Scotland

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

16 replies to this topic

highlandfan

highlandfan

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 13, 2004 @ 9:49 AM

Hi, someone on the London thread suggested that we make a Scotland thread so here it is!

PrettyButterfly

PrettyButterfly

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 14, 2004 @ 3:39 PM

You know, we're really not a big country and I know there is at least a handfull of us Scots so we really should try to meet up.

And for any other TWoPers coming to Scotland, I'm in Aberdeen. The weather sucks, but we're nice people I promise!

Edited by PrettyButterfly, Oct 14, 2004 @ 3:39 PM.

public defender

public defender

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2004 @ 5:20 PM

I don't live in Scotland, but I spent a month there about 10 years ago...TWoPcon would be a great excuse to come back and see the place in less of an alcoholic haze! (When you arrive in Edinburgh on New Years Eve it sure does set the pace for the rest of the trip.)

I'll be with everyone there in spirit(s), anyway.

DoomedKumquat

DoomedKumquat

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 21, 2004 @ 12:18 PM

I'm in Aberdeen as well! And a big "hear hear!" to the sucky weather. I came back from Cyprus last night, where it was 20 degrees Celcius in the sea. I live in Cults, and have done for eight years. I'm still at school though, and hoping to get the hell out of here as soon as it's my time to go to Uni. As much as I love this city.

highlandfan

highlandfan

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 21, 2004 @ 2:26 PM

Ahhh, the lovely weather we have in this part of the country! NOT!!!!!!! DoomedKumquat I would be scared to go down to the local beach without a jumper never mind swim in it!! I want to leave for uni partly because you cant get my course here though.;)

DoomedKumquat

DoomedKumquat

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 26, 2004 @ 3:16 PM

You'll cringe at this, but I swam in the sea off the West coast last year. At 10pm. It was cold enough to feel as if my flesh was burning, peeling off me and drifting off in the current to be eaten by the little marine organisms. Yum. Then I spent the night in a cave, with my hair soaking wet and a damp sleeping bag (my skin had grown back by this point). Didn't even get a sniffle.

madhatter90

madhatter90

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 8, 2004 @ 8:06 AM

I live in Ayrshire. Its pretty sucky weather down here too. Can't wait to skip it to america. Mmmmmmmn...California....

AnneH

AnneH

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2004 @ 12:45 PM

I live in Cults

Dumb question. I donít live in Scotland but I do have cousins who live in Peterculter. Is Cults the short form for Maryculter and Peterculter? Iím in Canada but am hoping to get back to Scotland next summer.

Have a great time if you manage to get together.

PrettyButterfly

PrettyButterfly

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 12, 2004 @ 4:18 PM

Cults is about 4 miles from Aberdeen city centre. This map was very helpfull.

I've lived in Aberdeen all my life and I had to look that up. Peterculter is further out from Aberdeen. I'm blaming this lack of local knowledge on the fact that I don't drive.

ETA: And the link isn't working. Crap.

Edited by PrettyButterfly, Nov 12, 2004 @ 4:26 PM.

Luigi

Luigi

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 23, 2004 @ 9:57 AM

DoomedKumquat and highlandfan where is it you are planning on going for uni? Somewhere with better weather I hope?

highlandfan

highlandfan

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 24, 2004 @ 12:37 PM

Luigi I'm want to go to Glawsgow! Beter temperatures but alot wetter!! Or maybe Bristol, dentist schools are limited!

PrettyButterfly I have no idea where anywhere is. I am lost anywhere further than ASDA at Garthdee!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and same the othere way at bridge of Don!!!!!!!!

DoomedKumquat

DoomedKumquat

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 24, 2004 @ 12:57 PM

Is Cults the short form for Maryculter and Peterculter?

No. Cults, Maryculter and Peterculter are all seperate areas in Aberdeenshire.

As for Uni: Anywhere but here. It's not just the weather I'm wanting away from, but I just want to start somewhere fresh so I can learn to be completely independant. And being able to go out without my parents' consent is always a bonus :) Unless I change my mind drastically over the next two years, I'm hoping to go study medicine; staying in Scotland, that would mean Edinburgh and Glasgow (correct me if I'm wrong), or I'll go further south to Somewhere In England.

Is there anyone here who goes to a Scottish University?

PrettyButterfly

PrettyButterfly

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 2, 2004 @ 6:50 AM

I'm at the University of Aberdeen. I'm in fourth year now and it's not all bad. Just a bit stressful at the moment. I didn't want to leave Aberdeen at 18. Now I can't wait til I'm finished uni. I want to get away from here, even if it is only for two weeks on holiday.

We all sound like a great ad for Scotland. The weather sucks, it's full of neds, and we all want to leave as quickly as possible.

Visit Scotland!

Luigi

Luigi

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 14, 2004 @ 9:53 AM

Well, I don't go to a Scottish university, but I work for one. And Scotland isn't all bad. If it wasn't for the horrible climate we would never have invented as much good stuff. And we have lots of good pubs. (Oooops, sort of perpetuating a stereotype there...)

hakirby

hakirby

Fanatic

• Interests:SF, the paranormal, Bollywood, the outdoors and healthy living

Posted Apr 20, 2005 @ 7:49 PM

count me in, if something gets arranged...just nice to know that i'm not alone

RandomEliza

RandomEliza

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2005 @ 6:52 PM

I go to a Scottish university (St. Andrews), and there aren't THAT many neds where I am. (However, we've got far too many tourists. Ick. Almost worse than neds, I tell you.) But yeah, if the few Scotland-based TWoPers ever manage to organise something, I'd be up for having the excuse to get out of my tiny, tiny town (as much as I love it, of course) to celebrate snark.

And as for the swimming in the sea -- we've got an insane tradition where you go into the North Sea at dawn on May 1st. Seriously the stupidest thing I've ever done. Never, ever again.

Edited by RandomEliza, May 10, 2005 @ 6:55 PM.

Luigi

Luigi

Just Tuned In

Posted May 25, 2005 @ 12:56 PM

So, if we were actually to do this, who all would be up for it, and where would it be? We do seem to be strewn about all over the place.