Be Careful Out There: Forum Announcements & Answers

• Please log in to reply

367 replies to this topic

Lila

Lila

Posted Jan 19, 2005 @ 5:46 AM

So you know: I'm going to do recaplets for the first two episodes this week as placeholders, and we'll have the usual recaplet/full recap for episode #3. I will go back and do full recaps for the first two episodes as I have time (because who needs sleep?) so thanks for your patience on that. If you're just starting with the show now, it's worth mentioning that the miniseries was recapped by Aaron (thank god) so you can catch up that way, or the DVD is rentable. And yes, it was kind of ponderous.

I really appreciate the fact that those who are ahead of the US/Canada schedule are being careful about spoiler tags; thank you so much for that. I am going to immediately be ungrateful and ask you folks to help me out a little more. If there's a problem, or a potential problem, in the spoiler topic, please let me know, because I'll probably be skimming when I go in there, and may miss something. (If you're ever torn between wanting to call my attention to something and not wanting to spoil me, that's sweet, but don't sweat it. I'll be bummed for a few minutes and move on to "I know a secret!" so it's not a big deal.)

For problems like that, or untagged spoilers elsewhere, or any other questions or concerns, posting here is usually a marginally faster way to reach me, since it skips the spam-filter, but my inbox is always open if you prefer to email.

Doing two shows is bound to cut into my goof-off time, so I may not post as frequently, but rest assured that I'm around every day. If you email me about something that isn't urgent, it might take me a little while to get back to you, so I hope you'll be understanding about that. Thanks again for all your coolitude.

Aurelian

Aurelian

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2005 @ 10:29 AM

Glark edited a post in the Baltar topic earlier but another poster managed to quote the spoiler hint later in the thread, which should also probably be edited.

Lila

Lila

Posted Jan 19, 2005 @ 1:40 PM

Fixed, thanks.

Kalbear

Kalbear

Stalker

Posted Jan 19, 2005 @ 4:05 PM

Whoops. I misread entirely what you just said and screwed up. A poster in the spoiler topic is using spoiler tags instead of just saying 'ep 1-13' or some such. I'll go edit my lame-ass post.

Lila

Lila

Posted Jan 19, 2005 @ 4:41 PM

I missed whatever you'd said, so... you get to live. This time! Er, I mean, "no problem."

Lila

Lila

Posted Jan 22, 2005 @ 2:57 AM

Folks, if the episode topic is opened before the show is over (or has even started), that doesn't mean you should start posting. The FAQ is very clear; don't post until the episode is over. We're having issues with the time-lock, but that shouldn't matter since the locks are a convenience to keep people from doing what they shouldn't do anyway. If you post during the episode, you get warned. Period.

Vercingetorix

Vercingetorix

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2005 @ 9:40 AM

Is there a topic for BSG tech discussion, for example "what's the minimum number of people they could drop off to start a colony," or "do they have faster than light communications, and if not, shouldn't there be ships returning to Caprica for months?"

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Jan 24, 2005 @ 10:05 AM

The Noise In Space: Nitpicking BG thread seems like the place to me to go for tech discussions. Also, there's a Spacecraft of Battlestar Galactica thread as well, though that's a bit more focused.

Edited by cutecouple, Jan 24, 2005 @ 10:09 AM.

Lila

Lila

Posted Jan 24, 2005 @ 10:13 AM

I'm not really sure how the "number of people to start a colony" question counts as tech. The nitpick thread seems right for the question about FTL communications, but the other one seems unrelated to the show, honestly, since they aren't doing that and there's no hint that they plan to. Am I missing something?

Vercingetorix

Vercingetorix

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2005 @ 10:38 AM

I'm interested in total bluesky speculation on that one. The specific reason I was curious was because I think it would make strategic sense to hide new colonies from the cylons rather than keeping all their eggs in one rag-tag fleet and wondered what the minimum number of people you'd need would be.

Hmm. Now that I put it that way, maybe speculation, but if you think that kind of stuff is too far off-topic, I can gladly live without it. Thanks, cutecouple and Strega.

kalinara

kalinara

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 6, 2005 @ 1:48 PM

I've a question about Spoiler policy. If for example in one of the character threads, I were to say something like "The idea of who might be Roslin's successor will be readdressed in a later episode", provided that's a true statement, would that require spoiler tags?

ETA: Ahh, gotcha, thanks!

Edited by kalinara, Feb 6, 2005 @ 2:03 PM.

Glark

Glark

Posted Feb 6, 2005 @ 1:57 PM

Yes. Read the ground rules thread, it's pretty clear on the zero tolerance policy toward info/hints on upcoming episodes.

Curare

Curare

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2005 @ 3:52 PM

I had a question about how we can treat the deleted scenes on the Sci-FI website. Can we just mention them in the ep theards that are already up? I don't know if there is a special procedure or whatnot. Thanks.

Number6

Number6

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2005 @ 5:41 PM

I think we need a thread about octagons and other matters polyhedral.

It's probably the key to the whole show!

Lila

Lila

Posted Feb 8, 2005 @ 8:07 PM

The deleted scenes from episodes that have aired are fair game for discussion; I figure that's pretty much the same as promo material from the network.

I think the octagons are too overwhelming in their awesome might to be contained to a mere thread. Heh.

kalinara

kalinara

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 9, 2005 @ 10:20 AM

Would it be okay to start a (single) character thread for speculation/comments on various dead, non-major character folk like Zak, Ms. Adama, Flattop, the former CAG, Boxey's Dad, et al? It might be nice to be able to discuss them without having to relate them to the major characters/flooding those threads.

Lila

Lila

Posted Feb 9, 2005 @ 11:21 AM

I can't imagine how much there is to say about people who appeared in a couple of scenes without relating them to the main characters. A thread seems like overkill. You can always discuss minor characters in the relevant episode thread, if for some reason the existing character threads don't fit what you want to say.

Curare

Curare

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2005 @ 10:38 AM

I was wondering if it would be okay to ask people to post a link to something that might expand on something of interest but not related to the topic in the thread. In the religion topic someone posted a lot about Greek myths and I found that stuff interesting if it was off-topic. Is e-mail the way to go instead?

Lila

Lila

Posted Feb 10, 2005 @ 10:45 AM

Email or the Meet Market thread, yeah.

meret118

meret118

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 11, 2005 @ 7:35 PM

Is there a thread for manipulated images, wallpapers, captions etc? I've looked, but didn't see one.

Lila

Lila

Posted Feb 12, 2005 @ 1:19 AM

No, there isn't. I'd like to keep creative efforts-type threads to a minimum right now, because there's really enough going on while the show's airing. Sorry.

Curare

Curare

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2005 @ 10:38 PM

Can we submit poll ideas and if so what's the best way to do so? I'm guessing e-mail but I'd rather be sure. Thanks.

Edited by Curare, Feb 17, 2005 @ 10:39 PM.

aliana

aliana

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2005 @ 10:16 PM

please take comments about the promos for the next episode to the speculation thread

Is that speculation with or without spoilers? I had a question about the content of the previews which I posted in spec without spoilers. I know that according to the General FAQ aired previews are not spoilers but is your policy for this show different?

ETA: Thanks for the clarification, Strega.

Edited by aliana, Feb 27, 2005 @ 1:31 AM.

cuiusquemodi

cuiusquemodi

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2005 @ 10:47 PM

I always thought anything aired within the official context of the show as not a spoiler, but that's just my tuppence.

Kalbear

Kalbear

Stalker

Posted Feb 27, 2005 @ 12:58 AM

Strega can strike me down with great vengeance if I'm wrong (or, well, if she feels like it I suppose), but here's my knowledge of it. Anything that has shown on actual TV is not a spoiler. The only reason you're not supposed to talk about it on the ep thread is that it's not anything to do with the current ep, and it derails the topic a bit. It's spec without spoilers.

Lila

Lila

Posted Feb 27, 2005 @ 1:07 AM

You want the speculation thread. The basic FAQ definition of a spoiler works here, so nope, previews aren't spoilers. And if this is why you were unsure: comments about promos should go in the spec thread because they're not about the current episode. It's not that they're spoilers, it's that they drag things off-topic.

(I think this isn't one of my most coherent evenings so if that didn't make sense, please let me know and I'll give it another try when I've slept.)

(Er, or what everyone else said. But now it's official! Heh.)

Edited by Strega, Feb 27, 2005 @ 1:09 AM.

CaptainSnarky

CaptainSnarky

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 12:53 PM

I noticed there's not a "You know you're obssessed with BSG when..." thread and was wondering if it'd be okay to start one...

Lila

Lila

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 2:37 PM

Curare -- whoops, I must have missed your post yesterday, sorry! You mean in the forums? If you're really keen on a poll idea, you're welcome email me, yeah. But bear in mind that 1) I'm a bit contrary sometimes, and 2) right now there aren't any polls because I just don't have time to mess with them.

CaptainSnarky -- Hm. Would you settle for calling it "BSG Changed My Life!" or something similar? The "You know you're obsessed..." topics are sort of list-y; it's just everyone filling in a punchline, and that gets a little predictable. So maybe changing that fill-in-the-blank structure would let people express how much they like/hate/care about the show in a more conversational style? And if some people want to start their post with "You know you're..." they can, it's just not the way every single post starts. Does that work?

CaptainSnarky

CaptainSnarky

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 11:22 PM

Ooh, I like it!!

paulvdb

paulvdb

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2005 @ 4:43 AM

I assume that spoilers for other shows also aren't allowed here. There's this post in the Cast Member In Other Roles thread that has some spoilers for the Stargate SG-1 season finale that already aired in the UK but not in the US.