Figure Skating Coverage

• Please log in to reply

6305 replies to this topic

missknowitall

missknowitall

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2004 @ 12:26 AM

ABC seems to have thrown all their coverage to ESPN - I think I heard Terry say that ESPN would be the "new home" of even the Nationals and Worlds.

Nationals will be on ABC but everything else (Grand Prix, Europeans) except for the cheesefests (Marshalls World Cup of Figure Skating in December and Marshall's Figure Skating Challenge in April) will be on ESPN. Which completely sucks for me because I don't have cable. I guess I need to hope for some new melodrama to develop interest again.

ShellsandCheese

ShellsandCheese

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2004 @ 5:03 AM

Figure skating, much like gymnastics has seen better days. It was that damn Soviet sports machine, they knew how to find and cultivate talent. I don't think we'll ever see the likes of Gordeeva/Grinkov or Dimitriev again. And fortunately without the Russians to push them, both Pairs skating and Ice dancing has suffered tremondously.

Edited by ShellsandCheese, Nov 29, 2004 @ 11:20 PM.

AlexDS69

AlexDS69

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 22, 2004 @ 7:42 PM

I hate Terry Gannon. He is so obnoxious and so frickin' annoying.

Anyway, it's interesting that there is more spreading of the wealth in the figure skating world now than in years prior. In addition to the Canadians, Russians, and Americans, you have the Japanese women, the Chinese pairs skaters, France's men and ice dancers, and even relative minnows like Italy, Hungary, Finland, Poland, Ukraine, and Belgium are cranking out world-class skaters, many of whom have the potential to medal at Worlds and Olympics.

sirhcmeister

sirhcmeister

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 24, 2004 @ 1:52 PM

Terry Gannon didn't even commentate Monday Night's coverage of Cup of China on ESPN - instead Paul Page took over. And for those of you who thought Terry was bad....

But don't you fret, looks like Terry will be back for Trophee Eric Bompard (formerly, Lalique). But really, it's not as if the hosts are even at the competition location (Tokyo, Beijing, Paris, etc.) anyway, they're all at the studio in Los Angeles (or wherever).

starwannabe

starwannabe

Fanatic

Posted Nov 24, 2004 @ 5:11 PM

Oy, that Paul Page was getting on my last nerve. Shen and Zow? Zang and Zang? There were a few other non-Chinese names he was screwing up as well. Is it too much to ask that they learn correct pronunciations before they open their mouths?

llnoname

llnoname

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 27, 2004 @ 4:18 AM

oh yes. i thought that was annoying as well. the way paul page kept misspronouncing all the skaters name. why couldnt they just stick to terry gannon? i thought he was finally getting the hang of it. i dont like all this change.

wyndham

wyndham

Fanatic

Posted Nov 29, 2004 @ 11:28 AM

Caught some figure skating yesterday on ESPN. Thought Paul Wylie was doing a very good job for a beginning announcer. He does know what he's talking about and he'll polish up his announcer skills as he goes along.

Shen and Zhao - wow they are terrific! Also interested to see in stats that Emanuel Sandhu is leading in the "technical" points for the series. Love to see that guy skate - he's so incredibly artistic and very nice to look at as well.

Irina Slutskiya (sp?): great to see her make a comeback and do so well.

Skategrrl

Skategrrl

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 29, 2004 @ 9:04 PM

::: me, sobbing with relief :::

Thank God -- Terry is back tonight!

llnoname

llnoname

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 30, 2004 @ 1:27 AM

haha. i am glad he is back too. i heard he had to cover college football last week, so he couldnt cover the grand prix event. but now hes back and pronouncing everyones name correctly. yay.

watcher's pet

watcher's pet

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 30, 2004 @ 12:09 PM

Saw the skating last night, too. (Since they were in Paris, I assume this is the competition formerly known as Trophee Lalique? Why the name change?)

I loved Paul Wylie back in his skating days, so it was good to hear him commentating. Agree with everyone who said that he knows his stuff. He actually broke down elements and explained why Johnny Weir's footwork is more complicated than Brian Joubert's. Uncle Dick (he's pissy, but I love him) does this, too--it was just good to hear someone else do it.

Susie Wynn, on the other hand, sucks ass. I couldn't believe some of her comments. For example, during one of Carolina Kostner's slooooooow spins, Susie explained that the slowness was because Carolina usually spins the other way and she doesn't practice that spin as much. Fine. But then Susie went on to say something to the effect of, "It's like writing with your left hand if you're right handed. Why would you want to practice that if you didn't have to?" WTF? I'll tell you why, Susie! Because you're skating at an ELITE level and should be able to spin! Gah.

Peter Carruther's little piece on horrible skating costumes was pretty funny. Dick's cackling while that one skater's sleeve was caught in his partner's skate was hilarious.

ETA: Because it cannot be said too many times: Julia Sebestyen's costume is terrible. Between the fluorescent orange and fussiness of the design, I felt like I was back in the 80s.

Edited by watcher's pet, Nov 30, 2004 @ 12:16 PM.

Jer2002

Jer2002

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2004 @ 1:40 AM

You know, I love watching figure skating as much as the next fan, but 3 hours of coverage is too damn long. I was half asleep by the time they got to the guys, who are the ones I like the most.

RedSonja

RedSonja

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 2, 2004 @ 3:07 PM

Susie Wynn, on the other hand, sucks ass. I couldn't believe some of her comments. For example, during one of Carolina Kostner's slooooooow spins, Susie explained that the slowness was because Carolina usually spins the other way and she doesn't practice that spin as much. Fine. But then Susie went on to say something to the effect of, "It's like writing with your left hand if you're right handed. Why would you want to practice that if you didn't have to?" WTF? I'll tell you why, Susie! Because you're skating at an ELITE level and should be able to spin! Gah.

Well, in fairness to Carolina, most people don't spin both directions. I can only think of two people off hand who do it really well. Caro just needs more mileage. Her spins her normal way are fine. Spinning really is like handedness-- you only do it one way most of the time.

I was totally amused at Terry's observation on Level 4 in dance: "Everyone else only goes up to Level 3, but the dancers are like Spinal Tap cranking it up to 11." Or something. Kisses, Terry! Never go away again!

ETA: The name changed because Lalique is no longer the sponsor. The actual name of the competition now is Trophee Eric Bompard de Cachemire, I don't know why ESPN insisted on calling it "Grand Prix of Paris" or whatever.

Edited by RedSonja, Dec 2, 2004 @ 3:10 PM.

kiki82

kiki82

Posted Dec 3, 2004 @ 10:15 PM

Anyone watching Ice Wars? I'm home sick and this is the only good thing that is on. I had no clue Kristi Y. had a cute daughter and was married to a hockey player. Hope Team USA wins!

wheelwatcher

wheelwatcher

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 4, 2004 @ 12:47 PM

Yes, watched Ice Wars last night. It was pretty good. Kristi Yamaguchi is and has always been a favorite of mine, so whenever she's one of the featured skaters, it's a treat for me. Too bad Nicole Bobek and Oksana Bauel (sp.) appeared to be on a down cycle, but the other woman skater (her name escapes me at the moment) did a great job.

JDG

JDG

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 5, 2004 @ 5:24 PM

I can't believe I missed Ice Wars! Bad Tivo! I love Kristi Y!

I am now suffering through Holiday on Ice, Las Vegas Style. Nancy Kerrigan did a brief intro, but I haven't recognized a skater yet. And the ice is smaller then the pond I learned to skate on. I think I may need to fast forward - someone is hula hooping on ice {{shudder}}.

Skategrrl

Skategrrl

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 5, 2004 @ 9:13 PM

Eldredge totally rocked in Ice Wars. Glad to see a male skater perform without props!

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Dec 6, 2004 @ 5:56 PM

All I saw was Oksana emoting all over the ice and barely completing a jump (did she land any cleanly?). I hated her as the Ukranian orphan, the drunken screw up, and now as the has-been comeback attempt. Thanks for reminding me why I never watch pro skate events.

va32h

va32h

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2004 @ 5:20 PM

Oksana sounded like the was on something - her comments were just from outer space.

As far as pairs - I think it's no coincidence that China is the new powerhouse nation, they are the only country that still maintains total control of their athletes.

hollyhox

hollyhox

Fanatic

Posted Dec 18, 2004 @ 6:42 PM

Did anyone see the Marshall's World Cup of Skating today? I missed it because I'm an idiot and I forgot it was on. Can anyone tell me who was in it and how they did?

gemini_girl

gemini_girl

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2004 @ 1:11 AM

Did anyone else catch the World Team Figure Skating Challenge?

After the artistic program I think I have a crush on the male Russian pair skater, Anton Sikharulidze.

Edited by gemini_girl, Dec 19, 2004 @ 1:12 AM.

frigideira

frigideira

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 19, 2004 @ 8:11 AM

Re: Marshall's World Cup. Male competitors were Evgeny Plushenko, Johnny Weir, Brian Joubert, and Evan Lysacek. Plushenko won, Lysacek was second,Joubert was third.and Weir was fourth. The women were Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, Irina Slutskaya ,and Jennifer Kirk. Placings were Slutskaya, Kwan, Cohen, Kirk.

Re: World Team Championship. There will be a repeat today December 19, at 5:00 PM ET on Oxygen.

One last note, there will be a repeat of the Cup of Russia on ESPN2 at 1:00 PM ET today.

Edited by frigideira, Dec 19, 2004 @ 8:13 AM.

hollyhox

hollyhox

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2004 @ 3:42 PM

Thanks, Frigideira!

sirhcmeister

sirhcmeister

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 21, 2004 @ 1:40 PM

After the artistic program I think I have a crush on the male Russian pair skater, Anton Sikharulidze.

Only now? heh heh, Where were you during the 1998 and 2002 Olympics?

Anton always seems to be at the bottom of the Russian Male Athlete food chain, for reasons I don't really know.

dcnative

dcnative

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 4, 2005 @ 9:04 AM

Hello, I'm so glad I found this forum. I've been going crazy knowing that someone was talking about figure skating but that I just couldn't find them.

Ice dancing is my favorite part followed by the men, because they are really boosting their artistic skills and are blowing the ladies right off the map these days. As far as the professionals go, Oksana looks terrible, I'm glad to see her getting her piece of the pie though, because she isn't the only terrible skater out there. IMHO Yuka Sato is the best professional female skater, as a single skater and she's really improving as a couple with her husband.

AlexDS69

AlexDS69

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2005 @ 1:39 AM

Yuka Sato is what the skating community terms "a skater's skater". She's everything that you want in a competitive figure skater: great technical ability, beautiful artistry, and total class and dignity.

That was evident in 1994. After placing a strong 5th at the Olympics (from what I heard, she was the only skater to skate a clean free program there), she ended her Olympic-eligible career with a win at the world championships, which were held in Japan. Surya Bonaly, still pissed after losing the Olympic bronze medal to Lu Chen (another great skater), was even more so after placing 2nd to Sato. The bitch refused to attend the medal ceremony, and when she did, she took off her silver medal, which horrified the crowd. Yuka handled the saga with great dignity, and I don't think Surya has ever recovered from that.

Now Surya's a US citizen and based in Las Vegas. I hope we'll get to see her on TV again. Her backflip at the Olympics in 1998 was one of the most awesome things that I've ever seen.

wyndham

wyndham

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2005 @ 2:51 PM

Well I for one hope to never see Surya Bonaly again! She was the clunkiest skater I've ever seen - clomping around on the ice like some 10 year old. And her behavior at the Olympics was appalling - taking off her medal - they should have taken it away from her. She had no class whatsoever and I can't imagine that they'd ever put her in one of those "former skaters" shows.

You want class - watch Scott Hamilton or that female Russian skater whose husband died suddenly (can't remember her name). She returned to the ice as a singles skater and showed great dignity.

Edited to add Kurt Browning to the list of skaters with class.

Edited by wyndham, Jan 10, 2005 @ 3:04 PM.

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2005 @ 5:17 PM

She didn't win an Olympic medal, it was at the world championships when she took off her medal. I'm glad there aren't others like Surya, but when she was a competitive skater, I enjoyed that she was there. Bizarre costumes, giant jumps, wacky mother - it was all entertaining.

sirhcmeister

sirhcmeister

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2005 @ 11:30 AM

Nationals are this weekend.

What crazy things will spew from Dick Button's mouth this year?

Your guess is as good as mine...

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2005 @ 2:39 PM

Wow, I had no idea they were this weekend. Is Michelle competing? What about Johnny Weir? I saw him when he was demoted to Regionals a couple of years ago and think it's cool the way he's risen again. Someone must like him.

sears44

sears44

Posted Jan 11, 2005 @ 9:45 PM

Wow, I had no idea they were this weekend. Is Michelle competing? What about Johnny Weir? I saw him when he was demoted to Regionals a couple of years ago and think it's cool the way he's risen again. Someone must like him.

Yes, Michelle and Sasha are there. Johnny is there as well as Michael Weiss, and Tim Goebel....