Figure Skating Coverage

• Please log in to reply

6305 replies to this topic

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 7:35 PM

I didn't have to work today so I stayed up to watch. I was so thrilled to see D/W take the lead but I got a little slaphappy at 3 am and started amusing myself with thoughts of Scott Moir, backstage, banging his head against the walls shouting "we're artistic!!!"

CassandraRedux

CassandraRedux

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 6:02 AM

And that was the sound of the universe righting itself after the clusterfuck of Worlds. Yay Charlie, Meryl and Dai!

Misty Rose

Misty Rose

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 11:09 AM

And Scott Moir proved how klassy a loser he is when he proclaimed "I hate this event."

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

Scott Moir is such a jerk. He's getting paid a lot of money to compete at this event and that's how he acts, piiful. He has acted like this whole event is just beneath him. If he didn't want to be there then he should have turned it down, I bet Weaver/Poje wouldn't have acted like that. I was trying to figure out why team Canada seemed so down and now I know, it must be hard to be peppy when your team captain is an ass who sucks the fun out of everything.

Edited by WhitneyWhit, Apr 23, 2012 @ 2:20 PM.

Rear Window

Rear Window

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:23 PM

Yay for Dai!! He deserved to win and it was fun to watch everyone cheering him on. He seems like such a great guy and I think it's great that he's got a crush on Meryl.

I really enjoyed WTT. I loved how the skaters watched from the boxes and had so much enthusiasm. France did deserve the team spirit award, but Japan, USA and Italy were fun, too.

Scott Moir can take his giant case of sour suckass (and Patrick Chan's FS outfit) and head to the high hills. I'm so sick of him and his whininess. Did his teammates vote him team captain? Sore loser.

Harry24

Harry24

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 12:19 PM

Yay for Dai!! He deserved to win and it was fun to watch everyone cheering him on. He seems like such a great guy and I think it's great that he's got a crush on Meryl.

It was great to see Dai skate so beautifully and get a well-deserved win.

I loved the Japanese team all doing his ending pose en masse. So cute.

Where did you hear him say he has a crush on MD, Rear Window?

CassandraRedux

CassandraRedux

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

He said in an interview he wanted to improve his English so he could chat better with fellow skaters. When asked about which skater he was especially eager to chat with, he mentioned Meryl. He has also cited her (and Charlie) several times in the past when asked who his favorite skaters are.

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 4:31 PM

There was also an interview in Japan where he was asked his ideal girl. His answer? Meryl Davis.

GKelly

GKelly

Video Archivist

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 3:57 PM

Dropping by late to this thread after Worlds.

Miss Roxy had asked:

I've only been following skating for a few years, so maybe some of you long-time fans can help me out. Can anyone remember a time when someone won a world championship while making as many mistakes as Chan did?

Offhand, Yagudin in 2000 and Lambiel in 2005 come to mind.

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 5:37 PM

Grand Prix assignments have been announced..

soymilk

soymilk

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 8:33 AM

Wow, seems like nobody decided to retire. Plus, Weir is back!

big chicken

big chicken

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 11:35 AM

Alyssa has a torn labrum which is the same injury which took out Tara Lipinski and Michelle Kwan. I think it's just a matter of time before Alyssa retires. She was never as consistent on the jumps as the other two were and I don't know if she has enough time to rehab before the Olympics.

Rear Window

Rear Window

Video Archivist

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 8:42 PM

Wow, seems like nobody decided to retire.

I wish Rachael Flatt had. And I don't see Alissa making a comeback.

ChicksDigScars

ChicksDigScars

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 12:29 PM

Okay, so there is something that bothers me a bit about the whole Davis/White and Virtue/Moir training partners situation. Davis and White and Virtue and Moir exist in the same training center, with the same coaches. How can Meryl and Charlie train with the same team that they may feel that they should have beaten at Worlds, and not feel resentment, or feel that perhaps, they other team is being favored with better choreography and coaching? For instance, if one team feels that they were slighted at a major competition, their coaches are not going to speak up for them, or politic in their favor like so many other coaches do, because in doing so, will be tarnishing the victory of the other team, who they also coach. Am I making sense? I just don't get how it works....especially considering how much of a pissy, spoiled, bitch Scott Moir is proving himself to be.

I don't feel the same applies to the Shibs, however. They are not quite up to D&W and V&M. Their skill and styles are so different from the other two pairs.

I wish Rachael Flatt had. And I don't see Alissa making a comeback.

If the USFSA had balls anymore, they'd pull a Chelsie Memmel on them both. Yes, I know that's cold, but you can't deny the results at World's. Too many meltdowns.

Edited by ChicksDigScars, Jun 1, 2012 @ 8:40 PM.

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 8:16 PM

Igor Shpilband Fired!

Apparently the skaters refused to come back unless he was gone!!

Rear Window

Rear Window

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 9:45 PM

Holy shiz!!! I can't wait to hear the whole story. It seems there's more to it than lack of coaching. It's come out that D/W and the Shibs will stay with Zoueva but it will be interesting to see who Igor ends up with. Great to have some juicy news for the off season!!

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 9:05 AM

What's a Chelsie Memmel? And yes, Czisny & Flatt need to retire and let us focus on Wagner & Gold. We need those three spots back for Sochi!

Crazy about Igor Shpilband! There's got to be more to that story... Especially since I agree with the previous poster about how uncomfortable it now seems to have Virtue/Moir and Davis/White with the same coaches... at least when it was both Zoueva & Shpilband, there was more opportunity for them to have different feedback, a different coach traveling with them & and sitting with them in the kiss & cry. Now both teams will be just with Zoueva?

Looking forward to Weir's comeback. I don't think he can medal internationally, but the U.S. men are certainly weak enough for him to dust off an old performance, downgrade a few jumps and still come out on top.

SophiaD

SophiaD

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 11:01 PM

Chellsie Memmel was a member of the American women's gymnastic team and was World Champion back in 2005. She has been fighting injury over the last few years, failed to qualify for Nationals, but her petition to compete anyway was denied - so, effectively, her National Team Career is over.

GKelly

GKelly

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 4:22 PM

I don't know how gymnastics works, but the rules about competing at Nationals in figure skating are pretty clear. If you finished top 5 at Nationals in seniors last year, you automatically get a bye to the next Nationals. If you place top 4 at a sectional competition, you automatically qualify.

Then there are also byes for international competitions that conflict with the regional and sectional qualifying competitions in October and November.

There are no more injury byes, so petitioning would not be an option.

So Flatt (6th at 2012 Nationals) would need to compete either at her regionals and sectionals or else at international competitions that conflict with those events. Czisny (2nd at 2012 Nationals) is already guaranteed a spot at 2013 Nationals.

To get assigned to 2013 Worlds, they'll have to finish in the top 2 at Nationals. If other skaters are really that much better, they won't.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 9:28 AM

I'd like US Figure Skating to consider sending skaters to Worlds/Olympics based on more than just Nationals rank - they also need to do well internationally. It's one thing to do well at just one competition, in front of the home crowd. You have to be able to handle the pressure of traveling and then competing against the world's top skaters. (Yes, I'm still bitter about Czisny's inability to medal at Worlds, and that we didn't send Johnny Weir to 2009 Worlds or Ashley Wagner to 2010 Olympics - death stares all around!) Other countries are already doing it this way, why not America?

Edited by NicoleMN6, Jun 14, 2012 @ 9:34 AM.

big chicken

big chicken

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2012 @ 11:20 AM

From what I've heard, the skaters are fine with placement at Nationals being the criteria for World team selection. It's simple and clear to them what they need to do in order to get to Worlds. They really don't like the idea of a selection committee.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Jun 18, 2012 @ 5:27 PM

Perhaps the skater who comes in first at Nationals could be sent, but then the second (and third, when applicable) skater could be more of a selection committee process. There could be a point system, based on how the skaters have done internationally as well (Grand Prix, Four Continents) that comes into play, on top of Nationals results. I believe that's what Canada did this year, with its ladies -- it was up to Four Continents whether they would send LaCoste or Phaneuf to Worlds.

It's worth considering, given the state of US men's and women's figure skating. We seem to have an issue with skaters doing well domestically who can't cut it internationally. And we could use more thought and consistency in who gets sent to Worlds, so that we can build up to three spots again for Sochi.

GKelly

GKelly

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 19, 2012 @ 8:58 AM

The current rules about the world team selection say:

World Championships:
The U.S. World Team shall be selected from those athletes who are ISU senior
age eligible and shall include the current U.S. champion in each discipline. The
remaining selections shall be based upon the results of the two most recent U.S.
Figure Skating Championships, the most recent World Championship, the most
recent Four Continents Championship and all other international events; however,
the International Committee may consider extenuating circumstances.

Note that the selections are usually made immediately after Nationals is concluded, so that year's Four Continents would not have taken place yet; "the most recent Four Continents Championship" would be the one from the previous season and therefore wouldn't carry much weight.

The U.S. has never said after Nationals that they wouldn't decide the world team until after a later event that takes place after Nationals -- they want to name the team as soon as Nationals is over. Nor have they ever pulled a skater off the team after having been named. Introducing such a precedent would open a whole big can of worms that would probably make things murkier and less fair, so why start?

But we saw from what happened with fining Rachael Flatt last year that they do want to know about injuries as soon as possible after the skater knows.

There's no formal point system for how much each of those competitions that's considered is worth. Not all skaters have equal access to those other international events and access would have been determined by how they did at last year's Nationals or even the year before. The strengths of field at different Grand Prix events are often not comparable, and they're judged by different panels. So it really wouldn't be fair to say, for example, that qualifying for the Grand Prix Final plus 4th at Nationals trumps not competing on the Grand Prix and placing 2nd at Nationals.

Japan has run into trouble with assigning certain numbers of points to international events such that certain skaters were guaranteed spots for Olympics or Worlds before their Nationals took place and then that skater didn't always place well at Nationals . . . or at Olympics or Worlds. So that's not necessarily a model we want to encourage the US to follow.

Mostly, I think, the discretion is written into the rules to allow naming someone to the world team who couldn't compete at Nationals from some reason that would be resolved in time for Worlds and who was already a proven world medal contender, e.g., a reigning world medalist. There are very few other situations in which they have ever departed from the Nationals results and those have always been controversial.

Whatever method of selection is used, sometimes a skater will do less well than expected or hoped, less well than they did at Nationals. And sometimes a skater doesn't do well at Nationals who had been doing well at internationals before, or will do well enough at a post-Nationals event (4Cs or Jr Worlds) to suggest they might do better at Worlds than a skater who beat them at Nationals.

But there's no single selection system that will always produce the best results at Worlds. So it makes sense to keep the selection system as straightforward as possible and not based on backroom negotiations and personal opinions of the committee members or worse.

yellowcat

yellowcat

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 19, 2012 @ 10:12 AM

Yes, I'm still bitter about Czisny's inability to medal at Worlds, and that we didn't send Johnny Weir to 2009 Worlds or Ashley Wagner to 2010 Olympics - death stares all around!)

Who would you have replaced with Weir, Lysacek or Mroz? I don't see how Wagner would have done any better than Nagasu at the Olympics and they had to send Flatt who won nationals (thanks to Nagasu's underrotated jumps).

Good Queen Jane

Good Queen Jane

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 7:59 AM

The ISU has issued its report on the decisions of the Council regarding Championships. This summarizes those decisions.

1. The ISU will continue to use placements at last year's World to determine the number of entries by country into this year's Worlds. A country may continue to send three entries if the top two skaters from that country have a combined total placement of 13 or less, and send two entries if the top two skaters have a combined total placement of 28 or less. In other words, the criteria for the number of entries remain unchanged (Israel had introduced a motion that each country be limited to no more than two entries in each discipline at Worlds.)

2. The qualifying round has been eliminated at Worlds.

3. The minimum technical scores in the Short and Free Skate which a skater (or team) must achieve in order to qualify to compete at Worlds has been raised significantly. A skater must achieve the minimum technical score in each segment, but the score in each segment can be reached at a different competition. In other words, a skater could achieve the minimum technical score for the short program at one competition, and if skater crashes and burns during the free skate, the skater still can get a minimum technical score for the free skate in another competition. The ISU reserved the right to adjust the minimum technical scores upward or downward in order to manage the number of entries into Worlds.

The new minimum technical scores to qualify for Worlds are:

SHORT PROGRAM / FREE SKATE

Men 35.00 / 65.00

Ladies 28.00 / 48.00

Pairs 28.00 / 45.00

Dance 29.00 / 39.00

To put the new minimum technical scores into perspective, Jeremy Abbott's technical scores at the last Worlds were 34.64 for the Short and 68.78 for the Free Skate. In addition, all the Men who did not make it out of the Qualifying Round and those who placed 21-30 at Worlds in France would not have qualified for Worlds, using their scores at 2012 Worlds as a criteria.

The ISU is making it really tough to qualify to compete at Worlds. Only the best skaters are going to make the grade, and skaters will have to do their best "tricks" at a Grand Prix event or similar competition in order to qualify for Worlds. Worlds no longer is going to be an event at which a skater will have the opportunity to get some international experience or have a chance to just wave the flag for their home country.

4. There will now be minimum technical scores in the Short and Free Skate in order for a skater (or team) to qualify for Junior Worlds. Previously, skaters did not have to have a qualifying score to compete at Junior Worlds.

All of these changes will go into effect immediately.

soymilk

soymilk

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 8:17 AM

Interesting. Can a country's national championships count as a qualifying event at which a skater could reach the minimum technical scores? I'm assuming not.

Good Queen Jane

Good Queen Jane

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 8:54 AM

No, it has to be a ISU sponsored event. A country's National is sponsored by that country's federation with that country's judges, who are not necessarily certified for international judging. Too much of a chance for scoring shenanigans.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 11:00 AM

Does that mean you can only go to Worlds if you've already scored highly enough at the Grand Prix or Four Continents, even if you win your country's Nationals? What other ISU-sponsored events would qualify?

Edited by NicoleMN6, Jun 28, 2012 @ 11:04 AM.

Good Queen Jane

Good Queen Jane

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 12:32 PM

Yes, you will have to have scored the minimum to go to Worlds even if you win your country's national. It's like what is happening now at the US Track & Field Olympic Trials. Some of the athletes who placed in the top three at the Trials can't go to the Olympics because they didn't meet the standards set by their international body. They were replaced on the Olympic team by a runner up who did or, in one event, only one American is going when there could have been three because only one had the minimum score.

The ISU has a number of second tier competitions, such as the Nebelhorn, the Golden Spin of Zagreb, Finlandia, and some others that don't get much publicity. This also means that the top skaters will be less likely to skip the Grand Prix events, which is also a place to get qualifying points.

Basically, this is a cost cutting move by the ISU. It pays for rooms and food for all competitors and chaperones who come to Worlds. Last year they told all competitors that didn't make it out of the qualifying round that they had 24 hours to either vacate their hotel rooms or start paying for it themselves. Eliminating the qualifying round will take two days off the competition. Plus it makes sure that all the skaters are top notch. At the LA Worlds there were a number of lady skaters who could barely do single jumps, much less triple and half the men skaters couldn't do a triple axel. And some of the pair skaters looked like they needed to have the EMTs on stand -by during their lifts.

Edited by Good Queen Jane, Jun 28, 2012 @ 12:47 PM.

LilibetP

LilibetP

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 1:33 PM

Which means that a lot of countries won't be able to go to the Worlds anymore.