Yes, Virginia. There Is Another Rae Dawn Chong Challenge

• Please log in to reply

99 replies to this topic

marketdoctor

marketdoctor

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2011 @ 7:52 PM

I have an idea, so I'll venture a guess: Is it five words?

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Moderator

Posted Jan 11, 2011 @ 8:25 PM

Can you give us more -- like perhaps what those words are?

marketdoctor

marketdoctor

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2011 @ 9:40 AM

Yes, yes I could.

Oh, right. Is it, from yesterday's TWOP news, for example:

Snoop Dogg will be making his highly anticipated guest appearance on 90210 soon (see what I did there?).

(the "see what I did there" part. This might be a writing choice, but it might be the RDC.)

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Moderator

Posted Jan 12, 2011 @ 2:42 PM

That was a writing choice. Nice try, though.

Remlab

Remlab

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 2:23 PM

Is it Harry Potter and Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry?

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Moderator

Posted Jan 18, 2011 @ 7:22 AM

No, I'm sorry. It's not.

Millie

Millie

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2011 @ 7:19 PM

It is either "Silence of the Lambs" as evidenced by the "put the lotion on her skin or she gets the hose again" sightings or all of the recappers had a movie night.

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Moderator

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 8:45 AM

That's not it, either (and not close, nor was Hogwarts close). This one started right before a lot of things went on hiatus, so I know it's harder, but keep guessing!

Edited by TWoP Barnes, Jan 20, 2011 @ 8:48 AM.

HelloooKitty

HelloooKitty

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 2:44 PM

Does it have something to do with people looking like James Franco?

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Moderator

Posted Jan 21, 2011 @ 11:23 AM

No, I'm sorry.

tterb

tterb

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 16, 2011 @ 12:54 PM

Is it the phrase "NO THANK YOU." or something along those lines? Or putting some phrases in all caps as a general idea. Kim kept putting phrases in all caps in her latest Top Chef recap.

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Moderator

Posted Feb 17, 2011 @ 7:31 PM

No, I'm sorry. I think this was a tough one, because the writers started it right before a lot of shows went into winter hiatus.

I saw what I thought was an obvious mention in one of the wee/recaps this week, though. Keep trying!

Philip J Fry

Philip J Fry

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 20, 2011 @ 10:35 AM

It's probably nothing -- and a phrase that's certainly not unheard of in the TWoP lexicon -- but I fancy I've noticed an increase in the frequency of "not a euphemism" in recent weeks.

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Moderator

Posted Feb 21, 2011 @ 10:18 PM

No, sorry. That's not it.

HelloooKitty

HelloooKitty

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2011 @ 11:44 PM

Is it inserting random numbers and/or letters into words in the recaps and weecaps?

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Moderator

Posted Feb 23, 2011 @ 11:04 AM

No, sorry.

TheGrimRecapper

TheGrimRecapper

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2011 @ 11:39 PM

Is it things that are purple?

(As an aside: Since there are so few people playing -- and probably even fewer aware the game is on again -- can we remove the "one guess per person" rule? Otherwise we're probably never going to get it.)

Edited to remove a swipe at the recap editors for the fact that the previous guess was even considered.

Edited by TheGrimRecapper, Feb 27, 2011 @ 11:41 PM.

Acre

Acre

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 28, 2011 @ 1:50 AM

Wow - I don't play this game (I don't really even get this game) but is it supposed to be this hard? Even though I don't get it, I'm interested, and this one seems to have been going on forever!

Like, if I'm reading it right it started Dec 10th and that's 11 weeks ago. Apologies for commentary from the peanut gallery, it's just something that's fun to read along with, but it would be nice to see an answer/a winner now and then.

Anyway, carry on (like you were waiting for permission from me!), I'm still interested as an observer.

TheGrimRecapper

TheGrimRecapper

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2011 @ 3:47 AM

Wow - I don't play this game (I don't really even get this game) but is it supposed to be this hard?

It's supposed to be fairly hard, but not impossible -- previous challenges used to only used to last a week, and three weeks was the record, but there were also dozens of people guessing. Here we've only had about a dozen guesses so far, which is why I suggested lifting the one-guess-per-poster rule.

Alternatively, it might help to move this thread into the Rec Room. To be honest, I really only come in here when I need to, and I can see many people acting in a similar vein. Put the thread where people know the competition is happening (and IIRC this and the caption challenges used to be in a subforum of the Rec Room), and you'll get a winner within two weeks, guaranteed.

Philip J Fry

Philip J Fry

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 28, 2011 @ 7:08 AM

...can we remove the "one guess per person" rule?

What? There's a one guess per person rule? But I'm still playing! Is that in the FAQ, TheGrimRecapper?

I'm glad this thread was moved here, as I never played until it was.

TheGrimRecapper

TheGrimRecapper

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2011 @ 5:46 PM

What? There's a one guess per person rule? But I'm still playing! Is that in the FAQ, TheGrimRecapper?

There was one back when the game was originally played, ostensibly to stop people from guessing repeatedly.

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Moderator

Posted Feb 28, 2011 @ 7:40 PM

It's not things that are purple.

As for moving the thread and the rules of the game, I'll let pass on your questions and suggestions to Strega.

Here's a maybe hint. When you play Twenty Questions, what are the three categories you generally use. This RDC would fit clearly within one category.

Strega

Strega

Network Executive

Posted Feb 28, 2011 @ 10:47 PM

As an aside: Since there are so few people playing -- and probably even fewer aware the game is on again -- can we remove the "one guess per person" rule? Otherwise we're probably never going to get it.

I'm fine with that; if we get to a point where one person is always getting it with a barrage of guesses we can revisit. And I can move the thread -- I left it here so people weren't also asking in the questions/suggestions thread, and also so it's easier for the writers to find. Maybe I'll pin it in the Rec Room section if that's easier for you all. I'll wait a day to see if there's any objection to either of those changes...

It should probably be noted that originally it was the same phrase recurring throughout recaps, but that became too easy to confirm as search engines improved. So then we moved more toward "themes" and they became significantly harder. (For the writers as well, I think.)

TheGrimRecapper

TheGrimRecapper

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2011 @ 8:05 PM

Is it minerals?

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 5, 2011 @ 2:31 AM

It is not.

Philip J Fry

Philip J Fry

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 19, 2011 @ 11:19 PM

TheGrimRecapper:

Alternatively, it might help to move this thread into the Rec Room. To be honest, I really only come in here when I need to, and I can see many people acting in a similar vein. Put the thread where people know the competition is happening (and IIRC this and the caption challenges used to be in a subforum of the Rec Room), and you'll get a winner within two weeks, guaranteed.

Strega:

I can move the thread -- I left it here so people weren't also asking in the questions/suggestions thread, and also so it's easier for the writers to find. Maybe I'll pin it in the Rec Room section if that's easier for you all. I'll wait a day to see if there's any objection to either of those changes...

Strega, please bring the thread back to the Tech forum. As it stands, there is no indication as to when a new entry is posted and so I've had to check it regularly for the promised flurry of activity that has not come to pass.

bparhad

bparhad

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2011 @ 11:43 PM

I actually prefer it here. It is technically more suited to the Rec Room, IMO. I think the reason there hasn't been much activity is because people aren't guessing, not because of what forum area it's under.

Nevermind; I just looked at some recaps, and my guess didn't make sense!

Edited by bparhad, Mar 21, 2011 @ 9:24 AM.

Remlab

Remlab

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 21, 2011 @ 12:37 PM

Since Strega has allowed second guesses, is it classic Children Stories? Or is that too broad of a guess?

I also enjoy the thread here, and since The Rec Room is for games, and the challenge is a game, it fits here quite nicely.

Edited by Remlab, Mar 21, 2011 @ 12:40 PM.

Millie

Millie

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2011 @ 3:47 PM

I am respectfully asking for another clue so we can get this one behind us.

idledandy

idledandy

Stalker

Posted Mar 22, 2011 @ 6:23 PM

Is it something to do with references to where the recappers live?