Nielsen Families and Other Rating Systems

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

95 replies to this topic

amandy

amandy

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 1, 2013 @ 2:27 AM

This is probably more of a theoretical question about dvr recordings and ratings, but after having to piece together an episode of The Good Wife two weeks in a row, something occurred to me. In my area, The Good Wife is "scheduled" for 8 pm, but generally airs anytime between 8 and 9:30 pm, because of delays. I set my dvr to record the show starting at 8, but have extended the recording an extra 30 minutes, so I generally get 0-45 minutes of The Amazing Race and 30-60 minutes of The Good Wife.

Would this type of programming delay on a dvr affect the ratings for both shows, assuming they are eventually counted? I don't watch The Amazing Race, but since it's often airing after my 8 pm recording time, would that cause its ratings to be unfairly inflated?

paulvdb

paulvdb

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2013 @ 3:29 AM

DVR viewing in Nielsen households is based on what they actually watch on their DVR. It's not counted if they just record something but never watch it.

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2013 @ 10:56 AM

But amandy was saying that DVR sometimes records Amazing Race plus the Good Wife. It's one recording of them together, not two separate ones labeled separately. To watch The Good Wife, you'd have to watch or fastforward through the Amazing Race, so it would be counted as watched. I think it might mess up the "overnight ratings" numbers. However, the "final" ratings reported a few days later are usually corrected to reflect spillovers like this. They do that with sports overruns and other live events like award shows. So the "final" ratings would assign viewers to the correct show, regardless of the timeslot changes that particular night.

Edited by Cress, Apr 13, 2013 @ 10:56 AM.

paulvdb

paulvdb

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2013 @ 2:45 AM

Yes, preliminary ratings just show the originally scheduled timeslot and would include people who watched the end of Amazing Race and not include the end of Good Wife, but final ratings would fix that.

As far as the fast forwarding is concerned, I don't think that would be included in the ratings for Amazing Race. I think they only count DVR viewing if you watch at normal speed, but I'm not 100% certain of that. Maybe someone else can confirm that.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 1:43 PM

I think they only count DVR viewing if you watch at normal speed, but I'm not 100% certain of that. Maybe someone else can confirm that.

I know that's how they get the C3 ratings, which is what advertisers are actually using to set their rates these days. C3 records (for programs watched within three days of their original airing) how many people are watching the commercials, which is obviously the part that advertisers care about. As has been pointed out in several media outlets, a surprising percentage of viewers watch the commercials when they watch shows that they've DVRed. But C3 data is rarely (if ever) published.

But I'm not sure if Live + Same Day ratings ("overnights") only count people who are watching the commercials. My intuition is to say that they are, since advertisers are the ones who want the data, and they care about commercials.

Edited by Redtracer, Apr 16, 2013 @ 1:45 PM.

paulvdb

paulvdb

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2013 @ 4:36 AM

The ratings that are reported in the media (overnights, final, live+3 and live+7) are almost always for the whole timeslot (show + commercials). C3 (and any other ratings that measure only commercial viewing) are rarely published in the media. Nielsen makes money by selling ratings information to advertisers (and other parties). Advertisers would not pay Nielsen for C3 ratings if they could get them for free on sites like TVByTheNumbers.