Regency House Party

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

263 replies to this topic

Garden Wafers

Garden Wafers

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 25, 2004 @ 9:46 PM

I assumed that it was Miss Braund based on the jacket she was wearing the morning after. It looked to be the same one that Captain Glover was wearing.

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Nov 26, 2004 @ 12:43 AM

The Channel 4 website has followup interviews with the participants. Going by that none of the 'relationships' panned out, except perhaps Lady Davenport and Mr. Foxsmith and more power to them.

Someone finally threatened Mrs. Rogers with bodily harm! It was bound to happen sometime. The woman let her position go to her head and became a tinpot dictator who glorified in wielding her power over everyone else. It may not have been very Regency but I really can't blame Mrs. E for cracking.

Not my favorite edition, but the British people seem much more into having the experience than being famewhores.

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2004 @ 8:07 PM

If I were Mr. Everett, I'd have proposed to Miss Samuel and let Miss Hopkins keep music boy.

The Chaperone Smackdown was hilarious, imo. I kept thinking "My the Brits are very polite, even when they're ticked off."

Lyddie

Lyddie

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2004 @ 9:32 AM

With all the demands for apologies, Jordan from Sorority Life would have fit right in.

Mr. Carrington seems a bit of a cad. He was all over Miss Hopkins, but in his interview on the Regency House Party web site he says he liked Miss Samuel. I'm glad he ended up with no one and had to ride his little push-toy down the hill alone. I'm sorry, but how stupid did that look?

purplefishy

purplefishy

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2004 @ 1:25 PM

Mrs. Rogers is so eeeeeevil. I'd love to see her in a cage match fight against TAR 6's Jonathan. That way she could use her powers of evil for good.

Damn, that would be funny. In fact, that would be funnier than Mr. Carrington looked on his push-toy.

Britty

Britty

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 27, 2004 @ 5:10 PM

And finally, Mr. Gorell Barnes had more chemistry with Darren, his valet, than he did with the Countess.

Darren was awfully teary when Mr. GB was saying his goodbyes. Now we know what went on after the ladies had retired for the evening.

Souris

Souris

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2004 @ 8:48 PM

I wish it wasn't over, it seemed like it was just getting really good.

ITA! I just now watched the final ep, what with the holiday. The final ep was the best, I thought. I do wish it had been longer and we'd seen more. I really wanted a "where are they now" segment, too.

Could Miss Hopkins have been more Felicity with her back-and-forth on Everett and Carrington? Ben, Noel, Ben, Noel. I was happy she ultimately chose Everett, as I thought Carrington was a cad. He was all about he didn't reciprocate her feelings, and then suddenly he's putting rose petals on her bed? But she was a flake.

Glad Captain Glover got rewarded by becoming Sir Jeremy and got Miss Braund. He was so into the experience. Miss Martin and the hermit (Obi-Wan, heh) were cute.

I just don't understand why none of the men fancied Miss Conick. I thought she was lovely, and I agree with whoever said she'd make a smashing courtesan.

Naughty, naughty, Countess and GB! We didn't see anything about him and one of the maids, whom he mentioned during the maze interview. I'd like to know what that was about.

I was LOL at GB's suggestion that Rogers and Enright just have duel, one of them would be killed and that would solve matters. I took Enright's side because Mrs. Rogers was such a mean old biddy most of the time, what with the slapping.

Timetraveler

Timetraveler

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 27, 2004 @ 9:07 PM

Felt ho hum about this entire series. I think the Brits have done better jobs in the past. It would have been so much more interesting with more candid footage from the housestaff. House staff always knows the best poop!

In fact, they should recut the whole series from the point of view of Mr. Gorrell Barnes valet. What was up with those two? That was the weepiest scene that I remember in any episode. Perhaps that was the only love story in this enire snorefest.

Re: Miss Samuels. In JANE EYRE, Mr. Rochester's "wife" is a young heiress from the islands that he is marries for her money. Her family knows that she is nuts and is thrilled to get rid of her. It is semi-implied IMHO that she is a lady of mixed blood lines. I believe that she never "enters" British society when she arrives in England and goes straight up to the tower with Grace Poole so no one ever knows about her. Thinking back on it, I am hard pressed to believe that Mr. Rochester's circle of snooty friends would have accepted her even if she was sane. I am dubious about Miss Samuels chances as well. Society of the time would have treated her politley, but they wouldn't have wanted her as part of the family. NIMBY

ChocolateCherry

ChocolateCherry

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2004 @ 10:05 PM

We didn't see anything about him and one of the maids, whom he mentioned during the maze interview. I'd like to know what that was about.

The maid was apparently Darren's (the valet) GF. So had he gone through the maze with her (which was strictly prohibited) Darren would have cut his throat the next morning.

I would have loved to see a "Where are they Now" follow-up, but it would have been WAY out of date anyway. A couple months ago Gorell-Barnes was in a car accident with his (somewhat famous) GF and he was badly injured. Does anyone know the low down with any of the other cast?

Edited by ChocolateCherry, Nov 27, 2004 @ 10:06 PM.

Fabrisse

Fabrisse

Stalker

• Interests:Heroes, Stargate SG-1, Smallville, Criminal Minds, Eureka, House, Good Eats

Posted Nov 28, 2004 @ 12:25 AM

Society of the time would have treated her politley, but they wouldn't have wanted her as part of the family.

Nothing got a family more gossiped about than, in the phrase of the time, "a touch of the tar-brush."

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2004 @ 8:37 AM

It would have been so much more interesting with more candid footage from the housestaff. House staff always knows the best poop!

That would have been more interesting. Because they would have overheard gossip and may have even been confided in.

I don't know how the "rules" were set up in the program, but I would think in the Regency era a clever chaperone would have had a maid or footman in her employ as a spy.

Timetraveler

Timetraveler

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 28, 2004 @ 4:21 PM

Milz, agree with you completely. A sharp maid or footman/valet would have been making a little pocket money by spying. Or better, if he/she aided in a marriage, then they would be taken with the new couple and have a higher position in the new household. Below stairs was just as concerned about status/position as above stairs. In "Remains of the Day" they are seated at the servants dining table according to "precedence." Butler at the head etc.

Drawing room comedies illustrate the gossip and intrigue of the time. My favorite is "Tis a Pity She's a Whore." Servants certainly helped to fuel those fires. "Regency House" was too politically correct in that regard. All that scurrying back and forth amongst the bedrooms! Tell, tell!

There is a great movie that illustrates how the servants know everything. Can not remember the name of it, but the gist is an unwitting fellow (a naturalist) comes to the home of a wealthy family. He has no money or social standing. He falls in love with the beautiful daughter and is amazed when she agrees to marry him. What the servants and governess know is that she has been having an incestuous relatationship with her elder brother! She proceeds to have scads of children ( a least 2 sets of twins) who in no way resemble the husband. One day when he is out hunting, a servant boy finds him and says he must return to the house immediately. The husband goes back and find the brother and sister/wife "enflagrante" and that is the end of that! He realizes that the servants and governess thought he was a decent guy and should not be hoodwinked by the dastardly duo any longer. The governess lets on during a card game that she knew all along and tells him that all below stairs know everything.

At the time of the "Regency" servants were treated like a piece of furniture in the room. There are stories how some couples had to have "help" in the marriage bed because of the girth of the husband. (All that binge drinking catches up to you.)Apparently the poor fellow could not maintain an upright position and needed someone to prop him up and help find his way in. These people had to have quite a mindset that allowed them to expect help from servants in order to perform their most personal business! It must go along with the chamber pot in the dining room!

Fabrisse

Fabrisse

Stalker

• Interests:Heroes, Stargate SG-1, Smallville, Criminal Minds, Eureka, House, Good Eats

Posted Nov 28, 2004 @ 6:55 PM

I'm furious with my local PBS station. Rather than having their weekly reshow of Regency House tonight, they're showing a bunch of tenors. I can't watch it on Wednesdays. I know what happened, sort of, thanks to y'all, but they pre-empted the final episode. GRRRRRR!

GinevradiBenci

GinevradiBenci

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2004 @ 7:46 PM

I think the series ranks below Manor House, but I can't pinpoint why, exactly. I think this one should have been jucier in some way, but it lacked a bit of oomph. The last two episodes were much more interesting than the first, with the naked women on tables and the plasticified people.

ChocolateCherry

ChocolateCherry

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2004 @ 9:10 PM

I think the series ranks below Manor House, but I can't pinpoint why, exactly.

Perhaps because outside of Miss Rogers no one hated each other. In Manor House they hated the Upstairs, they hated the butler, they hated the chef, the scullery maids were whiny bitches(quit regularly), the footmen were slackers, and people had to sleep on the floor(ok, one guy). In RHP they all seemed to take their lumps and they kept their complaining to a minimum. Also I thik although status was a big part in RHP it wasn't staggered enough. Even though Miss Francesca was poor she still had her own room and relative freedom to get all shaggy with the hermit. In Manor House the butler would have bitch slapped (verbally) for shirking her duty.This is partly why people wanted more Downstairs because the act of DOING for others creates more conflict than having such and such DONE for you.

I loved how the men's wing of the house was all dark wood and the women's was all light and airy. I imagine the reasoning is that women needed more sun and air to avoid feminine ailments or some crap.

GinevradiBenci

GinevradiBenci

Fanatic

Posted Nov 29, 2004 @ 9:17 AM

I don't think it was the conflict that I missed, because the whining scullery maids really bugged me. I think the biggest thing was that the Hopkins/Everett/Carrington issue got so much screentime, and I thought that all three of them were dull and stupid (although Carrington was fun to look at). Seriously, Everett was always sloppy drunk and mooning around, and Miss Hopkins was just so insipid, it drove me crazy.

There were a lot of interesting things happening (the Gothic slide show, the Countess being served as dinner, the plastecised people, the Hellfire Club party, the balls, the illicit boxing match) but because so many of the people were on the boring side, I never really got engaged. I didn't hate it (in fact, I watched all four episodes back to back with interest), but it was lacking an oomph.

CalumetK

CalumetK

Fanatic

Posted Nov 29, 2004 @ 11:14 AM

There is a great movie that illustrates how the servants know everything. Can not remember the name of it, but the gist is an unwitting fellow (a naturalist) comes to the home of a wealthy family. He has no money or social standing. He falls in love with the beautiful daughter and is amazed when she agrees to marry him. What the servants and governess know is that she has been having an incestuous relatationship with her elder brother! She proceeds to have scads of children ( a least 2 sets of twins) who in no way resemble the husband.

Timetraveler...I think you're talking about the movie "Angels and Insects?"

catrina

catrina

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2004 @ 1:58 PM

My Tivo recorded all of the episodes during a Thanksgiving Marathon but I finally watched the last of them last night.

It was enjoyable but a rather confusing mini-series. Editing it must have been an absolute nightmare and I feel like this one was just put together horribly. Bottom of the ladder for this series. Manor House had much cleaner storylines with an equally large cast. Frontier House remains one of my favorites but I still have a soft spot for the "English" side ones like 1900 House and 1940s House (which I never saw the last episode!).

I was always somewhat confused about the participants motivations. Sometimes I was thinking it was a real contest and the girls/guys with the best match-ups got prizes or something. They treated the "marriage" decision very seriously. But in the end...I guess it was still make-believe? Then Miss Hopkins "drama" really doesn't make as much sense to me. Turns out she, Miss Braun and Miss Martin didn't end up with any of the guys they went off with.

Who is Mr. G-B's somewhat famous GF?

TheAnglican

TheAnglican

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 30, 2004 @ 3:17 PM

We just watched the last episode last night at Chez Anglican, after getting back from a long Thanksgiving trip. I have a stupid question. At the end, what was with all of the agonizing about who would "leave" with whom? Was that supposed to signify a role-played acceptance of a proposal or something?

I think it's sweet that Lady D and Mr. Foxsmith ended up together. But something they said on their Washington Post web chat is still puzzling me. As in the last episode, they mentioned the May/September aspect of the relationship. They also said that they realized the relationship was "finite" and that they would have to break up eventually because Mr. Foxsmith was feeling the need to reproduce. But yet they are so deeply emotionally involved with each other that this will be difficult for them. I guess it would be one thing if all they wanted from each other was a bit of lusty dalliance, but the whole characterization of being in love for a finite period of time is baffling to me.

I would totally have taken Mrs. Enright's side against Mrs. Rogers. Did anybody else think that Mrs. Enright was really striking? She has the most beautiful skin and silver hair. Mrs. Rogers, on the other hand, always looked to me like she'd led a very dissolute life and it was starting to catch up with her. If this really were the Regency, she'd be out taking snuff with the boys and pissing behind the screen in the dining room. (and maybe getting away with it too, if she were rich enough!)

Edited by TheAnglican, Nov 30, 2004 @ 5:24 PM.

Hairymango

Hairymango

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2004 @ 3:51 PM

There is a great movie that illustrates how the servants know everything. Can not remember the name of it,

Yes, like CalumetK I too, thought of "Angels and Insects". Flawed movie, but I did like the part when the Housekeeper mentions that occasionally "the house" decides when it's time to reveal certain secrets.

ChocolateCherry

ChocolateCherry

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2004 @ 6:19 PM

Who is Mr. G-B's somewhat famous GF?

I probably should have said somehwhat wealthy although I think she's somewhat famous across the pond. Her name is Martha Lane Fox and she's a dot.com millionaire. This was back in May so he may have moved on since then.

Timetraveler

Timetraveler

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 30, 2004 @ 7:07 PM

In the first episode, Mrs. Rogers is introduced a a "debutante" from the 1960's. She holds up her picture and has the 60's look with the big hair and is reasonably attractive. She has good bone structure and so I have concluded that she hit the booze a little too much between then and now because of the way she looks presently. Mrs. Enright was stunning. I thought they said that she was in the military. Even if she was the wife of a military man, she would have seen and practiced a much more disciplined life. I am inferring that her good looks and healthy appearance is a result of this. I thought Mrs. Rogers was a shrew. I don't know how the Countess put up with her unless she has a pain in the ass grandmother in real life! Given her position of absolute authority re all the females in the house, can one state "absolute power corrupts absolutely?" Her family in real life probably has nothing to do with her.

Marla Singer

Marla Singer

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2004 @ 7:29 PM

I would guess that years of sun worship, a bad diet and genetics has a lot to do with how poorly Mrs. Rogers has aged.

Steggy

Steggy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 1, 2004 @ 12:42 AM

When Mr. Everett proposed to Miss Hopkins was it a real proposal and she actually rejected him? Or was it just a proposal within the context of the show and by leaving with him she has signified her acceptance? The lack of clarification on this issue was the major flaw in this production. The characters were not constrained by Regency rules at all. The countess was free to spend the night in Mr. G-B's room because she knew that in the end she would not be forced to marry him. I suspect, that all Mrs. Rogers scheming aside, that had she faced the prospect of marraige to Mr. Gorgeous-Boring she would have never crossed the line.

parsleysage

parsleysage

Posted Dec 1, 2004 @ 10:42 AM

Mr. Gorgeous-Boring

Pretty funny name. Actually, parsleysage-mini and I walk around the house saying "Mr. Gorrell-Barnes" because we just like the way it sounds. Stupid huh?

catrina

catrina

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2004 @ 11:12 AM

I think the lack of clarity between the "make-believe" and the real was a flaw of the production. Clearly some of the feelings were real between couples. But the actions that people talked about "marriage" I guess were only meant to be make-believe. No one was really expected to be married by the end of this production.

I can't help but wonder if real prizes should have been awarded to the chaperones and the women for good matches...but not to the men. And that each group wouldn't have been aware of the potential prizes to the other group.

It would have sparked real competition among the cast to actually hook up with their best match. Instead Miss Martin rejected a marriage proposal that by all accounts was the best she was ever going to get. She "ran off" with the Hermit to remain lower-class. But then...strangely since she obviously was following her actual feelings, Miss Martin and the Hermit did not remain a couple after the show anyway.

However...I think men like the entertainers, musicians, and hermits could ALSO have been in competition for cash prizes for getting a soceity woman of wealth to "marry" them.

The more I think about this, the more I think it would have improved the season. Men were the only players who had enough money that they could, if they wanted, marry for love. They didn't need a cash prize to compete. But women should have been looking out for their long-term interests. However, on the show, because they couldn't really duplicate that kind of desperation...the women didn't act on it very much either.

sphinx81

sphinx81

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 1, 2004 @ 12:40 PM

Mr. Gorgeous-Boring

Hee! An excellent nick-name for sure.

However, it’s a little funny to me that Gorgeous-Boring turned out to be very Darcy-esque in the end; frankly, when he first showed up on the scene, he struck me as a serious jerk due to a lack of him seemingly doing nothing else but drinking and checking out the chicks. I don’t know, he just had a certain air about him.

But by the end, he came off pretty decently (despite having little personality overall); obviously the staff liked him very much as evidenced by their teary goodbyes, no one had any complaints about him whatsoever, he seemed to handle the house fights in a decent, grown-up manner and seemed to contain some sense of snarky-but-not-overly-mean humor. Frankly, I think he was so busy trying to keep the house together and think of things for the party to do (which frankly was the Hostess’s job. The man of the house is not supposed to be constantly coming up with courting activities. It’s what the Hostess is paid for! But I guess she was too busy being a snobby old shrew to, you know actually do her job) that we really didn’t get to see how he really was. Not to mention he really didn’t click with any of the women, (save the Countess, and even then it seemed to be only because she was there).

I do want to see what maid he apparently hooked up with, if at all though according to the interview on the PBS sight, he had thing for his Darren-the-valet’s girlfriend! What also would’ve been cool was if Gorgeous-Boring (‘cause damn, he was pretty good-looking, though I had to laugh when they spoofed the Darcy wet-shirt look) had hooked up with one of the more “lower-class” girls like the redhead who decided to become a courtesan. I was really surprised that none of the guys seemed that interested in her at all.

pixiegirl

pixiegirl

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 1, 2004 @ 5:47 PM

I've been really bummed for the past week because I was travelling last Wednesday for Thanksgiving and forgot to tape the last episode! Then, I realized that the good people at TWoP might be able to help! (Please?)

Could someone give me (or direct me to) a succint recap of what happened, who ended up with who, etc.? I looked at the official site, but their recap was a little convoluted. And I've gleaned some insight from reading everyone's posts here (about the Countess and Mr. G-B, Captain Glover [my fave] and Miss Braund), but what happened to everyone else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I just wanted to chime in by agreeing that the editing in this series seemed off. The storylines were hard to follow at times, and it seemed more focused on teaching us another slice of Regency life than actually allowing us to invest in the characters. Don't get me wrong, I'm a total history dork and love getting all the facts about whatever time period they're discussing in the house-of-the-moment, but I felt there could have been a better balance. Then, some characters were focused on endlessly (Miss Hopkins, in particular), while others were really downplayed (like Miss Conick, who I would have liked to have known more about).
Post-production could have done a better job, I think.

ladero

ladero

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 1, 2004 @ 7:57 PM

I've gleaned some insight from reading everyone's posts here (about the Countess and Mr. G-B, Captain Glover [my fave] and Miss Braund), but what happened to everyone else?

The Countess and G-B hooked up after the masked ball and were caught in his room by his valet.

Even though Miss Hopkins went through the maze with the musician, she decided to accept Mr. Everett at the end and left with him. The musician rode off alone.

Ms. Conick decided that the best way for her to make her was in the world was to go to London and become a courtesan. She also was wanted sponsor ( I don't know if that's the right word) a salon where people could come to discuss philosophy? and other ideas. Her chaperone declared that Ms. Conick had the mind and body for those pursuits, but that she (the chaperone) didn't know how to tell Ms. Conick's parents of her decision.

Sir Jeremy ( formerly Captain Glover) proposed to Miss Braund and she accepted. Both of them decided that marrying their best friend would not be the worst thing in the world.

I think Miss Martin ended up with the hermit.

Mr. Foxsmith was heartbroken over the end of his relationship with Lady Davenport.

I think that cover most of the relationships. Everyone else left single.

catrina

catrina

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2004 @ 10:01 AM

I never could figure out why Ms. Conick (the red-head) never got hooked up. In the "regency world" it would have been because she was the lowest status (next to Miss Martin). But why in the real world did none of the men look her way at all? She had almost no plotlines. I thought Ms. Conick was one of the most attractive of the girls. Better looking than Miss Hopkins.