Model Clones

• Please log in to reply

1355 replies to this topic

Knots Landing

Knots Landing

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2005 @ 1:24 AM

When America's Next Top Model premiered, model as a celebrity was pretty much dead. One day I happened to catch the show, and like a lot of other people I thought, Why would they do a show about models? It turns out the show is great, and that models are very fun to watch.

Now heading into it's fourth season, a slew of ripoffs have arrived. All trying to be the best, but they still suck. Here are a few I've noticed, feel free to add to the list/discuss the ones I have. :)

Manhunt - Pretty much a male version of Top Model. It even uses IMG Models which used to represent the Top Model winners. Difference is, it's horrible. These men are more catty than the women. As far as modelling goes, they were also pretty mediocre. Eliminations weren't based on modelling talent, but things like, "Oh you're to tall" and "You don't look like a stereotypical male model." This leads me to wonder why these people were cast in the first place? And yes, in the end they did get a very stereotypical model who can't do anything good.

SI's Swimsuit Model Search - This ridiculous show recently started on NBC. It's pure NBC too, every episode features some kind of dramatic stunt than doesn't live up to the promise. As far as modelling goes, the girls are well, lacking. Out of over 10 girls, we have maybe one or two actual models. They don't take it seriously, the photoshoots suck. What's to like? The drama. This is all I find myself watching for.

Australia's Next Top Model - I believe this is our very first local remake and from the looks of it's website, it's probably pretty good. The pictures I've seen are really good (can rival the American show) and the models overall seem to have a good modelling look. Hopefully they'll find a way to air this in America. Maybe on Trio or something.

So what does everybody think of all the model copycats we're getting these days? Do you think any will actually overtake Top Model for the modelling show?

GCMJ

GCMJ

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 19, 2005 @ 6:48 AM

I think the girls from the "SI's Swimsuit Model Search " look more model like than the hamsters. But ANTM is a lot more entertaining, probably because the girls are so regular.

Sarah22

Sarah22

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 19, 2005 @ 8:38 AM

They are making a UK version of ANTM this year as well. Should be interesting, but I doubt it will come close to the US version.

We did have a modelling show in England years ago (just like ANTM), before ANTM was made in the US which was pretty good.

neapeaikea

neapeaikea

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 8, 2005 @ 1:10 PM

Next week the Scandinavian Top Model starts here in Sweden. Basically, Sweden, Norway and Denmark are all gonna have their own shows and "winner", but in the finale all three winners meet for the judges to decide which country gets "the honor". It could end up just soooo bad, just like the Scandi Real World, because the only famous Swedish model is Emma Sjögren and she's not going anywhere near the production. I'm dreading to see who the judges are.
But first, the 3rd Season finale of America's Top Model is on tomorrow.

ShaShaShawn

ShaShaShawn

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 16, 2005 @ 1:35 AM

Apparently there's going to be Toronto's Next Top Model...which I don't understand. Why not just do all of Canada? Are the rest of us really that ugly? Damn you, Toronto! We can't all be blessed with good genes!

mysticowl

mysticowl

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2005 @ 2:07 AM

Aside from other country's versions of ANTM, it's Starlet that seems the cloniest of the clones to me, from the promo they're showing at least. It practically looks like the promo for ANTM's acting episodes.

Hershey Kisses

Hershey Kisses

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 1, 2005 @ 2:28 PM

On the website for er, 'Torontos Next Top Model' the silouette picture - isn't that Yaya's second shot (used as the thumbnail shot for her)? The one where she looks more like a popstar as opposed to a model?

nunna

nunna

Posted Mar 1, 2005 @ 3:30 PM

I agree neapeaike. Doesn't sound like the odds are any good. There are only a few places I think it really works. Is there any talk of one in Brazil?

Late Lamented

Late Lamented

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2005 @ 4:30 PM

The small but devoted group of British ANTM fans are getting excited because Britain's Next Top Model starts this week. You can have a look at the contestants here if you're interested, although I have to say several of them are a bit on the "homely" side.

I'm really not up to speed on who our judges are, either; Marie Helvin's name I recognise, but I've never heard of Lisa Butcher.

Hershey Kisses

Hershey Kisses

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 10, 2005 @ 4:44 PM

Late Lamented - I am a Bristish ANTM fan and I must agree. When 'Lisa Butcher' came to appear, I didn't even blink an eye. Here's to hoping it'll be better than Model Behaviour and Make Me a Supermodel (that show was so ghastly it was unbelievable. In ANTM, they do the judging process in this real big room with gold drapes. On MMaS, they congregated on the stair landing and those that were through got to go stand in the corridor).

I think Edwina is lovely, though the picture on the website is frankly scary.

CouldxBe

CouldxBe

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 10, 2005 @ 5:55 PM

Make Me A Supermodel made me fear for life here on Britain.
Since when has Rachel Hunter ever been considered as a supermodel?

ETA: One of the hamsters actually lists 'Charmed' as her favourite show. Poor deluded girl. And yet, I'm about to go and check the Charmed board...

Edited by CouldxBe, Sep 10, 2005 @ 6:00 PM.

Aja

Aja

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2005 @ 3:40 AM

deleted

Edited by Aja, Nov 21, 2005 @ 7:21 AM.

Raisin

Raisin

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 11, 2005 @ 10:40 AM

Australia's Next Top Model is by far waaaay better than anything else I've ever seen. The girls, in my opinion, are much more real and you get to know their personalities much better than on America's.. The Tyra, Erika is some Australian super model and I loved her so much!!! She's got such a sense of humor and is much more present in the model's every day lives (unlike Tyra's little unexpected pop-ups). Anyways the show was way more fun than any ANTM season I've seen. Look out for the girl Sam, she's awesome, and look out for the nude shoot.. it's seriously some of the nicest pictures I've seen!!!!

Hershey Kisses

Hershey Kisses

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 11, 2005 @ 11:35 AM

I agree, I've been watching it all weekend, putting it on tape for memorabilia's sake

Dorkgirl

Dorkgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2005 @ 12:43 PM

I despair for 'Britain's NTM'. They're either 5 years too old or 3-5 inches too short.

Or fugly.

But yeah, i'll be watching it *sigh* I guess it can't be any worse than 'Make Me A Supermodel' with the hideous Rachel Hunter. I'd even prefer a re-run of the Model Behaviour show, with actual 16! year olds. Actually, i'd quite like to see what happened with the girls that were entered in that.

fouroclock

fouroclock

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2005 @ 10:14 PM

I also heard Germany's doing a Gremany's Next Top Model with Heidi as the host.

Aja

Aja

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2005 @ 2:55 AM

deleted

Edited by Aja, Nov 21, 2005 @ 7:21 AM.

Dorkgirl

Dorkgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 12, 2005 @ 4:48 AM

I saw the Australian one a while ago, and now watching it again, the same thing occured to me. Why DID they pick Gemma over Chloe. They seemed to think more of Chloe as a model and they certainly seemed to hate Gemma at times. I guess her crying and tantrums peed everyone off, and hostylady looked about ready to slap her half the time. Even when she was announced as the winner, the judges were all strangely low key about it.

And those last shots of the 3, with the one big light on them? Were AWFUL. A first year photography student could come up with better than that. All three of them looked terrible. I think one of the judges even commented that they did the girls no favours. However the underwear shots in duos they took, or the gold leaf shots were fantastic, and actually looked like professional ad campaigns (Were you watching, Tyra?).

Zoe was totally my favourite at the start, so it was a shame to see she was kind of a cow with no real drive for it. Sam was awesome, huge opinion of herself, but knew what she was there for and knew when to draw the line, unlike Alana.

Aja - the 12 or so finalist have been announced. They're up on the website. There's a couple on there that are promising. But just from those photos, who knows. Roll on Wednesday!

Edited by Dorkgirl, Sep 12, 2005 @ 5:03 AM.

Late Lamented

Late Lamented

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 12, 2005 @ 6:56 AM

Reading the recaps of Australia's Next Top Model on the official site made me stop in my tracks when I realised how strange "Erika Mail" sounded instead of "Tyra Mail". I wonder if Britain's Next Top Model is going to have "Lisa Mail"?

pyashun

pyashun

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 12, 2005 @ 8:22 AM

Is Tyra's company producing all these other shows as well? The title font and format is identical, so I'm assuming she (and/or Baby TyTy productions) is involved in the franchise (for lack of a better word). If so, rock it with your home weave, Raggedy Ann!

Raisin

Raisin

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 13, 2005 @ 9:50 AM

It kind of confounded me that they picked Gemma over Chloe to be the winner

Personally, I liked Gemma better despite the mini-tantrums.. I think those were all due to the depression thing. I also watched the reunion show and she mentioned that the editors exagerrated the crying and that other girls cried even more than she did, but they didn't focus on them as much. Chloe was really stunning but I don't think she had enough of a personality to actually be the winner of the show. Yes, she will probably make it in the modeling world by herself, but the winners of the shows usually have to have that sparkle thing Tyra is always blabbing about. Chloe really didn't make an effort in a lot of the competitions, the dancing or the acting. Her personality wasn't there. Did anyone think that maybe Shannon should have won? She was my favorite!!! They said she was too short but her pics were awesome I think, and she was the funniest girl since Brittany.

Knots Landing

Knots Landing

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2005 @ 11:06 AM

Oh this is horrifying. First Australia, now Britain? Ah, as an ANTM nut, I desperately want to see these, but the US never gets these imports. Since they're all done by Tyrant and Co, they should air them in the US.

Vh1 often does ANTM marathons and UPN has lots of space to fill once all their shows get cancelled. You'd think with it being UPN's #1 show they'd air the international versions to fill in the gap.

Hell, who am I kidding, I'm just desperate for some international Top Model.

Hershey Kisses

Hershey Kisses

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 13, 2005 @ 12:39 PM

BNTM starts tomorrow evenign at 9pm, LivingTV. I'm so excited it's unbelievable. I've made like a little seat for myself on the sofa with grooves for various bowls of food so I don't have to leave the television even once. Of course, I don't plan to sit in the seat tonight and wait for tomorrow (though I do have a pillow and a blanket down there) but that's how excited I am.

Front-Runners - Edwina, Steph...uh, can't really remember the rest. Opinions?

ags

ags

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2005 @ 5:18 PM

Is Tyra's company producing all these other shows as well? The title font and format is identical, so I'm assuming she (and/or Baby TyTy productions) is involved in the franchise (for lack of a better word). If so, rock it with your home weave, Raggedy Ann!

I have been wondering the same thing. I know that Ken Mok is the executive producer, so I have been trying to figure out between him and Tyra how they divide up the pie and who runs the franchise.

Late Lamented

Late Lamented

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2005 @ 4:40 AM

It's interesting how, from the first episode, Britain's Next Top Model seems to be modelling itself (ha!) on cycle 2 of America's Next Top Model: picking all the girls up in a bus, sending them straight to a runway show without any kind of training, sending them off for runway training straight afterwards. Admittedly we didn't have a nude photoshoot off the bat, so that might be where the chief differences occur.

It does seem like an inferior knockoff of ANTM to a certain extent, but I'm actually pleasantly surprised by it - the girls look like they could be interesting, some of them have potential, and although I still have no idea who Lisa Butcher is, I'm warming to her. She doesn't have Tyra's love for the camera, but that might work out in her favour, since it doesn't seem like she wants it to be her show. I can't see us being presented with the recording of Lisa's first music video later in the series, for example.

One gripe: I can see myself hating Marisa far more than I ever hated Yaya. At least Yaya was attractive. Marisa looks like she got her chin on a "buy one, get three free" deal.

Aja

Aja

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2005 @ 5:36 AM

deleted

Edited by Aja, Nov 21, 2005 @ 7:23 AM.

Dorkgirl

Dorkgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2005 @ 6:47 AM

I missed it as well. Pfft. And being on Living TV as it is, i'm unlikely to ever be passing by it at the actual time if they rerun it.

I would think that it IS an bit of a cheap knockoff of ANTM. With that name, it's probably contracted from Tyra's company and so they would have to stick relatively closely to the format of the original. Which i think is a mistake. We don't DO the over the top glamour shows as well as the Americans can. A more gritty, documentary model show would have worked better for our NTM. But then, they would have had to use actual models.

*writes on hand* Must watch next week in order to properly slag it off.

Coccinelle

Coccinelle

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 27, 2005 @ 10:18 PM

I recently watched the season of Australia's Next top Model, and I do admit it was better than any season of the American one, but I was so let down by the conclusion. After Allana left, the judges seemed to dislike Chloe and Gemma the most, and they ended up being the last two. I agree that Chloe was great model, and I would have accepted her win (although I was rooting for Simone, Shannon, Zoe and Sam), but Gemma? She had the height, but what a brat! "I don't want to exercise! Booo-hoo! I shouldn't have been elimated for the dancing, I was on time! They weren't! Boo-hoo! I hate pants!" And it wasn't like she was stunning, she had such a generic look... Bah! Lame!

consterno

consterno

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 28, 2005 @ 12:01 AM

" I hate pants" ?

I wish I could watch this show.

Edited by consterno, Sep 28, 2005 @ 12:00 AM.

Aja

Aja

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2005 @ 2:47 AM

deleted

Edited by Aja, Nov 21, 2005 @ 7:24 AM.