Queer Eye For The Straight Guy

• Please log in to reply

1415 replies to this topic

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2008 @ 1:18 AM

I wonder if TPTB were able to sell the show solely on the concept or whether they had to wait for the final cast.

There was the alternate pilot, with a different guy in for Jai. They aired that episode late in the run, framed with the regular cast reminiscing about it in the Queermobile.

VanillaBear85

VanillaBear85

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2008 @ 11:29 AM

I am jealous as I have not seen any episodes. Has it been shown on Bravo?

AllAboutMBTV

AllAboutMBTV

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2008 @ 12:07 PM

Yes, from 2003-2007. Wikipedia has an entry on it. I'd link to it for you, but I'm having a complete brain cramp on the how-to of that. Clearly, I need more coffee...

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2008 @ 1:09 PM

The QE reruns are shown on the Fine Living Network.

VanillaBear85

VanillaBear85

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2008 @ 5:49 PM

Yes, from 2003-2007.

I should have clarified myself, I meant the re-runs. Although I didn't realize it was being made for that long. Granted it doesn't sound like a long time, but I thought it was only 2 years or so.

Now I have to figure out if I have FLN.

Edited by VanillaBear85, Dec 19, 2008 @ 5:50 PM.

derekevans

derekevans

Fanatic

Posted Dec 27, 2008 @ 6:50 AM

The pilot only had Carson and Ted, with three different guys. Jai was the third culture guy, he joined in the third ep (or fourth if you're counting the pilot). The other guys were okay, but not great, although the concept and feel of the show was always solid.

ashleigh12

ashleigh12

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 4, 2011 @ 11:56 AM

I've been rewatching this on Youtube ever since Carson has been on DWTS. Loved it 'back in the day', and love it still! In fact, I forgot how honestly funny these guys were together, and they all seemed to have such a genuine friendship. I would love it if they all reunited to visit Carson on the show (or maybe Jai can come on and give some pointers!)

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2011 @ 6:23 PM

I would love it if they all reunited to visit Carson on the show (or maybe Jai can come on and give some pointers!)

I would love it, esp. if they do a makeover on either Ana (hysterical) or Chaz (desperately needed).

smayle

smayle

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 1:59 PM

Is anyone rewatching now that Queer Eye is on Netflix? I started from the beginning and have made my way thru half the first season. It actually still seems contemporary, though there are some dated references in there. Ex - at one point, Carson adorably explains what "Cat's Whiskers" marks on jeans are since it was a new treatment.

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 1:45 PM

I am! It's my new streaming go-to show and I plow through 2 or 3 at a time. I watched first-run and probably missed a few of them, so it's good to make sure I see them all this time. (George, He Of The Fabio Hair, was the straight guy I remembered most clearly.) I just love a good ensemble cast, and these guys are perfect together... so much fun to watch and listen to. I watched Thom's decorating show too, and I enjoyed it, but I missed the banter and repartee between the Fab Five. (And I truly hope I wouldn't be offending them to say this, but this straight female finds both Ted and Kyan extremely attractive.)

Streya

Streya

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 12:58 PM

I've been thinking about re-joining Netflix, this might be one for the plus column. Loved it, and this straight girl was all about Kyan, too.

Logo should bring the show back; not just repeats but update the whole thing, the concept could still work now. Of course Ted and Carson probably wouldn't come back, but the others might and if not, 5 new guys would be fine. I got some good decorating and entertaining ideas from them.

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 9:13 AM

I got some good decorating and entertaining ideas from them.

Me too. I actually started using under-eye moisturizer because of them (tap; never rub in), and I write down many of the tips they rattle off at the very end, like the best way to reheat pizza (not the oven... rather surprisingly, it's in a skillet on top of the stove) and how to distress fabic with a cheese grater. I make costumes for dolls and teddy bears, and I needed a way to make brand-new fake leather look very old... that oughta do it!

I also have to admit that I've started using Thom's wonderful expression, "HAAAA-ribble!" when I run across anything truly offensive to the eye.

I would absolutely love to sit down to drinks and dinner with those guys.

Leshyn63

Leshyn63

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 6:38 PM

I also have to admit that I've started using Thom's wonderful expression, "HAAAA-ribble!" when I run across anything truly offensive to the eye.

. . . augment that witl Charles Barkley's "TURRRRRR-ible," and you're good to go. The combo has served me well for several years. ;-)

JCScantling

JCScantling

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 12:01 PM

Anyone else watching the marathon on Bravo today? I think the episodes might be from the last season that aired. 

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 12:21 PM

Are they making a new series or special because of the tenth anniversary of the show beginning? If so, when will it air? I don't watch anything on Bravo besides Kathy Griffin, and her show isn't in production now.

diorella78

diorella78

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 12:42 PM

Unfortunately I think a marathon is all we're getting. 

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 8:58 PM

This takes me back to my pre-DVR and without a VCR days when it was SO HARD to stay awake to watch this show (morning alarm set for 4:15 in the A.M.!).  I'd blast the theme song full volume and do a sitting-in-the-bed-dance to delay the inevitable sleep paralysis ... good times!  The early episodes were always the best for me, just because this show was something fresh and new and unique (you had to be there, I guess).  Glad I finally caught some of the later stuff, even though I have no idea how or why I missed it the first time around.

ETA: Jai's tip from October of 2007 started with the phrase: "One third of all teenagers have cell phones ..."

How quickly the times change.

Edited by walnutqueen, Jul 15, 2013 @ 10:32 PM.

diorella78

diorella78

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2013 @ 12:51 PM

ETA: Jai's tip from October of 2007 started with the phrase: "One third of all teenagers have cell phones ..."

How quickly the times change.

Holy crap, this ages me. It also makes me feel like time is flying. Try, now, 1/3 of all toddlers have cell phones. :-/ 

I loved the theme music too. I even bought the cd. lol. I also loved the background beat while the Fab 5 piled into the SUV and started describing the MO. sighhhhhhhhhhhh. I miss this show. Thom was my gay husband. Kyan was my mom's. lol

tablemejakeryan

tablemejakeryan

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2013 @ 1:29 PM

Wait - Bravo had a marathon of Queer Eye? Was it in certain markets? I'm in the Chicago Area and I totally missed it.

I miss this show so much! I consider it the best or definitely in competition as the best of all the makeover shows. I've watched What Not To Wear for years and tend to compare it. I have learn some nice basic tips from Clinton and Stacy. However, every season they have an agenda to push - like when they were pushing the long shorts for everyone that one season. Anyone else remember that? Whereas on Queer Eye they considered the MO's likes and lifestyle etc... While updating them, making them more fashionable, presentable, etc. So that the transition was better and probably lasted longer. All shows have a set format but Queer Eye seemed less scripted and certainly more fun.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Jul 16, 2013 @ 2:41 PM

This show always inspired me to clean my apartment during commercial breaks!

I always thought it could have lasted longer if they had started to mix up the formula a bit more -- like making over a couple or a lady (lesbian?) sometimes, going to different cities, etc. I remember also that Jai seemed to be the weakest link, in terms of having clear tips for the guys, and Ted tended to miss the mark on having them make cuisine instead of something edible.

Edited by NicoleMN6, Jul 16, 2013 @ 2:43 PM.

beaglelove

beaglelove

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2013 @ 2:52 PM

I actually started using under-eye moisturizer because of them (tap; never rub in), and I write down many of the tips they rattle off at the very end, like the best way to reheat pizza (not the oven... rather surprisingly, it's in a skillet on top of the stove)

They did give great tips. I also tap in my undereye cream and heat pizza on the stove top in a skillet.  Someone asked me where I learned the pizza thing. Queer Eye! 

The last season they started to have too many prizes.  They were re-doing whole houses, giving the wives clothes and makeovers.  I preferred the earlier seasons.  I wish they still had fun, no drama shows like this.

Edited by beaglelove, Jul 16, 2013 @ 2:53 PM.

diorella78

diorella78

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2013 @ 3:03 PM

The last season they started to have too many prizes.  They were re-doing whole houses, giving the wives clothes and makeovers.  I preferred the earlier seasons.  I wish they still had fun, no drama shows like this.

Agree 100%. Sadly, if this show were on today, they'd probably have the MO punch one of the Fab 5 in the jaw or have a huge fit "for the drama". But I loved the show for what it was, as it was. sighhhhhhhhhhhhh

Edited by diorella78, Jul 16, 2013 @ 3:03 PM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jul 17, 2013 @ 10:40 AM

Do you remember the hipster guy who got fancy barware with his makeover? He's a comic currently appearing on America's Got Talent. I recognized him, but couldn't place where I knew him from. Another poster made the connection.

cpcathy

cpcathy

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2013 @ 11:56 AM

Missed the marathon (darn job!) but caught this on Netflix. All episodes are available to stream. So happy, this show used to make my day. Favorite part when the guys would storm the victim's apartment and make all their snarky remarks.

catrice2

catrice2

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 17, 2013 @ 5:49 PM

I caught some of the marathon and renewed my love of the show. They were very funny, and very kind and compassionate.  I remember a lot of the tips as well. At the time the one I found the most useful was running the back of the CD cover along the table, etc. making it easier to open...now that we have I-tunes and MP3's that is outdated, but it sure made life easier for me at the time!

I never saw an episode where the makeover recipient was rude or ungrateful, and Thom did some beautiful rooms. I wonder what all of them are up to? I know Ted is on Food Network and that Thom had a show and is a successful designer, but not sure what the rest of them are doing.

They seemed to have the hardest time finding something for Jai to do.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Jul 18, 2013 @ 12:54 AM

Jai's role, in theory, made sense -- a lot of these guys had trouble coming up with romantic gestures or creative/interesting (or even just obvious) date activities, ways to meet new people, etc. But the execution was often lacking. Maybe they needed an older guy in this role.

Edited by NicoleMN6, Jul 18, 2013 @ 12:55 AM.

discorules

discorules

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2013 @ 7:55 AM

Jai had a "blink and you'd miss him" role on Days of Our Lives last year. He was part of one of the character's "coming out" storyline. 

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jul 18, 2013 @ 12:24 PM

I think he was on Malibu Country w/Reba McIntyre as well.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2013 @ 12:31 PM

braggtastic - you're right! I knew he looked familiar from somewhere, but couldn't put my finger on it. Thank you.

mansonlamps

mansonlamps

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2013 @ 2:52 PM

I never liked Ted on QE and it astonishes me that he's become the most successful of the guys. At least to my knowledge. I never thought his food looked like anything special and his personality grated.