Mike & Mike in The Morning

• Please log in to reply

428 replies to this topic

cheesesteak

cheesesteak

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2004 @ 8:08 AM

Am I the only who watches this show in the morning? I can't take my local sports talk radio station morning show anymore. I get my morning sports fix from this show now. Mike Golic and Mike Greenberg are ok in my book. Not great but better than tolerable.

indybear

indybear

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2004 @ 9:33 AM

I enjoy Mike & Mike. There's a good cast of supporting characters, too.

jediknight

jediknight

Stalker

Posted Nov 4, 2004 @ 3:22 PM

I like Mike and Mike also. It's good to have on while getting ready for work.

I can't believe Greeny didn't know where Ohio was.

Da23rdBuchan

Da23rdBuchan

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 5, 2004 @ 9:48 AM

I'm not a big fan. They are better than AM TV (and infinitely more amusing than Cold Pizza) and now that Tony Bruno has been bounced from Fox Sports Radio they tend to be the best bet for the drive to work (when I'm not in the mood for NPR - like this week when a move to Canada was seriously debated in my household - j/k Pres. Bush) but there's just a touch too much cutsey schtik for me to watch/listen to them 5 times a week. Their whole Smarty Jones, Roy Jones Jr. skit made my eyes bleed on the other hand Just Shut Up! is comedy gold and ranks right up with Toss Up! in my favorite sport skits.

tjsmom

tjsmom

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 5, 2004 @ 6:41 PM

I like them also, I think they have good chemistry together.

There've been times where I repeat stories they've told, that had me rolling on the floor...Golic especially is a great storyteller. And Bob is a walking sports encyclopedia.

But yes, it is way past time to retire the Smarty Jones bit.

upj

upj

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 5, 2004 @ 6:56 PM

Ugh. I think their show is übercheesy and it is brutal that their show takes the place of ESPNews in the morning. It forces me to watch SportsCenter in the morning. The Budweiser hotseat & all that other junk is making me dumber.

The radio show that ESPN SHOULD have televised was the brilliant Tony Kornheiser show.

Da23rdBuchan

Da23rdBuchan

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2004 @ 11:56 AM

The radio show that ESPN SHOULD have televised was the brilliant Tony Kornheiser show

Which, according to the Washington heads in the PTI thread, is coming back on the air on Wed.

cheesesteak

cheesesteak

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2004 @ 4:48 PM

The radio show that ESPN SHOULD have televised was the brilliant Tony Kornheiser show.

I don't think Tony K. would be too enthusiastic about a 6am show.

I must be a masochist or insane because I usually stick around to listen to Dick Vitale's Monday morning segment. I don't know why. I think he's the phoniest phony in the world and I don't agree with him on most things.

jediknight

jediknight

Stalker

Posted Nov 9, 2004 @ 3:45 PM

They had me in tears this morning. The whole what if Mike and Mike were the announcers for the Cubs, was hilarious. I lost it when Golic was screaming, "GO! GO!".

The Harry Carey stuff was funny, cause it was true.

Edited by jediknight, Nov 9, 2004 @ 3:45 PM.

cheesesteak

cheesesteak

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2004 @ 8:27 AM

Did anyone catch the Tony Dungy interview this morning? I left the house before he came on. Dungy really pissed me off yesterday in his quotes about it being racially insensitive and insulting for T.O. to have participated in the MNF promo and how, as a black man, he was offended. Well, I'm a black man, too and I'm offended that Dungy's so fucking uptight that he can't take his ultra religious fucking head out of the fucking sand and have a little fucking fun. I hope it's the Eagles and Patriots in the Super Bowl and Owens scores three touchdowns and spikes the ball off Dungy's pinhead.

Da23rdBuchan

Da23rdBuchan

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 18, 2004 @ 9:03 AM

Well, I'm a black man, too and I'm offended that Dungy's so fucking uptight that he can't take his ultra religious fucking head out of the fucking sand and have a little fucking fun.

Cheesesteak, I had the exact same reaction to Dungy's comments yesterday. I missed Dungy on Mike and Mike this morning although they say that they are about to replay them but I'm surprised we are still hearing about this. I thought the skit was dumb and not football related but at the end of the day it was no worse than having Dennis Miller in the booth 3 yrs ago.

eta Dungy brought up that what a 49 yo man would realize that the skit didn't represent real life a child might not realize the same thing. And when a child watching that skit would have to have AIDS, rape, and responsibility to other teamates (i.e. why is TO still in the locker room with this woman and not on the field with his team) explained to them.

Then he went on to say that the skit reinforced stereotypes that exist about black men and athletes in general regarding their sexual appetites. He argued that TO had a responsibility to realize that and should have declined to be in the skit.

He felt if ABC wanted to promote their show they should have used their talent (Al Michaels and/or Madden -- and that would have been hillarious actually IMHO) and he felt as if the players/NFL were being taken advantage of.

I hope Indy and Philly play this season... TO will be ready to go off.

Edited by Da23rdBuchan, Nov 18, 2004 @ 9:47 AM.

cheesesteak

cheesesteak

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2004 @ 9:22 AM

How the heck can this show not be on on a Monday during NFL season... And we find out the Karl Malone made a pass at Mrs. Kobe... And Notre Dame hired Charlie Weis... And Ty Willingham is hired by Washington... And Eli Manning looked like crap again... How?

Edited by cheesesteak, Dec 13, 2004 @ 10:26 AM.

Gimme Stitches

Gimme Stitches

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 13, 2004 @ 5:51 PM

Yeah, that's odd. I would have been pissed if I had remembered to tape it(not a morning person).

I love Golic. He always seems to make sense to me.

lambertman

lambertman

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 13, 2004 @ 6:46 PM

They didn't simulcast on ESPNews today because they were doing the show on location. Too bad, though; even an audio-only feed would have been better than rerunning the overnight show eight more times.

MattIowa1

MattIowa1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 14, 2004 @ 8:54 PM

You know, other radio-on-TV shows like Mike & The Mad Dog can bring their cameras on location when they're outside the studio. You'd think that the huge conglomorate that is ESPN would be able to bring cameras along when Mike and Mike are traveling the country.

GoingGonzo

GoingGonzo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 18, 2004 @ 2:42 AM

I love Mike & Mike in the AM!

Especially since ESPN News just runs the same half hour overnight segment ALL DAY- Mike & Mike actually provide entertaining and current information in the morning.

I wish ESPN News would extend the concept with more of their ESPN radio shows- even the Herd show- if necessary...

lambertman

lambertman

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 29, 2004 @ 8:14 AM

You know, each hour has about 20 minutes of commercials; you'd think Salisbury could hold off on stuffing his face until he's off-camera. Heck, if *Golic* can...

Tlg2579

Tlg2579

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 30, 2004 @ 11:09 AM

Salisbury blows. I am boycotting until Mike and Mike are back. He has no concept of how to keep the show ON TOPIC. The other day, Eric was talking about whether Reggie White was thought of as an Eagle or a Packer. He was saying if football players were inducted into the HoF with helmets, and unlike baseball, were allowed to choose, what would Reggie have chosen? Stupid-ass Salisbury started talking about how he thought it sucked that baseball players couldn't chose. I don't care, dude. Not even close to the topic, or even a natural progression.

HATE.

DaBigDave

DaBigDave

Fanatic

Posted Dec 30, 2004 @ 12:56 PM

Stupid-ass Salisbury started talking about how he thought it sucked that baseball players couldn't chose.

Baseball players can't choose? I'm fairly sure they can - which is why Gaylord Perry has all the teams names on his hat, and why Reggie Jackson went in as a Yankee - not an A. Or why Wade Boggs will go in as Devil Ray.

tgrfan23

tgrfan23

Fanatic

Posted Dec 30, 2004 @ 1:00 PM

Baseball players can't choose? I'm fairly sure they can - which is why Gaylord Perry has all the teams names on his hat, and why Reggie Jackson went in as a Yankee - not an A. Or why Wade Boggs will go in as Devil Ray.

Not anymore, no. That rule was changed about four or five years ago, and I do believe that it will apply to Boggs for his induction.

GoingGonzo

GoingGonzo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 30, 2004 @ 6:57 PM

Oficially- a ballplayer make now make a request as to which cap is depicted on his plaque- but it is not the outright right it used to be in years past.

For example- Gary Carter was inducted as a Montreal Expo- but it was his preference to go in as a New York Met. Gary's reasoning was that he won his World Series ring as a Met, and that the Mets were not an organization in danger of folding or relocating (as the Expos have now done)

However- the H O F wanted their Expo, and got one in Carter. Of course, Gary was just glad to get into the H O F.

When Rocket retires, it'll be a different story. Power talks, especially when you have 300 wins and seven Cy's.

Edited by GoingGonzo, Dec 30, 2004 @ 7:00 PM.

Da23rdBuchan

Da23rdBuchan

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2005 @ 9:07 AM

The Gospel themed celebration of the (say it with me) J-E-T-S victory was outstanding. Watching Greenie clap along to the beat was inspiring.

ersatzreality

ersatzreality

Stalker

Posted Jan 12, 2005 @ 6:19 PM

Late, but here is a story about Boggs ending up with a Red Sox cap.

Chitwood

Chitwood

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 22, 2005 @ 6:38 PM

I enjoy these guys mostly because there's not much competition in the a.m. and I really don't have a rooting interest in any team, but I really hope that the Pittsburgh Steelers lose on Sunday so Greenberg can stop reminding everyone how popular they are there. I'm not sure that's much of an accomplishment anyway. It's as if they've totally forgotten that there's an NFC game. I think ESPN owns the Pittsburgh station, which explains a lot, but that can't justify ignoring Philly and Atlanta as much as they have.

Midnight Stroll

Midnight Stroll

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 22, 2005 @ 8:59 PM

I enjoy these guys mostly because there's not much competition in the a.m. and I really don't have a rooting interest in any team, but I really hope that the Pittsburgh Steelers lose on Sunday so Greenberg can stop reminding everyone how popular they are there. I'm not sure that's much of an accomplishment anyway. It's as if they've totally forgotten that there's an NFC game. I think ESPN owns the Pittsburgh station, which explains a lot, but that can't justify ignoring Philly and Atlanta as much as they have.

I only catch an hour of their show since Tony Kornheiser's local radio show in D.C. preempts it at 9am EST. But in regards to all the AFC (and Pittsburgh) love, the AFC was the bigger story with better teams. Plus, it's not like Atlanta has a real strong fan base in comparison to the other three, which gives them less of a reason to talk about the Eagles-Falcons game. There's a reason for the term "Steeler Nation." They have a large following nationwide.

Edited by Midnight Stroll, Jan 25, 2005 @ 11:08 AM.

Chitwood

Chitwood

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 25, 2005 @ 6:59 PM

I know this isn't specific to Mike & Mike, but these next two weeks are going to be terrible to endure. Cheesesteaks, TO, dynasties, geniuses -- that about sums up the stories. The rest of the time will be filled with talk about the Academy Awards, even when both guys admitted they haven't even seen any of the movies, and, probably more so, themselves. I'm not saying it's bad, but maybe this is a chance to focus on sports that don't usually get attention? Tennis, perhaps? Isn't Greenie a player? What about CBB, that's getting interesting? There has to be something sports-related, isn't there?? If people are going to turn off the radio, I'd rather it be because they're not interested in the sport, not because they thought they turned on E!

MattIowa1

MattIowa1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 26, 2005 @ 2:59 AM

I would hope that they will be able to get some other sports in during this week, since you can only do so much talk about how people think the Patriots are the second coming or something. There will be plenty of time to do that next week when they're in Jacksonville.

Speaking of which, prepare for withdrawl next week. If ESPNews follows what it's been doing whenever Mike & Mike are on the road, they won't be on the TV next week. Though I would think for something as big as a Super Bowl broadcast, you can take some cameras down.

As I said before, if YES can do that for Mike & The Mad Dog, ESPN can almost certainly do it for Mike & Mike.

tjsmom

tjsmom

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 27, 2005 @ 8:13 PM

TIVO says the next episode (after tomorrow) isn't until 2/7...so you're right Matt...

I have to say I like that they show the perspective of a player versus a fan, and being a long time Denver Bronco fan I can relate when Greenie talks about preferring losing in a blowout rather than a squeaker. Oh and not going to the Super bowl rather than getting blown out. I guess that makes me a girlie :)

jediknight

jediknight

Stalker

Posted Jan 27, 2005 @ 8:58 PM

We're going to be without Greenie, Golic, and Stink for a week. That sucks. We don't have a full fledged ESPNRadio station here, we've got one that only carries certain things mainly games.

Boo ESPNews, they run the same thing every 30 minutes, why couldn't they just take cameras to Jacksonville and show Mike and Mike, ESPN's already going to be there anyway?

Edited by jediknight, Jan 27, 2005 @ 8:59 PM.

tjsmom

tjsmom

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 28, 2005 @ 7:06 AM

Luckily I just got an internet connection at my desk so I'll be able to hear at work...I mean while I'm working, yeah that's what I meant!