what a piece of crap they made.

I forgot to add, I remember who this version of Luthor reminds me of, the wacky Gene Hackman version from the original movies. I'm surprised they didn't give Luthor hair in this movie.

Edited by Cypher21, Jun 19, 2006 @ 1:17 AM.

john mora

john mora

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2006 @ 9:14 AM

I forgot to add, I remember who this version of Luthor reminds me of, the wacky Gene Hackman version from the original movies.

That's exactly who he was modeled after.

MereyGB

MereyGB

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2006 @ 8:03 PM

Horrifically bad. So bad! I want my 32 minutes back (approx. time of non TiVo fast forwarding). The dialogue was moronic. The plot was nonsensical. I could almost hear Daly and Delany choking on those lines they were forced to utter.

You know, I was really hoping we'd get a good Superman/Clark to Lois reveal with this dtv, but instead we get something so insulting. They made a mockery of it. Grr!

I want Timm back. :-(

Clockstomper24

Clockstomper24

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2006 @ 11:17 PM

I wonder why they decided to use the Timm designs then? I hope it's not an indication of what the new Superman animated series will be like, because that seriously sucked. They must have had a really tight budget, as it seems they hired some random idiot to write a script.