Mike & Mike in The Morning

• Please log in to reply

435 replies to this topic

Chitwood

Chitwood

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 4, 2005 @ 9:20 AM

Thank dog this week is over, back to the radio show on ESPNews, though I hope they get back to covering sports instead of themselves and their staff. I appreciate the "getting to know us" schtick, but sometimes it's a bit muhc. I read that Mike&Mike are going to be doing a cooking show too, in case anyone's REALLY going through withdrawal.

MattIowa1

MattIowa1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 6, 2005 @ 10:58 PM

Yep. We get Mike and Mike back on ESPNews tomorrow. Sounds like we'll only be hearing Golic as opposed to seeing him, as he'll be in Hawaii for that one last final last game, whatever they call it...

peejer

peejer

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 13, 2005 @ 9:45 PM

Huh? This show is horrible. Unlistenable. "Greenie" might be passable with someone else, but Golic is a big nothing. No insight, no humor, pathetic as an interviewer. He once went on and on about his kids playing football and knocking his wife down. I was able to get to the radio and turn it off, before the urge to pull out chunks of my own skin became overwhelming.

"Stink" makes Golic look like a genius.

Chitwood

Chitwood

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 22, 2005 @ 1:19 PM

The guy filling in, Eric, is not bad. He gets under Golic's skin more than Greenie, which is fun, and he has that rich, useless look about him. It's like Greenberg didn't even leave. That can't be good for his business.

Da23rdBuchan

Da23rdBuchan

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2005 @ 1:42 PM

Greenie need not worry Eric (Kulieas) has his own gig on ESPNradio. His show is called Sport Bash (formerly Sports Brothers) and runs at 3 PM ET.

Edited by Da23rdBuchan, Feb 22, 2005 @ 1:49 PM.

tjsmom

tjsmom

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 25, 2005 @ 10:28 PM

Ugh, I hate Eric. He comes across as so smug, that whenever he's on I avoid this show.

MattIowa1

MattIowa1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 12, 2005 @ 12:18 AM

Just wanted to write and say that I was able to catch Mike and Mike do their little cameos on Tilt Thursday night. Pretty good for only being on for about thirty seconds each.

Nice shirt that Greenie had on. :)

Edited so I don't post twice:
Golic's not in on Thursday. His replacement? The one...the only...DANA JACOBSON!!

That's more than enough reason to watch and hear the show tomorrow!

So either Cold Pizza's been pre-empted by Wimbeldon or they've completely given up on it.

Edited by MattIowa1, Jun 29, 2005 @ 11:25 PM.

Da23rdBuchan

Da23rdBuchan

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2005 @ 9:36 AM

Anyone catch Friday's broadcast? If so, who did they get to sponsor Stink?

tjsmom

tjsmom

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 27, 2005 @ 6:37 PM

His sponsor was something like, Scrote bug spray...when it comes to bugs, don't just spray 'em, Scrote 'em! (I think this came from Joaquin)

MattIowa1

MattIowa1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 2, 2006 @ 12:28 AM

Bumping up this thread to remind those that watch the show that it begins its run on ESPN2 this week. Make your adjustments accordingly.

Daisy12

Daisy12

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 2, 2006 @ 4:47 PM

Could not be happier to see these guys on ESPN2. Much better than Cold Pizza... funny, informative, no gimmicks... love it.

Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2006 @ 12:13 PM

Could not be happier to see these guys on ESPN2. Much better than Cold Pizza... funny, informative, no gimmicks... love it.

To be fair, the spelling bee that ESPN2 reaired last time was more entertaining than Cold Pizza, so I don't know if that means anything.

On the few occasions I've watched this show, they have always been talking about football. Do they cover the other sports just as well?

Daisy12

Daisy12

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 3, 2006 @ 11:29 PM

They do cover other sports.. but you are right, Storm Shadow. They seem to be heavy on football. I guess that is because of the season and Golic's former profession. But they do well in baseball season. And NBA, too. they tend to really focus on whichever sport is in season, in it's most crucial time.

I like them. These two seem to have a good back-and-forth. Is it just me? They seem to have a chemistry that Cold Pizza lacks. I believe these guys like each other, are who they are on radio/ tv as they are off the set. Don't get that from the Cold Pizza folks.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2006 @ 12:05 AM

I have heard these guys on radio before, but not on a regular basis. After watching today's show, my heart goes out to Golic's son. Having your father tell a national audience that you smashed your d*ck while lifting weights has got to be one of the most embarrasing things that one can experience.

cabiness

cabiness

Posted Aug 4, 2006 @ 11:36 AM

I am new to these forums but a long-time listener/watcher of M & M, since 2000. They combine great sports insight along wtih a lot of humor, by far my favorite sports talk show of all time.

Also, for someone in the Midwest, they are especially refreshing since they both have Midwestern ties, as opposed to the rest of ESPN, which can't seem to find their way beyond Boston and New York.

Brent Danzig

Brent Danzig

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 17, 2006 @ 7:32 AM

Here's my deal: I'm a 35-year-old stereotypical gay man, I know close to absolutely nothing about sports whatsoever, and I'm absolutely devoted to Mike & Mike in the Morning. I love this show. Reason: I luuuuuuuuuuuv Greenie. I think he is the hands-down best-looking man on TV, period, and I would gay marry him at the drop of a hat. He is absolutely dreamy.

And thank goodness that Greenberg is so hot, because otherwise the show is such a poorly produced piece of crap. Scripted to within an inch of its life, choked with boring bits (memo to Golic: the thing with turning out the studio lights and tossing around a siren at the top of the hour is...uhm...pointless?), clogged with washed-up blowhards (I'm talking to YOU, Dick Vitale, you tiresome fart), and with just way too much emphasis on the NFL, the show by its merits should have expired long ago. And yet, I still watch a couple hours of it almost every morning. Greenie is my fantasy husband and Golic is my fantasy uncle: loud, brash, funny, smarter than he lets on. The show rides on those two awesome personalities. Maybe someday they'll both get the producer, and the show, they deserve.

Oh, and the whole "Man Up" schtick? Has perversely inspired me. Whatever Golic advises, I incorporate the opposite strategy into my life. For example, I now drink nothing but chablis on the rocks when playing poker. I love it. And I love this show.

Edited by Brent Danzig, Sep 17, 2006 @ 8:20 AM.

Maddog Hoek

Maddog Hoek

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 10, 2006 @ 9:25 AM

clogged with washed-up blowhards (I'm talking to YOU, Dick Vitale, you tiresome fart),

Tiresome fart, decrepit has-been, etc.... Most of the other guests are ok with me. I liked it last Friday when Golic was mad at Greenie because he was taking wearing the leprechaun to well. I also can't get the song Little Greenie out of my head.

Sexylibrarian

Sexylibrarian

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2006 @ 10:39 AM

I can't wait to see what type of wager these two make for next year's tournament. Greenie has lost two years in a row so I'm hoping the Green man beats the big guy for a change.

rekkidbraka

rekkidbraka

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 31, 2006 @ 8:58 PM

Greenie as Mustard. Golic as Ketchup. Hee. Oh, ha ha ha... Yeeeeeeah.

snaggle

snaggle

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2006 @ 6:37 PM

Did anybody notice that on today's show somebody either Greenie or whoever does the graphics got the "Just Shut Up Award" results wrong. Greenie said the winner was Sheffield, and 2nd place was Bradshaw, but the T.V. screen showed the exact opposite, Bradshaw won & Sheffield was 2nd.

seneca724

seneca724

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2006 @ 12:21 PM

I saw Greenie last night on Letterman, and oh man, he is one good looking dude. For some reason I imagined all radio personalities were trolls, except, of course, for dreamy Dan Patrick of the pompadour.

Zoned Out

Zoned Out

Stalker

Posted Nov 10, 2006 @ 5:10 PM

I've just recently really gotten into this show. I used to leave SportsCenter on in the morning while I was getting ready for work, but somehow I discovered Mike & Mike one channel over and I'm hooked. It's much more entertaining than SportsCenter and they talk about interesting issues that crop up rather than the inane things SC says about whatever. And because of the way radio works there aren't as many commercial breaks, it's more one longer period in between commercial breaks every half hour or so and I much prefer that.

cheesesteak

cheesesteak

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2006 @ 4:32 PM

I still like this show after watching it every morning for the last two years or so. I can't get through more than 15 minutes of the local sports talk morning radio show without wanting to commit murder but could have M&MITM on for the four full hours if I didn't have to leave for work. I like their chemistry. Neither one take himself too seriously. They have Wilbon/Kornheiser-like chemistry.

cabiness2

cabiness2

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 13, 2006 @ 5:13 PM

They have Wilbon/Kornheiser-like chemistry.

Given the amount of time both shows have been on, I'd say that Wilbon and Kornheiser have Mike/Mike-like chemistry.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2006 @ 8:45 PM

Given the amount of time both shows have been on, I'd say that Wilbon and Kornheiser have Mike/Mike-like chemistry.

If that's based on the fact that Mike/Mike have been teamed up on ESPN longer, I'd disagree. Wilbon and Kornheiser have been working together (albeit as friends and coworkers at the Post) for longer. I remember hearing Michael regularly calling up Tony on his DC radio show to yell at him in the mid nineties.

cabiness2

cabiness2

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 13, 2006 @ 9:18 PM

A few minutes a week or even a day, on an old radio show don't amount to 4 hours a day for 7 years.

Mike & Mike have mastered the bit, and Mike/Tony, Woody/Skip, and the ATH gang have all borrowed from them.

DaBigDave

DaBigDave

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2006 @ 9:19 AM

A few minutes a week or even a day, on an old radio show don't amount to 4 hours a day for 7 years.

?? TK and Wilbon have been working together for twenty years. They got PTI specifically based upon over a decade's worth of daily arguments in the Post's newsroom.

Mike & Mike have a good bit going. TK and Wilbon work together well - but really, neither set has to do with the other. M&M is two guys doing shtick - both are playing charicatures of themselves. Kornheiser and Wilbon aren't really doing an act -- that's who they've been for twenty years.

Mamalita

Mamalita

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2006 @ 5:25 PM

?? TK and Wilbon have been working together for twenty years. They got PTI specifically based upon over a decade's worth of daily arguments in the Post's newsroom.

And Wilbon was a frequent guest on Tony's radio show, the first version of which began in 1992. I like Mike & Mike, but come on now....

Edited by Mamalita, Nov 14, 2006 @ 5:25 PM.

Ammy

Ammy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 16, 2006 @ 1:02 PM

With all the talking the Mikes did about Emmitt's win on Dancing With the Stars, I think it's time one or both sign up for the next season. Golic could show off his lighter figure and I'm sure Greeney would enjoy the costumes.

keg411

keg411

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2006 @ 3:38 PM

With all the talking the Mikes did about Emmitt's win on Dancing With the Stars, I think it's time one or both sign up for the next season. Golic could show off his lighter figure and I'm sure Greeney would enjoy the costumes.

As much as I'd like to see this, I doubt it will happen. I'm pretty sure Mike & Mike is filmed in Bristol and "Dancing with the Stars" is on the West Coast -- and I don't see Golic and Greenie doing all that travelling -- which is too bad because I think it would be hilarious.