Table for 1,000: The Meet Market

• Please log in to reply

12251 replies to this topic

orchidgal

orchidgal

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 10:33 AM

ubi, I'm so sorry to hear that. My condolences to you and your family.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 5:02 PM

Thanks! I guess it was inevitable because my uncle's been stressed out for several years about his daughter's mental issues. Dad was hoping to take his brother on an extended excursion with him to get away from the situation.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 7:08 PM

Sorry to hear about that, ubi. My condolences to you and your father. Wow, the past several years have been pretty rough for you. I'm so sorry.

Edited by grisgris, Jul 8, 2012 @ 7:08 PM.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 7:43 AM

Condolences to you, ubi. Sorry to hear such bad news.

ragstoriches

ragstoriches

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 11:00 AM

Sorry to hear that, ubi. Must have been quite a shock to your dad.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 7:51 PM

Maybe some humor will help. WHY I did this, I'll never know. My neighbor gave me several years of corn and some tomatoes. He bought them at the grocery store, it's not like they were from a farmstand. I thanked him, but I really wasn't hungry for them and I had already cooked up some food to eat while I was off on vacation July 4th week. I didn't want the produce to go to waste, so I thought, "Aha! Corn chowder to take for lunch." I did a quick perusal of the FN site and found a recipe. I thought it sounded quick and easy and didn't require me to buy any additional ingredients.

Lo and behold, it was one of SLOP's. Bacon, corn, chicken stock, melk and chicken breast, how bad could that be? My first red flag was that the main flavoring consisted of the corn cobs (OK...) and TWO tiny sprigs of fresh thyme. The corn had seen better days, so I grilled it on my stovetop grill pan. I also had some chicken breast, so I poached that in some of that new Knorr chicken stock flavor base. I added plenty of dried thyme and lots of salt and pepper. I also added one of the tomatoes. I added the quantity of liquid the recipe called for and I thought, "That looks kinda thin." I thought maybe it would thicken up overnight. I also thought that adding some PRE-shredded sharp cheddar cheese might help.

When I opened up the container at lunch today to heat up in my soup bowl, I was aghast. I don't know HOW this could possibly happen, but it was like the liquid separated -- the melk from the chicken stock. (You make a roux, so I don't see how that was possible.) Plus, the chicken, corn and tomatoes had clumped together. Adding the cheese did not help one bit and it was like the solid ingredients were clinging desperately to the cheese like a life raft. Also, it was completely devoid of any flavor. I was very generous with the DRIED thyme and s/p.

Needless to say, it was unpleasant and difficult to eat. Since I hate to waste food, when I got home, I dragged it out of the refrigerator and tried a trick I learned from Laura Calder's show. I mushed together some butter and flour and added it in to the boiling soup. That seemed to do the trick to thicken it up. I also added TONS more salt, pepper and thyme. At least it is now edible.

When will I ever learn? This is the third Sandy recipe I've tried and the third one I've been disappointed in. Wait, I did try a recipe she made once on a Halloween episode for caramelized pumpkin seeds that was pretty good. Of course, it started out with ONE JAR OF CARAMEL ICE CREAM TOPPING.

orchidgal

orchidgal

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

...it was like the solid ingredients were clinging desperately to the cheese like a life raft.

This will never not be funny.

Seriously, grisgris, your first clue that this recipe was not going to work out was that it was a Sandra Lee recipe. You knew enough to try to fix it from the start, but unless you attempt a complete overhaul, you're screwed. From now on, just step away from the SLop recipes unless you are going for the snark.

Edited to fix tags and to add that apparently all it takes to get rain here is for me to write on TWoP that the rains will not reach us.

Edited by orchidgal, Jul 9, 2012 @ 9:16 PM.

ragstoriches

ragstoriches

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 12:19 AM

Is this the russipee in question? Sandy Slop

But...but it got a bunch of 5-star reviews! And we know the FN NEVER writes in positive reviews to make SLop look good, so it must be sodalishus!

Personally, the picture of the chunky vomit in a cup accompanying it would be enough to deter me.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2012 @ 6:55 PM

Yep. That's the russipe. First, not to defend Sandy, but really, has anybody ever seen a photo of some type of chowder that looks appetizing? (My adding a huge chopped tomato made it look even worse!) Even some of Ina's FAABBUULLOUS chowdas photographed by her friend, Miguel, don't look appetizing in still photos.

Anyway, I read the reviews (after the fact) and most people had identical results -- way too thin, lacked flavor, recipe should require more bacon and you had to add more flour and butter to give it a decent consistency.

Since we had an All-Star party at lunch yesterday, I didn't try this again until today. Lo and behold, it STILL looked runny and separated. After I heated it up and stirred in some pre-shredded sharp cheddar, it finally shaped up and it was pretty good.

So, in all, in order to make a SLOPPY recipe successful, I had to:

1. Determine in advance that I'd need more bacon, dried thyme, a more flavorful chicken stock and to grill my corn first. (The corn was more because the ears I had, had seen better days.)

2. Add a tomato to add some color, freshness and texture.

3. Add cheese to thicken it and add more flavor.

4. Dump the entire contents back into the pot and literally recook it, by adding butter, flour and MORE seasoning.

What was supposed to be a recipe that took 40 minutes max, took me 2 1/2 days. For that amount of time and effort, I'd expect something more along the lines of something Alton Brown would produce on "Good Eats!"

LESSON LEARNED!!!!

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Jul 11, 2012 @ 9:02 PM

Thanks, guys! As it turns out, it had been several days before Dad found his brother, so it wasn't pretty. We're just glad my manic cousin didn't find him. We had the service and burial today and thankfully, she behaved, although there seems to be some argument as to how to divide my uncle's assets.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

Wow, ubi, that's pretty gruesome. How's your dad holding up? Is your cousin OK? Does she realize what happened? Man, my heart goes out to you. I hope that the rest of this year and next year and many years to come are peaceful, calm and uneventful for you and your family!

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Jul 12, 2012 @ 7:47 AM

Dad was pretty shook up at the time but seems better now. My cousin is cognizant about her father and seems to be doing OK, but we got a little nervous at the viewing when she became insistent that they open the casket and at the service when she started responding to her brother while he was delivering his eulogy. There's no telling when she'll flip out at the best of times, so it was all very dicey. I'm leaving this morning for home.

Edited by ubi, Jul 13, 2012 @ 5:40 PM.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2012 @ 11:40 AM

Have a safe journey home, ubi.

Sorry about that bad recipe, grisgris. Now that you've made it, you should go on FN's website and give it a 5-star review, then explain all the changes that you made to make it edible. As a public service, if nothing else.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Jul 13, 2012 @ 5:44 PM

Thanks! I got home yesterday evening.

Sorry about that bad recipe, grisgris. Now that you've made it, you should go on FN's website and give it a 5-star review, then explain all the changes that you made to make it edible.

Golly! I didn't think SLop's "recipes" were still on the FN website!

Edited by ubi, Jul 13, 2012 @ 5:46 PM.

orchidgal

orchidgal

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2012 @ 5:56 PM

I had to laugh today when I was at my local Barnes and Noble. Sitting there forlornly on the 70% off clearance table was a pile of one of Aunt Sandy's newest cookbooks, Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade The Complete Cookbook. I didn't even bother covering them up. I thought the ignominy of being on the deep discount table was enough of a shame.

ragstoriches

ragstoriches

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2012 @ 9:57 PM

My town holds an annual garage sale every March, and at this year's someone was selling a Sandra Lee cookbook. I was tempted to flip through it, but I was afraid people would think I was actually interested in SLop's russipees (actually I am, but not because I actually want to make her slop). Although I'm guessing a lot of people don't even know who Sandra Lee is.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2012 @ 5:14 PM

Sandy's cookbooks are regularly in the $3-$5 bargain section at Big Lots. I think the most fitting venue, though, was when I was at the Salvation Army a few weekends ago and saw some of her books on the book rack, where the going rate is .99. I seem to find the slow-cookers books showing up the most in discount/discard bins.

I have her cocktail book. I bought that for more of a gag gift for my mother for Christmas a few years ago. After she died, I took it. Have I used it? Of course not!

That dreck she's pretending to eat in that photo looks like macaroni and cheese.

InnerCanuck

InnerCanuck

Stalker

Posted Sep 20, 2012 @ 6:15 PM

My mother found a few SLop tomes on the deep discount table at our local B&N the other day, too. And I think she tried to bury them! I just keep in mind the Calvin Trillin poem which begins, "The book of my enemy has been remaindered..." Adn smile...!

No real job yet. Terribly frustrated and anxious. Doing a lot of house/pet/occasional people sitting, but it doesn't add much financially. Gets me out of the house, though. Confuses the hell out of the cat!

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2012 @ 6:32 PM

Hey IC!

Good to hear from you. Sorry to hear that there are no real prospects on the job front. What type of position are you looking for? I'd be happy to brain-storm. I forgot what region you live in.

The Chiefs are so miserable this year and I don't expect them to improve, so maybe hockey is the answer. Can you recommend any channels to watch and teams to follow? I hate baseball and our team sucks, so that's not an option.

In other spheres...

Life in KCMO has been blah. We had a terrible drought from May-late August, as many others have experienced. The ragweed is horrible, but at least it has been cooler.

I spent last week in Seattle. Our company had its annual conference and I was in charge of it. It went well, but I was exhausted. I am off this week, as I had a repeat surgery, this time on my right foot, as I did back in July. All went well, but I am bored to death.

I hope everybody is doing well and hey, isn't tomorrow the official first day of fall! Yeah!

InnerCanuck

InnerCanuck

Stalker

Posted Sep 20, 2012 @ 8:23 PM

Oh, grisgris, you've picked exactly the wrong year to take up hockey! The NHL has locked out the players (yet again, this is fourth work stoppage since the mid-'90s) and it looks to be a long time before it'll be settled. but of course I'd recommend you follow the San Jose Sharks! In your area, there are the cross-state Blues, of course, but I'd follow the Detroit Red Wings if I weren't already a Sharks fan. NBC Sports (formerly Versus) would be the primary NHL channel widely available (I have a package which includes the NHL Network, so obviously that's one to watch. if there were new games to watch...)

I'll gladly welcome you onto the 49ers bandwagon, especially with the No Fun League cracking down on Alex Smith for wearing a Giants cap to all his post-game interviews. If they (the Niners) weren't winning again, the league wouldn't give a crap. If I were in a position to advice Alex, I'd tell him to tell the league, "I'm a San Francisco Giants fan. They won the World Series in 2010. They're winners and I want my team to follow their example and win the Super Bowl, so I'll damn well wear their cap whether you like it or not! And as for the $15,000 fine you want to impose? I've already written a check for every game we play this season, payable to Project Open Hand, the Giants Community Fund, the 49ers Community Fund, the Junior Giants, the Petaluma Little League, and any other local charity I chose!"

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2012 @ 8:16 AM

I'm not a baseball fan, either, but here in my area (between Baltimore and Washington) there is much talk of a possible Beltway World Series. I live less than 20 miles from Camden Yards and about 25 miles from the Nationals' stadium, so if they both make it, everybody can come stay at my house! I will get local coverage for both teams!

I drive by the Ravens' stadium every Sunday on the way to church and my husband can see the Redskins' stadium from his office at work, but we are Vikings fans. Since they continue to be terrible, I don't recommend them to other people, unless they like being disappointed year after year.

Edited by vera charles, Sep 21, 2012 @ 8:16 AM.

InnerCanuck

InnerCanuck

Stalker

Posted Sep 23, 2012 @ 12:08 AM

Then you won't mind if my Niners win tomorrow over the Vikes, vera? (KQED (PBS) had our favorite movie on tonight - I watched up through the introduction of Beau, then turned back over to watch the Giants win the West!)

If the Orioles can overtake the Yankees (and I'm cheering for them to do just that) then I'm hoping for a Baltimore-San Francisco Series, if only for the all-orange and black uniform scheme. Just think of the "tablescapes" we could create in honor of the occasion!

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2012 @ 6:38 AM

Now, I didn't say I wouldn't mind, InnerCanuck! We start every season (and every Sunday!) hoping for success. I just can't say I'd be surprised. The Vikings always seem able to manage to come up with some new way to lose, so it's never a surprise.

That all orange and black color scheme would be interesting. Should we set up the Halloween 'scape a little early and let it do double duty?

Edited because there was a post here referencing Survivor, America's Next Top Model and General Hospital! What? I've never seen the first two and I haven't seen GH since Luke was still married to Laura. Crazy!

Edited by vera charles, Sep 26, 2012 @ 9:02 AM.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2012 @ 4:16 PM

An exchange between InnerCanuck and me from last night and this morning has disappeared in this technical difficulty. InnerCanuck's 49ers played the Vikings today and I said this morning that I wouldn't be too surprised if the 49ers won, since the Vikings specialize in finding new ways to lose. Looks like I was wrong! Seriously, though, the Vikings scored first and never were behind the whole game, and were up 24-13 long before the end of the game, and I was laughing at my husband, who was pacing and muttering and just waiting for them to find some way to blow it. They're 2-1!!! Skol, Vikings! My son came in from work right after the end of the game and pointed out that they could still end up 2-14. He's a Packer fan.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2012 @ 5:49 PM

Well, congrats to everybody whose team won today and understanding nods to those who suffered losses. I can't believe the Chiefs finally won. We're now 1-2. We pulled ourselves out of the gutter and held the Saints to 24 points; all scored in the first half. The game went into OT and there were some really nail-biting moments.

InnerCanuck,I remembered that Kansas City does have a hockey team. It's CHL, the Mavericks. Actually, they are quite good. I'll have to go see them play sometime.

Everybody have a great week! Happy Autumn! (at last...)

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 9:21 AM

Is fall finally finding everybody? The temperature has dipped a little here and I noticed this week that the leaves are just beginning to change color. Love fall, it's my favorite season. It features my favorite sport (football!), my favorite foods, my favorite holiday (Thanksgiving).

The farmer's market is still going strong. They will have tomatoes, corn, and beans for a little while longer but there's also squash and apples and pumpkins. The weather has been so weird this summer -- either over 100 degrees or cold and rainy, pretty much one extreme or the other, every day. The farmers are happy that the weather has calmed down a bit.

I am off work today for Yom Kippur. We also had last Tuesday off for Rosh Hashanah. Very large Jewish population in and around Baltimore, so the suburban counties close school for the Jewish holidays, so that's why I'm home today. We do not get some other holidays like Columbus Day and Veterans's Day, which my husband (federal gov't employee) gets off.

Hope all is well with everyone. Anybody cooking up anything good, now that the weather has changed? Any fruit pies or fall themed desserts? Upcoming plans for Thanksgiving or Christmas?

InnerCanuck

InnerCanuck

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 12:22 AM

Oh, autumn has hit big time - blistering heat in the Bay Area. Supposed to break tomorrow, though. Hottest days measured in October since 1980. ah, yes, I remember it well...

Was wondering about our football posts, vera, but then didn't come back for a little while. Your guys won, we beat up on the Jets this past Sunday, all is right with the world. ;)

orchidgal

orchidgal

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2012 @ 7:03 PM

Sorry for not posting sooner, vera charles, but I've been crazy busy.

It's tailgating season here. The Indiana Hoosiers may suck, but the tailgates rock! I never go into the games anyway as I get a migraine immediately from the noise and the visual stimulation. So I man the tent and listen to the Hoosier (usually) lose on the radio and fend off the odd drunk students who come by to visit. We always have good food and good drinks. One of our crew is a bartender so we even get some crazy concoctions from time to time - but no Sandra Lee crap! Another contributor is a part-time caterer.

The other great thing is that our tailgate is situated across from the student tailgate fields, so that is built-in entertainment. Nothing like watching students stumble around drunk. So you know we have good food and a great time.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 4:12 PM

I seem to find the slow-cookers books showing up the most in discount/discard bins.

No doubt because the former owner died from a fatal slow-cooker explosion.

Not much going on here to report, but we're hemorrhaging people to the Department of Education down the street (about six since July). I attended DragonCon again and saw some great costumes, including two "Loveboat Guest Stars", a Plinko game , and the Gypsy booth from Big made of cardboard, complete with a dollar bill sucker and card dispenser. Dad's staying up north in the camper longer than normal for the baptism of his nephew's son. Dad normally comes home before it starts to snow but he wants to be there for him since his father is no longer there. Unfortunately, the argument over the division of my uncle's assets is not going smoothly.

tortietat

tortietat

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 20, 2012 @ 11:41 PM

Believe y'all will appreciate this.

As a church organist, I spend my Saturday afternoons at the church working on music. Today, by the time I played through a stack of choir anthems and prepared 30 minutes of background music for an upcoming funeral, I had developed a headache and had yet to rehearse tomorrow's prelude. After playing a particularly difficult section multiple times with no improvement, I considered a last minute switch to another piece of music, then remembered the bulletins were already printed with the original title.

Just as I was ready to bang my head against the keyboard, a thought popped into my brain, and I said aloud, "I can semiho this!" Finding a simple hymn tune version of the piece, I prefaced it with the fanfare at the start of the more difficult arrangement, played through the hymn with a bit of extra flourish, then ended with the final two lines of the original piece. WAH LAH, instant prelude! I think Aunt Sandy would be proud.