Battlestar Galactica in the Media

• Please log in to reply

4315 replies to this topic

Effra

Effra

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 31, 2012 @ 11:11 AM

The nickname always bothered me a bit TVspectator - and hi! Those who participated in the Circle sent significantly more people out of the airlock. The airlock is one of those things where I think Laura is often judged by somehow different standards than other characters.

Edited by Effra, Aug 31, 2012 @ 11:36 AM.

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2012 @ 5:05 PM

Those who participated in the Circle sent significantly more people out of the airlock. The airlock is one of those things where I think Laura is often judged by somehow different standards than other characters.

I really don't think Laura is being judge by different standards then the other characters, and she was the first one who came up with the idea of throwing Cylons, suspected Cylons, and Cylon sympathizers (that we saw on the show) out the airlock. IMO, Adama seemed pretty shocked that she was using such a badass tactic. The nickname, "Madame Airlock," was given to her by the fans who saw her actions back in season 1 and it's more of an acknowledgment of her badassness (although, there were times throughout the series where, IMO she was a frakking ruthless person):

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ANqYvooR4Rs

And finally Effra -hi to you too!

Edited by TVspectator, Sep 1, 2012 @ 9:39 PM.

Effra

Effra

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 2, 2012 @ 2:12 AM

Unless I am misremembering something doesn't it start with Leoben? I really can't see that Adama would have done anything else there. The more striking thing there is that she lies to Leoben first. Then she threatens Sharon with the airlock but actually decides to use her to help whilst Adama has to be stopped from killing her. Then Adama and Roslin seem to be on exactly the same wavelength about chucking the Cavils out of the airlock.

I think you're right TVspectator that is was used by fans as making her badass. It just always bothers me a bit probably irrationally because of the way I think Laura's actions are often perceived relatively to other charcaters' action when it comes to killing and violence and in politics when the comparison is made with Lee.

MyAlias

MyAlias

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2012 @ 3:49 PM

Had to put this somewhere: "Sounds of Cylons."

clare 32

clare 32

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 20, 2012 @ 3:56 PM

Thank you for that link. "... Bowed and prayed to producers Ron and Dave ..." Good stuff.

Edited by clare 32, Oct 20, 2012 @ 3:59 PM.

jcin617

jcin617

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 7:14 PM

Battlestar: Blood and Chrome premieres Friday, November 9th as a web-series, leading up to the two hour movies on SyFy in 2013. The full trailer is the link.

toastnbutter

toastnbutter

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 12:38 PM

Watching the webisodes now!!

Irish Wolf

Irish Wolf

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2012 @ 4:16 AM

So, there's this sitcom on ABC called Last Man Standing. Saw a synopsis of tonight's episode on the cable channel guide - apparently, Mom's job involves hydraulic fracturing (or "fracking"), and daughter's trying to get her to quit before Career Day.

The episode was entitled, "Mother Frackers".

madam president

madam president

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 13, 2013 @ 9:40 PM

A mom had this sweet dress-up idea for her chronically ill 5 year old daughter-inspired by Roslin; it also includes Starbuck costumes. 

http://gma.yahoo.com...-parenting.html

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Nov 18, 2013 @ 10:27 PM

Aw, thank you for that link, madam president.  That was a really sweet story and that little girl is adorable.  Here's hoping there's soon a cure for her disease.  I particularly liked The Closer, Brenda Leigh costume, because the mom went for the lipstick on that.  It was just one of those funny things in early seasons, one of the character choices was this really startling shade of coral lipstick.  They thankfully abandoned it after a couple of seasons, but I like that the mom went ahead and did that.  

Funny though, there are only about five minutes total of Kara Thrace that a five-year-old would be allowed to watch :-) 

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Feb 27, 2014 @ 6:31 PM

Oh poor old BSG.  A series that answered so many questions about its premise, it sort of cut-off much future discussion, by providing too much information.  If a webisode didn't tell you something, a TV Movie did.  As a result, no one ever seems to talk about it any longer.  

I've wondered why that is and I think a big part of it is that throughout the series, it felt like viewers were encouraged to pick a side: Cylon or Human and really invest in that along with the characters.  Then the super sneaky coda that told us that no matter which side you pick, or didn't pick, we were just talking about us.  That's something I think most viewers knew all along on some level, but it got too blunt for comfort and ongoing discussion of the series doesn't seem to go on much.  

So anyway, here's something that recently popped up.  The AV Club reviewing in a roundtable manner, an episode of BSG.  None other than Unfinished Business.  Oh man, the irony, seeing as BSG is finished business for most discussions.  

But I think the review really nailed something, even if it didn't outright state it.  Even I don't talk about it much, I still loved the series and I think most people who did still do so, even if it is with a bit of a wincing acknowledgement of its warts.  It was a series that had a lot of emotional excess and indulgence attached to the stories.  

Still, when I read the review, I remembered that this was the episode when I started to get decidedly nervous about the emotional direction in the show, yet I still cared and at the end, yup, I was heartbroken too.  Funny that the reviewers mentioned Callie specifically.  Poor Nicki Clyne.  I was always particularly brutal on the character, but it was mostly uneven writing.  One of these days maybe I will make it all the way through a rewatch of the series.  I've yet to actually do that since our final one after the show ended.  

I liked that they didn't choose one of the neater, more easily "Oh hell yeah!" type of episodes to get behind.  Neither did they choose a serious stinker (Oh Woman King, thy name is ...blech) .  Instead they chose one that really was indicative of everything that worked and eventually didn't.  The wonky character direction.  Adama spouting a ridiculous amount of blood from no visible wounds and then everyone pretending that the physics of boxing just don't actually exist for the sake of drama and yet I never stopped actually caring despite all that. 

Effra

Effra

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2014 @ 6:04 PM

Hi stillshimpy. I have thought a lot about why generally BSG attracts what seems like so little ongoing discussion. I think partly it's because it's fandom was so compartmentalised. They were so many different shows people were watching. That means people, I think, don't think of it as a singular thing. Even the AV piece on Unfinished Business didn't really manage to put the episode into the bigger picture of the show and this was an episode to which there were quite a number of call backs later on. Yet, at the same time, the finale did make a claim that the show was all of a piece, that the story was all there at the beginning.

I honestly don't think BSG was any more flawed than the other great shows of the last decade. Its just that its biggest problem - the Final Five infection - damages quite visibly at the plot, character, and theme levels whereas some shows' flaws - like The Wire's with female characters for example - are ones of absence. Yet still with the exception perhaps of with Saul I think Daybreak got the show back to the core of the story. It might not have been the story plenty of people wanted, but it makes the show work as a journey story in its own terms with three acts.

In many ways I think the show deserves even more appreciation as time goes by. Every time I start on another show about tortured masculinity and with some kind of anti-hero premise, I remember how much more ambitious BSG was. I am really enjoying True Detective but geez do we need another show that starts with a sexed-up dead female body and two male detectives using it to work through their personal demons? (I must though make a big exception for Masters of Sex. I am absolutely loving that show.)

Edited by Effra, Mar 4, 2014 @ 1:12 PM.

nameless slob

nameless slob

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2014 @ 12:28 PM

[deleted because I think there is a better topic for my post]

Edited by nameless slob, Mar 4, 2014 @ 12:31 PM.

Agent Dark

Agent Dark

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 10, 2014 @ 6:33 PM

One of these days maybe I will make it all the way through a rewatch of the series.  I've yet to actually do that since our final one after the show ended.

I've actually just started to do that with the full box set of Blu-rays, inspired by the Battlestar Galactica Board Game of all things.  Finished Season1, and it's reminded to me just how good this show is (well at least season1...).  I think the only Sci-Fi series I've watched in recent years that comes close to it is Orphan Black.

It was quite fun to go back and watch those characters in their elements.  Starbuck and Apollo were always my favourites when I was watching the broadcasts, largely due to the fact that they were the fighter pilots and I'm a sucker for that stuff.  Baltar of course too.  On the rewatch though I'm really getting into Roslin and Tigh's characters in particular.  And James Callis is still completely in the zone with his character.

Side note: the BSG Board Game from Fantasy Flight Games is really fun.  It's a Co-op game where you take turns to perform actions to help the Galactica jump to Kobol (like repair damage, launch in a viper and destroy Cylons etc) and at the end of your turn you draw a Crisis Card which requires everyone to play in skill cards to help overcome it.  If you pass the Crisis generally nothing happens, but if you fail it Bad Things happen like losing morale or fuel etc.  The catch is, at the start of the game everyone is dealt a Loyalty Card and 1 or 2 players will actually be a Cylon working secretly to sabotage the efforts of the human players.  It really captures the feel of the paranoia over the "There are Cylons among us" theme the show did.  I highly recommend it to anyone, even if they haven't seen the show.  You can play with 3-6 players, though it works best with 5 or 6 to really ramp up that suspicion and paranoia.  

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2014 @ 1:41 PM

I have the board game too, Agent Dark. I gave it to my son when we moved two years ago, since he was old enough to remain behind.

I just wanted to post one more time in the BSG area before the site goes away.

All the words I wrote here. I'd wager close to a million of them.

Memories are like time machines :-) Thanks for all of them, my poor beloved, imperfect show!

Hi Effra! You are the other person who can always be counted on to check out anything BSG related. May the universe bless you! Hopefully I'll see you elsewhere around the 'net :-)

Edited by stillshimpy, Mar 27, 2014 @ 1:42 PM.

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2014 @ 4:26 PM

I just wanted to post one more time in the BSG area before the site goes away.

Wait, this area is going away? When? Why?

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2014 @ 6:06 PM

Yeah, TWoP is closing, TVspectator. Check the front page and then here's a thread link in Bugs and Info about it.

Should we fly our technology into the sun?  

transmetalv2

transmetalv2

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 27, 2014 @ 6:26 PM

I like the way you think stillshimpy, but before we do that...

Alas, the podcast thread is locked. Gven the impending lights-out I hope you will all forgive the off-topic ness, but does anyone know if those writers retreat podcasts for S4.5 ever came out?

It was a pleasure viewing and contemplating the series with you folks lo those many years ago. Farewell all!

Effra

Effra

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2014 @ 6:28 PM

Hi stillshimpy and TVspectator. Had to come in here after hearing the news and was so nice to find you two had just been it. I feel so sad about his ending. I can honestly say discovering this forum changed my life and it has been such a pleasure talking to you guys and the others over the years about this show we've loved. I remember when I first found TWOP when I had fallen big time for BSG just being bowled over by the quality of stuff I was reading and then just wanted to be part of it too. I have posted much more occassionally on other shows but nothing for me was like this community.

Where are you going to go to now?

Thanks for everything. And hopefully find you soon again on the other side.

Edited by Effra, Mar 28, 2014 @ 11:20 AM.

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2014 @ 8:10 PM

Thanks stillshrimpy for the info. When I first signed on I didn't see that note about shutting down next Friday and now I am totally bumed out (and I am still in a state of shock and denial) but I have to thank everyone on this websit for just the sheer amount of typing and sharing ideas and info that can fill several volumes of books. Plus, I always foud this place to be engaging (and putting my many hours of watching TV into a fun hobby). There are so many threads that I have lurk and wrote in but I have always enjoy talking about BSG here, and BSG was my first TWOP show that I typed out a snark.

On another noteI have just joined previously.tv under the name TVSpectator and I hope to see more over there

So Say We All

Edited by TVspectator, Mar 27, 2014 @ 8:18 PM.

JennyBeans

JennyBeans

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 27, 2014 @ 9:16 PM

I joined previously.tv and even though I mostly lurked here...when I saw stillshimpy that you had registered there at around the same time I was so relieved to recognize your username.

But I can't believe I won't be able to refer to the recaps when I need to remember some random bit of esoterica and can't dig out the DVDs (or they are, as is frequently the case, out on loan). 

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2014 @ 3:01 PM

I know what you mean, JennyBeans, that's actually not sinking in so well for me, you know?  However, apparently the wayback machine will be searchable for them.  

TVSpectator, the forums will be here until May 31st, so you can embrace denial and give it a snuggly, huggly cuddle for a bit longer when it comes to the forums.  

Saw you over on Previously, Effra and I'm sure we'll continue to bump into each other there too.  

Edited by stillshimpy, Mar 28, 2014 @ 3:01 PM.

ljmb

ljmb

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2014 @ 12:46 AM

I jus heard about the site closing, and my 1st thought was to checking here one last time. Happy to see Stillshimpy and Effra and so many familiar names...though its been a long time since I've posted, I've kept up reading the BSG posts. Still one of my favorite shows ever, and one ill watch very now and again for many years. It's strange, a few weeks ago BBC America ran the miniseries, and I found myself caught up again in the story and how young they all looked and almost checked in here to talk about it.

So many hours spent sharing with all of you during the show and the many rewatches, so many clever and funny and thoughtful and poignant posts from all of you. I've missed this community and doubt it will be replicated in my life, so thank you to all. The Gods lift up those who lift up each other, and many's the time you all lifted me. So I'll say holy frakamoley one last time and wish everyone well.

Effra

Effra

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2014 @ 6:43 AM

Hi ljmb. I was really hoping you would come back one last time! Like you say it is hard to imagine these conversations and sense of connection will come again in my life and only in part because I can't imagine loving a show again as deeply as I do BSG. There's something about the way this show got inside to people in all kinds of different but complementary ways that meant there was something beautiful in the place where it could be talked about at so many levels. There were times on here where I really did believe in the Lords of Kobol! And you all lifted me too. As for holy frakamoley, it was just magnificent!

Edited by Effra, Mar 29, 2014 @ 7:12 AM.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2014 @ 12:21 PM

Hi ljmb!  Good to see you.  I know we're sort of treating this like the Meet Market, but ours got archived so, what the heck, I suppose.  

I'm so sad about the loss of the forums, you just can't even know.  To this day I'll watch a show I never caught before and I go and read the thread or forums for it, just to see how it went over back in the day.  

On the upside, I guess that pile of books-to-be-read will finally start getting smaller on a regular basis, but there was something so comforting about reading the thoughts of another fan when I couldn't sleep or just needed a little bit of distraction and my favorite escapism was still to go back and peek at some of the discussions we had about things like Kobol's Last Gleaming, or my favorite comment of all time, Hugin's reaction to the Galactica dropping out of the sky. 

I have to find that one.  

ljmb

ljmb

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2014 @ 11:50 PM

Oh, yeah, stillshimpy, I believe it was "psychotic act of badassery" or something along those lines. A classic, for sure. And how many hours of enjoyment did we all get out of trashing The Woman King? Given that January was the 10th (!!) anniversary of the premiere of the mini-series, there was a bit of nostalgia here....and without these forums I'll never figure out what's going on on that show Continuum! LOL. I will say that the collective wisdom of the TWoP BSG community added a valuable dimension to my enjoyment of the show...ah, well. As the Hybrid would say...mumbo jumbo and JUMP! Away we go.