Frontline

• Please log in to reply

326 replies to this topic

Camo

Camo

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2014 @ 11:10 AM

I'm so glad there's a Frontline thread!  I should know more, and I watched the whole thing, but how in the hell did 'expert networks' become something that required clarifying/explaining? 

I can't phrase it right but it certainly seems that a significant portion of truly successful traders/managers simply don't believe insider trading is a crime or that it even exists -- there's a culture of 'of course we're entitled to know information, we went to Wharton/we worked hard/our friends get to help us.'  I mean, I'm amazed that 'Mr. Whisper' wasn't 'Mr. Shout' in calling the dudes at Galleon and giving them the info on Amazon.  And that ass who wrote about it and used the tip to earn $500,000 after 'deliberating' should be in prison, not smarming about the problem to Frontline.

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2014 @ 11:34 AM

There was way too much smarm coming from those traders.

B2H

B2H

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 15, 2014 @ 1:10 PM

This week's episode covering 1964 was excellent, but was missing one thing (in my opinion).

They covered the Goldwater campaign in detail, right down to the number of electoral votes he won (and the much higher number that he didn't win).  What was missed was one of the major contributing factors to the loss - one that historians and particularly advertising historians view as Goldwater's downfall:  the Daisy Girl commercial.

It was run only once under a week before the election, but was absolutely devastating to the campaign.  It was certainly a factor worth covering.

For those who haven't seen it, there are many You Tube entries for it.  I can't link to You Tube at work (forbidden site) or I would.

helenbaby

helenbaby

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 15, 2014 @ 4:46 PM

B2H--I'm pretty sure that was American Experience, not Frontline. I agree it was pretty good but when it came to the last 30 minutes I lost interest. But what's so funny is that even good old Goldwater wasn't as politically pure as the ones who spoke on his behalf in the show. He had no problem with gays in the military, abortion rights or a lot of issues the conservatives today demand in their candidates.

B2H

B2H

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 10:01 AM

Yes, helenbaby, you're right.  My bad.

I said to my fiance', who was born in 1964 (and clearly missed most of this as it was happening), that Goldwater wouldn't be accepted into the GOP today.  And yet they continue to use him as the standard, along with Reagan (who would also not be allowed into the tent).

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 2:05 PM

This week's Frontline about North Korea was pretty rough stuff with the footage that was sneaked out.  It was really haunting to see that exchange translated with someone asking "Why don't you have an arm?" to a kid and then just seeing it translated to a "Because a train cut it off."  

Edited by Morbs, Jan 16, 2014 @ 2:11 PM.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 3:22 PM

Morbs - some of that footage was bloody grim, wasn't it? Those dollar balloons broke my heart.  I can only hope that the unstoppable tide of information & technology can somehow work magic to alleviate these people's suffering in some way, rather than bring retaliation upon those who don't toe* the party line. 

* because people who tow the line exhaust me.

Edited by walnutqueen, Jan 16, 2014 @ 3:23 PM.

urlittledogtoo

urlittledogtoo

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 3:56 PM

upon those who don't toe* the party line. 

* because people who tow the line exhaust me.

Thank you. 

Rodman should be strapped to a chair and have his eyelids taped open and be forced to watch this for hours and hours on a loop. Then we can send him back to live with his 'good friend' Kim Jong Un and be besties forever and forever. Oh, and never come back. 

North Korea is the saddest country on Earth. Probably ever. 

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 8:28 PM

some of that footage was bloody grim, wasn't it? Those dollar balloons broke my heart.  I can only hope that the unstoppable tide of information & technology can somehow work magic to alleviate these people's suffering in some way, rather than bring retaliation upon those who don't toe* the party line.

Yeah, at the end of it, I thought to myself, "I shouldn't have watched that,"  just for my own mental well being.  Unlike the Wallstreet one, where I just wanted it to go on and on and on with arrests.

Camo

Camo

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2014 @ 12:56 PM

This was such an awful but excellent episode.

I'm so fascinated that so many of the analysts seem to agree that North Korea will be toppled, eventually, by things like popular culture and radio.  It made me think of an old story - around 5 years ago, the NY Philharmonic performed in North Korea, before Kim Jong-il and party leaders.  A lot of people were appalled and the argument, which I think I agreed with, was that the music would make a difference - work against the party's propaganda about the west and the US in particular, but to some it still came across as a seranade of dictatorship.  Hearing that Kim Jong-un has had security forces go house to house to hunt for smuggled-in thumb drives with films and TV shows from other nations, and that the rumor is that he's had 80+ people executed potentially on this basis makes me look at the Philharmonic's trip in a different way.  But I don't know which way.

I said out loud while watching, to the woman who was protesting against the police trying to stop her private bus service, 'no!!'  People have to confront this kind of illegitimate authority but Kim Jong-un is so brutal that I worry for her.

Edited by Camo, Jan 18, 2014 @ 12:59 PM.

commenter

commenter

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2014 @ 6:26 PM

I said out loud while watching, to the woman who was protesting against the police trying to stop her private bus service, 'no!!'  People have to confront this kind of illegitimate authority but Kim Jong-un is so brutal that I worry for her.

I worried for a lot of people on the show, like the border guard who let the smuggler in and whose voice we heard off camera. I hope the disguises etc used in some scenes are really effective.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2014 @ 8:10 PM

I was catching up on my DVR backlog and finally watched the excellent episode "Generation Like", about teens, social media, pop culture, and big brands.  It was a real eye-opener for me, since I don't participate in any of that stuff (the closest I get is watching @midnight!), and made me very grateful I'm not a parent.

http://www.pbs.org/w...eneration-like/

stewieluv

stewieluv

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 26, 2014 @ 10:49 PM

"Secrets of the Vatican" was a new episode, but I ended up missing most of it. I only caught the last 20 minutes.

suomi

suomi

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 27, 2014 @ 12:39 AM

It presented a series of wowzer facts, one after another, bam! bam! bam!

The hypocrisy of widespread homosexual activity among those who rule/run Vatican City, large scale money-laundering/embezzling by the Vatican Bank, cronyism/jockeying for power and influence peddling among the Curia, the official blind eye re child rape/sexual abuse, and how Benedict XVI's butler exposed all of that via VatiLeaks. The VatiLeaks led to Benedict's resignation (the first in 600 years) which set the stage for Francis to appear (one year ago), and he is the first non-European pope in 1200 years. That's what I can remember right now. Pope Francis seems like a cool and righteous dude! (And I'm an agnostic.)

stewieluv

stewieluv

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 27, 2014 @ 12:47 AM

Pope Francis seems like a cool and righteous dude!

Yes he does! Love the Bueller reference.

I am going to have to catch it again on repeat. I had read a synopsis of the episode online and it really seems like a very interesting episode. I am especially interested in watching how the whole child rape and sexual abuse was hidden and handled internally.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Feb 27, 2014 @ 4:18 PM

I was catching up on my DVR backlog and finally watched the excellent episode "Generation Like", about teens, social media, pop culture, and big brands.

I've tried twice to watch that one, and both times the teens have annoyed me into doing something else.  One of these days I'll be in the right mood to take it all in.

I assume, with the marketing angle, the title refers to the Facebook "like" feature and such.  But listening to the teens interviewed, it certainly works to describe their speech patterns; is this generation having some sort of contest to see how many words "like" can be substituted for and how frequently it can appear in a single sentence?

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2014 @ 4:54 PM

is this generation having some sort of contest to see how many words "like" can be substituted for and how frequently it can appear in a single sentence?

Sure, but I seem to remember teenagers going through the same phase about 45 years ago.  ;-)  What really disturbs me is that they don't seem to grasp the concept of "selling out", much less care to examine how they are being manipulated.

Although Pope Francis seems like a "cool and righteous dude", I'll reserve judgement until he does something other than show us how humble and passionate about the poor he is.  It is a nice sentiment, and certainly draws attention away from all those pesky scandals, but does little to resolve the deep underlying problems the Church must eventually resolve.

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2014 @ 8:30 PM

I loved the Secrets of the Vatican one.  I can barely function when I'm hungover, I can't imagine having to perform mass after an all nighter of drinking, anonymous sex, and drugs.  Such stamina!  Maybe there's something to this whole holy spirit thang after all...

Scholls1

Scholls1

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2014 @ 8:57 PM

Walnut queen, I agree with your comments completely; and couldn't have said it any better. But I had to say something... It's the not saying something that has propagated the many church issues. Yes, Pope Francis I am waiting, but won't for too long.

(and those kids don't know "selling out"? Those are the puddin' heads who hold the keys to our future?)

Edited by Scholls1, Feb 27, 2014 @ 8:58 PM.

Sharpie66

Sharpie66

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2014 @ 10:57 PM

The Vatican ep had some horrific stuff in it--those molestation cases were just disturbing. But I was surprised at the priests who were surprised that their fellow priests were ambitious and wanted to move up the ladder in the Curia. That is just human nature!

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Feb 27, 2014 @ 11:05 PM

Gah. I didn't get to record the Vatican one, and my local station isn't re-running it. I mainly wanted to know more about the pope resigning.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2014 @ 12:30 AM

Trini Girl - you can always watch it at PBS.org:

http://www.pbs.org/w...of-the-vatican/

I think they did a decent job of outlining the history, secrecy, power, scandals and leaks in the Church leading up to the Pope's resignation, among other things, so it would probably be worth watching online.

Scholls1 - I am often hesitant to engage in discussion that involves religion, but this program reminded me of how important intelligent, reasonable ideas matched with a very basic moral compass are to humanity.  Because you are absolutely right - without a voice of reason and integrity speaking out, we are all lost in the darkness of ignorance, avarice and corruption.   That trite old saying about how evil exists when good people do (say) nothing really does hold true, and the Church is just one more glaring example of that.  Hopefully the rhetoric will turn into action and CHANGE (because as far as I can tell, pretty much everything in the Church is still status quo, and the Curia is more powerful than God).  I am a skeptic, agnostic and wary old hippie contrarian, so when a new Pope starts playing 3 card monte with photo ops, I am watching everything but his cards!  It's like politics and power; we know what they're doing isn't right, but we're part of the mostly silent machine that keeps it all going nonetheless.  So where's the kid who tells the Emperor he's buck-assed nekkid when you need him?  :-)

(and those kids don't know "selling out"? Those are the puddin' heads who hold the keys to our future?)    

Don't know the term, and can not grasp the concept - AT ALL.  If you watch this episode, you will be afraid, very afraid of living to a ripe old age.  At least, I was. :~)  

Edited by walnutqueen, Feb 28, 2014 @ 12:32 AM.

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2014 @ 11:51 AM

I thought Generation Like didn't have enough insights or new information, but it was very funny how awful and needy the actor from Vampire Diaries came off.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I think something is going on with my affiliate too, and they only aired the Vatican episode at like 4 in the morning one night when usually I see it brand new at 10.  I think it was too hot to handle for Ohio.

Scholls1

Scholls1

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2014 @ 1:15 PM

Walnutqueen, I did see "Like" and was amazed... compare the kids of the '70s to these kids. Yikes!  

And Morbs, I did see "Vatican" in  an Ohio market.  I almost can't believe there were broadcast schedule shenanigans as if you watch "Vatican" you realize exactly how unconcerned the church is with what anyone thinks of them.  There won't be any Frontline cutting into the mob vig, or any Frontline choking any type of acknowledgement out of the church.  Timothy Dolan's the one who authorized/directed the transfer of funds to a cemetery fund to avoid pay outs to abuse victims... and yet I see his big fat patty-mouth on CBS This Morning, and sitting next to the Pres at high-profile events....

And by the way, off-topic, I'd love to know why the US government (local, state, federal, executive, or any other branch) doesn't have the ability to freeze funds of a criminal enterprise (...cemetery maintenance fund my arse...).  I'm quite sure that no other business or person is allow to deliberately shelter and hide funds to avoid criminal and civil fines.  (I know they try, but the govt won't have it...)

Sunnychoppers

Sunnychoppers

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 28, 2014 @ 4:57 PM

What really disturbs me is that they don't seem to grasp the concept of "selling out", much less care to examine how they are being manipulated.

Wow!  Is this really true of the youth today?  I'm in my 40's and don't have kids so I'm out of the loop.

Even today after all these years I'm still rebelling, not only against big corporations, but also anything that is popular. (like having children)

I don't have an IPhone. (I do have an IPod because I love music)  I don't wear name brand clothes like Nike or have a Coach purse.  I don't go to Starbucks or trendy bars and restaurants.  There's no way in hell I'd do a Sandals vacation or a Carnival cruise.  And I can't stand Hollywood big-budget movies!  Ach!

Basically, if it appeals to the masses, it doesn't appeal to me.

I have an innate suspicion that all the ducks are flying in the wrong direction. 

And I've assumed that there will always be a segment of our population (usually teenagers) that will have this same suspicion.

The idea that teenagers aren't rebelling is incredibly disheartening to me!!!

It's been my experience that the people who buy "the latest" gadget, clothes, etc. will also have an orange pill bottle in their Coach purse next to their Gucci sunglasses filled with Xanax or Vicodin. 

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2014 @ 6:14 PM

Phew Scholls1, glad to hear it.  

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2014 @ 6:57 AM

analysts seem to agree that North Korea will be toppled, eventually, by things like popular culture and radio.  It made me think of an old story - around 5 years ago, the NY Philharmonic

That made me think of something I heard/read about the fall of the USSR.  Blue jeans were the reason that the people hated communism.  They couldn't buy them and when they could they were horribly expensive.  

I watched part of the Vatican episode.  I just can't watch stuff about child molesting so skipped that part.  It was a good episode though with much of the politics of the Vatican exposed.