Scheduling & Ratings Issues

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1629 replies to this topic

Glark

Glark

Posted Jan 16, 2005 @ 11:19 PM

Grid-y! Rating-y!
For U.S. and overseas info.

Hannibal Khan

Hannibal Khan

Fanatic

• Location:Tennessee, in the middle of the godforsaken Red States.

Posted Jan 16, 2005 @ 11:34 PM

I wonder what Skiffy's threshold is for ratings for this show is... I remember how everything in the universe back in the day was compared to how well f-ing Stargate did.

Hopefully, Skiffy will remain hands off and remember what they're there for... to show Sci-Fi.

Glark

Glark

Posted Jan 17, 2005 @ 12:13 AM

So is this latest aired episode list correct as of the 17th?

U.S. - 1-2: "Water"
Canada - 1-1: "33"
UK - 1-11: "Colonial Day"

The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2005 @ 12:24 AM

According to my TV's channel guide, Sci-Fi channel is replaying 33 and Water back-to-back starting at 4:00 PM EST Tomorrow.

Hannibal Khan

Hannibal Khan

Fanatic

• Location:Tennessee, in the middle of the godforsaken Red States.

Posted Jan 17, 2005 @ 3:26 AM

God forbid they show it during the Monday "Stargate, whether you like it or not" power hours.

beachknitter

beachknitter

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 17, 2005 @ 8:33 AM

So is this latest aired episode list correct as of the 17th?

U.S. - 1-2: "Water"
Canada - 1-1: "33"
UK - 1-11: "Colonial Day"

That looks right to this Canadian... but the episode thread is for Water and 33, making it difficult to read the postings for 33 and remained unspoiled for Water.

Glark

Glark

Posted Jan 17, 2005 @ 9:58 AM

That's the way it is.

ixoy

ixoy

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 17, 2005 @ 4:47 PM

FYI - The UK and Ireland just had episode 12 aired. Umm if you want the episode title, probably look elsewhere..could be considered spoilerish.

Andrew J.

Andrew J.

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 18, 2005 @ 10:58 PM

Sci Fi put out a press release today about the ratings for Friday's premiere, which were pretty damned good. "33" beat Enterprise by a significant margin (something like .75 points and more than a million viewers), and it also beat Jonny Zero on Fox and a CSI: Miami rerun on CBS. The two episodes were the highest-rated Friday broadcasts in Sci Fi's history--yep, better than Stargate has ever done, better than Farscape has ever done, better than any of their miniseries--and won the night in every male demographic segment. After such a performance, I don't think the channel will be asking Moore and Eick to make any changes anytime soon...

SmokingCatamite

SmokingCatamite

Posted Jan 18, 2005 @ 11:03 PM

Those are very good numbers but I think the better indicator is going to be what the ratings are like a few weeks from now.

AgentX

AgentX

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2005 @ 11:50 PM

Here's an article that says it was the 2nd highest rated series premiere in SciFi history:

Galactica was the top-rated show on cable for the evening in several key demographics, including viewers 25 to 54, viewers 18 to 49, men 18-34, men 18-49, and men 25-54. The premiere was the highest-rated first quarter (January through March) event in SCI FI's history, and its second-highest rated series premiere. Only the July 2005 premiere of Stargate Atlantis scored higher (a 3.2 rating).

Great ratings news for BSG.

Aurelian

Aurelian

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2005 @ 11:55 PM

Now if we can only get an early renewal order so we can get rolling on season 2.

Dane

Dane

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 19, 2005 @ 12:06 AM

Here in my area, we got "33/Water" at 9 & 10 on Friday. I was actually surprised to find out later that everywhere else, it was up against Enterprise at 8.

Anyone know why, not that I'm complaining? After all, I get to have my cake and eat it too ... unless this was some weird, one-time only thing.

Lila

Lila

Posted Jan 19, 2005 @ 2:23 AM

I think it's because you're in Ohio, and the feeds for the central time zone don't synch up with the coasts. Presumably you're getting the Sci-Fi eastern feed, so the show will always be 9 PM Fridays. Sci-Fi's site will you the different regional schedules (lower left box).

Amelie06

Amelie06

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2005 @ 9:23 AM

I'm so excited by the good ratings! I hope this means that BG is here to stay. Between the incredible reviews and the great ratings, I feel like I am finally backing the right horse. I have started on so many shows, only to be bitterly disappointed by their failure. BG, you have restored my faith in my ability to pick hits!

Dane

Dane

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 19, 2005 @ 11:41 AM

Thanks, Strega. I appreciate the info. And the fact that evidently Fridays will be good Sci-fi nights from here on in!

Cantab

Cantab

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 19, 2005 @ 4:15 PM

Hopefully this is the right place to post about renewal for season two, and I haven't seen anyone else mention this news, even though it's from last week.

Now Playing magazine has Ron Moore confirming that Sci-Fi has ordered the first six scripts of season two (WARNING: semi-spoilery (Episode 5) picture at the top of the article). Though he's careful to say that they're back-up scripts and no decision has been made about season two itself.

Kalbear

Kalbear

Stalker

Posted Jan 19, 2005 @ 4:34 PM

Well, that's encouraging.

AgentX

AgentX

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2005 @ 4:43 PM

Yeah, I'm quite pleased with that news. Even if they are just 'back-up' scripts.

Silver Angel's Mom

Silver Angel's Mom

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2005 @ 2:15 PM

Strega, dahling, as someone born and raised in OH, eastern time zone. The very end of it, but eastern none the less.

Lila

Lila

Posted Jan 20, 2005 @ 4:35 PM

Yes, and I was thinking that maybe Dane was getting the eastern feed for central instead of for eastern, since that would throw things off by an hour. I think I expressed that idea very badly, because it was 2:30 in the morning, but that's why I also linked to Sci-Fi's schedule.

Of course, today I learned that BG aired at 9 last week as a one-time thing, and that it'll normally be at 10, which is a much less complicated answer to the question. Is there anything else you're unclear about? Like, whether addressing someone you don't know as "dahling" reads as intentionally snotty and rude? (Hint: Yes.)

Silver Angel's Mom

Silver Angel's Mom

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2005 @ 5:21 PM

Mea culpa. Snottiness not intended. I will watch my tone in the future.

Xya

Xya

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 21, 2005 @ 7:03 PM

Anyone know of a chance that BG will be moved to another, better time slot if it does well? I'm not sure what the coveted spots are on the Sci Fi channel, but it seems to me that Friday at 10pm isn't the best? I could be very wrong about that since it follows SG and SG: Atlantis, which seem to be flagship shows.
Thanks!

Aurelian

Aurelian

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2005 @ 8:42 PM

Yeah, Friday has long been Sci-Fi's marquee night. They put BG in what they consider the prime spot on the schedule. It's also the best night for it as it has the least competition from the networks.

Aredhel

Aredhel

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2005 @ 8:53 PM

I'm glad that Battlestar Galactica is in the Friday at 10 spot. It can do well there; very little competition and a good lead in with the Stargates. If Battlestar can't do well on Fridays at 10, it isn't going to do do well anywhere. Tonight's numbers will be very imporant.

CaptainSnarky

CaptainSnarky

Posted Jan 21, 2005 @ 11:17 PM

I don't watch either Stargate, so I watch Enterprise (*sigh* I know...why do I still bother?), then either the Road to Stardom repeat or the People's Court and then BSG. I am glad they have BSG on at 10--there isn't a bloody thing on any other station that could compete with BSG for my attention. So for my money, 10 on Friday is a fabulous time for the show.

Edited by CaptainSnarky, Jan 21, 2005 @ 11:20 PM.

Wildog27

Wildog27

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2005 @ 1:37 PM

Overnight rating for "Bastille Day" was 3.4, up from 3.3 for "33"/"Water." An unanticipated upwards tic. Click here.

Also, February 1 seems to be the decision date for a second season. Click here.

Scroll to the end of each article for the numbers talk.

idontwannawait

idontwannawait

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 24, 2005 @ 5:30 PM

I really really hope that the ratings uptick remains in effect, because I am DYING for this series to be picked up for a second season. I've gotten a chance to watch through episode 11, and trust me on this... it only gets better. I was thoroughly unimpressed by the miniseries, caught Friday's episode, then got access to the eps 1+2, and through 11. I haven't been this psyched about a show since... a long time. Not a bad/boring ep in the bunch, and I enjoyed this show more than I ever enjoyed ANY Voyager or Enterprise ep. Apples to oranges, I know, but mmmm.

Fingers totally crossed for the final ratings for Bastille day to hold strong, and for this Friday's to continue the upward trend.

Warden

Warden

Stalker

Posted Jan 24, 2005 @ 10:44 PM

More info on the ratings from the futoncritic. According to the article, SCIFI owns Friday night.

Kalbear

Kalbear

Stalker

Posted Jan 24, 2005 @ 11:51 PM

Wow. That's really great. I'm especially amused that it's beating the ratings of normal shows on broadcast networks. That it increased in ratings really encourages me.