Hayden & Aaron: TAR 6

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

861 replies to this topic

EmperorSeth

EmperorSeth

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 17, 2005 @ 11:17 AM

Watching the last episode, I immediately thought of the season finale of last year and Hayden and Aaron's decision to take the penalty at the end of the roadblock. I remember a lot of people derided them at the time for quitting, even though they would have essentially taken penalty of half a day or more if they didn't take the four hour penalty. Aaron, if you're still checking this board, what did you think of Rob's decision to use the roadblock penalty as a strategic decision. And did anyone else's opinion of their decision change based on this new episode?

Dezbot

Dezbot

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2005 @ 1:56 AM

The McDonald's near my work has the poster of Aaron and the filet o' fish in the window. I geeked out when I saw it and pointed it out to a friend, who remarked on how attractive Aaron is. We might get ourselves a filet o' fish on Friday, too.

quackshaw

quackshaw

Posted Mar 22, 2005 @ 9:53 AM

No question that Jon and Kris were a very strong team and they were by far my favorites, but Hayden and Aaron seemed to me like an equally strong team.

I disagree that they were equally strong.

In terms of physical challenges, Aaron & Jon seemed fairly evenly matched, but Kris demonstrated consistently that she was stronger than Hayden (except at relay racing).

In terms of navigation, well, let me put it this way - if they had to drive themselves using a map to every cluebox, H&A wouldn't have made it past 2-3 legs. Kris & Jon were fine at this task.

Finally, in terms of teamwork, you cannot compare these two teams. H&A bickered more & more until they imploded as a team & were eliminated (they came in last in Corsica precisely because of confluence of poor navigation skills & poor teamwork). Kris & Jon lasted to the end - and this was in large part, due to superior teamwork.

H&A were certainly a strong team but not equal to Kris & Jon.

Edited by quackshaw, Mar 23, 2005 @ 12:14 PM.

Aaron TAR 6

Aaron TAR 6

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 24, 2005 @ 11:33 PM

Actually, quackshaw, I was on the race and have to defend my girl and I. What you see on the television can be somewhat misleading. First off, going into the 12th leg of the race in Xi-An, Hayden and I had beat every single team more then they had beat us. We had placed ahead of Adam and Rebecca 10 times, they had beat us once. We had beat Freddy and Kendra 8 times, they had beat us 3. And Kris and Jon may have had higher placings then us more consistently, although we did both finish with 4 firsts, but had beat them 6 times and they had beat us 5. I am including the first leg of Budapest because it was supposed to be a pit stop and a non-elim. Production found out when we arrived there that it was illegal to beg in Hungary so that was why it was a to be continued. We finished 4th that leg and Kris and Jon finished 5th, so essentially that was the 6th leg of the race. If it weren't for a cab driver that got us lost for 2 plus hours prior to the keys and a task that relied solely on luck, NOT strength, we would've made it in the final three.

To clarify you saying that Kris was way stronger then Hayden, I will just say this; Kris was an awesome racer and deserves every bit of credit you give her. But people are harder on Hayden because of what you saw on tv. She surely has her flaws as we ALL do and she did do those things you saw on the show. But she was also a great partner to have and did kick some ass, or we wouldn't have made it as far as we did. This is, afterall, a team oriented show. NOT a show with one person competing against another person. Hayden only acted the way you saw maybe 20% of the time. I'm alot of things, but I'm not a dumbass and only a dumbass would ask a person who acted like that all of the time to marry them.

So to also clarify your comments on Hayden being a lot weaker then Kris, Kris only beat her on the salt task and in the tree in Sri Lanka. That was it, and remember Hayden is phobic of heights. I made her do the coconut tree because I knew it would be faster, she had wanted to ride the elephants. Hayden beat Lori up the wall in ice-climbing in Iceland, in Norway K+J did a separate detour task, in Sweden we caught up to them on the bikes and passed them to get to the roadblock first (I had to unroll 15 bales of hay and Jon got the clue after unrolling 3 bales and we still caught up to them at the train station), in Dakar I already said Kris beat Hayden there, in Berlin Hayden had the fastest soapbox time, in both Budapest's legs Hayden and Kris didn't do any roadblocks, in Corsica we weren't even able to compete against them while we did the detour (thanks to Hayden who will admit she's the one who got us lost) because we were so far behind, and then we rocked out in Ethiopia and Hayden found the pendant in about 2 minutes and we went from worst to first. Sri Lanka Hayden beat Kris by probably 200 meters (she was a 400 meter state champion in Washington State and had a scholarship to a Div-1 college for track) and Kris whooped up on Hayden in the tree. Then go to Shanghi and we had one of our best legs and if you preview the tape, Hayden carried more bricks then any of the other girls, she carried as much as me a couple of times. So Hayden deserves to get some props for her efforts, she's a kick ass athlete and just has serious problems with climbing trees and reading maps. She thinks God created mapquest and navigation systems so she won't have to learn how to read a map.

And lastly, and I'll stop writing this novel I've started (is this the longest post in the history of Television without pity?) Hayden and I did bicker, she'll say that was a lot of her doing as well. The girl PMS's worst then anyone I've ever met and needs about 10 hours of sleep a night, so there you go. But I will tell you I love her more then anything and we're still getting married and planning our wedding. The Race brought us closer together and if I had to do it all over again, she would still be the person I'd want to race with.

miri

miri

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2005 @ 11:56 PM

I am including the first leg of Budapest because it was supposed to be a pit stop and a non-elim. Production found out when we arrived there that it was illegal to beg in Hungary so that was why it was a to be continued.

That explains so much.

One thing I've always understood is how frustrating for Racers it must be to see the final version of the Race and then to see how people react to it. Yes, you know it's going to be edited and yes you know you are in the editors' hands. But it must be so frustrating to feel picked upon based on what, to you, is clearly a half truth.

Mama Tiger

Mama Tiger

Stalker

Posted Mar 25, 2005 @ 12:12 AM

Thanks for all that explanation, Aaron. It really does help put a lot of things in perspective. Wow, Hayden must have really been quite the runner when she was younger -- does she still run at all or do any racing, even just for fun?

And you'd think production would have checked before you guys got to Hungary to make sure begging was legal -- other speculation for why that leg was "to be continued" was that it was supposed to be non-elim but Lori & Bolo were so far behind it would have totally hosed production schedules. Your explanation is just further ammo for eliminating that awful begging in the first place -- let's hope, when we finally see a non-elim leg in TAR7, that they've come up with a better penalty!

I'm glad you and Hayden are so happy. I hope you guys have a great future!

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Mar 25, 2005 @ 12:16 AM

The girl PMS's worst then anyone I've ever met and needs about 10 hours of sleep a night, so there you go. But I will tell you I love her more then anything and we're still getting married and planning our wedding. The Race brought us closer together and if I had to do it all over again, she would still be the person I'd want to race with.

Hayden would be so proud :) . I admit that I thought she was pretty shrill, but at least she was self aware of that issue compared to others. And doing the tree stunt when she's afraid of heights? I give her props for that. If Kris and Jon didn't win, I was hoping for you two because after the close call in Corsica you two rallied BIG time.

As for this:

Production found out when we arrived there that it was illegal to beg in Hungary so that was why it was a to be continued.

Leads me to believe that new change for the NEL (whatever that may be) is a result of this. And if this means no more begging, then THANK GOD.

Edited when the server finally decided to work.

Edited by mtlchickie, Mar 25, 2005 @ 12:31 AM.

emtangelwings

emtangelwings

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 25, 2005 @ 1:28 AM

The girl PMS's worst then anyone I've ever met and needs about 10 hours of sleep a night,

Sounds like my 16 yr old daughter.....she hopes we are picked for TAR 8.....keep us in your prayers.....LOL

Aaron,

You guys did a great job on the race. and you have alot to be proud of in each other. Hayden was awesome doing a challenge that involved conquering her fear of heights. Hats off to her!

Elliot

Elliot

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2005 @ 8:52 AM

is this the longest post in the history of Television without pity?

Well, it's the single most informative and effective post that I've seen from anyone. Thanks, Aaron.

Babalu

Babalu

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2005 @ 7:31 PM

Great post, Aaron. I always had a strong feeling there was a lot to like about Hayden when she wasn't stressing. You can see it when she smiles. Congratulations to both of you and good for you for sticking up for your sweetie.

yesman6764

yesman6764

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2005 @ 7:42 PM

Thanks Aaron for your comments on your and Hayden's time on TAR6, especially the reasons for the "uberleg" in Hungary.

I was going to post here anyway about how you and Hayden went the furthest of any TAR first-leg winners since, I believe, Ken/Gerard from TAR3 (I remember reading somewhere they won leg 1 of their Race, but I didn't see that TAR, so I'm not 100% sure).
Since then you and Hayden are the only post TAR3 first leg winners to last more than 3 legs, so take a bow!

Once again, good luck on you and Hayden's post-TAR lives.

Edited by yesman6764, Mar 25, 2005 @ 9:14 PM.

Miss Alli

Miss Alli

Stalker

Posted Mar 25, 2005 @ 8:27 PM

Oh, that's not the longest post in history, believe me. Back in the days before the actual hard limit on post length, you wouldn't believe what we used to get.

Thanks for visiting your thread, and for the info and whatnot. That's very interesting about Budapest, because that was indeed a very weird development. And this:

I'm alot of things, but I'm not a dumbass and only a dumbass would ask a person who acted like that all of the time to marry them.

. . . is a great line.

JulesNeverBeige

JulesNeverBeige

Posted Mar 26, 2005 @ 7:46 PM

But I will tell you I love her more then anything and we're still getting married and planning our wedding. The Race brought us closer together and if I had to do it all over again, she would still be the person I'd want to race with.

Awwwwwwww :-D I just dragged my dh in here to read that post.

pinaycuzin

pinaycuzin

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 26, 2005 @ 8:37 PM

Long post indeed Aaron. I think you deserve praise for defending Hayden and I'm also glad that you admit your weaknesses and don't blame everything on the editing. I wish you and Hayden the best in both of yoru lives

quackshaw

quackshaw

Posted Mar 26, 2005 @ 10:39 PM

Actually, quackshaw, I was on the race and have to defend my girl and I...

Aaron, thanks for taking the time to write. I think all fans of the show appreciate your participation on this board, and I hope you keep checking in!

I think you’ve made a nice case for Hayden to counter my earlier opinion. Your many specific examples were good reminders of Hayden’s efforts in the race.

I do stand by my opinion that Kris & Jon were an overall stronger team. Nevertheless you guys certainly did a solid job a lot of the time, and the 4 trips you won are a well-deserved reward.

Still, if you allow me this point - and I say it because I really really liked your team - I often wished Hayden had exhibited, well, quite a bit more patience & reserve in her approach to some of the problems you encountered. Her repeated impatience with you had seemingly no justification. At all. Plus the final road block from hell, the locks: We saw Rebecca apply an admirable degree of focus & patience to this difficult task, and both she & Hayden were under a similar degree of stress. I wish we could've seen Hayden apply this type of calmness to this & other situations and I think that could’ve made a difference in the end.

At any rate, I loved TAR6 & your guys’ participation in it! Thanks again for responding. Please keep checking in - and best wishes on the engagement!

Tonytigr

Tonytigr

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2005 @ 10:53 PM

Aaron, can you fill us in on any projects or work either of you are dong lately?

Paris in Spring

Paris in Spring

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2005 @ 3:06 AM

Aaron, that was a huge post. Lots of good information too. Thanks for sharing. I wished it was you and Hayden on one of those flights to Chicago on Sept 12th.

Now that TAR6 is over, instead of having your McDonald’s Filet O Fish, when do we get to try your real cooking?

montys_gun

montys_gun

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 27, 2005 @ 9:27 AM

Aaron and Hayden, I feel awful for judging you too early. The volume of your devotion for Hayden must have been something that I missed in the editing, because--really, the effort you put in defending her proves that my assumption has had some serious bias from merely watching the show. I tell you, writing a simple post is hard enough; writing an essay about it must have really taken a lot hard work on your part. You must have genuinely enjoyed her company, because, clearly, you wouldn't have wasted your time supporting her in your writing if you didn't. It's always nice for me to see a better side of anybody, including Hayden.

I applaud you for putting up with Hayden even after all those tough moments. I don't think I could keep up with her personality, but that's just me.

Anyways, I bid my congratulations on your engagement.

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2005 @ 2:05 PM

I'm going to turn my grammar nazi eye away from Aaron's posts and concentrate on the depth of information and loving manner in which he defends his partner. Thanks for sharing and for keeping us up-to-date on your activities.

There's no need to go into medical detail here, but I found that 90% of my PMS symptoms went away when I went on The Pill. There are also some wonderful vitamin/herbal remedies that help many people. Sometimes people as physically healthy as Hayden don't think about asking their doctors for assistance with this stuff during check-ups, but believe me, it's worth trying.

Miss Alli

Miss Alli

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2005 @ 4:27 PM

Okay, posters are posters, and you don't really need to sideswipe their grammar any more than anybody else's, okay? Thanks.

strategery

strategery

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2005 @ 5:02 PM

Showing no pity toward the racers but trying not to dis any posters, I'll take my shot at the other side of this debate:

First off, going into the 12th leg of the race in Xi-An, Hayden and I had beat every single team more then they had beat us.

This is true but -- as the Vienamese General said in response to the American assertion that the U.S. never lost on the battlefield -- it's not that relevant. What matters in the race, prior to the final leg, is not finishing last. By that metric, Kris and Jon were stronger. Hayden and Aaron would have been eliminated at Corsica had it not been a non-elimination leg, and IIRC that was due to some real navigation problems that were Hayden's weak point throughout. (Given the alternative of they-who-must-not-be-named getting saved from elimination in the next leg, of course, I'm not complaining -- God, just thinking about it makes me want to gouge my eyes out.)

Kris and Jon never had such a "near-death" experience; the closest they came to finishing last was in Shanghai (also an NEL), and even then they were further ahead of Adam and Rebecca (40 minutes, as it turned out) than the editing suggested (and were closer to being first or second than they were to being last). Also, performance on the tasks is only part of the equation; navigating is also key so any comparison of teams should account for both aspects.

If it weren't for a cab driver that got us lost for 2 plus hours prior to the keys and a task that relied solely on luck, NOT strength, we would've made it in the final three.

Many teams could point to bad luck as the factor that cost them. Would Gus and Hera have been eliminated in Budapest if Hera hadn't been hit on the head by the gate? Would Kris and Jon have finished second if the AA gate agent hadn't lied to or at least misled them? And the cabbie thing was not pure bad luck; as suggested here, why get back in the cab when you have doubts about the driver? And then why get out of the cab in the middle of nowhere with no plan about how to get another cab? As for the key task, luck played a role but I also recall reading that Hayden broke not one but two keys, as compared to zero for everybody else, so something about her technique was a bit . . . lacking. And I've argued ad nauseum that H&A should have quit the key task as soon as they found out about the penalty, since Hayden was weaker at the task and such "strategic quitting" could have forced Adam and Rebecca to bail out and run for the mat (not that A&R seemed smart enough to figure that out, and they did get very lucky); thus bad luck could have been overcome with strategy (see Rob and Amber, How I -- er, We -- Won the Amazing Race, forthcoming).

Even if H&A had made the final 3, Hayden would have had to do the skydiving task because Aaron had reached his roadblock limit (and she had to do the key task for the same reason). Given her fear of heights, that would have been . . . interesting to watch. And it also raises questions about why Aaron did the grape-stomping, the climb up Lion's Rock, and the zipline (and if she couldn't do that one how could she have done the skydiving?).

Edited to be less jerkish. Clearly Hayden and Aaron were one of the strongest teams. And much credit to Hayden for being able to admit her flaws (we all have them) -- unlike certain other racers who shall remain nameless -- and to Aaron for being a good sport about it all and having a sense of humor about himself.

Edited by strategery, Mar 31, 2005 @ 6:28 PM.

FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 28, 2005 @ 11:25 PM

Many teams could point to bad luck as the factor that cost them. Would Gus and Hera have been eliminated in Budapest if Hera hadn't been hit on the head by the gate? Would Kris and Jon have finished second if the AA gate agent hadn't lied to or at least misled them?

Gus and Hera lost because they did the boat option, instead of the water polo. IIRC, I don't think they were the last team to check in at that detour. I don't remember that entire leg very accurately, so I'm not exactly sure what led up to that detour. And Kris and Jon could've checked around despite what the ticket counter guy said. That wasn't bad luck, they should've covered all their bases at that point in the race. When you're in a cab, you're at the mercy of the cab driver, because you have no clue where you are going. In hindsight, they should've probably switched cabs sooner, but with the language barrier, they had no way to know how lost they really were. Were they close, and just couldn't find the place, or were they nowhere near where they were going? They gambled on that driver a little too long, but in the end, they still arrived at the RB while Rebecca was still doing it (and wasn't Kris or Kendra still going for a few minutes when Hayden started?). At that point, they were at the mercy of lady luck, and clearly she wasn't on their side. IMO, Aaron & Hayden and Lena & Kristy were the only ones who got raw deals because of bad luck. The others just made bad choices/mistakes or just got beat. I think Hayden & Aaron and Kris & Jon should've been 1-2. Despite her panicking, Hayden definitely held her own when it was crunch time. Adam & Rebecca got to the final 3 because of the uber-bunching and luck RBs. And Freddy & Kendra won because Kris & Jon messed up by not looking for an earlier flight at the end.

Aaron, nice post bud. Thanks for sharing. I would've liked to see you and Hayden battle it out with Kris & Jon for the win, instead of Freddy & Kendra walking away with it. Best of luck to you and Hayden.

quackshaw

quackshaw

Posted Mar 29, 2005 @ 8:16 AM

Aaron & Hayden and Lena & Kristy were the only ones who got raw deals because of bad luck... Despite her panicking, Hayden definitely held her own when it was crunch time. Adam & Rebecca got to the final 3 because of the uber-bunching and luck RBs.

I disagree. In the Xian leg, Hayden & Aaron did get the worst taxi driver in China, but they did not lose due to bad luck alone. They lost because Rebecca showed better skills at the Locks Roadblock and finished it by being focused, perservering & patient. I know Hayden had less time than Rebecca, but Kris & Kendra finished the task in a much shorter time as well. If anyone had bad luck on that roadblock, it was Rebecca, but she got the task done. Yes, her last-minute success had all the elements of fucking amazing luck, but her finishing the roadblock was based on a lot more than that.

In short, Adam & Rebecca did not get to final 3 due to good luck alone (or because of bunching, for that matter) & Hayden & Aaron did not get eliminated due to bad luck alone.

Miss Alli

Miss Alli

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2005 @ 8:58 AM

Okay, but . . . topic. Thanks.

FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 29, 2005 @ 9:17 AM

In short, Adam & Rebecca did not get to final 3 due to good luck alone (or because of bunching, for that matter) & Hayden & Aaron did not get eliminated due to bad luck alone.

For Adam and Rebecca, I was referring to the whole race. Aaron and Hayden were clearly better racers, and all Adam and Rebecca did was follow everyone else (remember the Spaz going off on them for following him everywhere!!). Had there not been so much bunching, I have a hard time believing that A & R would've made it that far. Plus, I don't think they ever threatened to win any leg (except for the FF in Corsica), and they were saved by a NEL too.

And I believe Aaron said that Hayden was going through the locks for like 2 to 3 hours, so both her and Rebecca were having bad luck. I have to agree with Aaron that finding a single lock among a couple thousand is nothing more than a luck challenge. Rebecca was as whiny to Adam about the locks as Hayden was(maybe not as loud), so I have a hard time believing her patience and focus were the reasons she found the lock. They both knew they had to find the lock first in order to not be eliminated, so I doubt either were very patient, but Rebecca probably was a little more focused. When you find the lock literally at the last possible minute though, and you've been at it for several hours, it's dumb luck. Anyway, my argument was that Aaron and Hayden were far better racers than Adam and Rebecca, they got unlucky with the horrible cab driver, stuck with him longer than they should have, although they had no way of knowing how lost they were, and had a chance to stay in the race with the lock RB, but they didn't have any luck that day.

facethemusic

facethemusic

Posted Mar 30, 2005 @ 11:35 PM

Aaron, that was a great post. I never really thought about it that way, although I knew you two were a very strong team. I was really saddened when you were eliminated because I wanted to see you and Kris & Jon finish 1-2.

Anyway, awesome job sticking up for your girl. I need to get me a guy like you. Do you have any younger brothers? Kidding, but in all honesty, Hayden's a lucky chick. Good luck with everything!

Oh, and if you two end up doing All Stars(if it happens) make sure Hayden can read maps this time. I wonder if she's still as afraid of heights as before.

Sadly, here, we don't have that lovely poster of Aaron at our McDonald's. Shame shame shame. Aaron, you look good in that poster, btw.

Dezbot

Dezbot

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2005 @ 2:09 AM

Sadly, here, we don't have that lovely poster of Aaron at our McDonald's. Shame shame shame. Aaron, you look good in that poster, btw.

My co-worker and I went into the McDonald's that has Aaron's poster and again I pointed him out to her and again she remarked on how good-looking he is, and again she laughed at me for making a big deal about it. I'm just glad she finds him as good-looking as I do so I'm not the only pathetic one mooning over the poster, hee!

Thanks for your truly thoughtful post, Aaron.

narrativeaddict

narrativeaddict

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 31, 2005 @ 10:09 AM

But people are harder on Hayden because of what you saw on tv.

Some of my favorite moments from TAR 6 are when Hayden talks to the children in Africa. The way she said "Hi, honey" and "Helloo" to the little moppets as she was running to the Roadblock (I think it was the church) was adorable. I remember thinking "This chick is kind of spastic, but she's going to make a great mom." She seemed to genuinely love children.

Congratulations on your impending marriage Aaron! I hope you guys have kids!

Aaron TAR 6

Aaron TAR 6

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 31, 2005 @ 11:56 AM

Hey everyone, thanks for all of your comments good or bad. And Narrativeaddict, you're right on with Hayden and children. I remember seeing some posts saying Hayden is going to make a terrible mother b/c she can't handle stress which made me laugh out loud. Hayden adores kids. She is one of those people that always has to go over to the baby in a room just so she can play with him/her. She also has a little nephew who is going to be 2 in July and has about 5 pictures of him in her wallet and a shrine to him on our fridge.

Regarding Ethiopia, that's where I finally felt you could see who Hayden is the majority of the time. That's how she is with strangers (minus China, but that cab driver got us lost for nearly 2 hours and the people at Mt. Hua were standing around pointing and laughing at us for about 45 minutes before we finally figured out what type of ticket we had to buy to get up the mountain). She's caring with children, her friends, and family. She was very moved my our experiences in Ethiopia and that was her favorite place out of all the locations we went.

Just one last comment regarding Hayden and how I think she'll be as a mom. I don't know if any of you saw the insider video when we were in Nice heading to Ethiopia, but Hayden was crying saying how much she missed her family and Suki. Suki is her 2 year old black shar-pei who Hayden treats as if she's a person. She was seriously home sick about the dog on the race (which drove me crazy at times) and does everything for her dog. If she's that way with her animal, I can only imagine how she'll be with her own kids.

Oh and I'm glad you're all enjoying my fish fillet poster! Ha, ha. I shot that about a year ago and it used to be a billboard and they made it into a poster now.

lucinator

lucinator

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2005 @ 12:42 PM

Aaron, I think you'll be a great dad. When your kids are little, they'll think you're the coolest dad in the world. In their teens, they'll be embarrassed and roll their eyes when you do something goofy. When they're adults, they'll think you're cool again.

I think the McDonald's ads are ironic since you want to go to culinary school. Maybe you could develop a gourmet version for them. BTW, are you going to the culinary school in Pasadena? An acquaintance of mine is starting there this fall.