Love My Way

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

156 replies to this topic

bodwod

bodwod

Fanatic

Posted Nov 22, 2004 @ 10:19 PM

I watched the premiere of this new Australian made-for-pay-TV drama last night and really enjoyed it. It reminded me of a short-lived Canadian show called "These Arms of Mine". It also had touches of "Once & Again" presented in a "Six Feet Under" style.

The acting was pretty solid (the dependably great Claudia Karvan and Brendan Cowell), the characters were real (in that they're not all likable) and the humour was very home-grown. But, did I miss Sam Worthington or has he not arrived in the story yet?

I'm going to keep tuning in for this one. After all the hype and advertising it's received, it didn't disappoint IMHO.

Edited by bodwod, Nov 22, 2004 @ 10:34 PM.

Elizajoey

Elizajoey

Fanatic

Posted Nov 24, 2004 @ 5:38 AM

It was already on?! I missed it?!

Damn that. I didn't realise it was on this week.

Any idea when it might repeat?

I was looking forward to it - for you to actually advertise yourselves as on par or better that Six Feet Under, you must really be good or just want to be incredibly embarassed.

How was Claudia Karvan's character daughter? The actress I mean - is the character's name Lori or Lucky or something? She is meant to be really good.

bodwod

bodwod

Fanatic

Posted Nov 24, 2004 @ 9:07 PM

It's similar stylistically to Six Feet Under but probably has a way to go to be too comparible.

The pilot is repeated tonight at 9.30pm and one or two times after that. See Foxtel Guide for more times.

The kid was pretty good but didn't get a lot of screen time. She had a healthy dose of sarcasm in the delivery of all her lines. Gotta love that.

Nikkei

Nikkei

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 10, 2004 @ 5:19 PM

I'm finding this show amazing for Australian TV. Although I probably would have pickedd "Love is a Four Letter Word" as a comparison show rather than "Six Feet Under".

It's a big shame people without pay tv won't be able to see it, but at least it means it doesn't have to cater for channel ten's audience.

It's definitely my favourite summer viewing so far.

Sarahj

Sarahj

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 13, 2004 @ 12:23 AM

I'm upset that it doesn't screen on free-to-air because I don't have cable. Very envious.

Aspired Genuis

Aspired Genuis

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 13, 2004 @ 12:44 AM

I agree, the show has surpassed all my expectations (which, granted were minimal) I especially like the way in which the four central characters are linked in complex circumstances yet even though they get on reasonably well they do show flaws in the friendships. Therefore it's a surreal situation but is is conveyed pragmatically. Ugh, I'm over complicating my description but I do find it hard to describe why I like the show so much. It also helps that Alex Cook (Franks daughter) is the first talented Australian child actor I've seen anywhere. Irritating children are the fastest way to kill a show.

bodwod

bodwod

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2004 @ 12:52 AM

I'd say the third talented Australian child actor. Claudia Karvan started out pretty young and was always great. The other kid performance I thought was of pretty high standard was Rebecca Smart's in the remake of the Shiralee - granted I had to go back 16 years to find decent child performances but there have been a couple scattered over the decades - hmm, that's pretty sad.

Avari

Avari

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 13, 2004 @ 1:18 AM

I'm glad to see a thread here - I'm really impressed with this show. I'm particularly wowed by Asher Keddie, who's doing a great job with Julia. Hope we get to see more of Sam Worthington, too.

I really like the theme song - Magic Dirt's cover of 'Love My Way' by Psychedelic Furs. Good, good stuff.

If Foxtel wants to start creating dramas on an HBO-type level, they're off to a great start with this show.

bodwod

bodwod

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2004 @ 6:19 PM

I'm upset that it doesn't screen on free-to-air because I don't have cable. Very envious.

I'm sure it'll be released on DVD.

bodwod

bodwod

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2005 @ 4:52 PM

So, the preview for next week's episode looks fairly devastating. Does anyone think they are planning to kill Lou off? I've read ahead in the online TV guide and whatever happens has lasting effects. I've never seen a show kill off a main character who's a child. Pretty brave move if that's what they do. Looks like the next few episodes are going to be hard to watch.

Aspired Genuis

Aspired Genuis

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 12, 2005 @ 9:46 PM

The preview had me intrigued as well at first I thought it was just going to be the token angst filled episode with a Near Death but then everybody's happy in the end kinda thing. But after a tour of the foxtel guide I think Lou's getting killed off. Definitely a ballsy move, on the writers part. SHe's central to all the characters and another season without her, i would think, would be hard. Still I'm continually impressed with the talent the actors have and I think they can pull it off amazingly well. I'll just have to keep the tissues on hand.

bodwod

bodwod

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2005 @ 2:54 AM

I thought the same until I'd read the guide and agree with everything you posted, Aspired Genuis. Very new territory for television if our gut feelings are correct. Lou really is the main thing keeping interraction between Charlie and Frankie though so it's a big tie to cut for future seasons. I suppose there's still Tom, but still...

bodwod

bodwod

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2005 @ 8:38 AM

B-LOOD-Y HELL!!! With the exception of the news lately, that was the saddest hour of television I have ever watched (and I've watched A LOT). Brilliantly executed by cast and crew - I just can't believe they went there! Damn that was sad. I was practically foetal by the end of it. Just in case someone reading this thread hasn't seen it yet and plans to catch it on the repeat... can anyone think of a show where they have killed off a major character who is a child? A very brave move and I'm thinking I must be a bit of a first.

Nikkei

Nikkei

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 17, 2005 @ 6:52 PM

I missed the first half and didn't see the previews, so when Frankie ran out of the room crying I thought she was just freaking out over something. Then when they showed her looking through photos with Tom, I started thinking "No - they wouldn't!"

The bathroom scene with Frankie and Tom was pretty moving. Same with Charlie smelling the stuffed toy.

I'm in two minds about watching the first half on Thursday - it felt too real to me, like somoeone I know.

bodwod

bodwod

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2005 @ 7:24 PM

It was very real. I'm still getting over it this morning. It was so well done though, Nikkei that it's worth seeing the first half, even though it's difficult to watch. Besides, next week doesn't look like it's going to be any easier.

purist

purist

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2005 @ 7:28 PM

Fuck - I've never seen something so emotionally honest. I am in awe.

Love My Way and Deadwood - just those two programs have completely justified the cost of having Foxtel for me.

Aspired Genuis

Aspired Genuis

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 17, 2005 @ 10:05 PM

Climbing out of my pit of sobs and discarded tissues to agree with you all. Awesome stuff. It was all so vivid, especially the paramedic scene. I was physically getting shaky, like I was in the park watching. God how will I ever watch the next couple of episodes. For the first time ever I'm damn proud of some Australian TV.
I was unbelievably impressed with Dan Wyllie (charlie) I can't believe I've never heard of him before. It's now my personal mission to stop the godawful mess that is "The Logies" being so pitiful and humiliating this year. I emplore everyone vote "Love My Way." Maybe then the rest of the industry could take notes on how drama should be.

purist

purist

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2005 @ 12:02 AM

Dan Wyllie played the creepy killer on The Shark Net on the ABC last year, and Muriel's brother in Muriel's Wedding. I first really noticed him, though, as Fish in the stage production of Cloudstreet. He was awesome. That scene of him in the surf last night damn near broke my heart.

Alex Cook, the kid who played poor dead Lou, is actually up for the Best New Talent Logie this year! Check this out. Has the show been nominated in any other categories?

I don't know about the public-voted categories, Aspired Genius, but if there's any justice in the world, in the peer-voted categories it should go like this:
Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series: Claudia Karvan
Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series: Dan Wyllie
Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Asher Keddie
Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series: Brendan Cowell
Outstanding Drama Series: Love My Way

And because it can't be said often enough: Claudia Karvan rocks.

Edited by purist, Jan 18, 2005 @ 12:04 AM.

Avari

Avari

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 18, 2005 @ 12:10 AM

Wow. I'm almost speechless after last night's episode. What a truly amazing piece of television.

Is there any word on a renewal for season two yet? I think there are only two episodes of this current season left.

bodwod

bodwod

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2005 @ 2:00 AM

They have a lot of emotions to tie up in two episodes. I hope when (positive thinking) they do come back for a second season there's not too much of a time gap. There's a real story to be told with this loss and if they can continue to write and perform it as well as last night it would be amazing to watch. I would hate to see a 6 mnth break and all is OK (although I have more faith in this show than that). Besides, I want to see Frankie on her birthday in 3 months time.

FJS

FJS

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 18, 2005 @ 5:15 AM

Delurking for my first ever post to say I love this show! The down side is that because it's on cable there is almost no one I can talk to about it and I desperately needed a debrief after last night. It has really drawn me in. The performances and writing are outstanding. I think what I love the most is that all the characters are flawed and I alternately love and am infuriated with each one (even little Lou).

I tuned in half way through last nights episode, just when they were talking to the funeral director and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It tore my heart out. I can't think of another TV funeral/death that I have seen handled so well. I am keeping my fingers crossed for a Season 2 so that we get to see the impact of last night played out in all its complexity.

Aspired Genius as per your suggestion I am dutifully heading off to do battle against Neighbours et al and for once in my life purchase the bin liner that is known as "TV Week" so that I can vote for those wretched Logies. Looking on the bright side this should clean up at the AFI's this year.

Edited by FJS, Jan 18, 2005 @ 5:21 AM.

purist

purist

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2005 @ 6:21 PM

The Age Green Guide reports today that scripts are being developed for a second series - yay! More details here (scroll down).

I haven't been able to get that scene in the park out of my head. The performance that has stayed with me most, apart from Claudia's, is that of Asher Keddie as Julia. She was superb - trying to keep herself together and organise the ambulance while struggling with her own grief and shock. And later in the episode, when she was with her baby, she brilliantly conveyed the feeling of guilt that her child was still alive while Frank's child was dead. For most of the series I have hated the character of Julia, but I really felt for her in this episode. Magnificent.

Edited by purist, Jan 19, 2005 @ 6:22 PM.

purplenish

purplenish

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 20, 2005 @ 7:52 PM

I too have been a long time lurker but this show has moved me with its brilliant acting and performances by all. I watched the show knowing something bad was going to happen and found it heart wrenching. I sincerely hope that this show goes to a second season if television execs will pay for utter crap like The Cooks how about promoting excellent Australian productions.

Nikkei

Nikkei

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 20, 2005 @ 9:22 PM

I watched the first half last night knowing what was going to happen. It was pretty hard to watch, and I had to turn it off before the funeral.

Seeing the normal, everyday life stuff happening made the death more shocking. I loved how they set up for typical guilt reactions, with Frank telling Lou off for spilling the dye, and Charlie being unreachable.

The other little girl did a pretty good job. I thought the way she stood there in shock, unable to move even to go to the hospital, was very realistic.

I'm pretty tempted to buy TV Weak just to stop Tammin Sursok getting best actress or something.

bodwod

bodwod

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2005 @ 12:25 AM

I know what you mean, Nikkei. Our home office opens into the lounge room and you can see the TV from there. I had to go and watch the last half from there just to get a little distance from it. Very harrowing.

I noticed when I was flicking channels last night and landed on Love My Way repeat that just before the first ad break when Charlie was on the roof with his business partner oblivious to what was happening with Lou, you could hear a siren in the background. Next scene after the break was the ambulance arriving at the park. I thought that was very clever, assuming it was deliberate and that Charlie was close enough to Centennial Park for that to be Lou's siren we were hearing. Just one of the many subtle touches that made the episode so heartbreaking.

bodwod

bodwod

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2005 @ 5:53 AM

Another harrowing and brilliant episode! I'm going to miss this show when it finishes next week.

Nikkei

Nikkei

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 24, 2005 @ 7:17 PM

Me too. It better come out on DVD pretty soon.

I wish the writers from some other "quality" dramas would have a look at this. The relationships are bwritten and acted beautifully.

And it's great that Charlie is allowed to suffer - on most shows he'd be coping admirably.

bodwod

bodwod

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2005 @ 7:24 PM

I was particularly impressed with Dan Wyllie last night. Claudia Karvan was her usual fantastic self, as were Brendan Cowell and Asher Keddie but Dan Wyllie is just shining. I guess he's the real surprise talent in the cast for me, I wouldn't have guessed he'd have it in him. The scene at the soccer field was just devastating.

ETA: I'm sorry I'm posting here so much (hope I'm not boring everyone) but I have noone to talk to about this show because none of my "watercooler" mates have Foxtel. So frustrating.

Edited by bodwod, Jan 24, 2005 @ 7:25 PM.

purist

purist

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2005 @ 7:32 PM

Word on Dan Wyllie's performance. He was one scary mofo when he was yelling at Julia. I actually thought he was going to hit her at one point. Yet again I was impressed by Asher Keddie last night. She's just amazing. I'm even starting to like Julia a bit!

So did anyone else call the 1800 number about the 'Love My Way Feedback Forum'? They advertised it at the start and end of the show.

bodwod

bodwod

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2005 @ 7:53 PM

So did anyone else call the 1800 number about the 'Love My Way Feedback Forum'? They advertised it at the start and end of the show.

Yes, as part of my sad little need to talk about this show, I called the 1800 number. I had to leave my name, postcode and contact details and the message said that they'd contact a select group in the next couple of days.

Edited by bodwod, Jan 24, 2005 @ 7:59 PM.