Queer Eye For The Straight Guy

• Please log in to reply

1415 replies to this topic

lakergrrrl34

lakergrrrl34

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 30, 2007 @ 2:36 AM

Amen, MotownGirl. I forgot about the "smelly" remark. He was in gym! The other part that I didn't like about her was after they were dancing and everyone was watching and she said "pick me up, pick me up". I hope they're not still together and Ronnie found a nice girl who appreciates his sweetness.

WizardofAhs

WizardofAhs

Fanatic

Posted Oct 31, 2007 @ 12:31 AM

So - is that it? Bravo has been pimping "The series finale" all week long, with clips of the Fab 5 saying actual good-byes to one another, yet neither of these two shows had any content to indicate they were the last of them. In fact they seem to have been shot out of sequence because the second one with the Ecuadorans featured a clean-shaven Kyan while he had been sporting an ever-lengthening beard over the past several weeks.

lakergrrrl34

lakergrrrl34

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 31, 2007 @ 2:37 AM

I hope that wasn't it. They should go out with some fanfare. I really would enjoy a behind the scenes show..I'm sure it would be pretty x-rated but hilarious. Someone should also get the makebetters together to show their appreciation--the guys really did some nice work. Thom is amazing in his getting to the soul of the person putting that in his designs. Giving that boat builder guy Stickley furniture? DAMN. He got great other stuff, too--the custom made jeans (I didn't know you could do that...very cool) and the homemade lotions. It was all perfect for his "crunchiness". I'll really miss this show.

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Oct 31, 2007 @ 9:58 AM

I really would enjoy a behind the scenes show..I'm sure it would be pretty x-rated but hilarious.

Oh yeah. I thought I caught Kyan blushing during the boat episode where one of the innuendos seemed to indicate he was a bottom. I wish I could remember the exact wording.

I was also waiting for some big farewell. I think they do the W 'viewing' scenes in giant clumps, because Kyan was bearded for the boating episode except for that part.

AllAboutMBTV

AllAboutMBTV

Fanatic

Posted Oct 31, 2007 @ 11:19 AM

Giving that boat builder guy Stickley furniture? DAMN.

I *know*! I have a Stickley coffee table that I paid, um, well, about a thou for -- and it was on sale! Thom, make me better, pleeeeeeze!!!

I thought I caught Kyan blushing during the boat episode where one of the innuendos seemed to indicate he was a bottom. I wish I could remember the exact wording.

Thom said something about how if the boat sank -- or bottomed out -- it would be like Kyan. Hilarious. Kyan was good-naturedly embarrassed and wisely zipped his lip. Best part of the whole ep. I'll really miss Thom.

blondie69

blondie69

Fanatic

Posted Oct 31, 2007 @ 12:41 PM

I was expecting a huge farewell or some sort of clip show. Granted I generally hate clip shows, but a QE clip show would be all shades of awesome.

coastie81

coastie81

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 31, 2007 @ 1:18 PM

I was expecting a huge farewell or some sort of clip show.

Me too! And I think the boys deserved a formal good-bye. The series has just sputtered out and that's a shame considering the cultural sensation it was when it first began. Not to get too deep, but the Fab Five have done alot to engender goodwill and acceptance. I just wish they had been given an appropriate send off. And perhaps they might have liked the opportunity to say good-bye, as a group, to their fans.

MotownGirl

MotownGirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 31, 2007 @ 1:33 PM

Not to get too deep, but the Fab Five have done alot to engender goodwill and acceptance. I just wish they had been given an appropriate send off. And perhaps they might have liked the opportunity to say good-bye, as a group, to their fans.

Not to mention, made Bravo as a network. Most people probably didn't even know they had Bravo until this show came around. And now they give us crap like Real Housewives of Organe County...sigh. I haven't seen the last couple weeks yet, but I'll be plenty mad if they just....go away. Or if that asinine pageant was the last "fun" thing they did.

lakergrrrl34

lakergrrrl34

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 31, 2007 @ 2:23 PM

I'll really miss Thom.

Just to make sure everyone knows since I never see ads for this show: Thom has a show on Style Network called "Dress My Nest". His sidekick is kind of annoying, but at least we still get to see Thom's fabulousity (sp?).

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Oct 31, 2007 @ 2:25 PM

Aside from the bottoming out comment (thanks AllAboutMBTV), my favorite moment of the past few episodes also involved Kyan. It was when the divorced dad with the equestrian kids was getting ready to take a shower. He was undressing and Kyan & Carson grabbed onto each other in delight, seemingly the beefier guys are both of their types.

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Oct 31, 2007 @ 2:34 PM

And Carson said if the boat were named after Kyan it would definitely go down. I'm sure glad I dropped in to say goodbye to the series. These last two were indeed a return to the old format and even though they weren't eye-popping they were pure and classic old QE. The boat-builder was a real catch, even though he's just this shy of being someone I'd be physically attracted to. His charity did seem a little boutique-y, but how can I quibble with his efforts? Or his results, which were genuinely heartwarming. Just the fact of bringing city kids camping makes me all aglow inside. And Willy, his being so warm and gentle and kind, offered a nice coda to Queer Eye.

lakergrrrl34

lakergrrrl34

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 31, 2007 @ 2:46 PM

Kyan was also cute in the Willy episode when he dropped an f-bomb right in front of that kid (of course he didn't mean to!). His look of horror was great, along with Ted trying to distract. I know I've been there.

Edited by lakergrrrl34, Oct 31, 2007 @ 2:47 PM.

BettyFiona

BettyFiona

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 1, 2007 @ 10:09 AM

I was waiting for the goodbyes to each other! I could have sworn I saw that in the previews for the last season. I really do not feel Bravo gave this show a proper goodbye. And I would rather have more repeats of this than some of the other shows they keep showing over and over.

Ethereal Zoe

Ethereal Zoe

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2007 @ 7:26 PM

Add me to the (evidently long) list of folks who feel like QE should have gotten a better send-off from Bravo. I remember when nobody knew what the heck Bravo was (pre-Queer Eye) and it was just that channel that showed ballet and opera and actors talking about nothing. Then QE came out and it was a sensation, and people were thrilled to find out about the damn channel. So, yeah, the Fab Five definitely deserved better than they got by way of a send off.

The only thing I can hope for is a reunion show somewhere down the line. Hell if the asshole house flipper, the asshole hair dresser, and the asshole personal trainer all get reunion shows, five great guys like the Fab Five definitely deserve one. Whether they would want to participate, after how the show was treated in the end, is another story.

Oh, and how about another DVD collection, Bravo? Those "best of" DVDs have been out for quite a while and I think you have quite a few new "best of" clips that could be added to the bunch.

ETA: I just had to add, after watching the Adam episode, that regarding the boat thing, Thom said "The only problem is that if they name the boat 'Princess Kyan', then it'll have to bottom out." and then Carson adds "And it'll definitely go down." I wish I knew how they knew. My imagination is probably a lot better than the reality of it, though.

Edited by Ethereal Zoe, Nov 3, 2007 @ 8:02 PM.

blondie69

blondie69

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2007 @ 9:38 PM

The real shame is I haven't noticed any re-runs. I have been sick all week and haven't caught one :(
ETA: Still sick, but should know that have and haven't do not mean the same thing.

Edited by blondie69, Nov 3, 2007 @ 9:39 PM.

Cookie55

Cookie55

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 5, 2007 @ 12:07 PM

I wish they'd come out with a DVD collection of nothing but clips from the Fab 5's initial tear-down and commentary of the straight guy's house. Those were always my favorite segments and the idea of having them all in one place... I'd pay mucho bucks for that.

derekevans

derekevans

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2007 @ 2:21 AM

Yeah, it sucked they used those last. No idea why. The pageant was taped last and was always intended as the finale. The actual final two eps were taped ages go -- the boat ep in July 05 and Willy in Sept 05. Just random.

Also, re: boat innuendos; there's a lot of truth said in jest. 'Nuff said.

Edited by derekevans, Nov 7, 2007 @ 2:22 AM.

AllAboutMBTV

AllAboutMBTV

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2007 @ 12:03 PM

The pageant was taped last and was always intended as the finale.

Really? Then I'm glad TPTB at Bravo used it first so by the end of this "season" the bad taste of tackiness had left our mouths. A simple "The View"-like best-of clip show where the boys sat around and snarked and laughed and got hammered while Ted cooked and Kyan did their hair and Jai DJ'd would have made a nice send-off. Lord knows they --and their audience -- deserved something better than, well, the nothing they got.

blondie69

blondie69

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2007 @ 2:47 PM

I LOVE the idea of having the boys just sit around and chat and get hammered. If only!

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2007 @ 2:59 PM

the boat ep in July 05

Over 2 years ago? Dang... That's really too bad considering his participation seemed almost totally for exposure for his charity. All that benefit lost because Bravo couldn't either schedule or say goodbye to this series in a timely or proper manner.

coastie81

coastie81

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 7, 2007 @ 4:47 PM

Over 2 years ago? Dang... That's really too bad considering his participation seemed
almost totally for exposure for his charity. All that benefit lost because Bravo couldn't either schedule
or say goodbye to this series in a timely or proper manner.

I thought this too, until I went to the Rocking The Boat website. They are doing just fine; many sponsors and a suprisingly large paid staff. Definitely not the "one man with a dream" operation the episode led me to believe it was. I'm happy for the organization, it seems they are doing very good work.

lakergrrrl34

lakergrrrl34

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 7, 2007 @ 10:40 PM

A simple "The View"-like best-of clip show where the boys sat around and snarked and laughed and got hammered while Ted cooked and Kyan did their hair and Jai DJ'd would have made a nice send-off.

Don't forget Thom doing his imitations... and Carson making filthy hilarious innuendos. WHY CAN'T WE HAVE THIS?????

RyanCrowell

RyanCrowell

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2007 @ 10:36 AM

Carson is doing filler moments on Lifetime's repeats of their holiday movies. He jokes around with the woman who played Barbara Jean on "Reba". They're actually somewhat funny together.

dbrugg

dbrugg

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2008 @ 12:26 PM

It would appear that Alan Corey, the cheapskate with issues who won the beauty pageant, has a book out.

A Million Bucks by 30: How to Overcome a Crap Job, Stingy Parents, and a Useless Degree to Become a Millionaire Before (or After) Turning Thirty (Paperback)

Sounds like he's still an asshat.

blondie69

blondie69

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 12:35 PM

There is a mini-marathon on this morning/afternoon and I miss them.

Kris223

Kris223

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 3, 2008 @ 9:24 AM

I'd forgotten how much I liked this show until FLN started showing them. I'm not sure how long they've been doing this but I just came across it randomly. They showed George's ep. last night (one of my favorites).

bj1968

bj1968

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2008 @ 12:41 PM

George is a hottie, but more importantly, a sweetie ! I wonder if he's still single?

AllAboutMBTV

AllAboutMBTV

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2008 @ 3:34 PM

Thanks, FLN, for re-airing Queer Eye! Even though I think I've seen all the episodes before, it's been highly enjoyable revisiting some of them. These are the Early Seasons, which I think were the best anyway. The last one I saw was the guy with the toupee. Man, Kyan was a walking' streak o' sex in that one.

Ms Chicklet

Ms Chicklet

Stalker

Posted Dec 16, 2008 @ 4:04 PM

I watched that one last night! The mom's expression was priceless. I see lots of passive-aggressive jabs from her in his and his wife's future.

Harry24

Harry24

Fanatic

Posted Dec 18, 2008 @ 8:23 PM

I am COMPLETELY falling in love with this show all over again. I was howling with laughter watching the FF watch in absolute shocked, unbelieving hilarity as Alan the Cheapskate attempted to throw the cocktail party for his and his girlfriend's parents. Kyan was falling off the couch laughing and trying to console Ted watching Alan mop up a serving platter with a sweat rag, shatter expensive Italian glassware, eat cheese off his own shoe, and concoct some horrifying atomic "mint julep" for his girlfriend.

In its prime, this show was one of the greatest TV shows ever IMO. What astonishing good luck the producers had finding five guys that were all adorable, kind, accomplished, charming and absolutely hilarious. I doubt any of the other overseas incarnations of QE were able to put together a cast half as wonderful. I wonder if TPTB were able to sell the show solely on the concept or whether they had to wait for the final cast.