Queer Eye For The Straight Guy

• Please log in to reply

1415 replies to this topic

skittl3862

skittl3862

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2005 @ 12:11 AM

No show retains the excitement of its first episodes.

That is what's sad about television today. Shows get popular, then the writers get lazy, and we end up with "jump the shark" comments after the second season premiere. That's why the really good shows are the ones where they continue to put out good, exciting shows for years, not just the first few months.

isis, I don't know about the other belles and punkins, but this one frequents this meet market, if you happen to watch this fabulous show as well.

nacktarine

nacktarine

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2005 @ 10:59 PM

Tonight's episode with the British bloke was a lot of fun. The guys did a world of improvement on him, especially with the hair. Plus, that club his band played at looked awesome, and makes me wanna go to London.

Dinner looked great, but those prawns were Huge! I don't blame him for being a little squeamish with them. I think I'd pick them up with tongs or something or at least cut their gross heads off.

CatLady

CatLady

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2005 @ 12:12 AM

So nice to see a MakeBetter who actually needed it, instead of some schlub just gathering in the goodies. Simon looked almost handsome with his great new haircut and new clothes. And Mary was a doll.

How on Earth could Simon's mum even hesitate when she was asked if she liked his new look? Could she really have preferred the old? It's not like he looked older and made her look older, quite the opposite, if anything. I guess she was just used to the old look.

I want that wide-stripey warm-toned rug.

Edited because spaces between words make them easiertoread.

Edited by CatLady, Jan 26, 2005 @ 12:14 AM.

gyc1

gyc1

Posted Jan 26, 2005 @ 12:38 AM

I really enjoyed this episode. I think this was one of the better ones in a long time. Perhaps because the long hair and the overalls gave him sort of a Butch vibe? I loved the way Thom re-did the house, especially the living room, since that's pretty much similar to my style. Simon was also really good in the kitchen for someone who has never cooked a real meal before. Mary also seemed pretty cool.

designmerc

designmerc

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2005 @ 6:34 AM

Since I got called away right after the Ted segment during the reveal (those were some nice prawns), could someone give me a rundown on how dinner turned out? As soon as I saw the chef preparing the flatbread I was all; "Let's be reasonable Ted, this guy's kitchen experience consists of frozen/canned cooking or calling for takeout. Now you're expecting him to pull off intricate baked goods and monster shellfish?"

Carson: "You really have a 'man of a thousand nipples' look going there" hee.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

Posted Jan 26, 2005 @ 7:03 AM

The editing didn't give a lot of time to dinner per se (they had to move on to his big event, and part of the dinner footage we saw was devoted to admiring the new backyard), but from all indications, he did brilliantly. He had a lot to do (as the others of the F5 pointed out to Ted, in just your words) but he did everything well. He was so tickled with his success at flipping the bread in the pan that he did it a second time after Mary arrived, to show off proudly to her. His biggest hesitation was just forcing his hands to touch those gigantic prawns!

He also kept running back into the bathroom to jeuge his new hair again. Hee.

absolutelyisis

absolutelyisis

Posted Jan 26, 2005 @ 7:29 AM

Perhaps because the long hair and the overalls gave him sort of a Butch vibe?

I missed it, but now, I must watch!

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Jan 26, 2005 @ 7:59 AM

The old magic definitely returned last night. Nice, engaging straight guy that desperately needed the Fab 5's help, good self-improvement sequences all around, and the guys had that snappy banter amongst themselves that had been missing for a while. I don't know if it was the fun of a trip that energized them, or the illusion of being away from the repressive media censorship of the USA, but whatever it was was seriously working. Though I must admit my eyes are still rolling from them "just happening" to run across Graham Norton. In a city of 8 million people.

On a shallower note, was it just me or was that the hottest Kyan has ever looked? Dude knows how to work the stubble, I'll give him that.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2005 @ 8:41 AM

I'm glad to hear that the US Fab Five have done some shows in London. I live there, and I was really disappointed with the UK Fab Five - I don't even watch the UK version anymore. I'm glad the guys' saucy banter sounds like it returns - I was starting to miss that.

On a shallower note, was it just me or was that the hottest Kyan has ever looked? Dude knows how to work the stubble, I'll give him that.

So true. Clean-shaven, I don't think he's anywhere near as hot.

I must admit my eyes are still rolling from them "just happening" to run across Graham Norton. In a city of 8 million people.

Was there a reason Graham was in the episode? I don't really like the guest appearances, like that scary perma-tanned financial advice woman in the ‘Moving Out’ episode.

that club his band played at looked awesome

Do you remember what it was called nacktarine?

Did the Fab Five spend time in London before the episodes? Because a lot of their expertise seems to be reliant on having insider knowledge of stores and so on. If they'd only just arrived somewhere, I would have thought it would be harder.

derekevans

derekevans

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2005 @ 9:53 AM

They'd just got arrived. They only spent two weeks here.

BTW, I was at the end event in this episode and spent some time talking to the SG and his girlfriend, got filmed quite a bit, too (they lived to us though; everyone was told we were being filmed for his music video, not for Queer Eye); I haven't seen the ep yet so I have no idea whether I'm seen on camera.

Nacktarine, you don't want to go there, trust me. London, yes, but (IMHO, I know it has its fans) that club is a D.U.M.P dump, as Thom would say. It's the Scala in Kings Cross, a beautiful building (very old; used to be a famous cinema), but horrible inside. The room the event was in was tiny, dirty and ugly, and the area is, well, not so nice (although if you're cheap and you like hookers, come on down!).

ETA - Mary said the dinner turned out very well and she amazed he cooked for her and did so well. She also said Ted had given him more recipes and cooking tips off-camera because he said he wanted to cook for her more, and he had promised to try some more of them.

Edited by derekevans, Jan 26, 2005 @ 10:03 AM.

Michaelwb

Michaelwb

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 26, 2005 @ 10:04 AM

Well, I guess all the Butch fans were happy. Simon was the British version.

I really enjoyed this episode. A lot. Simon was in desperate need of the boys' help and he seemed a willing candidate -- even if he was a little squeamish about giving up that stringy hair.

He looked almost hot.

Ted was on fire! I loved his "they are no more" when Butch ... er, Simon asked if the prawns were still alive. And loved, loved, LOVED his Michael Caine impression at the reveal when Simon took the stage: "It's so great to be back on staaaaage."

Kyan looked totally hot with that stubble. And it was so nice to see Thom in a tie.

Great episode. I have high hopes for next week's, too!

derekevans

derekevans

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2005 @ 10:26 AM

That reminds me, Mary said Simon really did not want to cut his hair, and they all thought he would back out, and Kyan and the producers had to spent a lot of time talking him into it and Kyan, in particular, had to do a lot of 'hand holding.'

AllAboutMBTV

AllAboutMBTV

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2005 @ 12:56 PM

I dunno, I liked the MB (who truly needed the make-better and looked a bajillion times the better for it), but the FF seemed kinda canned and forced to me. But maybe that awful, staged banter in the first-class section of the plane at the beginning of the show left a bad taste in my mouth.

Agreed on the Kyan Hotness and the Thom Geniusness, but someone remind exactly what Jai did, other than wear a silly fedora.

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Jan 26, 2005 @ 1:50 PM

I must admit my eyes are still rolling from them "just happening" to run across Graham Norton. In a city of 8 million people.

As it happens, I just happened to run into a friend of mine from college (upstate New York) on the street in London. He was living there, I was visiting, but I didn't know he was living there. It can happen. However, it seemed to me that Graham could immediately be heard speaking, which means he had to be wearing a body mic, right? They were still in the car when he started speaking, so I call bullshit.

However, how popular a recording artist was this guy in the 80s? I've never heard of him, and the 80s was my time being very into the Brit music scene. It seemed as if Graham didn't recognize him either, and he of all people should know has been celebs in London. Also, Simon's bio said he was 34, which means even if his 80s success came in 1989, he was only 18 (or 19) when it happened.

I just googled him, and I don't think he was popular at all. No websites, but he is advertising as a producer and his contact info is here. Maybe I'll call him and ask him if the Graham thing was a set up.

Edited by iMissEthan, Jan 26, 2005 @ 1:53 PM.

gemini617

gemini617

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2005 @ 5:58 PM

This was a fun episode. Simon and Mary were so adorable! He looked like Thom Yorke from Radiohead's older brother after his haircut. It looked really nice though.
I looooove Graham Norton, even if his appearance was contrived.

I was really disappointed with the UK Fab Five

I heart Lulu! What a cutie! Oh, and I guess there were some guys on that show too.

At least the prawns were butterflied and de-veined first. A culinary newbie does not need that kind of hassle/trauma. Eeeew. They were still kind of yucky, as seafood isn't really my thing.

thingamajig

thingamajig

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2005 @ 7:57 PM

He looked like Thom Yorke from Radiohead's older brother after his haircut.

I thought he looked like Peter Tork. Current Peter Tork that is, not young Peter Tork. It was definitely an improvement, though.

JuliaJellicoe

JuliaJellicoe

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 27, 2005 @ 12:55 AM

When I saw our Fab Five was in London, I missed the UK Fab Five. For about three seconds, though.

After watching the Tonight Show tribute to Johnny Carson that included clips of he and Ed wearing those loud 1973 glen checks, I thought I was in a time warp seeing some of those jackets on the Fab Five, especially Carson.

But oh, did this episode feel like the good old days! Except Ted actually remembered to have the prawns peeled and deveined before handing them off to Mr. I Can't Boil Water. (He's learning!) And he had one course prepared beforehand so all Simon had to do was the main course.

Anyone else get a Bill Nighy vibe from "Love Actually" when Simon went onstage with his bottle?

Contrived or no, Graham Norton -- SQUEE!

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Jan 27, 2005 @ 9:16 AM

Wasn't there a rumor last year that Graham and Carson were seeing each other? Granted, Graham had nothing to do, but neither does Jai and I love him anyway. I also thought Graham got off one of the best lines of the night, after the MB explained that, yes, he got his hair cut by a regular stylist: "Is he...licensed?"

But then, I laugh at practically anything Graham says, so don't mind me.

The MB was so neurotic about his hair; poor guy still believes he's totally cool and hip (Really, I am! I'm in music!), and the hair was proof of that. I'm glad Kyan made him blurry enough with wine that he was able to let it go, but I betcha anything he grows it right back.

I think his friend had one of the best reactions ever -- mouth completely agape and unable to speak.

skittl3862

skittl3862

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2005 @ 2:57 PM

Graham Norton and Carson seeing each other? I missed hearing about that rumor...I somehow doubt it would work, though.

TGC-64

TGC-64

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2005 @ 6:15 PM

Graham Norton and Carson seeing each other? I missed hearing about that rumor...I somehow doubt it would work, though.

That might explain the catty remark about Carson "doing" an Englishman in the plane-setup.

Bigwheels1971

Bigwheels1971

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2005 @ 8:47 PM

Sometimes I want to ask Ted, "Can you cook something I've heard of, for once?" I love trying new things. Sometimes though, I wish he would dial it down and make hamburgers.

kikidee

kikidee

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2005 @ 9:37 PM

Last week I read an article about some of the new cars premiered at the Detroit Auto Show, then I watched the end bit of Queer Eye. That night I dreamt that there was a big Pride parade, but it looked exactly like the Woodward Dream Cruise. In the dream some guy was setting off major rainbow color fireworks from the back of a classic 1950's convertible. Another guy was standing next to me and said, "This is a strange Pride parade. What is with all the cars?" and I said, "What do you expect, it's Detroit."
I thought it was a fairly amusing dream and thought I'd share.

gemini617

gemini617

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2005 @ 11:45 PM

Graham Norton is Irish. He even wears the most adorable Made In Ireland tee. He does live in London, so he could technically be considered an Englishman.

kikidee, my mom is from Clawson. Her fantasy is to drive her convertible Mustang in the Woodward Cruise. Maybe I could talk her into it. I don't think she'd mind if we stuck a rainbow flag on and hopped in.

skittl3862

skittl3862

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2005 @ 12:50 AM

He does live in London, so he could technically be considered an Englishman.

You probably don't want to say that to an Irishman, they don't like to be associated with each other normally.

I'm kind of sorry I missed the show this week. I'd completely lost track of what day of the week it was. I have my phone calendar set to go off when the repeat airs this Satuday, because I miss Graham Norton and a hot Kyan is good.

I now miss our meet market even more. I was on another messsage board and was completely flamed for saying that the Mary Martin version of Peter Pan was one of my favorite movie musicals. Apparently, it doesn't "count" as a movie, since it was just a taped version of the stage show. Thank god for TWoP.

Edited by skittl3862, Jan 28, 2005 @ 12:50 AM.

BillieJean

BillieJean

Posted Jan 28, 2005 @ 4:59 PM

Sheesh, this episode was awesome. That guy's physical transformation was unbelievable. Did he not look like a total rock star after the fab five were done with him??

The prawn touching incident was hilarious as well...

discolash

discolash

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 28, 2005 @ 6:13 PM

So, I missed the ep, but what was the situation exactly with Graham showing up!

It looks as if Graham's canceled on CC and he may go back to BBCA but the Kumars have in a way usurped his spot.

MidniteBlue

MidniteBlue

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 29, 2005 @ 5:03 PM

The preview for next week's ep is up on Bravo's QE website. Looks pretty funny. Too bad I won't be able to see it for a while. :-(

absolutelyisis

absolutelyisis

Posted Jan 29, 2005 @ 6:06 PM

I got to see this episode this morning, and loved it. It's like the good old gays! I liked when Simon was talking about being out with Mary, and "blokes" who saw them from behind saying "You go for the black girl, I'll go for the blonde." Simon looked so much better post-MB, and his house was fab! I liked Mary, too, she was a very sweet woman who wasn't afraid to tell her beau he looked "lovely."

Oh, and the prawns? Too funny.

skittl3862, I miss our meet market, too. No other show I watch has a meet market, so where do I go to talk about Riz, Son of Isis and other members of the Isis pantheon?

skittl3862

skittl3862

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2005 @ 6:59 PM

isis, I know what you mean. We should just invade another meet market for some random show and take over.

I saw the episode yesterday too. Simon was such a cutie; for the first time in months, I was actually looking forward to seeing him succeed in the end. And Kyan was definitely HOT this week, especially when he took off the jacket at the salon and was just in the vest...yum.

Pics from rehearsals of Jais' show and an article. Carson is singing "Popular" from Wicked, which is totally my theme song, so that's awesome.

From the article:

"I also go into the mistakes I made coming to New York at 19," he says.

"I thought I could finally be 'gay,' but I couldn't find my niche. I ended up getting involved in the wrong kinds of things, like drugs."

I would have never thought of Jai as being mixed up with that, but I guess anyone can, given the right circumstances.

Edited by skittl3862, Jan 30, 2005 @ 7:01 PM.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Jan 30, 2005 @ 10:06 PM

Did anyone catch the name of the little pads for under the eyes? I rewound about a million times and swore he said "Lotus Sculpt" but I'm not finding it.

I totally agree about the Peter Tork comparison! I knew he reminded me of someone!

I don't think all men have to have short hair - we've only had one MB get to keep his hair? (My bf had short hair when I met him, it's now down to the middle of his back and I would have to slap Kyan - okay, gently - if he talked my man into cutting it!)

I only got to see the last half hour - I look forward to the whole thing - he was sweet, Mary was sweet, he was actually talented - and it's worth watching again, just to see him agonize over touching the shrimp!!