Posted Jan 22, 2005 @ 2:04 PM

Ha ha.
Wing Chun hate RDC thread!
Wing Chun smash!

Holliday

Holliday

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2010 @ 1:14 AM

Ok, I'm trying to understand. So whoever wins the RDC challenge is the winner of...the glory? I mean, I'll take it if that is what the prize is. I just want to understand!

With that said - currently tashiann11 is now basking in all the glory. Do I have it right?

Anyone?

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Oct 1, 2010 @ 3:30 AM

Ding ding ding!

You deserve your share of internet glory, too.

tashiann11

tashiann11

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2010 @ 3:14 PM

I'm just basking away here. I'm seriously happy to have won a challenge that only proves I spend too much time reading about tv. :) Bring on the next one!

Cindy McLennan

Cindy McLennan

Network Executive

Posted Oct 1, 2010 @ 3:18 PM

tashiann11, in which recaps did you spot the Tommy Chong?

tashiann11

tashiann11

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2010 @ 4:13 PM

I found Tommy Chong in two places:

Top Chef: Just Desserts

Since this is California and these guys aren't smoking weed, they are of course relegated to the not-at-all-nice rooftop to smoke their nasty tobacco products. Seriously, California would let Tommy Chong light up anywhere in East LA, but the Marlboro Man was run out to the border on a rail. The state has plant issues.
The Baked guy (not Tommy Chong) can't believe a baker has made it this far into the dessert competition.

And in the recaplet for No Ordinary Family

Their near-death experience inspires the Powells to tighten their family ties, but as soon as they're back home, that dream goes up in smoke, faster than you can say "Tommy Chong."

The fact that I was traveling for work without access to a TV and wanted to find out what I had missed; that both references were on the first page of the respective recap/weecaps; and you picked Tommy Chong helped.

Posted Image

Edited by TWoP Barnes, Oct 21, 2010 @ 12:40 PM.
edited to add our glorious prize

Strega

Strega

Network Executive

Posted Oct 9, 2010 @ 1:39 AM

F everyone's I, the latest RDC is now guessable so the glory is up for grabs again.

beadgirl

beadgirl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2010 @ 6:44 PM

Apparently the New York Times is now doing the contest. A clue in this past Sunday's puzzle was "Actress Chong," with the answer "Rae Dawn."

Also, my thanks to TWoP, without whom I would not have been able to answer the clue.

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Oct 21, 2010 @ 12:08 PM

I can't believe we're now two weeks into the second RDC (volume 2) and there hasn't been one guess yet. You won't be punished if you guess and you're wrong.

Edited by LTG, Oct 21, 2010 @ 12:09 PM.

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Moderator

Posted Oct 21, 2010 @ 12:45 PM

I just edited tashiann11's post to bestow our glorious prize. I'm going to remove the ambiguity from the thread name too, and see if that helps.

I can't believe we're now two weeks into the second RDC (volume 2) and there hasn't been one guess yet. You won't be punished if you guess and you're wrong.

Not even a little? Bah. Where's the fun for the mods?

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Oct 21, 2010 @ 1:49 PM

I just edited tashiann11's post to bestow our glorious prize.

Suitable for framing!

I like the new title.

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Oct 21, 2010 @ 5:31 PM

I just edited tashiann11's post to bestow our glorious prize.

Old graphics never die. They just lose resolution.

Nailbiter

Nailbiter

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 28, 2010 @ 5:18 AM

Perhaps most of the people who knew about this game have moved on to other online hangouts after the site changed so much with the Bravo takeover.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Oct 28, 2010 @ 6:58 AM

Not all of us have. Perhaps just the ones good at it. I could never get this the first time around either.

bparhad

bparhad

Stalker

Posted Oct 28, 2010 @ 8:22 AM

I missed it the first time around, but I remember reading old recaps when I first found the site and thinking "why is everyone talking about Rae Dawn Chong? Is she related to someone that runs the site?". Hindsight is always 20/20. But yeah, I've been reading the recaps, and I suck at this. It will probably become abundantly clear to me after someone guesses the right answer.

Philip J Fry

Philip J Fry

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 20, 2010 @ 8:40 AM

Coincidence or RDC?

From Daniel's Fringe recap, published 2010.10.06:

He shines his flashlight along the floor of the tunnel. Ew! Dead rat! A little farther along, Peter finds the homeless guy, sitting against the tunnel wall, chin quivering, head nodding. He could still be alive -- oh, wait, his head just exploded, like the pear of anguish just sprang open.

From Demian's Glee recap, published 2010.10.18:

...Rachel, Finn, Tinkles, and about forty-five members of McKinley's orchestra and jazz ensemble have assembled so Finn and Rachel might rehearse their entry in the Glee Club's duets competition, and I'm sorry, but these two dolts shrieking "Wooooo-hoo! Nobody knooooows it!" is like Torquemada himself returning from Hell to shove a pear of anguish into my ear canal and start spinning.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Nov 20, 2010 @ 10:39 AM

You're on the right track, but not exactly.

Philip J Fry

Philip J Fry

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 20, 2010 @ 1:12 PM

Are we looking for a theme, rather than a phrase? Also, I gather from LTG's post (second to his last) that it started in the first week of October. Is there an end date, or does it keep going until someone gets it or the recappers run out of ideas?

ETA: Is this it?

From Montykins's The Event recap, published 2010.10.11:

Is Martinez willing to sign off on torture to find out information from Sophia? No. Except for the issue of messing with corpses, he absolutely refuses to authorize anything immoral in the way of interrogation. When the Ripped From Today's Headlines section ends, he says that he has an even more cunning plan. More cunning than the Judas Cradle? I doubt that!

From Tippi Blevins's Nikita recap, published 2010.10.11:

Next thing we see, Owen is in the bowels of some ship, getting the snot beaten out of him by Roan. Roan apparently didn't have a Judas Cradle on hand, so he had to make do with tying Owen to a regular chair.

From Tippi Blevins's Smallville recap, published 2010.11.10:

General Lane emerges from the shadows, wearing fatigues. He plucks the list from Clark's hand and makes him sit. Sadly, it is not on a Judas Cradle.

Edited by Philip J Fry, Nov 20, 2010 @ 2:59 PM.

riley702

riley702

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2010 @ 3:51 PM

Are those both implements of torture?

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Moderator

Posted Nov 20, 2010 @ 6:27 PM

Getting very, very warm now.

Philip J Fry

Philip J Fry

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 20, 2010 @ 8:53 PM

Are those both implements of torture?

Yes, they are, riley702. In particular, they are Medieval instruments of torture; which is why I asked if it was a theme, as opposed to a phrase.

After reading about the Pear of Anguish in the Glee and Fringe recaps, I recalled a mention of the Iron Maiden in a House recap and so, thinking along the lines of that theme, began to search. I'm still unsure as to the time-frame of the competition, but I'm putting the rest of my cards on the table right now:

From Lauren S's Grey's Anatomy recap, published 2010.10.13:

...a relieved Cristina pipes up and asks desperately if she can leave. Her tone is more that of someone who has just spent hours on the rack than that of a surgeon who has just observed a procedure.

From Demian's Supernatual recap, published 2010.10.14:

Unfortunately for The Imperiled Partner, his careful ablutions seem to have opened up a pair of shaving nicks on either side of his face, and -- even more unfortunately for The Imperiled Partner -- when he lifts his fingers to apply pressure to the cut on his right, his hand basically turns into a Spanish Tickler, and he strips a four-inch slice of fresh meat from his cheek.

From DeAnn Welker's The Apprentice recap, published 2010.10.15:

Well, I think they've blown it even though the women sent naked men out on stage. In fact, the women would have had to enact the Spanish tickler on stage to lose this one.

From Sara M's House recap, published 2010.10.25:

And finally, Cuddy lost her freaking mind. So she wants House to baby-sit. Even though ANYONE ELSE would be a better choice. Hell, leaving the kid tied down to her crib unsupervised would be a better choice. Leaving the kid tied down to an Iron Maiden would be a better choice.

From Montykins's The Event recap, published 2010.11.15:

Sterling enters to report on the mole situation, which in his opinion is that Murphy was the mole and they caught him. They're presumably waterboarding him right now. Or possibly strapping him to a ducking stool. Or using any of a number of medieval tortures that would be appropriate in this situation.

Posted Image

Edited by TWoP Barnes, Nov 20, 2010 @ 10:58 PM.
Glory, laud and honor for ending this torturous challenge!

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Moderator

Posted Nov 20, 2010 @ 10:59 PM

They are Medieval instruments of torture

DING DING DING! Nice job, Philip J Fry!

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Nov 20, 2010 @ 11:55 PM

Leela will be so proud.

Philip J Fry

Philip J Fry

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 21, 2010 @ 12:01 AM

Yay, me! And special thanks to LTG. This was a clue, right? It certainly encouraged me to stay on the torture track.

Really missing Jack Bauer and Sayid Jarrah right now. Good times.

ETA: BTW, I won this without being exactly clear about the rules. The FAQ wasn't much help; nor was this thread, as it stands. Do you think someone at TWoP might make a pinned post, or update the first post in this thread, to spell out the rules of the RDC Challenge?

Edited by Philip J Fry, Nov 21, 2010 @ 12:11 AM.

riley702

riley702

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2010 @ 12:57 AM

Congrats, Philip!

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Nov 22, 2010 @ 7:54 AM

Thank God! Thinking of new references to make was becoming torture all by itself.

And among the other items mention already, recappers wrote about an antique knee splitter, crocodile tube, virgin of Nuremberg, Catherine wheel, heretic's fork, strappado, lead sprinkler, and street sweeper's daughter.

Congrats, Philip.

Edited by LTG, Nov 22, 2010 @ 1:50 PM.

Philip J Fry

Philip J Fry

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 22, 2010 @ 8:33 AM

Thank God! Thinking of new references to make was becoming torture all by itself.

Well, nobody expected the Spanish Inquisition. I found no mention of the Comfy Chair.

Cindy McLennan

Cindy McLennan

Network Executive

Posted Dec 7, 2010 @ 11:13 PM

A new RDC challenge started round about today -- plus or minus a day. Math is not my strong suit.