Back, Show Killer! The Rebecca James Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

34 replies to this topic

Benito

Benito

Posted Jan 12, 2005 @ 11:23 AM

I just realized she doesn't have a topic, and we were obviously wrong when we assumed she had no place left on the show. Was "Tritons" the limit of her return? I think not, because clearly she had some peripheral involvement with MOST of the players around the time of Lilly's death. And her connection to Keith could return as an issue if Lianne ever does.

So continue to fear poor Paula Marshall's presence on this show to your heart's content! And discuss it here!

Couch Baron

Couch Baron

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2005 @ 11:38 AM

Tweaked the title to include the character's real name, but she definitely could use her own thread. Post away!

theatremouse

theatremouse

Stalker

Posted Jan 12, 2005 @ 2:09 PM

She definitely has major devious potential, beyond Veronica's initial "Back, Who'sYourDaddy Dater!" squick reaction. Now I'm all curious. I have to go back and peruse the badness Veronica uncovered about her. I forget what it was, but she's a baddie with potential for real darkness. I definitely question her motives with this nag, I mean "counsel" the students a year later dealio. Especially when she was with Duncan I got these super subtle there's something very wrong here vibes from her.

Edited by theatremouse, Jan 12, 2005 @ 2:58 PM.

Warden

Warden

Stalker

Posted Jan 12, 2005 @ 5:42 PM

So continue to fear poor Paula Marshall's presence on this show to your heart's content!

If the show gets renewed, I can tolerate her presence. On looks though she's not too bad on the eyes.

Benito

Benito

Posted Jan 13, 2005 @ 1:26 AM

Tweaked the title to include the character's real name, but she definitely could use her own thread. Post away!

Her name is Rebecca James? Who knew?

Ah, I suppose folks called her "Ms. James" plenty of times, and Keith must have called her Rebecca at least once.

Warden: No she isn't. And at least in the past she's been a tolerably good actress. Her problem is just being sort of a female version of Ted McGinley, luck-wise.

Tanker

Tanker

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2005 @ 8:44 PM

Was I the only one who, when BSK appeared on the screen, put up his hand in the internationally recognized sign for "stop" and said, "Back, Show Killer!" out loud? And again when rewatching?

My second reaction was, "Hmm, I forgot how good-lookin' BSK! is." There's something about Paula Marshall's face that really grabs my attention.

Edited by Tanker, Jan 13, 2005 @ 8:45 PM.

amaline

amaline

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 13, 2005 @ 11:08 PM

When watching 'Clash of the Tritons', mr. amaline remarked that he'd have sought out a lot more guidance in high school if all the counselors had been that hot.

wykbbb

wykbbb

Posted Jan 14, 2005 @ 7:15 PM

Everytime Paula Marshall has a scene, my first thought is "God, I miss Cupid. Stupid ABC." Then I wonder if and when Jeremy Piven is going to make an appearance.

I have to go back and peruse the badness Veronica uncovered about her.

Veronica found out that Rebecca is still married and she was arrested for passing bad checks when she was 21.

amaline if mr. amaline thinks she's hot now, he should check out the completely topless except for the strategic placement of her hands scene she did in Cupid.

Warden

Warden

Stalker

Posted Jan 15, 2005 @ 12:02 AM

My second reaction was, "Hmm, I forgot how good-lookin' BSK! is." There's something about Paula Marshall's face that really grabs my attention.

For me it's around the eyes and the way her chin meets her cheeks. Possibly even the hairstyle compliments her face.

he should check out the completely topless except for the strategic placement of her hands scene she did in Cupid.

Would there be a screencap of this floating around somewhere?

mdr48371

mdr48371

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 15, 2005 @ 12:22 AM

Her name is Rebecca James? Who knew?

Ah, I suppose folks called her "Ms. James" plenty of times, and Keith must have called her Rebecca at least once.

I believe Logan called her "Becky" when he thanked her for getting him out of a calculus test. I like how she gets a little flustered when Logan jabs at her.

She reminds a little of Amber Tamblyn for some reason. Maybe that's just me.

I don't mind her presence so long as she isn't getting ready to put another notch in her SAG card.

wykbbb

wykbbb

Posted Jan 31, 2005 @ 6:33 AM

As per Rob Thomas's message, I was wondering if y'all had any better alternative nicknames for Paula/Rebecca. I was thinking maybe CBSK! (Come Back Show Killer!) to honor the fact we actually like her but fear her unfortunate track record.

aks

aks

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2005 @ 8:07 AM

Yeah, that nick name is wrong-sounding (much like this sentence, :)). When I first read it it was out of context and not explained at all so I thought I was the only one who liked Paula Marshall. Then I read the explanation for the nick name in a post (or was it a recap?) and realised I wasn't all alone liking Paula. So, I'm all for a change of nick so as not to confuse other newbies. :)

Couch Baron

Couch Baron

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2005 @ 10:20 AM

Call me superstitious, but I'm not changing it until I hear that VM's been picked up for a second season. Back!

aks

aks

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2005 @ 11:28 AM

Ah, so it's a "let's get VM a second season by calling Paula Marshall B,SK"-thing. I get it then. :)

Well, Couch Baron, you're the boss!

wykbbb

wykbbb

Posted Jan 31, 2005 @ 11:44 AM

cjl posted this on the Rob Thomas message thread:

3) The Piven's going to guest star, right? We've got to have the Piven on VM! Maybe as BSK!'s long-lost love?

Oh, oh, oh. According to Veronica's research, Rebecca is still technically married. What if her husband was a fast-talking, slightly balding guy named Trevor? Rob Thomas does have a sense of humor when it comes to casting.

Edited by wykbbb, Jan 31, 2005 @ 12:07 PM.

WynterWolf

WynterWolf

Stalker

Posted Jan 31, 2005 @ 1:24 PM

Call me superstitious, but I'm not changing it until I hear that VM's been picked up for a second season. Back!

Words can not express how much I agree with this. Me, superstitious? Well... yeah. And anyway, the BSK is said with much love. And the way I look at it is that we are trying to help her by warding off the evil menace of show killing away from her.

Okay, yes, I know how that sounds but I'm trying to gear myself up for watching an episode of Charmed in February because of a certain guest start they are reportedly having.

What if her husband was a fast-talking, slightly balding guy named Trevor?

Hee!!!

cjl

cjl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2005 @ 2:06 PM

What if her husband was a fast-talking, slightly balding guy named Trevor?

Get Piven's agent on the phone, pronto. We have a plotline.

DredMeat

DredMeat

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 4, 2005 @ 8:35 AM

Not to get all saccharine about it but I think Paula Marshall is way more than just hot or easy on the eyes or a tolerably good actress. The last time I saw her in anything before Veronica Mars was Cupid seven years ago and I didn't even get to see all the episodes of that show and yet I still think she's one of the most unforgettable actresses ever to grace any screen. My major beef with Veronica Mars so far is how little they've used Paula Marshall. It's a big relief to know it was only because of her pregnancy and that there's real hope for seeing a lot more of her later this season or at least next season.

Although the BSK nickname is hilarious, it is getting a little old and has to go sooner or later, superstition be damned! If it's ever changed how about ClairBecca? Only seems fitting since her characters on Cupid and Veronica Mars have so much in common including male first names as their surnames.

grim squeaker

grim squeaker

Stalker

Posted Mar 4, 2005 @ 1:01 PM

To honour a good, old superhero comics tradition, we could rename this thread: "Rebecca James: Showkiller no more!"

Warden

Warden

Stalker

Posted Mar 4, 2005 @ 11:23 PM

To honour a good, old superhero comics tradition, we could rename this thread: "Rebecca James: Showkiller no more!"

If the show gets picked up for a second season, I'd definitely be in favor of that.

nanaimo bar

nanaimo bar

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 3:58 AM

I have mixed feelings about Paula Marshal. I think that as an actress she would be a good foil in a relationship with Keith. But Keith and the actress who played Wallace's mother (that girl from Fame) had better chemestry. I hope Paula Marshal gets a series of her own (and she doesn't kill the show) so they don't have to make decision about this.

Spacecow

Spacecow

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 10:10 AM

I hope Paula Marshal gets a series of her own (and she doesn't kill the show)

I wouldn't keep my hopes high if I were you, nanaimo bar. Not with BSK!'s reputation...

grim squeaker

grim squeaker

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2005 @ 7:40 AM

I think Rebecca´s thread deserves a new name now. Whee!

Couch Baron

Couch Baron

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2005 @ 8:43 AM

And so it shall be done.

depudor

depudor

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2005 @ 1:20 PM

Now watch her become a regular next season, and then kill the show.

tjl

tjl

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2005 @ 1:58 PM

depudor, don't say things like that. I don't even want to contemplate the possibility that VM might be cancelled now that it has been renewed.

grim squeaker

grim squeaker

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2005 @ 2:36 PM

Thank you, CB.

Now watch her become a regular next season, and then kill the show.

depudor, I love your optimism.

RichardAK

RichardAK

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2005 @ 10:59 AM

I just want to add my voice to those hoping to see Rebecca James again next season, in part just because I think she's a great guidance counselor. She's the one who put Veronica in journalism class, after all. And in CotT, almost all of them, with the possible exception of Duncan, are very reticent, even hostile, and yet she gets all of them to open up.

Bspalek

Bspalek

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2005 @ 10:43 AM

I have serious qualms about her not red flagging Logan after his "Whats so good about living comment". And therefore her ability to act as a schools guidance counselor.

However, other than that, I did like her and would be okay with it if she comes back.

Arena

Arena

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2005 @ 11:09 AM

She may have red flagged him. Just because we didn't see any follow up doesn't mean there wasn't any. She may have been at the parent's conference that both Lynn and Aaron ditched. I like to think that she was.