Yes, Virginia. There Is Another Rae Dawn Chong Challenge

• Please log in to reply

99 replies to this topic

mikeystyle

mikeystyle

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 9, 2004 @ 12:42 AM

I discovered TWoP just before that whole thing ended. Done properly, it could be a lot of fun again.

Tubey

Tubey

Posted Dec 9, 2004 @ 4:43 AM

Who's saying we ever really stopped?

FoxFireX

FoxFireX

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 9, 2004 @ 9:17 AM

So, do I earn instant bannage for pointing Tubey to the FAQ?

RDC Challenge: ... The RDC Challenge was retired in 2002.

I mean, if you want us to start believing that things in the FAQ are open to interpretation, we can....

Tubey

Tubey

Posted Dec 9, 2004 @ 11:43 AM

Hey, believe whatever you want, less competition for everyone else!

Nflux Forever

Nflux Forever

Fanatic

Posted Dec 10, 2004 @ 2:32 AM

Can someone point me to an example or two from a previous RDC just so i can get the gist of what it's about? It still sounds a little confusing to me.

mtvcdm

mtvcdm

Fanatic

Posted Dec 10, 2004 @ 5:14 PM

Well, I looked up "Rae Dawn Chong", which is what RDC stands for, and it seems that it was from before I got here in late 2001. Specifically, it happened in late 2000 and spilled over into 2001. Among the entries:

From Angel:

Angel tries to look mysterious and sexy, and it's about as enticing as watching Rae Dawn Chong eat a hot banana.

From Dawson's Creek:

As they stroll up the dock, Jen asks if he's learned things "like how to downward-spiral your way into adulthood?" Okay, writers. "Downward spiral" is your "Rae Dawn Chong." We get it. Now for God's sake buy a thesaurus.

From The Fugitive:

Close-up of Timothy Daly's face, beaming relief, perhaps at the fact that at least he's starring in a sad remake of a classic TV show, and that he's not, say, Rae Dawn Chong or Adrian Pasdar, starring in a sad rip-off of Touched by an Angel on NBC.

From Real World:

I have a serious problem with some of these "suffer in the wilderness without decent food and no shade in order to build character and trust amongst a group of people who shouldn't trust each other to begin with" kind of trips. Just so you know. I mean, couldn't the same measure of suffering and, therefore, trust building, be achieved with a Rae Dawn Chong movie marathon? Soul Man alone ought to do it. With much less potential for death. Unless we're counting self-inflicted wounds, of course.

From Twin Peaks:

Strangely, she also possesses a rather stunning similarity to Rae Dawn Chong, who suddenly I am unable to get out of my head for some unbelievably strange reason.

raen

raen

Fanatic

Posted Dec 10, 2004 @ 7:01 PM

At the end of September 2000 one of the HoPs (I think it may have been Wing but this was before my time) had a brilliant idea. Why not put a phrase in lots of recaps and see if any of the forum posters notice? Just for a bit of fun and to see if any one is paying attention.

Rae Dawn Chong was chosen for the phrase, I have no idea why, I think it was something to do with a crush Glark had, but this is all really just MBTV/TWoP folklore. Over the next couple of weeks the phrase Rae dawn Chong appeared in an Angel recap, a Buffy recap, a Sex and the City recap, a Dawson's Creek recap, a The Fugitive recap, a Third Watch recap and a Twin Peaks recap. In fact it appeard three times in the Twin Peaks recap. Djb, so the story goes was either having difficulty getting the phrase into his recap, or was being all anvilly and went so far as to say "And has anyone noticed he's practically the male Hollywood doppelganger of Rae Dawn Chong? Ever notice that? Notice that. Notice THAT, Sars." Sars, joined in the fun by replying "["Noticed. Also noticed: a note of, er, soulful desperation attending to that last reference." -- Sars]"

So that's how it went. And that's all I can tell you. For the story of when someone finally noticed, I'll have to hand over to any of the posters who are still around or to the HoPs, because I don't know that part of the story.

Glark

Glark

Posted Dec 11, 2004 @ 12:13 AM

1. I don't or have I ever had a crush on RDC.
2. The first poster to notice and asked about the multiple RDC references was Shack.
3. The longest time an RDC went unsolved was one I came up with that had three parts and two of those parts were dynamic. I don't remember it exactly but it was something like Country Name - Baby - Disease Name. So the recapper would work in "Canadian Baby Herpes" or "Japanese Baby Cancer". I think it lasted over three weeks.

Polter-Cow

Polter-Cow

Stalker

Posted Dec 11, 2004 @ 2:05 AM

in an Angel recap, a Buffy recap

Ha! Those two have a sub-RDC of "hot banana."

Lila

Lila

Posted Dec 11, 2004 @ 2:31 AM

"Rae Dawn Chong" and "hot banana" both came out of conversations when many of the recappers got together in Vegas. I feel obliged to stress that they came from unrelated conversations, because ew. If I remember right, and I might not, it began as a challenge for the recappers, for our own amusement -- "Can you work this into your recap?" with "And will any of the readers notice?" as a bonus.

mikeystyle

mikeystyle

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 11, 2004 @ 2:51 AM

I first showed up here early in 2002, and I think I only caught the last couple of RDC Challenges. Watching everyone else try to solve them was just as fun as trying to figure them out myself.

If those never "officially" come back, how about another "spot the funny" type of challenge, like Find the Fake Ad? We've got enough talented photoshoppers and web designer types around here to pull it off. Simply stick one well-done spoof into the rotation with the genuine ads, and set up a thread to collect the guesses. First correct guesser gets to do the next one.

If nothing else, we'll be paying a little more attention to the ads!

StickyKeys

StickyKeys

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2004 @ 3:21 AM

So start it back up for us young-uns!

ps. Glark don't be ashamed, Rae Dawn Chong was very personable and oh so adorable... wait, I'm thinking of Rachel True. Oh well, love is blind.

Cobalt Stargazer

Cobalt Stargazer

Stalker

Posted Dec 11, 2004 @ 5:10 AM

I remember when Caption Challenges were still being run, kind of like the pixel challenges except posters had to come up with appropriate captions for the pictures in question. Is there any possibility of seeing these again?

Shack

Shack

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2004 @ 12:58 PM

And let's just say at the time the RDC started, I had lots of free time to notice them.

Glark

Glark

Posted Dec 11, 2004 @ 1:30 PM

The RDC pre-dated Google's dominance. There's really no point now. Unless there's is something like it going on right now and we're just not telling you. Remember, there was no contest announced when Shack asked about the RDC mentions. It just was.

rdc.jpg

Maybe all of us have been waiting for the past 14 months for you to pick up on something but we're in no hurry to hand out clues.

The Caption Challenges are lost to history... unfunny history.

watcha

watcha

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2004 @ 5:25 PM

14 months??? But there are so many TWoP-isms to notice a pattern.

we're in no hurry to hand out clues

So, roughly how many clues have been handed out?

*Begins a 4 month long recap-reading session* Great, just when I said to myself that I would cut down on TWoP time.

Frenchteacher

Frenchteacher

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2004 @ 9:58 PM

Maybe all of us have been waiting for the past 14 months for you to pick up on something but we're in no hurry to hand out clues.

Ooh! I think I noticed something! All the recaps have... numbered pages!

Ok, I don't got it.

It'sAllAboutTheGiants

It'sAllAboutTheGiants

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2004 @ 4:28 PM

I know what it is! It's Simpsons references, right? Like "Mmmm, [nouuuun]" or "[Most]. [Something]. Ever." I'm going to keep guessing that every single day until Glark tells me otherwise.

Or maybe I'll just ban myself.

Hilary Dickulous

Hilary Dickulous

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 13, 2004 @ 6:26 PM

Is it a version of "Realistic recapping swings wildly into the recapper's dream version of events! Oh, it does not." ?

Sarahj

Sarahj

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 14, 2004 @ 12:12 AM

Very common in Sobell's recaps of Las Vegas. God, that show sucks.

Edited by Sarahj, Dec 15, 2004 @ 7:11 AM.

Dan Kwa

Dan Kwa

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 14, 2004 @ 12:26 AM

Yes, you all are correct. Jokes are the new Rae Dawn Chong.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Dec 14, 2004 @ 6:35 PM

"I'll bet that never happens on ________[name of other recapped show here]"

JerseyOrange

JerseyOrange

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 14, 2004 @ 10:25 PM

First of all:

Jokes are the new Rae Dawn Chong.

needs to go on a T-shirt. Glark?

Y'know, I haven't seen "blah blah blah [something]cakes" in quite a while. Has it been 14 months?

Shelwood

Shelwood

Stalker

Posted Dec 15, 2004 @ 1:41 AM

I noticed a brief outbreak of "This is the time on [blank] when we dance/Touch my monkey" jokes after one recapper gathering, but I assumed it was a shout-out to Regina's Alias recaps.

ChocolateCherry

ChocolateCherry

Fanatic

Posted Dec 15, 2004 @ 10:12 AM

I wish I had a band (or could play an instrument) I would so name my first song "Peruvian Baby Ebola".

Wing Chun

Wing Chun

Posted Dec 15, 2004 @ 11:36 AM

THE RDC IS OVER AUGH.

Glark

Glark

Posted Dec 15, 2004 @ 1:31 PM

Booo Wing! Boo!
You're no fun.

mljzcb

mljzcb

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 20, 2005 @ 1:18 PM

"Is this because I'm a lesbian?"

(kidding, seriously, just kidding.)

Tubey

Tubey

Posted Jan 20, 2005 @ 6:01 PM

Hey Mljzcb found our Back When That Joke Was Still Funny Time Machine! Givitback! Givitback! Givitback!

alliterator

alliterator

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2005 @ 1:57 AM

Actually, if Mljzcb found the BWTJWSFT Machine, he or she would have added (monkey) after the "seriously."