Kenan and Kel: Who Loves Orange Soda?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

30 replies to this topic

Arielleira

Arielleira

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 5, 2005 @ 12:03 AM

I couldn't believe there wasn't a thread for this. I used to love this show. Kenan and Kel were the perfect comic duo. Like...Laurel and Hardy, or the Three Stooges if there were only two of them.

I loved Kenan's boss, and that episode where he was scared of the number three. My absolute favorite episode, though, would have to be the episode where Kenan files a lawsuit against the tuna company because he found a screw in the can of tuna. And Kel just breaks down. "I ... dropped the screeeew ... in the tuna!! I ... dropped the screeeew ... in the tuna!!!"

And of course...

"Who looooves orange soda? Kel looooves orange soda! Is it true? Is it true? I do, I do, I do, I do-hoo!"

Edited by Arielleira, Jan 5, 2005 @ 12:05 AM.

roosterboy

roosterboy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2005 @ 1:11 AM

Funny, funny show. Though I can only remember a few bits and pieces, like the one where Kenan and Kel get stuck on the side of a building with a huge banner for some girl Kenan likes. Or the tuna lawsuit one. Or the one where Kenan has to hire some actor to play his parents and they turn out to be completely nuts.

Does Nick still show this? If they do, I might have to check it out again.

likeasong

likeasong

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 5, 2005 @ 2:48 AM

I loved Kenan's boss, and that episode where he was scared of the number three. My absolute favorite episode, though, would have to be the episode where Kenan files a lawsuit against the tuna company because he found a screw in the can of tuna. And Kel just breaks down. "I ... dropped the screeeew ... in the tuna!! I ... dropped the screeeew ... in the tuna!!!"

All it took was this description to send me back to 1997. Dear God, I lived for Kenan and Kel. And re: the tuna episode--sometimes I break out into the song they were singing when Kenan brought out the tuna. "La-la-la-tunaaaaaa!" (with Kel making random background noise)

I always liked the ending monologues, when Kenan would list some innane objects, tell Kel to meet him someplace, and call him by a random nickname--always in that same order. Then Kel would ask questions, get all flustered and finally end with, "Aww, here it goes!"

RabidChipmnk

RabidChipmnk

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2005 @ 5:48 AM

Oh man, another of the last great Nick shows.

And Kel just breaks down. "I ... dropped the screeeew ... in the tuna!! I ... dropped the screeeew ... in the tuna!!!"

I totally remember that. It cracked me up. And I remember a blooper show they did where Kel is climbing on the witness stand saying that line and he just falls off. I giggled so much the first time I saw Kenan on SNL. *sniff* Our little All That-er all grown up... And now Fat Albert.

Anyway. Didn't Kel also say "I enjoy ham"? This is another show I wouldn't mind seeing reruns of. I seem to recall them still being played on Nick even after the show had stopped production... this was a few years ago, though.

like the one where Kenan and Kel get stuck on the side of a building with a huge banner for some girl Kenan likes. Or the tuna lawsuit one. Or the one where Kenan has to hire some actor to play his parents and they turn out to be completely nuts.

I totally remember all those. And there was one where Kenan got Kel to enter the grocery bagging competition cause he was really fast, then Kel switched to the other side and pretended to have a panic attack so their store won. What was it called... Rigby's? I can't believe I remember that. And Kenan's sister had a crush on Kel. And there was a Thanksgiving episode where they managed to screw everything up... did that involve a live turkey? And some famous rapper sung the intro... I can't remember who now. Coolio, apparently. And there was one ep where Kenan was gonna move away, and Kel followed them or something. Oooh, and the one where they thought Kenan's dad was a jewel thief and Kel was watching Cops and was like "Bad dad bad dad, whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when they come for your daddy." Wow, this has just become one big long train of thought post. One last random scene I remember, I think it was an impression of cops and one of them pretended to drive along humming hick music and the other came up and knocked on the imaginary window and the first one rolled it down... and I forget what happens next. Man. Good times.

Ha, and when they turned Rigby's into a nightclub.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Jan 5, 2005 @ 12:38 PM

The show always seemed to be something of a takeoff on The Abbott and Costello Show, with the way they came out in front of a curtain at the beginning and end.

I forget which episode it was, but my favorite scene has Keenan oversleeping. Kel wakes him up and they both run out the door to go to school. They come back in a few seconds later, and Keenan says, "You were just gonna let me go to school in my pajamas, weren't you?"

Arielleira

Arielleira

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 5, 2005 @ 4:58 PM

Though I can only remember a few bits and pieces, like the one where Kenan and Kel get stuck on the side of a building with a huge banner for some girl Kenan likes.

Oh yeah! I remember that one, now that you mention it. I remember it very well. It had said 'Kenan loves Briana' or something, but then it got ripped and ended up saying 'Kenan loves Brian'. Hehehe, good times.

Hahaha. Bad dad! I loved that one.

I noticed there were a TON of robbers on this show. People were always trying to rob Rigby's, and I think once Kenan's house.

And Kel did enjoy ham! I so wish they still played this show.

lavenderbrown

lavenderbrown

Channel Surfer

Posted May 22, 2005 @ 1:52 AM

My favorite episode is where the store manager goes out of town and Kenan and Kel turn it into a club called "Da Bomb"!!! Oh man...hilarious!

Marysmary

Marysmary

Video Archivist

Posted May 23, 2005 @ 5:32 AM

I like the special, "Two heads are better than None"?

This show was hilarious.

Canela

Canela

Channel Surfer

Posted May 23, 2005 @ 2:35 PM

Aww, here it goes!

My favorite episode is where the store manager goes out of town and Kenan and Kel turn it into a club called "Da Bomb"!!! Oh man...hilarious!

I remember Kel saying something like, "I don't wanna be there when da bomb goes off!" and thinking it was comedic genius, in all my sixth-grade wisdom.

Actually, I think I'd still find it hilarious. Anyone else remember an episode where they're left to take care of Kenan's dad's pet bird for the weekend, and it dies? And all throughout the episode, Kel keeps reminding Kenan that "Twizzles dead!"

Thank God summer classes start tonight, I have way too much time on my hands if I can remember things like this.

Cet

Cet

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2005 @ 10:21 AM

Twizzles! That's still the episode I remember best. It was such a takeoff on the Monty Python "Dead Parrot" sketch, but I still love it.

"I didn't know birds slept on their backs!"
"...I don't think birds do sleep on their backs."

"Kel, quit playin' with that snake!"
*choking* "I'm not playing with the snake, the snake is playing with me!"

Roobear

Roobear

Posted May 24, 2005 @ 1:52 PM

I really don't like Kel. Kel really gets on my nerves with his stupidity. That was a big turn off for me.

I like Kenan's little sister Kyra. She's cute & very funny. Seeing Kyra having a crush on Kel was absolutely hilarious.

UniqBlue69

UniqBlue69

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 13, 2007 @ 4:02 PM

Kenan & Kel is back on TV! Reruns will air Monday - Saturday at 6PM ET on The N starting tonight!

SouthernBaby

SouthernBaby

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 13, 2007 @ 4:28 PM

Kenan & Kel is back on TV! Reruns will air Monday - Saturday at 6PM ET on The N starting tonight!

YES! Thank you, The N!

I was so young when this show was on, but I do remember a few things. I remember them coming onto the stage at the beginning and end of the show, and the insane things Kenan would tell Kel to get. I also remember Kenan's sister having a crush on Kel.

Here's a random memory: in one episode, I believe Kenan's sister made some weird, gross version of macaroni and cheese (it included "mustard for yellow"), and Kel actually liked it. I remember because I was so young, it vaguely made sense to me.

roosterboy

roosterboy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2007 @ 8:32 PM

Oh crud. I'm out of town and my mother doesn't get The N! I'll miss an entire week of Kenan & Kel! Nooooooo!

snoopyiscool

snoopyiscool

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 16, 2007 @ 9:28 PM

I don't get The N. GERAIPNBSAERBNCfdbkfdnod.

This was probably my favorite show when I was little. The whole court case with Kel and the tuna.... I believe that shaped my entire childhood.

The macaroni! It totally made sense.

Edited by snoopyiscool, Oct 16, 2007 @ 9:29 PM.

cathychameleon

cathychameleon

Couch Potato

• Interests:TV!

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 6:37 AM

I ... dropped the screeeew ... in the tuna!!

Wow, that brings back memories! I remember laughing so hard at that. Anyone know what Kel is up to these days?

Dariendude15

Dariendude15

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 23, 2007 @ 9:02 PM

I'm actaully afraid to see this show again after so many years. I fear that, like All That's golden and silver days, my memories of this show from my stupid kid days may be better than the actual show. Like, I'd watch it now and think, "Man this show is dumb and predictably formulaic. WHY did I like this, again?"

snoopyiscool

snoopyiscool

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 23, 2007 @ 10:02 PM

My parents were looking around a car dealership the other day, so I just sat around in the waiting room and started flipping some channels, and you know what I happened upon?

I ... dropped the screeeew ... in the tuna!!

Awesome.

Illuminattile

Illuminattile

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 15, 2007 @ 9:11 PM

Ah, they don't make shows like this any more. Well, actually, they do. They make them exactly like this. *cough*DrakeandJosh*cough*

Dariendude15

I'm actaully afraid to see this show again after so many years. I fear that, like All That's golden and silver days, my memories of this show from my stupid kid days may be better than the actual show. Like, I'd watch it now and think, "Man this show is dumb and predictably formulaic. WHY did I like this, again?"

I think it holds up pretty well. Obviously it is very formulaic, but most of the humour still works. The two leads have great comic instincts and it shines through even when the material is less than stellar.

Bemily

Bemily

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 23, 2007 @ 5:43 PM

This show is now on the N. My 5 year old was watching Noggin when it turned over to the N while I was cooking dinner. I heard laughing so hard that he couldn't breathe, so I checked what he was watching, and it was THIS dumb show! Oh well, I was too old to watch this when it came out (although I know Kenan is on SNL and Kel is the voice for Tbone on Clifford). It is now my 5 year old's FAVORITE show, its on tivo rotation.

Dariendude15

Dariendude15

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 26, 2007 @ 4:01 PM

Anyone know what Kel is up to these days?

Uh. It's funny you should ask. I was watching Attack of the show on G4 on Halloween, and then this happened. Apparently, he's supposed to be playing some mixture of Ronald McDonald and MC Hammer. Keep in mind this was just a complete throwaway gag, and this character will never be seen again. I felt like I had been hit in the face with a shovel when I saw this. For Kel Mitchel to suddenly appear on TV after nigh half a decade of complete absence, only to play this dumb character... It just boggles my mind. Kel deserves more than that.

MITerp

MITerp

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 22, 2007 @ 10:55 PM

For Kel Mitchel to suddenly appear on TV after nigh half a decade of complete absence, only to play this dumb character... It just boggles my mind. Kel deserves more than that.

Co-sign. It's interesting to me how, with SNL and various big-budget flicks, Kenan has somewhat blown up (figuratively, if not...well, OK, a bit literally, too). Meanwhile, Kel pops up for a couple minutes in random fringe sitcoms and did a fast-food commercial a while back.

Of the two, I really thought Kel would've been the one to take off; the whole comic schtick comes (came?) so easily to him. He also seemed to be the more popular of the two; if you notice, later in the series when the guys started introducing themselves individually, the crowd went nuts after Kel's intro.

While I'm here, can I just give a quick shout-out to Roger Rockmore? That's a tough cookie right there - he had to be to endure those countless bruises, broken bones, burns, and concussions, all courtesy of Kel.

Sharla was a nice addition, too. I haven't seen Alexis Fields in a while, but I always thought she was a little cutie on this show.

A big TY to the N for bringing this back. And oh, yeah, just for the heckuvit: Good Burger!

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Dec 23, 2007 @ 1:06 AM

Co-sign. It's interesting to me how, with SNL and various big-budget flicks, Kenan has somewhat blown up (figuratively, if not...well, OK, a bit literally, too). Meanwhile, Kel pops up for a couple minutes in random fringe sitcoms and did a fast-food commercial a while back.

Of the two, I really thought Kel would've been the one to take off; the whole comic schtick comes (came?) so easily to him. He also seemed to be the more popular of the two; if you notice, later in the series when the guys started introducing themselves individually, the crowd went nuts after Kel's intro.

I'm not surprised. Kel's the comedy/funny guy but they've always given Kenan the meaty stuff - In Kenan and Kel, he's the one with a family that's always seen, has all the girlfriends, etc. The same is true with the Good Burger movie. Plus, Kenan has acted before and after All That/Kenan and Kel ended. Kel's the funny guy, but Kenan is also funny and has some acting chops.

I was watching reruns of this the other day and couldn't believe how hard I laughed. One of the few Nickelodeon shows that can hold up today.

Edited by MegaJ, Dec 23, 2007 @ 1:09 AM.

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted Dec 23, 2007 @ 3:40 AM

I wonder with The N expanding into its own channel, if they're going to be using fare similar to KnK to pad the schedule? They can't continue to show repeats of South of Nowhere, Degrassi: The 45th Generation, and other craptacular teen dramas 80 times a day, can they? Having KnK on the schedule during the week is a nice start to perhaps opening up the channel to a few more of Nick's older sitcoms.

Watching Kenan on SNL does make me question how Kel was the one to fall by the wayside. I've found Kenan to be largely unfunny in just about everything I've seen him in (which admittedly is only SNL and My Boss' Daughter) and can't really say he has "acting chops" (at least no more than Kel does). I've seen Kel in less things than I've seen Kenan in, so I don't know what type of talent he's sporting. Both were fine on KnK, but outside of that, they're largely "meh" to me.

It was good to see Kel on AoTS, though. I mean, at least Kel's doing something, even if it's just playing a one-off character on some deep cable talkshow. Wasn't there a rumor going around a while ago that Kel had died? I seem to remember there being some talk about that a few years ago. Maybe I'm thinking of another actor, though.

Brina24

Brina24

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 20, 2008 @ 5:38 PM

"I put the screw in the tuna!", I actually text messaged my sister this and she called me laughing hysterically! Definatley my favorite episode! That and 'Whatcha gonna do when they come for your dadaaaaaaay!' Classic!

screamapiller

screamapiller

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2008 @ 5:19 PM

For Kel Mitchel to suddenly appear on TV after nigh half a decade of complete absence, only to play this dumb character...

It was good to see Kel on AoTS

Kel's been doing a lot of voice work, including one of the main characters on "Clifford the Big Red Dog" for PBS, so he may not have been in front of the camera.

I hate to admit it, but I tune in every time the show's on just for the opening credits. I love me some Coolio!

Dariendude15

Dariendude15

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2008 @ 5:30 PM

"I put the screw in the tuna!", I actually text messaged my sister this and she called me laughing hysterically!

So... Ya like the tuna line, do ya? Well, you'll love this.

Brina24

Brina24

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 12, 2008 @ 4:07 PM

HAHAHAHAHA! I love it! Kenana and Kel remains in my heart forever! And tru dat I love me some coolio too!

screamapiller

screamapiller

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2008 @ 4:23 PM

I love me some coolio too!

I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but I actually bought Coolio's Fantastic Voyage CD just because it had the Kenan & Kel theme on it...

Brina24

Brina24

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 25, 2008 @ 4:25 PM

Be not ashamed, for the Kenan and Kel theme was ace!!