48 Hours Mystery

• Please log in to reply

2398 replies to this topic

UsernameFatigue

UsernameFatigue

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 2:53 PM

There are alot of disturbing things about this case, one of the biggest to me being that fact that at the time of the coroner's inquest someone could be charged with murder by the participants of the inquest - no need to involve law enforcement. Yikes! Thank goodness that has since been changed.

I don't know if the son killed his step mother or she killed herself. But I just can't see a motive for the son to kill her when she was leaving the next day. Also how was he to know she would be in the closet? Or do they think he killed her in his father's bed and moved her? I can't imagine it would have cost the father much in a divorce - weren't they married for less than a year? No motive for either of them as far as I can see.

The woman was obviously disturbed - the mother even said she slept in a closet when she was upset. She had a history of depression and reckless behavior and had called the mother in law three times the day she died to say she couldn't stand losing her husband. Not to mention the pity sex.

I don't blame the family for suing Ann Rule. She is a high profile person and many would take her word that the son killed his step mother even though there is no evidence that he did.

Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. But you are supposed to be innocent til proven guilty and there is no more evidence to say he killed her than there is that she killed herself.

LakeGal

LakeGal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 6:58 PM

I found it hard to believe the husband did not know if his wife was right or left handed. I think the husband killed her.

Anacharsis

Anacharsis

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 11:06 AM

I found it hard to believe the husband did not know if his wife was right or left handed.

At first I did, too, but then the more he talked the more his self-absorption became apparent.

Luckylyn

Luckylyn

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:10 AM

Last night's episode was such a crazy case. I don't think it counts as assistant suicide if the victim was trying to commit fraud by making a suicide look like murder so his family can collect the insurance. Assistant suicide for profit is not something that should be protected under the law. It's not like the victim was dying of a painful terminal illness and wanted to die faster. I think the guilty verdict was appropriate under those circumstances, but I can see how it would be a tough call since the victim did want to die.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:22 AM

What I'm missing in this suicide-by-proxy / murder mystery is the insurance fraud. Surely the insurers would have investigated thoroughly, and used the son's message to bolster the suicide theory. Which is probably why the wife is having to sue for the $4 million. Interesting that the other $8 million is an unknown - did they pay out or not? Crazy case, indeed.

Diana Berry

Diana Berry

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 5:53 PM

Even if the insurance company did pay out some money, couldn't they go back and look into the possible fraud aspect of this now?

Bunky

Bunky

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 7:22 PM

The wife should be sued for insurance fraud! She was clearly in on the whole thing. I find that beyond disturbing. The wife and kids are fine with their dad dying just so that they can continue to live the lifestyle they are "accustomed" to? That is sad and seriously disturbing. Very telling that the family wasn't at the trial.

itsmejessica

itsmejessica

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:47 PM

I so agree Bunky, How does a family say okay dad kill your self so we will grow up with money. The fact that they were not in the court room is so telling.The case is beyond nuts,but so sad. For everyone.I'm not saying the man convicted should not face time he himself said the same. The idea that this person and his family conned more people out of money while this other person sits in prison does not sit right with me.

Luckylyn

Luckylyn

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

I feel like the family should be in jail too for fraud.

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 6:52 PM

I wonder what the family is going through now that the story has aired.

Luckylyn

Luckylyn

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 4:00 PM

I was confused by last night's case. The police took the death threats seriously enough to set up video surveillance of the mailbox but did not trace where the emails are coming from until after the family was murdered. If they had traced the emails in the beginning, the murders probably never would have happened. It's the police the family should be suing and not the ministry. I don't see how the ministry could have done a proper investigation when the person responsible for the threats was part of the security team. I assume the family is suing the ministry simply because they'll get more money than if they sued the police, but I guess they do hold some responsibility for never investigating their own people to make sure none of them could be the culprit.

LakeGal

LakeGal

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 4:31 PM

His opinion of what an affair was made me laugh. He said some stupid thing about they had to be living together for it to be an affair. He was a stupid killer. He was so obvious about everything. I was a little confused about the friends. At first they were saying that they were a perfect couple. Then later they were saying they all knew their marriage was in trouble, etc. Then why did they think they were the perfect couple?

gaPeach

gaPeach

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 5:50 PM

I was confused by last night's case. The police took the death threats seriously enough to set up video surveillance of the mailbox but did not trace where the emails are coming from until after the family was murdered.

It wasn't offically the police it was his neighbor who is a cop that set up the camera. I got the impression he did it to help out and see if they could catch the letter writer in the act.

Which brings to mind why weren't the emails traced earlier? Wasn't he getting them for months before the murders? You would think the lady (can't remember her name) he worked for would be concerned for her own safety and her people would have investigated it. Very strange and of course not enough information given in the broadcast to know why.

That being said, what a monster he must be. How he could strangle his wife and two young boys like that. He even spray painted his yougest son's bed getting some of the paint on his DEAD CHILD. That is pure evil.

And what an idiot. How did he think he would get away with it. If he was security won't he have better knowledge of how they can track people and trace email addresses?

What a sad sad story and I feel for the wife's family.

Edited by gaPeach, May 6, 2012 @ 5:52 PM.

jsm1125

jsm1125

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:25 AM

I never understood what killers think they could possibly gain by killing their children. As horrific as a wife's murder is, you can at least see some smidgen of a motive most of the time when it is carried out by the husband. But what could the children have prevented him from doing?

GrantsHistory

GrantsHistory

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 12:19 PM

But what could the children have prevented him from doing?

They would have prevented him from living like a carefree, swinging bachelor with no responsibilities other than to satisfy his own selfish desires. You're thinking like a decent human being with a soul (in the spiritual and/or philosophical sense - whichever definition fits best with your worldview), so of course you would ask that question. He isn't a decent human being. They got in his way, so they had to go. Plus, he scores all kinds of sympathy from people who think some outsider murdered his entire family. It's selfish, narcissistic, sociopathic, take your pick.

Bentley

Bentley

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:54 PM

The most head-shaking parts of these shows are always the interviews with the perp's parents, as logic and reason fly out the window and they twist themselves into pretzels explaining away any evidence that conflicts with their worldview that their son is innocent. Case in point: "Yes, he bought red spray paint, but there wasn't a trace of it on him and that was a lot of paint." Dude, your son was gone for hours before the bodies were found. What do you think he was doing all that time? If he could have washed away the scratches on his arms, he would have done that too.

After further thought, I'm going to contradict my earlier statement. The most head-shaking parts of these shows are the wives who know their husbands want to kill them and yet they're determined to stay in the marriage, because by golly they're going to make this marriage work, presumably right after they work through the whole "he wants to kill me" phase. But they'll leave a note or a message with a friend to let the police know whodunnit after they die, just in case, you know, he doesn't ever get past that awkward phase. Are you kidding me?? I do not get it.

jsm1125

jsm1125

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

About last night's case ("Ransom"):

What a bizarre and sad story. I feel for Robert's family. While I'm not sure that I would have been willing to convict Toby based on the evidence provided last night, he set off my alarm bells pretty early on. He just couldn't seem to contain that perma-smirk, and the cell phone records and lack of a substantiated alibi certainly didn't help him.

LakeGal

LakeGal

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 4:44 PM

I hope the jury was given more info that we were on the show. I would not have been able to convict Toby with the evidence they gave us. I didn't like the guy. But that doesn't make him guilty. I was not convinced he was on the phone in that toll photo. Plus why would he make a ransom call while at a tool booth?

It was odd that the amount was the exact amount that the father had given the mother. And what was up with the conversation Robert had with his hairdresser?

MsLawDawg

MsLawDawg

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:15 AM

This sounds horribly cruel, but I was just glad to have an episode where there was an actual mystery. I did feel very, very sorry for Robert's family. You could tell that their eyes were just empty. His dad did not look well to me at all. I have close family members whose mother just vanished, and never being able to have closure has nearly killed them.

I hope the jury was given more info that we were on the show. I would not have been able to convict Toby with the evidence they gave us. I didn't like the guy. But that doesn't make him guilty. I was not convinced he was on the phone in that toll photo. Plus why would he make a ransom call while at a tool booth?

I agree. It was a very weak case to me, based upon what info we were given; but I hope that the producers wanted to keep more of the "mystery" there and that we weren't shown more damaging info. I couldn't tell what the hell he was doing in the toll booth. I didn't like the guy either, and he certainly seemed almost sociopathic with his blase attitude, but that doesn't necessarily make him a murderer.

jsm1125

jsm1125

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 8:51 PM

A few days ago, Stephanie Lazarus, the crazy-eyed former LAPD cop who was accused and eventually convicted of killing nurse Sherri Rasmussen back in 1986, got sentenced to 27 years to life. Here is the link for those interested:

http://www.cbsnews.c...in-murder-case/

jsm1125

jsm1125

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 10:14 PM

And it turns out that 48 Hours Mystery is updating the Lazarus case on next week's episode. I could be a soothsayer :)

In other previous episode news, Nanette Johnston, the Orange County woman accused of orchestrating the murder of fiancee Bill McLaughlin, was convicted about a month ago for the crime and was just sentenced to life without parole a few days ago. Here is the link for those interested:

http://www.ocregiste...hy-naposki.html

Also, I thought this week's episode, the Live to Tell one with Isabella and the home invasion, was very well done. Her victim statement was one of the more compassionate ones I've ever seen, which really surprised me. My heart goes out to her, her boyfriend, and everyone in her boyfriend's family.

TedHinD

TedHinD

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 2:38 PM

It bothered me, though, how a sense of coutroom decorum supercedes a victim's loved one from saying things like,"I hope you rot in hell." If not spoken there, then where? It isn't like the perps will be reading about themselves on the internet.

I hope Isabella heals. She probably saved everyone else even though the young mom lost her life. Had she not fought back the entire family--including the little boys--would have probably been herded into the basement & murdered, just like in the Harvey family of Richmond case.

Officer Lovinda WAS a hero. I hope she has as happy a life as possible. (As the two asailants rot first in prison, then in hell).

shriekingeel

shriekingeel

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 2:18 PM

The Live To Tell episodes are so intense. My comfort zone with this show is Maureen Maher or Susan Spencer raising an eyebrow as the surviving spouse tearfully insists that she had no idea about the insurance money. I appreciate both types of episodes but the former always leave me drained.

Hotchismine

Hotchismine

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 10:32 PM

I love this show. I've been recently catching up on a lot of old cases thanks to the ID channel, but Maureen Maher has got to be the absolute worst host I've ever seen on tv. Lester Holt is pro. I can tolerate Keith Morrison despite seeing/hearing Bill Hader doing the creepy voice, but Maureen is weak. The empty warehouse isn't scary, it's cheap. Her tight leather jacket does nothing to disguise her discomfort. I want to smack her every time I see her grasping her hands, picking her nails. I've never seen someone so unsuited to be on camera.

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 12:41 PM

The CGI warehouse background really cracks me up, it is just so stupid. She'll be dressed up in leather hanging out in front of shadey looking elevator. Keith Morrison is really a maniac. I love how his personally switches to resemble whoever he is talking to in order for them to feel comfortable. I'm almost positive he's killed before.

Maureen is pretty bland, but she was almost good when interviewing the obvious killer during the newest "Facebook Detectives" episode. I liked when the killer first claimed that 15 SUVs were chasing her, and then than that a police SWAT team with machine guns stormed her house. That lady was nuts.

Fraoch

Fraoch

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 10:29 AM

I think Maureen showed more personality when interviewing the "person of interest" in the Facebook Detectives case than I've seen from her in all the years I've been watching this show. She was this.close to going off on a "really??!?" tangent a la Amy Poehler and Seth Meyers on SNL.

Bentley

Bentley

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 11:52 AM

I'm almost positive he's killed before.

BWAH! Too funny.

I love Keith. If he turns out to be a killer, I hope he gets to narrate the 48 Hours episode that features his crime. Keith asking the questions. Keith answering the questions. Gold!

Writing Wrongs

Writing Wrongs

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 4:55 PM

I can tolerate Keith Morrison despite seeing/hearing Bill Hader doing the creepy voice

Thank you! I think of Bill Hader now, too. Keith kinda creeps me out.

Patsy Stoned

Patsy Stoned

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

Keith kinda creeps me out.

dude looks like a cadaver to me.

Edited by Patsy Stoned, Jun 9, 2012 @ 8:05 PM.

LakeGal

LakeGal

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 7:43 AM

I always see Keith Morrison on Dateline. Didn't realize he did 48 Hr too.